Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-29, 19:17   Link #1
Ayame_
Ever Bright, Ever Blue
*Graphic Designer

Out of series again, need something addicting.

The well is dry again. I recently discovered and marathoned and fell in love with H2O~Footprints in the Sand, but I have nothing to go on after it. Might as well offer up some new suggestions.

Only stipulations is that im looking for newer series, animated after 2000 ideally and Im not really looking for something straight comedic like a School Rumble or a Lucky Star.
Spoiler for list:

Last edited by Ayame_; 2008-05-29 at 19:40.
Old 2008-05-29, 19:32   Link #2
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

True Tears is the best romance of 2008 so far and aired alongside H2O, so you might want to try that.
Kanon 2006 is kind of similar to Clannad and is from the same producers and animation studio, but it has more drama and a bit less comedy.

If you like mecha, try out Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, which regresses to the old-fashioned "Battles won by overflowing manliness", and is a fun action/comedy with drama and romance intertwined.
Also try Full Metal Panic!, which is a mecha action anime with a touch of romance and school life comedy. One of its sequels, Fumoffu!, is a straightforward comedy, but you can skip to the true sequel, The Second Raid! if you're not in the mood. However, it's easily one of the funniest series I have ever seen, so I personally wouldn't miss it.

And if I may, can I ask if you enjoyed Gundam 00? And if so, would you say you liked Gundam SEED or Gundam Wing more?
Thanks.
Old 2008-05-29, 19:39   Link #3
Ayame_
Ever Bright, Ever Blue
*Graphic Designer

Cool, I forgot to label a couple more dropped. I might return to FMA and Kanon and Air for that matter, but I just wasn't sucked into them right away. Might hit up Kanon in the meantime.

I actually did enjoy Gundam 00. The story was a bit better than SEED to me, and it was nice not having to deal with kids piloting Gundams for a while. Although Setsuna is pretty young, the others are older. I liked it better than Wing for sure and would put it equal to SEED. It also has a nice ending teaser which will get me into the second season. I had to give the series a chance, it was entertaining.
Old 2008-05-29, 23:03   Link #4
BladeStone

Kanon 2006 is definitely worth another look.
Old 2008-05-29, 23:36   Link #5
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

I tried to separte them in groups but you might wanna check them on ANN.

Seto no Hanayome --> Funniest anime i've ever seen. I dont remember laughing like this since FMP Fumoffu =D

Drama/Romance
Myself Yourself
Saikano
Gift (this one has some supernatural in it)

Screapple Princess
Elemental Gerade

Black Lagoon
Hellsing

Bambo Blade --> School / Slice of Life
Seirei no Moribito --> Great story, amazing fighting scenes and animation.
Twelve Kingdoms --> Similar to SnM
Old 2008-05-30, 02:02   Link #6
mandarb916

in order of quality from Key based productions, AIR > KANON >> Clannad. The problem with AIR is the ending is a little convoluted and difficult to comprehend...however if you can comprehend it, it's probably one of the best series out there overall. Personally, I think it's better than anything Studio Ghibli has put out.

KANON 2006 in and of itself is pretty good...the animation is top notch, the storyline is lacking. If you were to rewatch KANON 2006, like I've said in other posts, I think you'll appreciate the series much more if you also watch KANON 2002. They supplement each other very well.

Myself; Yourself was lacking in some aspects (basically how it wrapped up various arcs a little too abruptly) but I think it has some similarities to H2O. Nanaka shares some similarities with Takuma (not personality-wise) in having a traumatic childhood event causing memory loss, and with it, other problems in life. Ironically, they're voiced by the same VA as well (Koshimizu Ami). You might find Oribe Aoi to be obnoxious as her voice role is really...how should I put it...in some aspects a lot more crazy than Kyouka from Kyouran Kazoku Nikki...I found it to be hilarious. But as I'm alluding to at the beginning, I think this one will fit your bill very well in regards to H2O.
Old 2008-05-30, 02:26   Link #7
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarb916 View Post
in order of quality from Key based productions, AIR > KANON >> Clannad. The problem with AIR is the ending is a little convoluted and difficult to comprehend...however if you can comprehend it, it's probably one of the best series out there overall. Personally, I think it's better than anything Studio Ghibli has put out.
While I agree with most of this (not being a fan of Ghibli), it's not Air's ending that's convoluted, it was everything after Tohno's arc and before the ending.
Spoiler for Slight spoilers:

I generally place Air and Kanon 2006 on equal terms, since Air is above Kanon in terms of storyline, but Kanon 2006 told its story much better than Air did.
Clannad is still a fun series, though it can't measure up to either of its predecessors in terms of drama; it's one of the best comedy-drama mixes I've seen, complemented with great production values and a great lead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarb916 View Post
KANON 2006 in and of itself is pretty good...the animation is top notch, the storyline is lacking. If you were to rewatch KANON 2006, like I've said in other posts, I think you'll appreciate the series much more if you also watch KANON 2002. They supplement each other very well.
The storyline isn't necessarily "lacking". Part of one of the character's arc was rather confusing, but again, not nearly on the level of Air.

