AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Full Metal Panic

Notices

Old 2009-02-05, 13:11   Link #1041
Subzero00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Teg View Post
According to the cover of the Newtype magazine of this month the new series of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya will start in April.
Long term is this good or bad for full metal panic
Subzero00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-05, 16:52   Link #1042
Meatrose
Antihero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzero00 View Post
Long term is this good or bad for full metal panic
Hard to tell. They're not really related at all. Or well, Kadokawa is holding the rights for both franchises, but other than that, no.

Anyhow, the Haruhi-CM turned out to be for a rerun of season 1. They're trolling the Haruhists once again. Well, the marketing for the anticipated second season of Suzumiya Haruhi has been... really weird... so far. The first season was about the Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi but the "second season" is about the Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi. They gave the fans a teaser that suggested that a second season was more or less in production (2 years ago, July 7th IIRC). They later said that the show was "canceled" ("she disappeared") and now that they released a CM featuring artwork from the disappearance-novel while talking about a "relaunch", most fans assumed that it was all part of the marketing, that it was PR.

Anyhow, Haruhists will have to patiently wait for NewType to be released before they really know what's going on. Scans should arrive in like 5 days or so. The thing is, the following is said on the front cover:

"TV anime broadcasts commence in April"
"The Haruhi TV anime is finally underway!"

We now "know" that the first line refers to the rebroadcast of the first season. The other line could very well be some info on the second season. Like I said, we'll have to wait for the scans from NewType to surface.

I remember an old statement that suggested that KyoAni would be working on a new Haruhi, that they would be working on a new "Munto" (Sora wo Miageru Shoujo no Hitomi ni Utsuru Sekai or "Munto TV" is airing as we speak) and that they would be working on a "Light Novel adaptation" in the future. That Light Novel adaptation could possibly be FMP-related, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Kadokawa is calling the shots and they've been playing around with the Haruhists for quite some time but haven't even mentioned FMP as far as I know.

We're back at square 1 - don't hold your breath but keep your fingers crossed.

Edit: NOTE: I know very little about Haruhi, so if some Haruhist reads this - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about something.
Old 2009-02-06, 01:56   Link #1043
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
I don't know if this right to say but concerning the disappearance of Haruhi the title of the light novels went like this.

Suzumiya Haruhi Volume 1 - The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
Suzumiya Haruhi Volume 2 - The Sighs of Suzumiya Haruhi
Suzumiya Haruhi Volume 3 - The Boredom of Suzumiya Haruhi
Suzumiya Haruhi Volume 4 - The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi
Suzumiya Haruhi Volume 5 - The Rampage of Suzumiya Haruhi
Suzumiya Haruhi Volume 6 - The Wavering of Suzumiya Haruhi
Suzumiya Haruhi Volume 7 - The Intrigues of Suzumiya Haruhi
Suzumiya Haruhi Volume 8 - The Indignation of Suzumiya Haruhi

I've only read the first three so far - I've got the rest it's just the novels don't interest me as much as the anime did - and from watching the anime we saw the use of "The Sighs of Suzumiya Haruhi" and "The Boredom of Suzumiya Haruhi" as titles to multiple episodes.

So perhaps they are picking up the new series from the fourth novel. The anime ended towards the end of the second light novel but it featured a couple of side stories - like on the island - from later novels.

Just my thoughts.

I've been reading the FMP! novels the last few days and I can't wait to see BOMF animated. Oh man, bring on Nami!

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 15:19   Link #1044
acr429

The news that the “Haruhi TV Anime” was set to air in April, thought by all to be either the long awaited second series or an almost unbelievably perverse marketing stunt, in fact does turn out to be a carefully worded piece of deception: it refers only to a rerun of the previously aired first season of Haruhi

Fans are predictably outraged, though it remains to be seen whether they will finally abandon the series, or will merely grumble and obediently commence purchasing should a new series actually emerge.

The dread confirmation emerged after direct enquiries to Kadokawa, which drew official confirmation that it was merely their grandiose way of pulling in the punters to view their repeat airing.

Strange that they wouldn’t bother to mention the fact that the new airing was a repeat of the first season in any of their material?

Their use of just “TV anime” without mentioning the name of the series now seems retrospectively suspect, and their deliberate efforts to incite speculation about the 2nd season, only to then deceive fans with weaselled wording, is surely nothing more than wilful and reprehensible deception.

Is this some disastrous attempt at generating “buzz”, or are their marketing departments entirely staffed by incompetents? Certainly, fans will likely not believe a word they say from here on, and quite sensibly too.

Source: Sankaku Complex

so what does this really mean
since no S2 yet.
acr429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 16:06   Link #1045
Meatrose
Antihero

Quote:
Originally Posted by acr429 View Post
so what does this really mean
since no S2 yet.
Well, I guess we shouldn't discuss Haruhi here, but it could be considered slightly related to FMP! since they're both done by KyoAni and Kadokawa is holding the rights for both franchises.

Anyhow, what it means is essentially this. Kadokawa's marketing department has, once again, actively trolled the Haruhists. NewType is their magazine, and it was announced that the March issue would contain some exciting information on Haruhi. The picture on the cover as well as the commercial (narrated by Hirano Aya, the seiyuu voicing Suzumiya Haruhi) featured a long haired Haruhi in her black clothes, something that directly refers to the novel on which the infamous second season would be based - The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi. They willingly and knowingly designed both the CM and the cover so that fans would believe that it was a confirmation of the long awaited second season. It turned out that all the magazine had to say on the matter was that the first season will get a rerun starting April 2009. No information about a second season whatsoever. Epic troll.

Anyhow, KyoAni's spring project has been revealed to be K-ON!. It's a 4koma manga that tells the story of some high school girls that join the music club in order to save it from being shut down, and they do this without having any real talent. Looks quite promising in my opinion, but Haruhists are probably marching for war as we speak.

As an FMP! supporter I don't quite know what I would prefer; being trolled or simply hearing nothing. Being trolled would still suggest that Kadokawa admits that the franchise exists. What would you guys prefer? Being tricked to believe that a sequel is about to be produced only to be slapped in the face by the truth once it's revealed or simply hearing nothing at all?
Old 2009-02-09, 19:20   Link #1046
Subzero00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatrose View Post
Well, I guess we shouldn't discuss Haruhi here, but it could be considered slightly related to FMP! since they're both done by KyoAni and Kadokawa is holding the rights for both franchises.

Anyhow, what it means is essentially this. Kadokawa's marketing department has, once again, actively trolled the Haruhists. NewType is their magazine, and it was announced that the March issue would contain some exciting information on Haruhi. The picture on the cover as well as the commercial (narrated by Hirano Aya, the seiyuu voicing Suzumiya Haruhi) featured a long haired Haruhi in her black clothes, something that directly refers to the novel on which the infamous second season would be based - The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi. They willingly and knowingly designed both the CM and the cover so that fans would believe that it was a confirmation of the long awaited second season. It turned out that all the magazine had to say on the matter was that the first season will get a rerun starting April 2009. No information about a second season whatsoever. Epic troll.

Anyhow, KyoAni's spring project has been revealed to be K-ON!. It's a 4koma manga that tells the story of some high school girls that join the music club in order to save it from being shut down, and they do this without having any real talent. Looks quite promising in my opinion, but Haruhists are probably marching for war as we speak.

As an FMP! supporter I don't quite know what I would prefer; being trolled or simply hearing nothing. Being trolled would still suggest that Kadokawa admits that the franchise exists. What would you guys prefer? Being tricked to believe that a sequel is about to be produced only to be slapped in the face by the truth once it's revealed or simply hearing nothing at all?

Any thing that kyoto do that gives some hope to Full metal panic is a Big step in the right direction even if its just a slap in the face in the end.
Old 2009-02-12, 03:57   Link #1047
The Quack-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatrose View Post
Hmmmmmmm Good question There are both positives & negatives to either scenario.
I know that I would be hugely excited about any news about a fourth season, let alone any 'confirmation' - of course I would be quite rightly p*ssed off if I heard that it was a set-up dreamed up by some retarded marketing tool. But as you wrote, at least Kado. would be acknowledging FMP's existence & possible further potential - sizing up & gauging the market's desire for another series. I've seen the 'elaborate' (sarcasism used there) fake of the FMP4 trailer currently doing the rounds on Youtube.

Then again, on the other hand............"no news is good news" yes..................??
The Quack-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-23, 02:23   Link #1048
Revalent

It is really sad to see FMP sales being low compared to the other hit series that was produced by KyotoAnimations... pretty undeservingly so to me.

But keep your heads up people, FMP shall return and we shall have our day
Revalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-23, 14:23   Link #1049
Subzero00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revalent View Post
It is really sad to see FMP sales being low compared to the other hit series that was produced by KyotoAnimations... pretty undeservingly so to me.

But keep your heads up people, FMP shall return and we shall have our day
I hope your right
Old 2009-02-23, 14:24   Link #1050
Subzero00

Also I just finished watching haruhi and it's nothing compared to fmp. Why is it so famous

Last edited by Subzero00; 2009-02-23 at 14:36.
Old 2009-02-23, 22:57   Link #1051
Revalent

I don't understand that fact as well haha.

Just maybe at that time FMP wasn't really properly exposed to the public etc etc?
Old 2009-02-24, 15:59   Link #1052
Kovikow

Yeah i dont get it either why is FMP so unknown, at least compared to famous animes. I guess its subjective whats the good anime, everyone has different taste. Im not a mecha fan thought, thats not what got me in FMP.
Hm im waiting for years now for new series, and it must be true that they are waiting for the novels to be finished. But I dont wanna read it, damn i wanna SEE the rest of the story, not reading it. XD Btw i dont want them to give it to another studios, they would just ruin the graphics, or dont know, change it, and that would be wrong. I think the graphics in the TSR was the best yet, hope they stay at that.
Kovikow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-25, 02:06   Link #1053
Revalent

I agree, the graphics and style was great in the FMP series. I wasn't that of a mecha fan either, I actually watched fumoffu first and didn't know there was a real series about it (haha), and thoroughly enjoyed it. That made me search for a real series and then yeah, just gotta love it.
Old 2009-02-25, 06:27   Link #1054
Subzero00

At this point I don't care what studio does it. I think that's the only way we'll get another series
Old 2009-02-26, 04:57   Link #1055
User91411
Disabled By Request

Here's my personal beliefs on the whole FMP new series issue...
  • Not The Big Hit - As you guys know, series like Haruhi, Lucky Star and Clannad sell a lot more then FMP. Maybe FMP wasn't marketed right, maybe people didn't like the idea of a romantic comedy sliced with mecha action, but I don't know.
  • KyoAni Are Waiting - As you people know, FMP is based on a series of novels made by Shinji Gatou, who is an employee in KyoAni FTY, and TSR, which was based on the two-part book End of Day by Day, had a really open-ended finale with Sousuke and Kaname not having admitted their feelings for each other and with the new threat of Leonard and Amalgam. I believe that fans who had not known of the books beforehand were really disappointed by TSR's ending with the whole open-endness of it, and when Gatou gets the final book down, they'll finally start work on a new FMP series, including DVMC, COMO, BOMF, CAMD, ANOT and the last novel. As we've seen with the original Gonzo FMP series, they managed to fit 3 books plus an original scenario plus a few comedy side stories into a 24 episode anime. Imagine a 26 episode odyssey of FMP! lol

Last edited by User91411; 2009-02-26 at 05:16.
User91411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-26, 05:11   Link #1056
Revalent

Well hopefully thats their plan...

Hey, romantic gut-splitting comedy with good action is always a great watch
Old 2009-02-26, 06:14   Link #1057
slash502

i went to japan for a holiday recently, came back 3 days ago, walked around akihabara for 2 days, sadly enough, didnt see one single item thats related to full metal panic, while haruhi, lucky star and clannad were everywhere

i think fmp only appeals to a certain small group of people, doesnt mean it is not as good as the other kyoani animes, just look at it like a classical musician and a pop singer, being more popular doesnt mean being better musically.

OMFG though, i need to know what happens next!! its killing me and i will never read the novels even if i die, and i will die soon if they dont at least tell us that its coming in the next 2 years.

by the way clannad after story is really good, check it out you guys, i know its not fmp, its cheesy and all, but seriously the story is beautiful, im kind of glad that im in a shithole in life at the moment, otherwise i wouldnt have picked up clannad hehe
slash502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-26, 08:29   Link #1058
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
for a while now in Perth ive heard of the full metal panic series and heard how good it was but not really taken much notice of it (what a mistake). but recently i have had my tonsils out and decided to rent all three series out. as soon as i started watching it i was hooked from the first episode and watched all three series in a couple of days then went on line and bought all three series and have already re-watched a few times and am so addicted that if there is not a new series soon i am going to die i need to know what happens after the second raid

all FMP needs is a decent sized new series and a marketing campaign to match haruhi, lucky star, and clanned because there sure isnt a shortage of people dieing for a new series and all this waiting is really irritating but they could be waiting for the current story line in the novels series to be finished and tie up some of the loose ends in that before they start production on the new series. but sitting around and waiting for an announcement for something to happen is killing me.
Full Metal Coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-26, 15:07   Link #1059
Revalent

Haruhi, Clannad and Lucky star is everywhere, maybe thats why they are that popular..? Better marketing strategies put into play with these new series? I agree with Full Metal Coast, maybe they need to have a marketing campaign just as good as the others? (I have no knowledge of the marketing of FMP back then so correct me if I'm wrong.)
Old 2009-02-26, 20:36   Link #1060
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
no relevant you pretty much got it right it you dont get a product out there no one knows about it and therefor no one will buy.

but i would of thought with FMP's fanbase at a pretty solid level already they wouldnt have to much trouble getting on top and attracting more people as it is one of the best anime ever.

i would be dream to do the marketing for them for free even just because then ill know that a new series will definitely be on the way
Full Metal Coast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
there is a god!