AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2008-05-24, 10:36   Link #961
Cal-Reflector

Thank you, Shiro-sensei, for rescuing the last few chapters from dragging angst. It worked like a shot in the arm. In the context of the recent story developments, Shiro's Tsundere moments stood out especially. I'm tempted to jump from shipping one teacher couple (Houin-Aoki) to the SM Glasses Virgin Duo. The scene where Aoki holds her hands was superb.

Without knowing, Aoki is beginning to look more and more like a Harem Hero; an easygoing/weak disposition and the ability to attract many a wide range of women resembling every Moe niche on the spectrum.

The Rin-Reiji-Aoki situation has taken a turn for the worse, it seems. Aoki is beginning to contemplate unrealistic solutions, Reiji's dependency (what sort of nightmare would he have had?) is deeper and more obvioius, and Rin has completely resigned herself to repaying Reiji's sacrifice.

Honestly, if Rin and the children became side characters, and the title was changed to "Otona no Jikan," and centered around the adult cast in the show, it might be just as good entertainment, if not more. I could watch Houin-Aoki-Shiro all day long.
Old 2008-05-25, 03:18   Link #962
stelok
I My Me Strawberry Eggs

Send a message via ICQ to stelok Send a message via AIM to stelok Send a message via MSN to stelok Send a message via Yahoo to stelok
Like others, my interest in this series is slowly fading away. But I have to praise the author for managing to maintain the humor in her book. It's one of the strongest points in this manga.

Another Love triangle added to the story. Is Kodomo no Jikan becoming a harem?

Poor Houin-sensei. She switched from cute and sexy behaviour to serious and cool one.
stelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-25, 10:06   Link #963
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector View Post
Honestly, if Rin and the children became side characters, and the title was changed to "Otona no Jikan," and centered around the adult cast in the show, it might be just as good entertainment, if not more. I could watch Houin-Aoki-Shiro all day long.
Personally, while I always initially like the Shiro-sensei character (and thought the relationship between her and Kuro was both funny and interesting as a sort of reflection or variation of the Aoki/Rin relationship), this recent situation of her starting to see Aoki in a romantic light IMO degrades both her character, and the original focus of the series which I think is a mistake. As much as I liked Houin-sensei, her value to the original story was really just as the required third leg of the original romantic triangle of the story and we don't need another "love rival" added to the mix at this point.

Perhaps the author feels the need to add in new plot threads and new relationships to fill out an ongoing story, but for myself I would have preferred a story that ended sooner, but maintained the major focus of the series on the relationship between Rin and Aoki, which is what made the books so original and interesting to begin with.

From my point of view, at the same time that that original Rin plot thread seemes to be getting closer to some sort of climax, the manga as a whole is loosing its focus.
Old 2008-05-29, 13:21   Link #964
jigenbakuda
Kazumi sure is cute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector View Post
Thank you, Shiro-sensei, for rescuing the last few chapters from dragging angst. It worked like a shot in the arm. In the context of the recent story developments, Shiro's Tsundere moments stood out especially. I'm tempted to jump from shipping one teacher couple (Houin-Aoki) to the SM Glasses Virgin Duo. The scene where Aoki holds her hands was superb.

Without knowing, Aoki is beginning to look more and more like a Harem Hero; an easygoing/weak disposition and the ability to attract many a wide range of women resembling every Moe niche on the spectrum.

The Rin-Reiji-Aoki situation has taken a turn for the worse, it seems. Aoki is beginning to contemplate unrealistic solutions, Reiji's dependency (what sort of nightmare would he have had?) is deeper and more obvioius, and Rin has completely resigned herself to repaying Reiji's sacrifice.

Totally agree with this post. Aoki is becoming a harem hero. And the thought of the shift focusing to adults is funny, and IMO it would be just as interesting and fun.

I personally have been a fan of shiro-chan the whole series, too. But she was really not getting enough time in the light. It was not until the shiro and kuro-chan shenanigans that she started getting more "play". I am so interested in her character. But its very true that adding her to mix romantically does seem like it will be a story lengthing device, I still want to see it. In fact since kodomo no jikan has kept such a small number of characters and they are all interesting, I want to learn more about them all. So I want the story as long as possible, but please dear god give me weekly releases (I know it will never happen, but its my wish). I really want to see what will happen with usa-chan and reiji, will she ever confess her love? And I want boin sensei to at least be acknowledged romantically by aoki, she is trying the hardest in the series (maybe kuro-chan is trying a little harder...) and I think it will be so cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben
Perhaps the author feels the need to add in new plot threads and new relationships to fill out an ongoing story, but for myself I would have preferred a story that ended sooner, but maintained the major focus of the series on the relationship between Rin and Aoki, which is what made the books so original and interesting to begin with.
I understand what you are saying, and why you are saying it, but I do not have the same viewpoint. I want the story to be long. Actually because of the awkward situation between aoki and rin, its the perfect time to introduce new plot lines and the such. I want the characters to be delved into as deep as possible. I am sure that end the end it will be a story about rin and aoki, I'm also pretty sure it will be a short story, well not as long as I want as least. As far as I'm concerned the only characters to have been explored a lot were aoki (not the past, but the current minset, we have been given a lot of information on him, in both his work and personal life) reiji, and rin (I guess we can say aki, with the last couple of chapters...). Kuro-chan is my favorite character, but I know the least about her, except she is rich, spoiled, and a vaginaterian. I would love an arc for each character, excluding rin and aoki since they are what the story is about anyways. Is it unreasonable... is it not going to happen... probably, but just my wishes .

PS. If the other characters have been elaborated on, sorry, don't remember the earlier chapters as much... So if back story has been given for those guys (the rest of the cast), just point me in the direction of it.
jigenbakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-30, 07:01   Link #965
sumowow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigenbakuda View Post
Totally agree with this post. Aoki is becoming a harem hero. And the thought of the shift focusing to adults is funny, and IMO it would be just as interesting and fun.

I personally have been a fan of shiro-chan the whole series, too. But she was really not getting enough time in the light. It was not until the shiro and kuro-chan shenanigans that she started getting more "play". I am so interested in her character. But its very true that adding her to mix romantically does seem like it will be a story lengthing device, I still want to see it. In fact since kodomo no jikan has kept such a small number of characters and they are all interesting, I want to learn more about them all. So I want the story as long as possible, but please dear god give me weekly releases (I know it will never happen, but its my wish). I really want to see what will happen with usa-chan and reiji, will she ever confess her love? And I want boin sensei to at least be acknowledged romantically by aoki, she is trying the hardest in the series (maybe kuro-chan is trying a little harder...) and I think it will be so cool.

I understand what you are saying, and why you are saying it, but I do not have the same viewpoint. I want the story to be long. Actually because of the awkward situation between aoki and rin, its the perfect time to introduce new plot lines and the such. I want the characters to be delved into as deep as possible. I am sure that end the end it will be a story about rin and aoki, I'm also pretty sure it will be a short story, well not as long as I want as least. As far as I'm concerned the only characters to have been explored a lot were aoki (not the past, but the current minset, we have been given a lot of information on him, in both his work and personal life) reiji, and rin (I guess we can say aki, with the last couple of chapters...). Kuro-chan is my favorite character, but I know the least about her, except she is rich, spoiled, and a vaginaterian. I would love an arc for each character, excluding rin and aoki since they are what the story is about anyways. Is it unreasonable... is it not going to happen... probably, but just my wishes .

PS. If the other characters have been elaborated on, sorry, don't remember the earlier chapters as much... So if back story has been given for those guys (the rest of the cast), just point me in the direction of it.
I also like Kuro-chan as well and ive got to say that you really dont know much about her except
Spoiler:
at least thats what i think. The way she greeted her mother when she was back was probably what makes me think this, and the way she moped about when her mother had to leave again. Her mother had also said that she was spending too much money on clothes and kuro had replied to take her card away, but it seems she didn't want to do that. I don't think they've said anything about her father though so i can't really say anything about that.
sumowow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 16:55   Link #966
sumowow

Before the chapter comes out. What do you guys think the next chapter will be about? Personally, i think its going to be one of those laid-back where everyone is just getting back to their normal routines after a major incident. Aoki has finally come to terms with the kokonoe thing and kuro and mimi finally got their rin-chan back.

Hopefully its another shiro chapter, i can never get enough of those.

Edit: Well its true, she really did kick up the loli service in this one, but i found it to be too short. What was it like 16 pages? oh well. Its not like i can change anything.

Spoiler:

All in all a good chapter, only it was too short.

Last edited by sumowow; 2008-06-22 at 18:44.
sumowow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-22, 17:34   Link #967
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumowow View Post
Before the chapter comes out. What do you guys think the next chapter will be about? Personally, i think its going to be one of those laid-back where everyone is just getting back to their normal routines after a major incident. Aoki has finally come to terms with the kokonoe thing and kuro and mimi finally got their rin-chan back.

Hopefully its another shiro chapter, i can never get enough of those.
I'm thinking a character development chapter for Shiro, Rin, and or Kuro...hopefully we get some Mimi too becuase she's over do for some time in the spotlight herself...

Edit: Okay chapters up and I have to say Watashiya-Sensei really went all out didn't hold back on the loli service this time did she?... Bath House FTW!

And I called it this was more a focused on Mimi perspective this time around...

Last edited by Dark Wing; 2008-06-23 at 19:21.
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 00:14   Link #968
jigenbakuda
Kazumi sure is cute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Edit: Okay chapters up and I have to say Watashiya- Sensei really went all didn't hold back on the loli service this time she?...Bath House FTW!

And I called it this was more a focused on Mimi perspective this time around...
I really was not expecting that much fanservice... I was surprised. Bath house

FTW!!!

Spoiler for random thoughts:

Well the hard part is here again, another month... This was a great break from the serious story we just got over. Just as a warning to the faint, this chapter has volume 1 level of fanservice. But of course you probably don't care.
Old 2008-06-23, 17:03   Link #969
mg1942

heh this pretty much seals the deal on why this manga was canceled~

Spoiler for latest chp:
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 19:42   Link #970
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
For those interested a summary and thoughts of Period 38

All in all a classic Kodomo No Jikan style stand alone chapter that showcases it's quirky and edgy style of humour. The highlight was definitely drunk Kagami Kuro.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 20:37   Link #971
spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post

Spoiler for latest chp:
Canceled? What are you talking about...
spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 20:50   Link #972
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz View Post
Canceled? What are you talking about...
The official American release. Canceled. Read the first post of this thread.
Old 2008-06-23, 21:47   Link #973
mg1942

Yes I meant US release.

I read somewhere that Seven Seas tried to classify this title as Shoujo + Romance. Hell... the official US title alone was enough for some people to raise eyebrows.
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 22:07   Link #974
spaz

Ohh yeah it was canceled a long time ago down there, but your post didn't fit with that...
Old 2008-06-24, 00:13   Link #975
Cal-Reflector

A chapter full of service, which was okay. Interestingly though, despite the cheerful ending, Rin has not really resolved her state of conflict of interest in regards to Mimi's feelings for Reiji and her past promise to let her pursue that path.

What will happen when Mimi discovers Rin's intentions? In the worst case scenario she'll be crushed, feel betrayed, and turn "black."

I miss Aoki, Shiro, and Hoin (not Boin! Her best quality is her personality! Besides, Shiro is pretty big too).
Old 2008-06-24, 12:44   Link #976
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

"My breasts failed me!" LOL

Man, this chapter re-showed that scene that got through my fanservice-desensitized mind! But I'm glad the chapter is kind on Mimi. Of the three, she's my favorite character. I'm thinking Mimi just might be Reiji's savior (with Rin's approval). I think she can reach out to him in a way the adults cannot, and this will take Reiji by surprise.
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-24, 18:27   Link #977
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post
"My breasts failed me!" LOL

Man, this chapter re-showed that scene that got through my fanservice-desensitized mind! But I'm glad the chapter is kind on Mimi. Of the three, she's my favorite character. I'm thinking Mimi just might be Reiji's savior (with Rin's approval). I think she can reach out to him in a way the adults cannot, and this will take Reiji by surprise.
I think you bring up a point which no one has thought of yet; might Mimi, with her shared similarities with Reiji, be able to cure him? Perhaps, although in fairness there are many reasons why this wouldn't work (which may be why no one brought it up):

1) Reiji is obsessed with Rin.
2) Mimi is the weakest of the three girls in terms of emotional strength. Her growth (helped a great deal by Reiji and Rin, inadvertently) is a recent event, and its doubtful whether she has the capacity or maturity to "heal" Reiji.
3) If helping Reiji implies doing so through a romantic relationship then it opens a whole new can of worms.
4)If Mimi can help Reiji come to his senses through friendship, that would be the ideal Happy Ending.

All in all its a long shot, but aside from Mimi, Reiji really has no positive relationship with any of the other characters in the story. If not her (or Rin), then he's doomed.
Old 2008-06-24, 20:25   Link #978
spaz

This is going to be a hard ending to predict, I really hope that it ends good with Reiji gone.
Old 2008-06-25, 11:12   Link #979
jigenbakuda
Kazumi sure is cute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post

Spoiler for latest chp:
Spoiler for size

Spoiler for Response to the linked photo:

@Kaioshin Sama
Great article... have you been writing them all along? I never read one before... I'll be checking on your reviews from now on, its been bookmarked I agree with your thoughts for the most part, but just as the one commenter said, I agree that it was not pure fluff. But great to see humor after all the seriousness. Once again kuro-chan is always delivering lots of funny, lol with her moe ass, lol.

@Cal-Reflector

"2) Mimi is the weakest of the three girls in terms of emotional strength. Her growth (helped a great deal by Reiji and Rin, inadvertently) is a recent event, and its doubtful whether she has the capacity or maturity to "heal" Reiji."

Well number 2 on your list... I hope its wrong. I mean its right now. But I love when weak characters give their all and are very brave or supernaturally brave for a short time before they go back to their weak selves. I hope mimi will pull one of those and bag reiji. I really prefer the reiji x mimi relationship, I think their personalities fit each other's needs. Reiji needs to feel like a father and take care of someone or something, and mimi is in serious need of self esteem (although she is gaining self esteem points everyday ), I think a relationship between them would benefit both parties.

Because I'm weird, I would not mind a sad or a painful ending. I just want it to be something I can remember thats it.
Old 2008-06-25, 12:38   Link #980
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigenbakuda View Post
Well number 2 on your list... I hope its wrong. I mean its right now. But I love when weak characters give their all and are very brave or supernaturally brave for a short time before they go back to their weak selves. I hope mimi will pull one of those and bag reiji. I really prefer the reiji x mimi relationship, I think their personalities fit each other's needs. Reiji needs to feel like a father and take care of someone or something, and mimi is in serious need of self esteem (although she is gaining self esteem points everyday ), I think a relationship between them would benefit both parties.
I like Mimi a lot, she's a good girl. I'm just saying one reason why people might not have thought of her as a candidate for helping Reiji is because of her own insecurity. If Mimi continues to grow, with no further emotional set backs, she may be in a position to reach out to Reiji. I believe they could be great friends, analogous to what Shiro-sensei has with Kuro.

Tags
comedy, growing up, loli, school life, seinen