AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2018-09-12, 06:36   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 917 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

And we are back in business! Credit goes to AP's Redon for the info:

-Chapter title is "Treasure Ship of Provisions". Ministory shows Bellamy drawing pirate flags on cloth that doesn't tear.

-At a farm, we see Kaidou's minions harvesting food. One of those minions is none other than..... headliner of the Beast Pirates, Speed! She's a woman who happens to be a horse-type SMILE user, which gives her the appearance of a centaur! She receives news about Holdem's predicament, and heads forth to back him up.

-Meanwhile, back at Bakura, Holdem says he'll hold Luffy's whole group hostage in order to lure out a thief named Shutenmaru, whom Holdem is under the belief they're working under. Okiku then warns Luffy not to provoke their enemy any further, explaining that the true terror aren't the headliners, but the one who commands them..... one of Kaidou's three Disasters, Jack the Drought! Luffy and Zoro remember him getting taken out at Zou, but Okiku says the pirate was recently seen in Bakura. As for Law and Hawkins, the two pirates DO encounter each other..... however, Law wears a helmet covering his face, so Hawkins is unable to recognize him. Law decides to take him out to avoid the risk of being exposed to more enemies....

-Soon, Speed returns to Bakura, and joins up with Holdem. However, despite her return, Luffy snatches Otama from Holdem so quickly that the headliner can't see him! As for Zoro, he takes down the nearby pirates, steals the food that Speed brought back, and has Okiku and the komainu take it to Otsuru's tea shop. Luffy notices the bruises Holdem inflicted on Tama's face, which enrages out hero. He then clashes with the headliner! The lion on the enemy pirate's stomach spits a fireball at the rubber man, but Luffy has no trouble blocking it. He then proceeds to instantly take down Holdem with a well-placed Red Hawk.....!!!!

And to wrap this up, here's a pic of Speed:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2018-09-13 at 09:19.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-13, 01:36   Link #2
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

This just getting better and better. I wonder if Hawkins recognize Law through fight.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-13, 04:18   Link #3
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

let's go.. we're slowly climbing the hype
I almost think that Zoro used conqueror Haki there
glad to see Law entered the scene as soon as possible to delay Hawkins
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-13, 06:32   Link #4
Theia_Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
glad to see Law entered the scene as soon as possible to delay Hawkins
Considering Wano's an isolated country and he's one of the few who knows who they are, Law moving in to keep Hawkins occupied is actually a smart move. He's capable enough to give Zoro trouble to some extent.

Also, I chuckled at how Holdem got beat down. That bastard deserved it for what he was doing to Tama, especially beforehand.
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-13, 08:26   Link #5
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

so looks like it's heading for luffy vs jack? or maybe it's zoro vs jack?
beacause if luffy gets too beat up fighting jack he won't have enough left in the tank for kaido
Old 2018-09-13, 08:29   Link #6
J4n1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
And to wrap this up, here's a pic of Speed:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Ok, people have mentioned Oda's issues with drawing women before, but this takes it to the next level.
It's like he drew a woman, then replaced the feet with hooves and draw a horse behind her without a head or front legs.
J4n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-13, 09:19   Link #7
Ramero

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
so looks like it's heading for luffy vs jack? or maybe it's zoro vs jack?
beacause if luffy gets too beat up fighting jack he won't have enough left in the tank for kaido
Zoro will be dealing with jack maybe? Or i prefer Zoro deal with Wano Shogun since this will be a duel of inheritance of Shusui. I prefer Sanji deal with Jack since he may got cooking words for Jack when dueling.

We also didn't know Kaidou's whereabout not to mention Apoo, Kid, and Drake have not made an appearance yet. Apoo will be a nice opponent for Brook if they met since it will be a battle of music.
Old 2018-09-13, 09:33   Link #8
marvelB

Ah, I always enjoy seeing an enraged Luffy. Anyway, it looks like we have confirmation of Jack's return, after all. I figured he wouldn't be done for since we last saw him (he's probably a fish-man, since he seemed to have no problem surviving underwater). I'd also guess that Zoro's more likely to take him on, but we'll see....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
I almost think that Zoro used conqueror Haki there
There were slashing sound effects when he took out those pirates, so that was definitely swordplay in action there. I'm unsure about him being capable of using conqueror's haki, personally....

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4n1 View Post
Ok, people have mentioned Oda's issues with drawing women before, but this takes it to the next level.
It's like he drew a woman, then replaced the feet with hooves and draw a horse behind her without a head or front legs.
She's essentially a clone, yes. But at least I'll give her a pass due to that goofy horse grin she made there during her intro page, heh. Speed seems to be a bit of a weirdo herself, though not as much as Holdem (that is, unless she has a horse head growing out of some unseen orifice, lol ).

Speaking of, I'm kinda surprised I haven't seen any "Speed for nakama" posts yet. Or I guess folks don't care much for centaur chicks?
Old 2018-09-13, 10:09   Link #9
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4n1 View Post
Gifters always looked odd though, I mean, look at Holdem.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-13, 11:15   Link #10
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm looking forward to Law and Hawkins' battle. Hopefully it won't happen off-panel!

Seeing Luffy one-shotting scumbags like Holdem is always fun. I actually didn't think Holdem would be this weak, but I guess it's the other way around and Luffy is just too strong.
Old 2018-09-13, 12:07   Link #11
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

i still don't get how luffy is suddenly so much stronger? because he fought katakuri and improved his observation haki? that shouldn't make him faster or give him more physical strength
Old 2018-09-13, 13:18   Link #12
laughingwalls

^he isnt necessarily.stronger. he beat two people that have bounties similar to.jack on whole cake island. that implies this village shouldnt be a challenge.
laughingwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-13, 13:59   Link #13
Rainbowman

These SMILE users are quite something in the looks department. With Jack the Drought reappearing, I hope we get to see the other two elites in terms of introduction.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-13, 15:01   Link #14
J4n1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
Gifters always looked odd though, I mean, look at Holdem.
Problem is not that she looks odd, it's that she looks so damn average (apart from feet/horse rear).
Oda has incredible talent for character design, yet when it comes to women, that talent often goes unused (especially post timeskip).

The chapter itself was decent though, it's setting so many things in motion at once.
Basil v Law.
Jacks back.
More solidifying of the background about poison and where all the edible food goes.

Good mixture of action, exposition and setup for next chapter.
Old 2018-09-13, 18:16   Link #15
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

About Jack. Is he a fishman or a fish smile? The latter would be pretty funny.
Old 2018-09-13, 20:55   Link #16
Ramero

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingwalls View Post
^he isnt necessarily.stronger. he beat two people that have bounties similar to.jack on whole cake island. that implies this village shouldnt be a challenge.
Actually Luffy first defeat Cracker but it's a very dragged out fight (12 hours if i remember it) and also he beat Katakuri on a straight duel of honor (Even Katakuri beat his own sister due to dishonoring the duel between man).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Jack could be the same as Dellinger, like descendant of fishman and i'm sure you remember that Jack's DF is a Zoan Mammoth.
Old 2018-09-13, 23:58   Link #17
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I think Jack is a legit Zoan. The Gifters we've seen so far seem rather.... imperfect, if I had to describe it (again, just look at Holdem for the best proof). However, we've seen Jack transform between human and full beast form at Zou, which I don't think we've seen with any SMILE users so far. Of course, he may be hiding an elephant trunk in a rather..... tender area if he's indeed a SMILE user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramero View Post
Jack could be the same as Dellinger, like descendant of fishman and i'm sure you remember that Jack's DF is a Zoan Mammoth.
Huh, I nearly forgot about Dellinger. Yeah, there is the possibility of Jack being a mixed race, isn't there? In fact, it's not like we haven't seen any others throughout the series (aside from the aforementioned Dellinger, there's Big Mom's daughter Praline, Kokoro's granddaughter Chimney (both part mermaid), Big Pan from Foxy's crew (half giant), etc.).....
Old 2018-09-14, 12:40   Link #18
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramero View Post
Actually, I had totally forgotten about that

All I remembered about him was him being stuck at the bottom of the sea after his ship was destroyed.
Old 2018-09-14, 22:52   Link #19
Theia_Loki

Quote:
Actually Luffy first defeat Cracker but it's a very dragged out fight (12 hours if i remember it)
It lasted 11 hours, actually. Didn't help that Cracker was able to create more Biscuit Soldiers with his powers until he got frustrated.

It's become very apparent even before this chapter that Wano's isolationism is one massive downside, especially if Urashima and Holdem's attitudes towards Luffy and Zoro are any indication. When you don't venture beyond your own country and discover what's what in terms of... well, anything, then it's going to be one massive wakeup call when real trouble comes around. It's no big surprise in hindsight that Kaidou's arrival led to his crew taking over the island with what sounds like nearly no trouble.

No wonder Oden wanted to open Wano's borders to the rest of the world. Reality eventually ensues when you think having a closed doors policy is such a good idea. -_-
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-15, 04:30   Link #20
J4n1

Wano is basicly isolationist Japan, might have great warriors and knowledge at one point, but eventually rest of the world moves past it.
And now rest of the world has come knocking on the door.