AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

View Poll Results: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei OVA - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 35 31.53%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 19.82%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 28 25.23%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 11.71%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 6.31%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 2.70%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.80%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.90%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-18, 01:04   Link #21
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Popularity has its advantages I suppose. Rena seems to be the most recognizable cast member...though they could throw us a real curveball and make it a yuri (or dare I say yaoi) pairing just for humors sake.
Old 2009-02-18, 03:36   Link #22
Eryops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The assumption is they will use Rena's Daybreak scenario, but I guess we won't know until something like August.

As for this episode....it was better than I hoped.
They're not using a scenario from the game. They're adopting Ryukishi07's existing adaptation of Higurashi Daybreak, Hirukowashi-hen.
Old 2009-02-18, 08:27   Link #23
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Certainly, the art was a MASSIVE upgrade even from Kai... Though I question the choice of Shion's two-piece.
Ironically, I felt the complete opposite: that the new art is a massive downgrade.
My biggest gripes are most notably the "lifeless" eyes and especially the proportions. These are more similar to the first season (Satoko and Rika with very thin limbs, rather spheric heads etc), and the characters look terribly skinny. And somehow, Frederica's eyes got a very weird treatment, ad they are much more horizontal than needed.
At least, curves are alright with the girls (except maybe Mion and Shion chests, tad exaggerated despite they were already stacked to begin with in the previous series).

Good grief they didn't give the oily/shiny aspect that Vandread had, or it would turn into a borderline fake ecchi series look.
Old 2009-02-18, 08:30   Link #24
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

Isn't original release date is 25.02.2009 ? Of course, everyone knows about raw (with very interesting logo at the bottom), but really ?
Old 2009-02-18, 08:32   Link #25
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Yep, the DVD release is scheduled on the 25th.
Old 2009-02-18, 08:35   Link #26
Skullchukka
Letter from lost days ~

I'm one of the ones that have to wait an English sub... ^^

Aah.. Sigh
Old 2009-02-18, 11:41   Link #27
Mistypearl
Whack and Unwrap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Ironically, I felt the complete opposite: that the new art is a massive downgrade.
My biggest gripes are most notably the "lifeless" eyes and especially the proportions. These are more similar to the first season (Satoko and Rika with very thin limbs, rather spheric heads etc), and the characters look terribly skinny. And somehow, Frederica's eyes got a very weird treatment, ad they are much more horizontal than needed.
At least, curves are alright with the girls (except maybe Mion and Shion chests, tad exaggerated despite they were already stacked to begin with in the previous series).

Good grief they didn't give the oily/shiny aspect that Vandread had, or it would turn into a borderline fake ecchi series look.

I know! The lifeless eyes creep. me. out. And they aren't supposed to! (For the most of the time ) But yeah, I liked the Kai art alot. The Rei art looks fine on paper, but once they start moving it looks really wierd to me.
Old 2009-02-18, 15:15   Link #28
Ryuugu-chan
.....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistypearl View Post
I know! The lifeless eyes creep. me. out. And they aren't supposed to! (For the most of the time ) But yeah, I liked the Kai art alot. The Rei art looks fine on paper, but once they start moving it looks really wierd to me.
How unusual,I got used to the eyes after watching the ova.
..Then again,I did watch the opening and ending 8 times(each? I can't recall) before watching the ova.
Still,in the preview,they look..Different
Old 2009-02-18, 16:26   Link #29
kimichan09
Kimiko Ashihara

Send a message via AIM to kimichan09 Send a message via MSN to kimichan09
I personally really liked the first episode! It was a nice beginning to a more serious middle story. :3

The art was nice too! ^-^ I thought the eyes were very pretty! *3* The only downfall to episode 1 was all the MANSERVICE. D8 I didnt like all that... Seeing a bronze Kei-chan butt wasnt very pretty. And he had a MAJOR wedgie or something! *has been blinded*

Though the Tomitake shield of doom was pretty epic! ;D

But so far, I give it a 9.5. ^^

Created byNabiki Asakura
Old 2009-02-18, 21:25   Link #30
Kazuki_Kun

I didn't like it.

Not one for fanservice, so yeah. It all felt rather forced, to be honest. Some scenes were rather amusing, but it did get very OTT very quickly.

It felt like it wasn't even Higurashi and could've jsut been an episode from any old fanservice-y anime.

Here's to hoping Rei will restore my faith in these OVA's =/
Old 2009-02-18, 21:48   Link #31
Bennyswan
Hmmm.....
*Artist

Pretty funny episode, loving the new opening.

Do want full version...... >:] anyone knows when it comes out?
Old 2009-02-19, 01:11   Link #32
Rias

Usually I would complain about this and that about higurashi anime, but ep1 of Rei is actually quite well done. They actually included tons of elements that were cut from the first two season, which is a nice touch. I dunno how the people who doesn't know about stuff like Soul Brothers or Angel Mort Festival would react to this epsiode, but I personally liked that they included those stuff back...and that would probably apply to the rest of the series, as the preview already mentions the dice-rolling element which was cut out from Minagoroshi/Matsuribyashi-hen

As for the art...as Klashkari pointed out, the eyes are weird sometimes. It would be great to use as Oyashirosama-mode, but seeing that it's also in the preview, I guess that's the direction they have taken. Another thing that gets me is the weird proportions/locations of the head and body for some of the male characters, namely Keiichi and Ooishi. Sometimes their head is lower than where their head is usually is...and that's taking into account of their posture at the time and such.
Old 2009-02-19, 04:43   Link #33
rainbow_rena
*Artist

to me, i feel higurashi went so perverted T_T
Old 2009-02-19, 09:34   Link #34
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well there was always that hint of pervertion in the series. It was mainly in the background, early episodes in an arc before things got serious. While K1 is considered the Pervert of Hinamizawa, if you pay attention, you'll see that Rika is more perverted than K1.

And while you don't have Hanyuu is a swimsuit, I did notice that her dress seems to be shorter this episode.
Old 2009-02-19, 18:04   Link #35
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

I actually love the new style, I don't know why but I find it cuter than the previous two used. I even like the eyes, in fact I've been in love with the new style ever since the first picture was released a while back. It's closer to the style I like to see and aim to draw like myself. :3

The episode itself was interesting, I found myself laughing at certain parts and it was overall well done. A bit fanservicey but I've seen worse (*coughzeronotsukaimacough*) and it was already obvious that they were going in that direction anyway. My favorite parts were the ones with Hanyuu, Shion, and Chie. I found them to be the most entertaining to watch.

I found some parts to be a bit much, like Takano's introduction and a certain scene with Keiichi showing off his bathing suit. It wasn't perfect of course and there were a couple of moments I could have done without. It was definitely more of a joke episode and shouldn't be taken at all seriously, which is nice since Higurashi is a usually more serious kind of series. I quite like how Higurashi is usually though, and while this episode was nice to watch I really could've have done without it and skipped straight to Saikoroshi-hen. *w*

Speaking of Saikoroshi-hen, the preview looked pretty interesting, I can't wait to see the first episode of it! ^^

Last edited by momobunny; 2009-02-19 at 20:25.
Old 2009-02-21, 00:05   Link #36
Ryuugu-chan
.....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maho Momo View Post
I actually love the new style, I don't know why but I find it cuter than the previous two used. I even like the eyes, in fact I've been in love with the new style ever since the first picture was released a while back. It's closer to the style I like to see and aim to draw like myself. :3
The artstyle looks different now from the original Rei poster,I suppose they changed it.

..I like both Kai and Rei's style equally,but I have to agree this is somewhat cuter
Old 2009-02-21, 02:47   Link #37
Marion
The Great Dine

Time for commenting!~

Spoiler for Episode 1 (it's big and spoils all around):

Well that's all I have to say. It's pretty big so I spoiler tagged it :P
Old 2009-02-21, 06:46   Link #38
SealedTime
Bernkastel's Follower

Mm
Random plot but hey, it's Higurashi and I miss it.
Old 2009-02-21, 11:03   Link #39
Orophin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
OP - I loved the music and all but really the video was very...random. One moment I see Rika sitting around outside the school in a few positions, then Rika's hatchet flies down to the sky, then Satoko gives me a mean look and then I see the silhouette of Rika riding her bike while giant Satoshi head pops out trying to eat her! It wasn't very consistent at times in my opinion.
It will make a lot more sense to you once you watch Saikoroshi-hen.
Old 2009-02-21, 13:59   Link #40
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orophin View Post
It will make a lot more sense to you once you watch Saikoroshi-hen.
-already played Saikoroshi-hen before- XD; It's not the issue that: I don't know what's going on. It's that the coordination is so random.
Closed Thread