I also can't bring myself to continue watching Kanon 2002, even though I began it before watching its remake.

Thanks for your input on Gundam SEED and Gundam Wing too. I sort of asked for suggestions in someone else's thread though.

I would also suggest Macross Frontier as a currently airing series. It's a mecha action that focuses a lot on characters with great animation and epic battles.
Also, do you plan on continuing Da Capo? While I found D.C.S.S. and D.C. II to be rather mediocre, D.C. II S.S. is rather good, albeit a bit rushed at times.

Maybe also Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora if you want a short romance/drama. It's a six-episode series about a pair of teenagers in a hospital and the trials they face together.
REC is another short romance with a slight slice-of-life feel revolving around two mature characters. It's an entertaining and realistic romance, and it does drama well without overdoing it.
Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu is another short romance series with a sci-fi/fantasy feel that you might want to try out too. It's not like many other romances in its execution of the female lead's problems, but I found it to be good overall.
Old 2008-05-30, 02:53   Link #8
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

try history's strongest disciple kenichi
Old 2008-05-30, 03:16   Link #9
mandarb916

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
The storyline isn't necessarily "lacking". Part of one of the character's arc was rather confusing, but again, not nearly on the level of Air.

I also can't bring myself to continue watching Kanon 2002, even though I began it before watching its remake.
uh...
a lot is missing from Kanon 2006. Just as an example, Mai's arc is completely devoid as to the reason why Sayuri's friends with her and the developments between the school, Sayuri, and Mai...one of the key concepts of that particular arc. On the contrary, 2002 animation is horrible, but does a much better job of covering this aspect amongst other things in various arcs.
Old 2008-05-30, 03:51   Link #10
oompa loompa

ill second FMP. if watched in large doses ( esp TSR) you can delve into some severe anime addiction
Old 2008-05-30, 06:06   Link #11
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
Though its been said, if you like Clannad, you'll probably like Air and Kanon as well. All there stories have the same style, even though they have different plot lines. (Of the the three Air is the most different.) You also count out Lucky Star, while having seen Azumanga Daioh...and I have to say both shows have more similarities than differences.

I might suggest Claymore as well. It is a darker more mature action show, akin to Bleach in some ways. It is about a sect of female warriors that hunt demons...nothing new, but the fact they are half-demons themselves, keeps it fresh and new. In particular 5-9, the second major story arc is nothing short of breath taking.

There's plenty of good Clamp anime you haven't seem to seen. Many people like Chobits as a romantic comedy, though I personally wasn't as thrilled with it. XXXHolic is an interesting story mixing both traditional Japanese myths with some cliches...though the best element to me about it was undoubtedly how it looks into the human soul.

Fruits basket is older, but is comedy with touches of romance and drama. The ending was lacking in my opinion, however.

Scrapped Princess's reminds me alot of FMA, with a mix of tech and magic. Both have large casts of likable characters. Plus mecha as well eventually.

Ginban Kaleidoscope is about a girl wanting to be a world class ice skater...the catch is you'd expect her to be happy and optimistic, but her heart has chilled from being on the ice so long...she's cynic and unhappy because her chances aren't so good. As a twist, she's possessed by a Canadian Ghost with an disposition completely opposite her own. It has comedy and drama, and a touch of a bittersweet romance.

Voices of a Distant Star is a single ova...normally I tend to think OVAs can't do very much unsupported by a main story, but this one changed my mind. It is about nothing short of how love triumphs all, even space and time. There's some decent Mecha fighting scenes as well, but it isn't the focus of the show.

Spice and Wolf is an interesting fantasy based show. It has really strong and...complicated characters that develop. There's some action but it takes a backseat to character interaction. Its only crime is it is too short.

Shion no Oro is a show about a girl whose parents were murdered before her eyes...and she lost the ability to speak...and now is competing basically in a Japanese Chess league. It connects the two different stories fairly well together.

Utarerumono is the best of the best in fantasy anime. It has both mass battles and individual ones, though it takes time to actually have characters change and grow up. I really love the dynamic characters because the journey...the adventure should change them or it didn't have much of a point. It has a touch of romance which is interesting and well done in its realism. Finally, it has interesting philosophy...and dare I say, a morale within its story line. And that alone separates it from the masses of bad fantasy.
Old 2008-05-30, 11:02   Link #12
Ayame_
Ever Bright, Ever Blue
*Graphic Designer

Whoa, lots of stuff to look at, thanks a bundle.
Quote:
Ginban Kaleidoscope is about a girl wanting to be a world class ice skater...the catch is you'd expect her to be happy and optimistic, but her heart has chilled from being on the ice so long...she's cynic and unhappy because her chances aren't so good. As a twist, she's possessed by a Canadian Ghost with an disposition completely opposite her own. It has comedy and drama, and a touch of a bittersweet romance.
Canadians ghost? Like seriously? Anime needs more Canadians lol. I think ill check that out just to be faithful to my homeland.

@qtipbrit92, No worries, glad I could drop in some input. I figured since I always had it recommended to me on here I might as well watch it so I would stop coming up But it was better than that, so I would recommend checking it out. It has such a different feeling than a SEED that its a nice change of pace regardless.

@Most of everyone, The Clannad-Air-Kanon thing really gets steam when it gets discussed eh? Clannad had a decent amount of fun to it. It didn't take itself that seriously so that was a good change. I think I might be at a prime time to go back in and watch Kanon and Air after something like H2O.

Thanks guys, anymore are appreciated, I have substantial time to get to series.
Old 2008-05-30, 16:30   Link #13
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
Yeah, he's a Canadian ghost alright, that just happens to have grew up in Japan so he speaks perfect Japanese, even after death. It's a shojo anime primarily, with a mixing of skating and comedy. It isn't a deep meaningful show, but very much a fun one. There's some fun stereotypes but for the most part he is seen in a positive light...Of course, character from the States is pure evil.
Old 2008-05-31, 18:42   Link #14
Ayame_
Ever Bright, Ever Blue
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telmah View Post
Yeah, he's a Canadian ghost alright, that just happens to have grew up in Japan so he speaks perfect Japanese, even after death. It's a shojo anime primarily, with a mixing of skating and comedy. It isn't a deep meaningful show, but very much a fun one. There's some fun stereotypes but for the most part he is seen in a positive light...Of course, character from the States is pure evil.
Thats so random. Being Canadian Im used to our stereotypes but its still odd to see that angle in an anime. Canada seems pretty far removed from anything useful to an anime. I think I might check it out, but Im going to rewatch Higurashi and then try Kanon/Air again.
Old 2008-06-02, 06:44   Link #15
Arkuatic

Dunno about everyone else, but i found Lucky Stars pretty addicting
Old 2008-06-02, 07:48   Link #16
lolxman

I'm not sure if you'll be interested in this : Hikaru No Go ( 75Episodes ). It ranked one of the highest at AnimeNfo. The release stir the anime community back then and make a mad-rush for GO lesson in Japan. The music and plot...god(some comedy here and there, but the story is straight and real), you have to feel them yourselves. Addictive ? See it yourselves. Hope someone else will up on this one.

http://animestreamlist.com/blog/arch...u-no-go/page/6

For others,

Ginban Kaleidoscope : Nice anime, average, I'm not so moved by the ending it could have been better.

Kanon2006 : One of the most beautiful anime out there, both graphically and storyline.

Claymore : Blood, some glory. I cant decided whether its good or bad, have to wait for the second season.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann : Epic war, one of those that will blow you away. But it's short at 27ep and get childish at some scence
Old 2008-06-02, 07:53   Link #17
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Hikaru no Go ranks high on my "addictive" scale, too. Partly it's the fact that so many episodes have cliff-hangers. Monster can also be pretty addictive for some of the same reasons.

What's remarkable about both shows is that they maintain their addictive character for over 70 episodes.
Old 2008-06-02, 08:04   Link #18
lolxman

Oh, yes, how can I forget Monster. The mystery carries on forever... ...
Old 2008-06-03, 22:20   Link #19
Boduar

For an action/adventure type anime I would recommend Kiba which after thinking about it nobody seems to know/like(?). Rewatched the last episode which made me remember exactly how awesome it is especially some episodes.
Old 2008-06-04, 01:13   Link #20
mandarb916

Kaleido Star
It follows a girl named Sora who's dreamed of joining the Kaleido Stage (think Cirque du Soleil) ever since she was a kid, and manages to join the troupe. One of the very few anime that deals with circuses and (obviously debatable) imho one of Gonzo's best productions, if not the best. Voice acting is top notch, and was Hirohashi Ryo's rise to popularity. Each episode is very heart warming, similar to ARIA, but isn't drowsy compared to ARIA...ARIA takes a rather leisurely and relaxed pace every ep. Kaleido Star is moves along at a better clip. I scoffed at it, initially, because I really didn't have much interest in circuses, but got tricked into watching ep1 on nicovideo.jp and it just sucked me in from there.

It still remains relatively well rated, atleast from anecdotal evidence, even to this day in Japan.
Closed Thread