Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2017-09-14, 23:43   Link #1
Applehell

[Switch] Octopath Traveller

Overview Trailer from Nintendo Direct
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gematsu
About

Embark on a vast new role-playing adventure as one of eight travelers, all with their own origins, paths, and goals.

The producers of the Bravely series at Square Enix have brought a new world to life through a mix of CG, pixel art, and “HD-2D” visuals. Embark on a vast new role-playing adventure as one of eight travelers, all with their own origins, paths, and goals. Where to begin? Who to team up with? Where to go next? Only you can decide.

Each traveler can use a distinct Path Action, a specialized way of achieving objectives and interacting with people you encounter. The warrior can “challenge” people to a duel, whereas the dancer can “allure” others to follow her, even into battle! Enjoy the freedom to choose your own path while experiencing the story through the role you play. Combat revolves around the Boost system, a fusion of traditional turn-based battling and modern enhancements. Each turn, build up BP that can be spent to dramatically increase your strength or provide aid. Identifying when to Boost may just be the key to victory.

Key Features
  • A new RPG adventure from the minds at Square Enix who brought you the Bravely series.
  • Choose from eight distinct characters, each with their own path, and see where the story takes you.
  • Music and visuals inspired by RPGs of yore, brought to life with modern touches.
  • Deep, strategic turn-based combat with an innovative battle system.
  • Enjoy the free demo in Nintendo eShop and help make this an RPG for the ages by sharing your feedback with Square Enix.

Demo

Choose the path of the dancer, Primrose, or of the warrior, Olberic, and set off on an adventure all your own in this free demo from Square Enix. After you’re done playing, take a survey to let the development team know your thoughts. The roles you play, the places you go, and the people you join are up to you.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2017/09/project-o...vsRAaWxoiJW.99
Twitter
Nintendo's page

More concept art (warning huge images)
Images
Artwork 1
Images
Artwork 2
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-14, 23:57   Link #2
Shadow5YA

I heard there would be a survey to give feedback on the demo. Where is it supposed to be?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-15, 00:18   Link #3
Applehell

That, I don't know sadly. I guess SE or Nintendo will let us know in a few days. It's probably when we will get the extended trailer too.
Old 2017-09-15, 01:21   Link #4
Sides

IIRC, if you played the demo or downloaded it, they will send you a survey link in the future. I think it happened in the past with other games as well. No point in making a open survey with false feedback.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-15, 12:07   Link #5
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
IIRC, if you played the demo or downloaded it, they will send you a survey link in the future. I think it happened in the past with other games as well. No point in making a open survey with false feedback.
through our consoles or registered emails?
Old 2017-09-15, 16:06   Link #6
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

I don't think they have said.

Anyways, looking forward to the game. The battle system reminds me of Bravely Default, but after Bravely Second, I think it was good they decided to go with a completely new game.
Oh, and dot art FTW.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-15, 16:50   Link #7
Applehell

Somebody uploaded music from the demo!
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...4lMt6_mbswoh3f

Some of my favorites:

YouTube
YouTube
YouTube
YouTube
YouTube
Old 2017-09-15, 16:56   Link #8
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
through our consoles or registered emails?
They will send you an email, the one you used for your eshop account (Nintendo account or what it is call nowadays). Some people on neogaf and other forums already got their survey email from Nintendo.
Old 2017-09-15, 17:09   Link #9
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Anyways, looking forward to the game. The battle system reminds me of Bravely Default, but after Bravely Second, I think it was good they decided to go with a completely new game.
It is indeed interesting; enough so to merit continued observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
Somebody uploaded music from the demo!

-redacted-
And it's certainly good on them for doing so. I'll see that and raise some gameplay I happened across:

YouTube

YouTube
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-15, 21:54   Link #10
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

I've only watched Primrose's demo, but man, it's some serious shiz.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-16, 12:16   Link #11
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
It is indeed interesting; enough so to merit continued observation.

And it's certainly good on them for doing so. I'll see that and raise some gameplay I happened across
Yeah, I saw Mrhappy's videos the other day myself. Thanks for sharing it in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
I've only watched Primrose's demo, but man, it's some serious shiz.
No kidding.
Old 2017-09-16, 17:25   Link #12
GDB

Was watching the demo on twitch, and wasn't really feeling it. Didn't feel like it had the charm or pull of Bravely Default, while trying to be it.

That said, the demo is like the first hour of the game at best for the two characters it showed. I'd like to see something about the middle of the game just to see how the battle system, party, and story presentation progress.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-16, 21:38   Link #13
Shadow5YA

The battle system is far better designed than Bravely Default. You can't just Brave into the negatives for free and trivialize every random encounter. Since you get only one BP per turn, you actually have to think when to Boost your attacks.

Additionally, enemies must be hit into Break status by hitting them enough times with an attribute they are weak to. If they are weak to a physical attribute like Dagger/Spear/Sword, you have to choose whether you spend your BP to Break and stun an enemy as fast as possible, or to save it to burst them down while they are in Break.
Old 2017-09-17, 13:41   Link #14
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Was watching the demo on twitch, and wasn't really feeling it. Didn't feel like it had the charm or pull of Bravely Default, while trying to be it.

That said, the demo is like the first hour of the game at best for the two characters it showed. I'd like to see something about the middle of the game just to see how the battle system, party, and story presentation progress.
However like a lot RPGs this is something you ultimately play for yourself to get the best feel for it. Because sadly most streamer don't demonstrate nuances of combat well because they often trying to rush through it or just aren't that good with RPGs in general. Boost isn't just your standard power system, but actually changes you actions significantly compared you normal state. Under it normal attacks become multi-attacks, you now guard party members from enemy attacks, you special abilities receives serious upgrades etc. This all just within the demo. However to make most out of this it's all in conjunction with Break system, it's also about timing; when and how break the enemy. The system basically a combination of SMT/Persona's Press Turn/One More! mechanic and Bravely Default's Brave & Default.

I've seen a lot of streamers rush to try break enemies immediately, but other than some trash encounters it's not terribly effective. Because while enemies do lose their turn your not taking full advantage of their unguarded state, which allows you to deal 50% more damage to them than you would normally. It's where the Boost system for offense shines the most and hitting enemies with weak attacks then just wastes it and prologues the fight. Just spamming attacks won't get you very far.

Systematically "breaking" opponent is generally the way you are meant play the game. Take the bandit boss Gaston in Olberic's demo. He has a 4-5 shield rating. So a strategy here you could imploy would defend for a few turns until you have 4-5 boost stocks. Boost your normal attack to Lv3-4 to chain normal attacks with his weakness to spears that shred his shield rating to just 1. Use Abide raise you potency of your attacks for next couple of turns. Next turn break Gaston's shield rating with normal attack. Now with him in break mode boost you strongest attack to MAX (you have gotten back the 3 boost needed of for this at this point) and hit with it. It should deal upward to 2-3k damage to him in one big burst.

You can even go for more sustained high damage route by taking advantage of Abide's 3 turn powerup to all physical attacks by activating it when you have 3-4 stocks. Chain normal attacks on the next turn. Hit Gaston a non-boosted attack in the turn after to put him in break mode. Finally on you last turn when Abide is still active boost you abilities to Lv3 which again is the max boost Lv and hit with Olberic's strongest tech. Then try repeating the cycle. That said this one is harder to pull of since you might get a unlucky turn where Gaston uses his special on turn you can't break him to avoid it.

But idea here is even with just one character and limited skills the combat system is pretty robust.

Last edited by Applehell; 2017-09-17 at 21:44.
Old 2017-09-18, 17:30   Link #15
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Primrose's backstory, understandably, has everyone wondering about some shadowy organization which uses the crow as insignia. I for one would be amused if it turns out that yes, there is such an organization; but no, they really had nothing to do with this - someone else entirely is responsible for House Azelhart's woes, and had the clever idea of having their operators work under false colors... so as to leave a nice juicy red herring for witnesses.
Old 2017-09-18, 21:46   Link #16
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
They will send you an email, the one you used for your eshop account (Nintendo account or what it is call nowadays). Some people on neogaf and other forums already got their survey email from Nintendo.
Weird... I still haven't received it.
Old 2017-09-23, 10:35   Link #17
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Weird... I still haven't received it.
Actually, I only received the email yesterday myself and I played the demo when it was put online. So no idea how they choose people.
Old 2017-10-01, 18:57   Link #18
Shadow5YA

I still haven't received the email... and I have no idea why.
Old 2018-01-30, 16:12   Link #19
Firefly00

Advise - data received...

In addition to its demo being downloaded over one million times, the game's development continues. Nintendo has seen fit to announce some changes...

Spoiler for change list (may not be complete):
Old 2018-01-31, 10:48   Link #20
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

video of the changes:

blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multiple protagonists, rpg