AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > High School DxD [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2018-05-28, 19:09   Link #161
Le Fay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidrago View Post
I just mean that nom@n is really the best translator we have. I'm not sure how accurate Jerutz's translations are, but you could be wrong.

I just really don't trust exact translations from most people unless they prove to be reliable translators. We can get a general idea of what is going on. But the details of what is said and done, now that is where the problem arises.
Well, I agree about nom@n. But then again, please, provide some examples before saying that something is wrong. Everyone could make a mistake due to carelessness, but saying that something is wrong just because you feel like it isn't really nice.
Le Fay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-28, 19:59   Link #162
Lucidrago

Examples other than all the mistranslations that have already been on Discord?

Maybe the source Jerutz translated from is wrong and maybe you're right. But really I just don't trust you as a translator. All I can get is a general idea of what happened. The details and the exact things they say is where the problems come from.
Lucidrago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-29, 01:07   Link #163
Le Fay

Quote:
Examples other than all the mistranslations that have already been on Discord?

Maybe the source Jerutz translated from is wrong and maybe you're right. But really I just don't trust you as a translator. All I can get is a general idea of what happened. The details and the exact things they say is where the problems come from.
I didn't ask you to trust me. Only asked for some examples of those mistranslations you are talking about. Just interested what they are and if they even have anything to do with me.
Old 2018-05-29, 10:19   Link #164
DragonOsman
Dragon King

@Lucidrago: Different translators, man. What makes you think Le Fay is the one giving all of the translations on Discord? The ones I've brought up are his (and I think you can trust them because they seem to be accurate. You can even ask Noman to check if you can), but he isn't the only one and the Discord group he and I are in isn't the only one with DxD discussions either. For example, the false rumor about the master researcher came from a different Discord group FYI.

And yes, again, please provide examples. The ones you're talking about may not even be Le Fay's, after all.
Old 2018-05-29, 13:53   Link #165
Lucidrago

@Le Fay Well maybe I was a bit harsh. Sorry about that.

But are you sure that reads 'Gabriel's breasts?' The characters for breasts could just be included in the characters for another word. I don't know Japanese but do you know Japanese good enough to confirm that it reads 'Gabriel's breasts?'
Old 2018-05-29, 15:11   Link #166
Le Fay

Quote:
@Le Fay Well maybe I was a bit harsh. Sorry about that.

But are you sure that reads 'Gabriel's breasts?' The characters for breasts could just be included in the characters for another word. I don't know Japanese but do you know Japanese good enough to confirm that it reads 'Gabriel's breasts?'
If I wasn't, I wouldn't have written it. The whole point of retyping Japanese sentence was that you could easily check it in dictionary yourself. Again, let's look at this そろそろ大天使ガブリエルさまのお乳でも拝めそう. そろそろ means before long/soon and you can check it in Japanese-English dictionary. 大天使ガブリエルさま is simply archangel Gabriel-sama. の is a particle indicating possessive. お乳 means "breasts" however the actual kanji is only 乳, お just implies politeness. でも is a combination of particles で and も, in this case it means "even" and marks the object to which a verb applies. 拝めそうis an actual verb in potential form and addition of そう is close to "seems like". The verb itself means "to see" in this particular case. You can check almost everything in dictionary (well, except for grammar).
Old 2018-05-29, 20:47   Link #167
Ariel_Saeba
Oppai Enthusiast

The line そろそろ大天使ガブリエルさまのお乳でも拝めそう. is more on the lines of "Nonetheless, I keep praying to Archangel Gabriel's boobs!" The verb stem 拝め means "pray" or "worship" while the non-stem one can be translated also as worship or "bowing one's head" which is also a form of prayer/worship/praise in Japanese.

@Mike Galatine? welp, so that can mean that at this point Satanael had already in possession of Arondight as his trump card.

@Osman and Luci Hm, he was probably thinking of Vergil, at least that's what Fahn complained to me.

Last edited by Ariel_Saeba; 2018-05-29 at 21:02.
Ariel_Saeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-29, 23:36   Link #168
Le Fay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel_Saeba View Post
The line そろそろ大天使ガブリエルさまのお乳でも拝めそう. is more on the lines of "Nonetheless, I keep praying to Archangel Gabriel's boobs!" The verb stem 拝め means "pray" or "worship" while the non-stem one can be translated also as worship or "bowing one's head" which is also a form of prayer/worship/praise in Japanese.

@Mike Galatine? welp, so that can mean that at this point Satanael had already in possession of Arondight as his trump card.

@Osman and Luci Hm, he was probably thinking of Vergil, at least that's what Fahn complained to me.
No, it doesn't mean that. First of all, it's not even a grammar for continious action. Secondly, it's a verb in a potential state. And with this combination of grammar "worship" won't do (it would be にも instead of でも, and would mean "will be able to pray to even Gabriel-sama's breast", which doesn't make much sense). And where did "nonetheless" come from? There's nothing that could indicate that. And where did そろそろ go? Where did そう go?

Last edited by Le Fay; 2018-05-30 at 06:31.
Old 2018-05-30, 12:17   Link #169
Ariel_Saeba
Oppai Enthusiast

Ah, so this is part of the reason why many fan TL suck: they don't have enough translation tricks up their sleeve.

@Le Fay I included them, but substituted it with different function to give a better reading. I'm not really sure of the context at first, but after reading the TL-ed context lines, Freed said "I should give praise to the archangel Gabriel-sama’s breasts once again for slowly raising my faith" it makes sense, at least to me, to substitute そろそろ, lit. "gradually" to "keep" cause it carries the same continuous meaning even though it has shifted from an adverb to a verb (in translation theories it's called shift at word level, for that it can give better context on reading the text). I omitted the adverb そう at first cause I haven't read the context of it, then in the TL the relevant line for that is "slowly raising my faith", so it should be "so that".

As for the particle/conjunction でも, I was trying to not give a negative contrast like the usual but or however, since Freed didn't say anything negative, tho again I haven't checked the context when I posted it. In this line it can be translated as "as well", "also" or "no matter how".

Speaking of the syntax, "potential state" in this line is basically future continuous, as English grammar plebs would call it. Again, I haven't read the context in detail when that was posted, so I omitted the future continuous implication.

Also, if you're talking about grammar, a mild reminder that linguists and translators tend to give less fuck to grammar when translating literary works since they can easily shift it to their liking in order to give better context. Doesn't mean that they are not faithful, cause not all languages have the same level of elements and equivalence.

Last edited by Ariel_Saeba; 2018-05-30 at 12:32.
Ariel_Saeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-30, 12:41   Link #170
Le Fay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel_Saeba View Post
Ah, so this is part of the reason why many fan TL suck: they don't have enough translation tricks up their sleeve.

@Le Fay I included them, but substituted it with different function to give a better reading. I'm not really sure of the context at first, but after reading the TL-ed context lines, Freed said "I should give praise to the archangel Gabriel-sama’s breasts once again for slowly raising my faith" it makes sense, at least to me, to substitute そろそろ, lit. "gradually" to "keep" cause it carries the same continuous meaning even though it has shifted from an adverb to a verb (in translation theories it's called shift at word level, for that it can give better context on reading the text). I omitted the adverb そう at first cause I haven't read the context of it, then in the TL the relevant line for that is "slowly raising my faith", so it should be "so that".

As for the particle/conjunction でも, I was trying to not give a negative contrast like the usual but or however, since Freed didn't say anything negative, tho again I haven't checked the context. In this line it can be translated as "as well", "also" or "no matter how".
You seem to be really misunderstanding something. What you did is no trick, it's plain wrong from grammatical point of view. Once again, look at the verb, it's clear as day that it's potential form, it's nowhere to be found in you variant. そろそろ in this case is no "gradually", and in case of "keep" the verb would look completely different. そうmodifies the verb, what "slowly raising my faith" and "so that" you are even talking about? でも in this case means "even" and marks the object of the verb, because with verb in a potential form を is usually not used. For your variant to be valid, it should be にも, not でも. I'd really advice you to learn grammar better, before making such statements. And how did you even get "こりゃまた俺の信仰が高まって" to mean "for raising my faith", I wonder.
EDIT: didn't see
Quote:
Speaking of the syntax, "potential state" in this line is basically future continuous, as English grammar plebs would call it.
This basically brings to naught the whole point of arguing. You simply don't know grammar. What you do is no translation, you simply look up words' meaning in dictionary and try to fit it the way you want. Japanese isn't a bunch of symbols jumbled together. Japanese has it's own friggin' grammar, which you should take into account.
EDIT2:
Quote:
translators tend to give less fuck to grammar when translating literary works
No comments.

Last edited by Le Fay; 2018-05-30 at 14:56.
Old 2018-05-30, 17:46   Link #171
Lucidrago

Okay moving on.

I'm guessing the Ouryuu Nakiri in Slash Dog is a perverted dragon like Issei. And he draws in beautiful women because of his good looks and him being a Dragon and sleeps with beautiful women everyday.
Old 2018-05-30, 18:49   Link #172
DragonOsman
Dragon King

We need that with more people who possess the power of a dragon. For example, let Vali and Saji find love already, and give Saji especially a harem. Ise can't be the only one who found love and even a friggin' harem. Ddraig even said all of his past hosts were surrounded by members of the opposite sex and that there was even one guy that slept with a different woman every night. So yeah, we really need more dragons like that.
Old 2018-05-30, 21:00   Link #173
Lucidrago

It's not that they can't. Try to note who the main character in DxD is. Vali and Saji get occasional appearances with Vali having a major role in the story. Ishibumi doesn't have time to cover romances for every male character who isn't Issei.

Anyway this is the Slash Dog thread not the DxD thread. So don't get off topic. I'm just curious about Slash Dog's Ouryuu's personality. And what he exactly did. Well what he is going to do.
Old 2018-06-01, 18:38   Link #174
DragonOsman
Dragon King

I think Ishibumi can still give Saji or Vali romance development. Maybe in a SS.

Even Tobio has a harem. Lavinia, Sae and Natsume (you need at least three girls to have a harem). I'm not sure if Tobio would agree to having a harem, though. He'll probably be with just Sae. But the potential is there (the same can be said for Saji, though, since there're some girls in the Sitri peerage who have feelings for him).
Old 2018-06-01, 19:21   Link #175
Lucidrago

Slash Dog Isn't a harem.
Old 2018-06-03, 08:23   Link #176
DragonOsman
Dragon King

There's some potential, though, since Tobio has more than one girl in love with him. I did say he's likelier to choose just one, though (in this case, Sae).
Old 2018-06-03, 09:54   Link #177
Lucidrago

Besides Tobio is the MC of his own series.

Tags
demons, fantasy, supernatural