AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2008-01-10, 10:31   Link #221
TrueKnight

Interesting first Ep. I like the pacing, gonna follow this show. The story related with the religious situation is interesting, it feels like this took place in middle age Prussia/Lithuania or sometthing. Lawrence and Horo interactions were quite funny, not to mention Chloe. Looking forward for the next ep.

And for all of you who had read the light novels or manga, please I beg you refrain yourselves into giving even slightest hint about the Horo's and/or Lawrence's characterization. The manga/light novel SPOILERS were so tempting that I had to fast-read all the post just to avoid it. Please pity us non-manga/lightnovel readers D:
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 13:08   Link #222
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow1770 View Post
It seemed to me that Lawrence understood Chloe's intentions perfectly, and that he pretended not to in order to avoid a direct refusal. He does not see her as an adult or a love interest, and he didn't want to hurt her. I got the impression he regarded her more as a little sister than anything. When she sprawls on the hay, and he catches himself looking her over, he immediately looks away in embarrassment.

C: I've grown without you even noticing.
L: No, you have a long way to go as a merchant...

He keeps his distance here, never giving in to the innuendo. The whole scene is a conversation on two levels at once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Yet because of what lawrence thought of her, and the fact that she wasn't confirming anything, the converstation remained on the "merchant" subject on the surface.
Pratically because of that they were playing dumb with each other - while lawrence understood what she meant, chloe wasn't able to confirm whether he does or not based on his reaction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
I got the impression that he's not ready to settle down yet... no matter how tempting the offer was.

Forget not however the other percentage of us that wanted to kick Lawrence in the ass just in case he didn't catch on.

"Chance! Go get her! ...What!?! Oh you stupid...! Ah, now she grabbed your hand,.. you're not getting out of this one. There! Now he's thinking with his... Wait... What? What the hell are you doing?!? ... "

In summary, he had a wide stance.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 13:38   Link #223
darksider

Yeah, and ending the story in the first episode is no good, I guess

One thing or two on the sub by BSS: it was good overall (and considering it as a speedsub it's excellent I guess) but the opening sequence of the story is a bit off and misleading (well, not really maybe, it's about background and not the main story itself), and it seems like BSS guys didn't bother to translate "Kenrou Horo (賢狼ホロ)" but I suppose it can be translated as "Horo the Wise Wolf" or something.
darksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 13:49   Link #224
ritalman

Send a message via MSN to ritalman
Quote:
Originally Posted by D a m i e n View Post
english isnt my first language so pardon my french .
i dont know the translation of "démagologique" in english.
Démagologique doesn't exist in French either though.
ritalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 14:00   Link #225
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah Lawrence didn't seem keen on leaving the current lifestyle he had. By taking up Cloe's offer on any of the level's that have been brought up that would be in jeopardy.

Do wonder about that big proposal (aside from the relationship) that she brought up. I'm sure he was being honest about those being risky. Plus wonder what kind of role she could have with Lawrence and Horo hitting the open trail.
Old 2008-01-10, 15:09   Link #226
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green² View Post
Forget not however the other percentage of us that wanted to kick Lawrence in the ass just in case he didn't catch on.

"Chance! Go get her! ...What!?! Oh you stupid...! Ah, now she grabbed your hand,.. you're not getting out of this one. There! Now he's thinking with his... Wait... What? What the hell are you doing?!? ... "

In summary, he had a wide stance.
Sure, I'll gladly join in the ass kicking if he didn't catch on...but seeing him move his head sidewards when she was in that provocative position just shows that he is a man of honor

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 15:09   Link #227
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Apologies if I've thrown any spoilers from the manga/novels.... but I'm usually looser about spoilers that are contained within the first episode and in order to get people interested you *HAVE* to explain at least a bit of the opening part.

Further analysis from me will either take the anime as a stand-alone product (or contrast it with the same source moment in spoilers).

Chloe rolling in the hay... so to speak - the way the director cut and edit that gave me the impression that he was suddenly aware that he was no longer dealing with just a young woman apprentice but someone who is making their feelings plain. Shocku! So he keeps it professional to her annoyance -- I like the idea that he's just not ready to settle down YET which is why he counterproposes something "down the road". And she ripostes with that nice little line that implies he's not the only fish in the sea so he shouldn't turn away offers so lightly.
Anyway, however one interprets it - I liked the director's cut-techniques. He used something similar on Horo a couple of times to convey that feeling of "totality grokking" of an attractive person.
Old 2008-01-10, 15:37   Link #228
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Sure, I'll gladly join in the ass kicking if he didn't catch on...but seeing him move his head sidewards when she was in that provocative position just shows that he is a man of honor
We dont have exactly concret proof that he didnt catch on. I thought the same thing and YES if it turns out he didnt then we all need to take him out back for a what i like to call an Awakening.

After rewatching it i figured he was just brushing her off and made it seem like he didnt get it. Because he sure did notice her breast and those long long lavishly long legs. My next question with Lawrence travelling so much what are the chances that Chole will go after him? There is no way she is just going to chill in the village he left without saying goodbye that had to have pissed her off.
Old 2008-01-10, 15:49   Link #229
devildog23
Summerlurking

I just watched the first episode and I gotta say, I'm going to like this series. It looks interesting and unique plot-wise and the characters are likable.
devildog23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 16:06   Link #230
Mr VacBob
yotsuba channel

Send a message via AIM to Mr VacBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Hmmmm, the ADTRW seems to have a better quality video... but I'm leaning towards the BSS sub-translation. More stewing required, will probably download both for a few episodes.
Example? Assuming they spend another hour editing it/finding the actual HD raw it'll be left to them, but I'm always interested in critique.

Quote:
However, "demagologic" isn't a word in any dictionary, wiki, or google - so maybe you want to give that another shot?
"fanservice"
Mr VacBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 17:08   Link #231
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Let me review the dialog more carefully, if that's what you're referring to. Usually what happens is I end up liking certain pieces of more than one group and I never can pick a "best one". Sometimes a looser translation actually works better and sometimes a tight translation does... its rather subjective.

If you mean the video quality, pumping both up to full widescreen display -- the ADTRW version just seemed sharper and more vibrant. I'm not really a techwiz on why that might be though.
Old 2008-01-10, 17:36   Link #232
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I commend Lawrence for following his brain and not his penis. He obviously liked what he does as a traveling merchant and didn't think that Chloe's future deal was sound enough for him both financial and personal and passed.

If he continues to travel, do you think that Chloe is going to be faithful? Saying "Don't underestimate me" implying she'll go off and find someone else just about nailed it imo. If she screws up that deal, she'll be paying with her body imo. Either way, Lawrence moving on is the best thing for him to do imo.
Old 2008-01-10, 17:58   Link #233
herbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
After rewatching it i figured he was just brushing her off and made it seem like he didnt get it. Because he sure did notice her breast and those long long lavishly long legs. My next question with Lawrence travelling so much what are the chances that Chole will go after him? There is no way she is just going to chill in the village he left without saying goodbye that had to have pissed her off.
Of course there is chance. Aside the obvious reason (she is in OP and ED so no way she has no furthur role to play), the count (the lord of her village) comes to her at end of ep 1 which must mean something he wants she do.

But you don't need to worry if Lawrence's departure would piss her off, acutally, Lawrence is not supposed to say goodbye with her. She cut the last stack of wheat so she is the horo of her village of this year, which means, by tradition, she must be locked in a barn for a whole week and be prohibited from talking to anyone. Because

Spoiler for this is novel spoiler, I put here since I don't think they may explain this in future anime:
Old 2008-01-10, 18:26   Link #234
Traece
:cool:

It always seemed to me like Lawrence was intentionally avoiding settling down. After all some people just don't want to settle down while they're still going strong. Some people don't settle down at all.
In any case, I thought this was a great show. I had never heard of Spice and Wolf before yesterday but I can say that I'm looking forward to every episode. Plus, Horo has already become my new favorite femme from anime due to her stunning looks and her nature. I do feel a bit bad for Chloe but at the same time she knows Lawrence better than anyone and he exhumes enjoyment over his job as a peddler. That's all for today! I loved the episode.
Old 2008-01-10, 19:58   Link #235
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Now we seem to have three subbers, Infinite-Zero just popped a release of ep 1. (in addition to BSS and ADTRW).

Nothing like a plethora of choices for sub picks.
Old 2008-01-10, 20:03   Link #236
Archuka
A territory most absolute

Hmm, that was a nice first episode. I don't usually like shounen very much, but this one seems quite unique in its genre and worked for me. It's calm with likable characters. I suppose it has a little bit of Asatte no Houkou in it.

I was a little distracted by the massive loss of nipples throughout the episode, though. I know that's a common way to lower the age recommendation for a series, but I just find it silly and it tends to stick out quite a bit.

Also, as a Finn I was quite amused by Horo's name as "horo" is Finnish for "ho". She appeared naked on Lawrence's bed before they even properly knew each other so I guess it fits.
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 20:25   Link #237
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Now we seem to have three subbers, Infinite-Zero just popped a release of ep 1. (in addition to BSS and ADTRW).

Nothing like a plethora of choices for sub picks.
Considering ADTRW's sub doesn't work correctly for me in VLC (the subs never disappear, they remain on screen indefinitely), I'm going to get I-Z's too.

Gotta go edit ClockworkGiantPandas.com again. :l
Old 2008-01-10, 21:19   Link #238
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archuka View Post
Hmm, that was a nice first episode. I don't usually like shounen very much, but this one seems quite unique in its genre and worked for me. It's calm with likable characters. I suppose it has a little bit of Asatte no Houkou in it.
If the first ep is any indication, I'd say this is more seinen than shounen.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 21:25   Link #239
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

^ Yes. It is definitely seinen. I think the average young boy/preteen would be quite bored to tears at something based around traveling merchantry, medieval economics and an in depth look into pagan religion.
Grimkill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 21:27   Link #240
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Some more subbing with this series with AnimeLink coming out with one. Plenty behind this series so we won't be lacking for options.

Can understand Lawrence wanting to stay on the road. Probably has quite a few people and friends out there after who knows how long he's been travelling. Besides if he didn't leave we'd miss all the escapades with Horo.

Tags
adventure, drama, fantasy, furry, imagin, kemonomimi, romance, shounen