AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2013-04-19, 09:23   Link #261
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Speaking of age regression.............why didn't Z have Ain regress his age a couple of times back to his prime? True, he was still strong but he was weaken from age and whatever else and wasn't even at current admiral level.
It's a possible plot-hole, but I'm thinking that it's because Z wanted to make one last stand before he died. Throughout his life, he had to experience some terrible tragedies, and we can see that he had become tired and exhausted. It's as though he wanted peace through death, but not before completing his final objective. Being restored to his youth kind of would have went against all that. Not to mention that Z is an honourable man, so it's questionable if he would want to "cheat" life like that.
Old 2013-04-19, 21:01   Link #262
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
It's a possible plot-hole, but I'm thinking that it's because Z wanted to make one last stand before he died. Throughout his life, he had to experience some terrible tragedies, and we can see that he had become tired and exhausted. It's as though he wanted peace through death, but not before completing his final objective. Being restored to his youth kind of would have went against all that. Not to mention that Z is an honourable man, so it's questionable if he would want to "cheat" life like that.
i agree. he didn't strike me as a sort of man who desired power or even revenge. he was an idealistic man disenchanted by reality. if he wanted revenge he would've gone after the pirates who ruined his life. instead he went after the root of the problem just like any "hero" would. only his means was cruel, twisted and even more ruthless that those of the pirates whom he despised the most.
Old 2013-04-20, 07:14   Link #263
Blackbeard D. Kuma

I will say this though, the excuse of an old person no longer being in their prime and sick just so Luffy could win should be used no more in these films. It's been used twice now with Shiki and Zephyr. The next film should have a different approach as to how Luffy will overcome his adversary.
Old 2013-04-20, 18:25   Link #264
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

I think I liked this movie a little more more than Strong World, but both have their ups and downs.

Strong World had more emotionally driven characters, an epic one-time-only finishing move against Shiki and a touching ending that made the bonds between the feel stronger than ever. The plot probably could have been better though IMO, something about breeding an army of animals to wage war doesn't wow me very much.

Film Z has a much better plot involving the Dyna Stones, way better fight choreography and a bittersweet ending with the death of an antagonist that a lot of the audience would have some slight sympathy for because of his tragic past. Unfortunately there wasn't much reason for the Strawhats to get involved this time around, Luffy only ultimately fought Zephyr because he abducted his hat.

So yeah, while I love both movies and what they gave me, I do personally find Film Z better.
Old 2013-04-20, 20:06   Link #265
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
I think I liked this movie a little more more than Strong World, but both have their ups and downs.

Strong World had more emotionally driven characters, an epic one-time-only finishing move against Shiki and a touching ending that made the bonds between the feel stronger than ever. The plot probably could have been better though IMO, something about breeding an army of animals to wage war doesn't wow me very much.

Film Z has a much better plot involving the Dyna Stones, way better fight choreography and a bittersweet ending with the death of an antagonist that a lot of the audience would have some slight sympathy for because of his tragic past. Unfortunately there wasn't much reason for the Strawhats to get involved this time around, Luffy only ultimately fought Zephyr because he abducted his hat.

So yeah, while I love both movies and what they gave me, I do personally find Film Z better.
I'm sorry...........but did you just say Strong World had more emotionally driven characters? Film Z was so much more emotionally charged than Strong World, Z alone had a million time better than Shiki emotionally and his relationship with his students and how it culminated was just amazing.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 20:12   Link #266
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
I'm sorry...........but did you just say Strong World had more emotionally driven characters? Film Z was so much more emotionally charged than Strong World, Z alone had a million time better than Shiki emotionally and his relationship with his students and how it culminated was just amazing.
I was actually referring to the Strawhats specifically there. Suppose I should have clarified that. Their relationship with Nami was a huge focal point of that movie after all. I felt Z in comparison the Strawhats visible feelings amongst themselves really didn't ever reach that same level.

Of course I don't deny Zephyr and his subordinates were much more sympathetic and emotionally charged antagonists than Shiki and his crew was.

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2013-04-20 at 20:24.
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 20:42   Link #267
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
I was actually referring to the Strawhats specifically there. Suppose I should have clarified that. Their relationship with Nami was a huge focal point of that movie after all. I felt Z in comparison the Strawhats visible feelings amongst themselves really didn't ever reach that same level.

Of course I don't deny Zephyr and his subordinates were much more sympathetic and emotionally charged antagonists than Shiki and his crew was.
Oh yes, but then again in Strong World Nami was kidnapped for most of the movie while none of the crew was in danger during Z (regression and fighting aside).
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 09:21   Link #268
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
I will say this though, the excuse of an old person no longer being in their prime and sick just so Luffy could win should be used no more in these films. It's been used twice now with Shiki and Zephyr. The next film should have a different approach as to how Luffy will overcome his adversary.
well technically, luffy didn't defeat zephyr. they both went down, nobody really won. zephyr just sort of bowed down claiming he was somehow satisfied. and then kizaru and the marines arrived. zephyr was really defeated by kizaru and his former subordinates, not luffy. that's how i saw it anyway.
Old 2013-04-21, 12:44   Link #269
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin myael View Post
well technically, luffy didn't defeat zephyr. they both went down, nobody really won. zephyr just sort of bowed down claiming he was somehow satisfied. and then kizaru and the marines arrived. zephyr was really defeated by kizaru and his former subordinates, not luffy. that's how i saw it anyway.
Luffy stood up after the fight and reclaimed his strawhat, whereas Zephyr was still lying on the ground asking Luffy to finish him off. I'd say that counts as a victory for Luffy. Of course, it was Zephyr's health that led to his defeat. Kizaru was there to pick up the leftovers.

One could interpret the scene as how you did, however, and that's perfectly fine.
Old 2013-04-22, 20:53   Link #270
ninetail1989
Dreamer

i just watched film z..

do they follow the manga ??or most of the stuff are made up or something?..

1>Aokiji lost his leg....i know from the manga he got quite a huge scar on his shoulder but didnt know about the leg.

2>Kizaru still an admiral??

3>New pacifista ...??raped by Franky...
ninetail1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 02:56   Link #271
bigdeal000
malefic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetail1989 View Post
i just watched film z..

1>Aokiji lost his leg....i know from the manga he got quite a huge scar on his shoulder but didnt know about the leg.

As far as I know, film Z was written by Oda, and he said it's semi-cannon (aka it follows the manga, but not completely). Now, about point 2, yes Kizaru is still an admiral, Aokiji is the one that lost his job. I dunno about the others...
bigdeal000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 05:02   Link #272
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Hands up who else cried when Z met his magnificent and heroic end?

*Hand Up*
Old 2013-04-23, 05:10   Link #273
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
Hands up who else cried when Z met his magnificent and heroic end?

*Hand Up*
I nearly cried. I just felt deep sympathy and sadness, but no tears.
Old 2013-04-23, 05:34   Link #274
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Z's death is THE ideal death for a man; on his feet, foes before him, with tears of love and respect shed in his honor.
Old 2013-04-23, 07:22   Link #275
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetail1989 View Post
i just watched film z..

1 and 2 are definitely canon. 3 not sure.
Old 2013-04-23, 09:18   Link #276
bigdeal000
malefic

I guess next time someone answers (s)he's gonna know about all three of them
bigdeal000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-02, 01:29   Link #277
tetsuo69

this movie was a let down for me, the fights were the worst imo.
Old 2013-05-05, 14:38   Link #278
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

Watching the film with subs was fun, either way though its a great film. Is it true that funimation already has the rights to this?

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Gintokifan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 01:53   Link #279
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

I've seen the film in cinema, and I have to say it was the best OP film I've seen , beating SW in a pulp. I don't know about the others, but I personally think that the fight scenes were well-done. The armament-imbued fist to fist battle between Z and Luffy was my favorite scene out of them all. And dayum, got a bit emotional with Z's last words to Luffy T___T

Anyway, FZ isn't canonical to the manga, right?
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 18:38   Link #280
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaKaBaKaOtaKu View Post
Anyway, FZ isn't canonical to the manga, right?
It can be argued that the film is semi-canon. Zephyr's past is canon. The last unknown shichibukai is also mentioned by Garp as the one who cut off Z's arm. Other than that, it doesn't really fit into the manga's storyline continuity.