AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-10-16, 09:39   Link #381
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I don't think Darkness is going to focus much on Rito's love life. At least, not for a while. It's called a spin-off after all (yes, I do think there is a real reason for that), therefore the narrative viewpoint will most likely change from Rito to Yami. He was still the main character at the beginning of the first chatper only as a way to re-establish the setting.
Old 2010-10-16, 09:40   Link #382
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Personally i think it's called a spin-off just to cover up why the first series ended . Sure it looks like the focus will be on the 'smaller' girls then mainly Lala and Haruna, though that side of the story will always be it's heart.

Can't see Rito being removed from the main character slot. Not at all.
Old 2010-10-16, 10:10   Link #383
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I said only for a while, I'm sure the story will get back to its roots once Yami's past is dealt with. For the time being though, I think she'll be the main character.
Old 2010-10-16, 11:27   Link #384
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I said only for a while, I'm sure the story will get back to its roots once Yami's past is dealt with. For the time being though, I think she'll be the main character.
I don't know if i'd say main character, but yeah the focus should be set on her going by the cliffhanger we had at the end of the first chapter.
Old 2010-10-16, 12:13   Link #385
wingman32x

I view the "spinoff" as a continuation with a Momo and Yami twist. The shift to those two was pretty blatant. However, it showed clear signs of continuation as well (The only way it could have been more obvious is if Rito directly referenced what happened in 162.). But it's different enough to technically be called a spinoff. I think the focus will stay on Momo and Yami for the most part.
wingman32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 12:16   Link #386
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

How is this a spin off? This is a sequel. Spin offs only include a couple of old characters with mostly new ones. We only have one new character so far and all of the old ones are back.
Old 2010-10-16, 12:56   Link #387
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
How is this a spin off? This is a sequel. Spin offs only include a couple of old characters with mostly new ones. We only have one new character so far and all of the old ones are back.
Basically my point against calling it a spin-off.
Old 2010-10-16, 13:02   Link #388
wingman32x

I wouldn't call it a continuation, either. The focus of the series has clearly shifted. If it was a continuation, it would still revolve around Lala and Haruna. Which it's not. There's nothing to indicate they'll ever regain their old positions. It would be stupid if they did IMO, because literally everything has been hinting that this is Momo and Yami's series.
wingman32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 13:18   Link #389
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman32x View Post
I wouldn't call it a continuation, either. The focus of the series has clearly shifted. If it was a continuation, it would still revolve around Lala and Haruna. Which it's not. There's nothing to indicate they'll ever regain their old positions. It would be stupid if they did IMO, because literally everything has been hinting that this is Momo and Yami's series.
It hasn't centered around Lala or Haruna in ages. This is just like any other arc change in a harem series.

One reason I lost interest in the first series is because the attention to the Lala/Haruna/Rito triangle was lost.
Old 2010-10-16, 15:08   Link #390
Used Can

I think this is called a spin-off, because this time around, the main girls will be Momo and Yami. Personally, I think the first chapter made that rather clear.
Old 2010-10-16, 16:06   Link #391
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
I think this is called a spin-off, because this time around, the main girls will be Momo and Yami. Personally, I think the first chapter made that rather clear.
Quote:
This. Everyone's still there, and only Kurosaki Mea has been added to the cast (at least so far).
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 16:28   Link #392
Newhope

Quote:
It hasn't centered around Lala or Haruna in ages. This is just like any other arc change in a harem series.

One reason I lost interest in the first series is because the attention to the Lala/Haruna/Rito triangle was lost.
I don't know I always thought Lala and Haruna where the most boring girls in the series, alot of the side girls are far more interesting than those two.
Newhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 19:14   Link #393
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
I don't think Darkness is going to focus much on Rito's love life. At least, not for a while. It's called a spin-off after all (yes, I do think there is a real reason for that), therefore the narrative viewpoint will most likely change from Rito to Yami. He was still the main character at the beginning of the first chatper only as a way to re-establish the setting.
Actually I would bet that Rito's love-life is still going to be the focal point here, in his relationship with Yami. The story is clearly going to be about Yami and dealing with her past and wanting to stay in her peaceful life on earth, and I bet Rito is going to be the one who becomes Yami's anchor in her new life here on earth.
Old 2010-10-16, 19:40   Link #394
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Rito is the main protagonist. If he is there, it's a sequel.
Old 2010-10-17, 01:34   Link #395
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Not quite... sequels are usually when the original plot line isn't resolved, and they make a sequel to tie up loose ends/resolve the plot. Darkness throws the old plotline out the window (of Rito choosing between Haruna and Lala), and goes with a completely new one (Momo trying to actually cause Rito to have a harem)

and there's only one time when I see harems endings, and that's in hentai

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-17, 02:08   Link #396
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
Darkness throws the old plotline out the window (of Rito choosing between Haruna and Lala), and goes with a completely new one (Momo trying to actually cause Rito to have a harem)
Actually, the new plot looks like it's settling Yami's past, hence all the talk about it in the chapter and the title.
Old 2010-10-17, 02:17   Link #397
Soraya21

In regards to the sequel/spin-off topic, Darkness simply doesn't have anything (characters, setting, history, background, etc.) that sets it apart from the original. To be blunt, I think the only reason why this is even named a spin-off is so that label can be used as a safeguard from the hardcore fans of the original who might rant and rave about its new change of direction and focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
In TLR, I think there's been good development for a good amount of girls. The focus could be distributed a lot better, rather than focusing on Lala and Haruna, though. At the same time, my main issue with TLR is Rito's attitude. We've got a good amount of girls getting well developed, but Rito barely even changes. Even if he knows there's many girls who like him (apparently, he does), he shows no particular interest on any girl other than Haruna. I believe that was okay for the first part of the series, but after all this much development for all these girls, I believe he should start noticing them as well. Some of them, at the very least.
Two things here. When it comes to girls, Rito is slow – oh so painfully slow. This is the same guy who was about a few millimeters away from being raped by Momo during her routine bedroom services, and he still thinks said girl is just joking with him. I'm sure that he isn't completely oblivious to their feelings, but there still a huge difference between realizing that the girls “like him as a friend/schoolmate/older brother/prime target/that preverted beast/boy toy” to “liking him in that special way.”

And I'm pretty sure you don't have to worry about the development on Rito's end anymore, since he's probably going to become much more conscious of the other girls around him after Momo was so kind as to laid it all out for him in the bath scene.
Soraya21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-17, 02:47   Link #398
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
It's a spin-off because the authors themselves say it is. If it were a sequel, they would have just called it a sequel (no reason not to, really). And it's not a problem for all the old characters to return:

Quote:
In genre fiction, the term parallels the usage in television; it is usually meant to indicate a substantial change in narrative viewpoint and activity from that (previous) storyline based around the activities of the series' principal protagonist(s) and so is a shift to that action and overall narrative thread of some other protagonist(s), which now becomes the central or main thread (storyline) of the new sub-series. The new protagonist generally appears first as a minor or supporting character in the main story line within a given milieu, and it is very common for the previous protagonist to have a supporting or cameo role, at the least as a historical mention, in the new sub-series.
With only one chapter out so far, it's perfectly reasonable to think changes may still take place very soon. I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if Rito were demoted to a supporting role for a while. I'm sure they're not crazy enough to change the nature of the series permanently, they ought to know what people want to see (personally, I'd like to see way less Rito but it looks like I'm in the minority)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Actually I would bet that Rito's love-life is still going to be the focal point here, in his relationship with Yami. The story is clearly going to be about Yami and dealing with her past and wanting to stay in her peaceful life on earth, and I bet Rito is going to be the one who becomes Yami's anchor in her new life here on earth.
I'm afraid you're right. Rito's importance in her life has already been emphasised a bit in this chapter with the mention of the Takoyaki. I would have loved her anchor to be Mikan though... well, I guess both her and her brother can play that role.
Old 2010-10-17, 09:30   Link #399
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Yeah well...I'll wait until we have more chapters before agreeing.
Old 2010-10-17, 17:05   Link #400
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
It's a spin-off because the authors themselves say it is.
Still say it's just a cover up.

Tags
ecchi, fake harem, harem, manga, nudity, romance, sci-fi, shounen