AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2018-12-13, 04:52   Link #81
Last Sinner
Fear Inoculum

Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
AniDB generally goes off of media releases for airing dates, particularly from ANN.

Are legitimate titles still going to be restricted to those that got BD/DVD releases by the time this year is over? If so, that really rules out the titles I was most invested in from this year.

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” - Aristotle
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-13, 07:57   Link #82
Haak
You disgust me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I thought I excluded adult titles. Maybe a few slipped through AniDB's filters?

With respect to your question about episode durations, I didn't see that when I ran a search at AniDB. There are ways to search the ANN database, and maybe the one at MAL, so I'll take a look when I have a chance.
Going through the spreadsheet data list, I don't think I can actually use this to be honest. I'm seeing way too many discrepancies and shows missing (e.g. Goblin Slayer, Gundam Origins, Banana Fish) for me to have any faith in it, although they do appear on the AniDB list.

And I don't know enough about Google Forms to know if I can add stuff during the vote period. In fact, i may just pass on Google Forms altogether. It's tempting but i don't know enough about it and it could all go pear shaped pretty easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
AniDB generally goes off of media releases for airing dates, particularly from ANN.

Are legitimate titles still going to be restricted to those that got BD/DVD releases by the time this year is over? If so, that really rules out the titles I was most invested in from this year.
For Movies yes but not for anything else. Although at this rate I don't think there's going to be any Awards anyway. XP
Old 2018-12-21, 18:47   Link #83
Haak
You disgust me.

We're Back Mofos

Good news everyone. The 2018 Awards are back in business and will continue as planned.

And not only will it NOT be scaled down, we've also decided to add a whole section of new categories. We figured that since we weren't sure if these Awards would carry on in the future, we'd go full beans this time and out in a blaze of glory. Don't worry, these extra categories are marked as such and are basically included due to popular request in the past but not being able to include them due to other reasons. Please don't feel the need to vote in them if you don't want to, but it will also serve as a good test to see what's hot and what's not for future Awards (if they're still around). This is what the categories look like now:
Spoiler for categories:

The Awards will still be a two phase thing but we've decided to also implement a long overdue overhaul of the whole 2 point-1 point based system that we had with the Nominations phase. You see, this was always a bit of a crude implementation of the Instant Run Off method, so for this years Awards we'll be introducing a proper Ranked Choice system. For the nomination phase you'll be able to pick up to five anime for each category and rank them from most favoured to least. How the votes get counted is explained in this video:
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

If you think it sounds harder to pick five rather than three then don't worry because I thought the same thing but I actually went and picked my shows just now and it turned out to be a lot easier than I remember it from last year. Turns out there's a lot less judgement calls needed in what should be top five rather than what should be top three (particularly for character categories). Just remember that you don't have to choose five: That's just the upper limit. I'll drop the list of Eligible Series here so people can have a look if they want to:
Complete List of Eligible Shows
Spoiler for list:

Anything not on the list is NOT eligible for categories {A1} to {D5} and votes will be deemed invalid when processed.
If you think a show meets the criteria but is not on the list please contact me.

The Handy Helper isn't available just yet but it will be when the Nomination Phase begins.

The Top Six will go through to the Voting Phase which is the same a normal: One Vote-One Winner.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Last edited by Haak; 2018-12-21 at 18:57.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-21, 19:28   Link #84
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Well, that is really great news! Thanks for your hard work.

Really interested in this year's results.
Old 2018-12-21, 21:05   Link #85
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

uwaaahhh excited for this....
although I just recently watching anime back.. I'm happy to take part on this again
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-21, 22:10   Link #86
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

*Bravo!*
(Message too short)

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-22, 07:06   Link #87
Dextro
He Without a Title

Holy guackamole! We just went full on lightspeed on the awards.

LET'S DO THIS!
Old 2018-12-22, 10:57   Link #88
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
The Top Six will go through to the Voting Phase which is the same a normal: One Vote-One Winner.
Small note here: voting phase is also going to use instant-runoff voting. So you can vote just one, or you can order some or all of them in the order you think is best. There will be only one winner (unless ties happen).
Old 2018-12-22, 14:00   Link #89
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Good. Will be waiting for the Nominations phase start.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-22, 16:34   Link #90
Dawnstorm

Unexpected good news! Thanks a lot.

Question: What's "Best Producer-san"? I almost never know producers. Studios + prominent companies (say Kadokawa or Cygames)?

Also: Voice actors: overall yearly performance or for a specific performance (I'd prefer the latter as it's easier to nominate people)?
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-22, 18:44   Link #91
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@Drawnstorm for both you nominate people (as in names), only VA and Staff that worked on shows eligible this year.

For "Best Producer-san" this is not just producers but ALL staff, any role is valid. We'll have some appendix posts to help out with who did what. I have to warn you now they'll be just top however-many-fit, but they're not restrictive so you can vote for other people so long as they worked on an show this year (or movie eligible this year).

More details in nominations phase. We're still working out the wording and other details.
Old 2018-12-22, 18:48   Link #92
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Noice. Glad to see we’re sticking around for at least one more year.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-22, 19:04   Link #93
Haak
You disgust me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Disregard this folks. As felix says, the Voting Phase will follow a Ranked Choice system as well. You can rank the nominees in order of preference, though if you only liked one out of the nominees then you can just vote for one (and if you liked none then GTFO).
Old 2018-12-22, 19:08   Link #94
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I thought "best producer-san" was a joke category (Zombieland Saga and all that)
Old 2018-12-22, 19:09   Link #95
Last Sinner
Fear Inoculum

Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Crushed the one title that was light years ahead of everything else for me is released on BD on January 30 in Japan and therefore not eligible. But I'll find something to vote for...somehow...

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” - Aristotle
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-22, 23:07   Link #96
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
For "Best Producer-san" this is not just producers but ALL staff, any role is valid. We'll have some appendix posts to help out with who did what.

I'm in awe of the effort you're putting into this, especially since it looked like there mightn't be any awards this year. Also, thanks for the clarifications.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-24, 06:46   Link #97
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

I'm not participating but I'm very interested in seeing how the alternative vote turns out.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-26, 11:04   Link #98
CptChaos

Really glad to see this is still happening. The amount of people may have lessened over the years, but it's still my favourite awards. What changed your mind?
CptChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-26, 11:26   Link #99
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptChaos View Post
Really glad to see this is still happening. The amount of people may have lessened over the years, but it's still my favourite awards. What changed your mind?
I gave it a try rewriting it from scratch and it worked out. Also, going on vacation helps.
Old 2018-12-26, 18:34   Link #100
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Don’t think this isn’t appreciated, especially by longtime posters.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote