AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-01-26, 11:54   Link #1
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

Dead drive or something else?

My DVD/RW drive doesn't seem to work anymore. It still opens and my computer still detects it. It evens ejects using the command when you right click on the drive. But for some reason it's not reading anything (CD or DVD). When I put a CD in it lights up once and does nothing. It's supposedly working properly according to hardware properties. Is the drive dead, or can it be fixed relatively easy?

When I try to burn something, it just ejects the blank cd and tells me to insert a blank cd.

I'm also curious as to how this happened. I rarely use it. Did the laser/lens just burn out somehow? Or maybe it's just not spinning anymore so it isn't able to read anything? It is 2-3 years old, just natural death?

Extra info: Lite-On DVDRW SHW-1635S
Tried upgrading firmware from F to Z, that didn't do anything.
Shiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 12:05   Link #2
sa547
*Author

Quote:
It is 2-3 years old, just natural death?
Most hardware always have this MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure), to gauge how long they last. But strangely, even if you have barely touched it, if it's left unused for so long (or so I was told) that device will quit working.

There may be some reasons: over time moving parts lose lubricant or get stuck; plastic and rubber parts deteriorate; laser diodes become dim; and circuit boards corrode slightly. Other possibilities include the laser head having some malfunction due to heavy shock.
Old 2009-01-26, 17:43   Link #3
ninjinsamax3

Failure is possible.

You can always try uninstalling the driver and installing a new one.
Testing it on another computer.
ninjinsamax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 22:59   Link #4
Ledgem
Love Yourself

To test whether the motorized spinning mechanism is dead, insert a CD, note the orientation of the label, close the drive, then open it again and see if the CD shifted at all. If it did, the CD is spinning (although arguably there could still be problems). I had a drive where the motor died - it would report that CDs inserted were corrupt, but it would detect them.

It's possible that the laser has become dirty (dust gets into everything). You can try to clean it. I'd look up instructions for laser cleaning to make sure that you don't damage it. I'd imagine that you can use a lens cleaning cloth (such as the type packaged with glasses or sunglasses) to wipe it, but check to make sure.

It's also possible that a connection has become loose. It's possible for the computer to recognize the drive and think that everything is OK, but the device behaves strangely due to a loose connection. Go in and just make sure everything is tightly plugged in.

If nothing else, that's certainly strange that the drive would fail with very little use, but it isn't impossible.
Old 2009-01-27, 03:49   Link #5
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

The disc still spins and the connection is fine. So I guess it's something with the lens. There's little dust inside the computer other than the ones that get stuck in the vents, but I guess it isn't impossible for it to be dirty.

I'm just gonna go with a new drive for now, they don't seem that expensive. I'll post back in a while whenever newegg decides to go with my order (been stuck in 'submitted' status the whole day, a whole new set of problems possibly).

Also, would blowing air into the drive cause any damage or no? I'd rather not buy a cleaner that might not work.
Shiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-28, 23:33   Link #6
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I don't imagine it would, as long as you don't accidentally tip the air canister too far and spray some of the liquid over the internals.
Old 2009-01-29, 14:21   Link #7
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiryuu View Post
My DVD/RW drive doesn't seem to work anymore. It still opens and my computer still detects it. It evens ejects using the command when you right click on the drive. But for some reason it's not reading anything (CD or DVD). When I put a CD in it lights up once and does nothing. It's supposedly working properly according to hardware properties. Is the drive dead, or can it be fixed relatively easy?
I have the same internal DVD/RW drive problem like you but I got an external drive and used that instead. After a period of time in which you don't maintain the internal drive well, such as not using lens cleaner yet having dust caught in it. It would start to malfunction with various CRC errors until it stop working. I don't think you can fix it.

Quote:
Extra info: Lite-On DVDRW SHW-1635S
Tried upgrading firmware from F to Z, that didn't do anything.
Only difference is that mine isn't from Lite-On. It's HL-ST-DT DVDRAM GMA-4082N. I am not sure what brand it is, assuming that's it's LG.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote