AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-05-14, 10:50   Link #2101
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Jintor, it seems like your holding a bit high of a standard here. You seem upset that they took a pulp novel written it in Japanese...and translated it into a pulp novel in english. As much as we like Haruhi, it's not a literary classic.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 00:20   Link #2102
Nappy Hared Azn
Check out my Rolek!

Seriously. I watched Monsters vs. Aliens a few days ago. Entertaining? Yes. Oscar material? Carter has a better chance of getting re-elected for a second term in 2012 than Monsters vs. Aliens does of winning Best Picture.

Not every movie needs to be directed by an Oscar winner and not every book has to be written by a Nobel Prize holder.
Old 2009-05-15, 04:36   Link #2103
Jintor

But this one shouuuuuuuuuuuuuld

Anyway, I picked up the book and read it on the way back from university, just to spite everybody.

It's decent.

It's not brilliant.

I can live with that, I guess.

PS What's with Kyon never being surprised, even in his monologues? The only exclaimations I could catch were mostly in other people's dialogue. Opinion stands about being similar to Baka-Tsuki, although it's a little more readable than their efforts. Also, Nagato seemed a little more... Nagato in this translations.

I also figure I'm probably just tired of reading Melancholy, what with the Baka-Tsuki, Strato, and my versions, as well as Kaisos/Discreets/Mine for genderbending.

So yeah. I guess a pulp novel got translated into a pulp novel. Screw you, high expectations, I should never have let you into my brain.
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 12:05   Link #2104
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Anime News Network has an article about volume 2 (release info and a 28 page preview)...

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 15:44   Link #2105
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Anime News Network has an article about volume 2 (release info and a 28 page preview)...

Old news is old. ANN is so out of date... Except for the preview info.
Old 2009-05-15, 16:21   Link #2106
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Old news is old. ANN is so out of date...
No, even the preview was up when someone linked to the webpage update in this thread. Old news is indeed old.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 23:52   Link #2107
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Speaking of the excerpt, I've got the Baka-Tsuki version up beside the Little, Brown version, and am noticing a few differences (lots easier to compare translations when they're both on the computer). Mostly it's in the manner of fluidity, where the Little, Brown version says the same thing, just not quite in the same way, whether because a more direct translation (which I assume Baka-Tsuki is) is a little clunky regarding choice of words, or there's an obscure Japanese idiom that when directly translated makes little to no sense in English (can't put wiki links in a book, at least not yet). But I did come across one part, during chapter 1 of Sigh, that made me take note (toward the bottom of excerpt page 21):

Baka-Tsuki version:
Quote:
"Hasn't it always been that way?" Koizumi said softly to me, carrying a smile so dashing one has an urge to go draw it.
Little, Brown version:
Quote:
“That’s how it always is,” Koizumi whispered to me.
The elegant smile he had made me want to draw on his face.
Not having the original Japanese passage at hand (and not being able to read Japanese, in any case), I couldn't tell you which one of the parts in bold is more correct, but I don't think anyone will argue the latter is both funnier, and more in line with Kyon's character... ^_^

And I can say with certainty that Kyon's indeterminately inner voice has at least one appearance in this excerpt. Now if only I can remember if it ever really showed up in Volume 1, or if Little, Brown picked up that they missed it in Volume 1 and made sure not to miss it in Volume 2?
Old 2009-05-16, 00:15   Link #2108
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Given the series' love of mentioning people drawing on someone else's face, Little, Brown's version is probably more accurate.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-16, 00:32   Link #2109
Jintor

His indeterminite inner voice is present in Vol 1, but not too often. It's there, though.
Old 2009-05-16, 01:40   Link #2110
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
His indeterminite inner voice is present in Vol 1, but not too often. It's there, though.
Now that you've read the official translation more recently than I have, is it in there as well, or just in the original? Or was answering that question in the affirmative the whole point of your above quote?
Old 2009-05-16, 02:07   Link #2111
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

The inner voice thing IS present in Little, Brown's Vol. 1, yes.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-16, 08:06   Link #2112
Jintor

It's actually at pretty much the places I remember it being in the Baka-Tsuki translations. It's not as common as you'd think, but it's there.
Old 2009-05-16, 11:55   Link #2113
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
It's actually at pretty much the places I remember it being in the Baka-Tsuki translations. It's not as common as you'd think, but it's there.
That's what I was thinking. I seem to remember it being more prevalent in the later volumes.
Old 2009-05-21, 14:59   Link #2114
Solachinx
is a myth

So, since BLR aired today and S2 has officially started, I was wondering if maybe some news on novel 10 had been released, as some people theorised?
Old 2009-05-21, 18:24   Link #2115
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

The July issue of Sneaker supposedly has a new Tanigawa story, or something like that.
Old 2009-05-21, 18:33   Link #2116
Jintor

I picked up the second volume of the manga, and it is great. Artistic improvement goes through the series, so that the incredibly non-Kyon-like Kyon becomes more Kyon by the end of Melancholy. I wasn't sure if it was some kind of metaphor or just artistic evolution, but it was good to see his familiar face in manga form again.

There's also a few additions in the manga that I found amusing, like the camera, or the emphasis on Yuki's trip to the library, or Yuki's messages becoming progressively more garbled as space-time ruptures during Haruhi's world-creation.
Old 2009-05-21, 18:47   Link #2117
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
There's also a few additions in the manga that I found amusing, like the camera, or the emphasis on Yuki's trip to the library, or Yuki's messages becoming progressively more garbled as space-time ruptures during Haruhi's world-creation.
The camera thing was fucking epic.

In all honesty, I do like the manga's more subtly "typical protagonist" Kyon, for some reason.
Old 2009-05-21, 18:48   Link #2118
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
I picked up the second volume of the manga, and it is great. Artistic improvement goes through the series, so that the incredibly non-Kyon-like Kyon becomes more Kyon by the end of Melancholy. I wasn't sure if it was some kind of metaphor or just artistic evolution, but it was good to see his familiar face in manga form again.

Told ya.

By the time you come out of the Melancholy arc Kyon bassically looks and acts how you would normally expect him to.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-21, 19:10   Link #2119
Jintor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
The camera thing was fucking epic.

In all honesty, I do like the manga's more subtly "typical protagonist" Kyon, for some reason.
In visual design, or in mind? Visual design I... well, I dunno. I liked that it made him feel younger but he didn't start looking like Kyon until the end of the book. I think visually he's tied too much to the Anime in my mind, but... I dunno, the other him looks brash. Koizumi looked kind of odd until the end of Melancholy as well (there's this great page somewhere during his "Closed Space" spiel where he opens his eyes and it's just creepy as ****), but the girls (aside from Yuki) looked about right for the entire run, so I guess the artist just got better and better at drawing guys.

If you're talking about in mind, I agree with you entirely. It makes him seem more like a high-schooler than the anime.
Old 2009-05-21, 19:15   Link #2120
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
If you're talking about in mind, I agree with you entirely. It makes him seem more like a high-schooler than the anime.
Yeah, mentality-wise. The novel's localization had some of that too, mostly in "Principal Toupee" and his slightly increased lusting after Mikuru.

No complaints there.

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga