AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-01-15, 08:30   Link #301
Smeckledorf
Intellectual Rapist

I have read the Qilian theory but it seems to me that people would have to know about Kuwadorian for that theory to work out as a whole. Don't get me wrong it is good.
And yea, Quadrillion is a good string.
Village of Gold is 13 letters, probably just a coincidence.

Last edited by Smeckledorf; 2010-01-15 at 16:37.
Smeckledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 07:18   Link #302
Raiza Sunozaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeckledorf View Post
I have read the Qilian theory but it seems to me that people would have to know about Kuwadorian for that theory to work out as a whole. Don't get me wrong it is good.
And yea, Quadrillion is a good string.
Village of Gold is 13 letters, probably just a coincidence.
But Gold Village is eleven letters.
Raiza Sunozaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-19, 14:32   Link #303
matteas
Member Member

It should be "Golden Village", shouldn't it? Gold Village sounds strange to me. But I don't think that something as simple as this is the key. No, I'm certain it isn't.
matteas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-19, 20:46   Link #304
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Yeah it should be golden village, but I don't suggest to assume whatever english sentence is involved to be in perfect english.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-19, 21:37   Link #305
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Here are some assorted things I've been pondering, looking at Jan-Poo's railway theory...

Is it really certain that the starting string is 11 or 13 characters long? It seems like there might be issues with duplicate letters. Using 'quadrillion' as an example, if you ended up having to sacrifice 'I', you'd have to pick one to get rid of, or otherwise the count for the rest of the epitaph would be off. Instead of that, maybe we're looking for a starting string that contains 11 or 13 different letters, and killing means you delete all of the copies.

Carrying on with that line of thought, maybe "the two who are close" refers to adjacent letters remaining in the alphabet, rather than the original string. Alternately, they might refer specifically to doubled letters, like 'ss'.

The phrasing of "gouge the whatever and kill" seems odd. Maybe we're supposed to take something like the stop name, "gouge out" part of that first, and only "kill" the remainder from our overall string.

The inscription at the chapel seems like a great choice for the initial string, but it has 18 unique letters in it. Maybe some of them are intended to be left over at the ninth twilight to form the witch's name (the witch will be revived), or something similar. Maybe even directions to where the gold is, which would solve the problem of where to go from the chapel.

Assuming the word "quadrillion" or the entire inscription is the starting point, either the Q has to get killed somewhere, or both the Q and the U have to not be killed.

Speaking of the inscription:
- This door is opened only at probability of a quadrillion to one.
- You will be blessed only at a probability of a quadrillion to one.
It could be a typo, but considering it was preserved in the anime, it might be another deliberate thing, like the "village of gold" clue. For it to be useful, A would probably need to not be killed in any of the twilights.

Well, probably most of this is off the mark. I haven't made a lot of progress.
LyricalAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-19, 21:53   Link #306
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

It's not like it was "preserved", the second line in english was never stated in the novel. The first line is consistent with Battler's reading, the second is how a sentence in correct english is supposed to be. The fact that it is exactly identical to how Witch-Hunt translated it makes me think they actually copied it XD, it's not like there weren't other ways to translate Kumasawa's notes.

About what you point out before... actually this is precisely why I always thought it wasn't possible to determine the initial sentence's length. It isn't stated anywhere that when you "kill" a letter you need to kill only one and not all the ones of the same kind. So to think that it is definitely the first case would be quite a jump to conclusions considering what we got... but well...

Old 2010-01-21, 10:58   Link #307
omegasaries

I know that its kinda silly but i will put places here
* beatrice hidden mansion
* the shrine that was destroyed by shannon

- the hidden mansion because when eva finds the ( golden land ) its is a room with a single bed, well that was either beatrice or kinzo's secret room.

- the shrine comes to mind if we take in consideration the adding of marias name to the theory of names of the island

* ( God i wish i had a map of that island Lol )
omegasaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-22, 16:20   Link #308
Solachinx
is a myth

Since we're talking about numbers and names, here's a (small) list of some things that have eleven or thirteen letters (however, it's english, so it probably isn't right. However, since Kinzo is such a western freak, wouldn't it fit?):

Golden Witch
Ushiromiya Eva
Lambdadelta
Terumasa Nanjo
Genji Ronoue
Witch's Epitaph
Old 2010-01-23, 21:25   Link #309
Ronove

Mmm... this may be a noob remark but . . .

Isn't the gold basically around Kuwadorian? From the anime/VN, I see underground staircases and a hidden room. I suppose it would probably be underground too.

And if we also include that Beatrice is really the guardian of the gold and she lives there, (supposing that's where Beatrice was when Rosa met her in back in the years), wouldn't it be Kuwadorian.

I really don't think there's other places to hide 10 tonnes of gold..
Old 2010-01-24, 07:55   Link #310
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

It's definitely somewhere in an underground room, however there is no confirmation about the actual position.

Personally I find difficult to believe the gold is below the kuwadorian because it is said that it's 2km far from the Mansion. That would mean Eva walked 4km back and forth in EP3, and no one even noticed her absence. Unless there's some kind of transportation this is hard to believe.

Old 2010-01-24, 11:04   Link #311
matteas
Member Member

And that's not including the time she spent in the library room. But even if that underground room is somewhere, let's say, within 500 m radius around the mansion, I find it strange they didn't even fret about her absence. I mean, she said she was just going to wash her face. Does washing own face take so long amongst high society? ^^'
matteas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-24, 15:20   Link #312
Raiza Sunozaki

On the topic of travelling, Eva was able to make it from the guesthouse to the gold in twenty minutes. This also includes the time she spent in the library... I think. That's pretty fast. I've always suspected the passage to the gold would be around the chapel because of Quadrillion, but do we know that she be able to do a couple of minutes of research in the library, journey to the chapel and down an underground staircase of unknown length in twenty minutes?
Old 2010-01-24, 19:16   Link #313
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
My notes have Eva leaving the library at 9:37 and arriving at the gold at 10:00. 2 km in ~20 min == 6 km / hr == 3.7 mi/hr. That's walking speed.
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 23:25   Link #314
TheWatcher

Eva looked in a book of maps... could it be the island?
Also everyone in the guest house was lost in their thoughts so time wouldn't matter to them.
So the Kuwadorian still can be the place of the gold
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 08:32   Link #315
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

It was an atlas and a common one. There are thousands of little islands in Japan you won't find detailed maps of them all in books, plus Rokkenjima is a private island and that's of no public interest. If Eva was going to look for a map of Rokkenjima she would rather find it in a single document not inside a book.

Also this riddle is meant to be solvable by the readers and Ryukishi said that someone already solved 99% of it. It is most definitely a place you can see in a common map.

Old 2010-01-27, 11:36   Link #316
y0shi

Can someone enlighten me that this numbers/letters stuff is about? Or where I can read more about it?

~ I'll hold your hand if you hold mine ~
~ The time that we kill keeps us alive ~
y0shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-27, 22:57   Link #317
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

For the basics (if you don't know already) you can read this old post I made:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...70#post2679570

which summarizes the salient parts of the discussion about the epitaph held by the adults in EP3 (and that was very sadly completely cut in the anime).

After that, following the same kind of reasoning started by Kyrie it is possible (in theory) to guess that the initial sentence is 13 or 11 letters long, because in the end "none will be left alive" and there are at least 11 confirmed eliminations in the epitaph plus a dubious two that need to be "torn apart" which might or might not entail an elimination.

Old 2010-01-28, 00:20   Link #318
Raiza Sunozaki

And Battler came to the same conclusion in Episode 5, so I think we can accept it as fact. I'm more partial to the eleven characters than the thirteen, because the make a difference between killing and tearing apart, but the possibility still exists that it is thirteen characters.
By the way Jan-Poo, I found a bit of proof for your epitaph theory. It's kinda stupid, but it make sense.
From Eva's conversation with her imaginary self, it's pretty obvious you find the key in the river. If it's really a railway, then it's most likely a station. However, revert back to the original idea of a river. What flows in a river? Liquid. Usually it's specifically water, but you get my point. As I said, it's kinda stupid, but I think it fits the immature mindset you're supposed to approach the epitaph with.
Anyway, a random thought I had. With your theory Jan-Poo, we have A R L ON remaining, right? Or maybe it's better to say A R L O N or OARLN. Anyway, the next step would be to probably rearrange it in a way that it praises Kinzo's or the Ushiromiya name. Since Kinzo's name features gold in it, and since Kinzo was such a Western freak, is there any way of spelling gold in another language that uses those letters? My knowledge of languages outside of English is severely limited, so I don't know any, if there are, myself.
Old 2010-01-28, 10:38   Link #319
y0shi

^ Ep5 Spoiler?

Anyway I think its strange that, after coming up with something like this, he'd give away so many hints etc that about half of the solutions one could come up with fall away anyway. I mean the adults discussion, although no solution, gives away the biggest part.

~ I'll hold your hand if you hold mine ~
~ The time that we kill keeps us alive ~
y0shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 01:36   Link #320
TheWatcher

EP5 is not needed. How many times does the fact that it is solvable by EP4 have to be repeated.

Which also means Ange found an important clue.
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote