AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2019-01-15, 14:02   Link #61
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm really pleased with those results. There are only a couple shows that seems popular that I haven't watched, so it doesn't seem like I missed much this year.

I wonder how much the results of the voting phase will differ.
Old 2019-01-15, 15:27   Link #62
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Direct Link to Nominations Results (they're at the end of the previous page)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm really pleased with those results. There are only a couple shows that seems popular that I haven't watched, so it doesn't seem like I missed much this year.
Good, because that's exactly what instant-runoff voting is designed to do. =P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I wonder how much the results of the voting phase will differ.
Probably just as much as previous years. The idea has always been that the two phases exist to both filter and give a chance for people to watch gems they missed, and also reduce the list from 200ish options to just a few options. A lot more options this year then previous years so more niche shows can make the cut and not just get shafted for not being well known. The new voting system also allows you to vote for your niche shows with out worry.

We're much much better now in preventing some "big minority" win that majority disagrees with, but, this is a popularity contest, don't hold your breath, the popular thing will still win.

---

My 2 cents on the series this year,

Everyone keeps saying this year was "dry." I marathoned most of it in the last few months and this didn't feel dry at all. There's plenty of good something I feel of all styles.
So many I've yet to even have time to dable into some of them, like After the Rain, Grand Blue and MEGALOBOX, which seems to be on a lot of peoples lists.

There's even plenty of B-tier series that didn't make anyone's list from what I see that I want to try.
Old 2019-01-16, 17:22   Link #63
Dextro
He Without a Title

Honestly the year did feel a bit dry for me but I'm guessing that it was just because the Winter season was so stacked while Spring and Summer were kind of "meh" for me! But, to be fair, I had a very busy year that robbed me of many of my anime viewing hours so, at least for me, my votes in the voting phase might just differ substantially from the nomination (namely I hadn't seen Gridman or Goblin Slayer until last weekend for example).

Anyway I always looked forward to these awards precisely to find the shows that I missed and I can already see a couple of high profile ones I completely missed. That should help tide me over the dryer summer months at least.

And as a note: yes, the new nomination method does sound like it produces much better results. I'm impressed.
Old 2019-01-16, 19:44   Link #64
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

At least from the looks of it for the next couple of seasons, 2019 will have less (Narou) LN adaptions, so in that sense, 2019 will be a better year.
Of course, as always, the anime to focus on are the original anime works, not the ones animated for the sole purpose of advertisement. And 2018 had good ones too.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-16, 20:57   Link #65
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
At least from the looks of it for the next couple of seasons, 2019 will have less (Narou) LN adaptions, so in that sense, 2019 will be a better year.
[...]
Are you sure about that? Just for the confirmed ones:

Winter: Slime (2nd cour), Shield Hero (1st cour)
Spring: Shield Hero (2nd cour), Kenja no Mago
Summer: Arifureta
Fall: --

Announced last year with no release date yet: Average Nanomachine Loli isekai, Bakarina's Otome Isekai, 8th son isekai.

So this year we already have 3 narou series confirmed, 4 if you count the second half of Slime. There are also 3 more that might still be released this year. We might also still get surprise announcements for this year's Fall season yet and it's possible that I overlooked something as well.
Old 2019-01-17, 00:47   Link #66
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I do a top 20 list every year so I compare them, whether I really want to or not. For me '18 was pretty soft on the whole - probably the weakest year for my palate since I started blogging (2010). That's been the general trend as LN and cellphone game adaptations have become more and more prominent - with 2016 being a lone and inexplicable exception.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-17, 01:05   Link #67
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

2018 was a great anime-year for me. It started with Devilman and ended with Gridman (with other great works in between). Both revived their franchises in a huge way which also represent other "franchise revivals" in that year. Nuff said.
Old 2019-01-17, 01:53   Link #68
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
Are you sure about that? Just for the confirmed ones:

Winter: Slime (2nd cour), Shield Hero (1st cour)
Spring: Shield Hero (2nd cour), Kenja no Mago
Summer: Arifureta
Fall: --

Announced last year with no release date yet: Average Nanomachine Loli isekai, Bakarina's Otome Isekai, 8th son isekai.

So this year we already have 3 narou series confirmed, 4 if you count the second half of Slime. There are also 3 more that might still be released this year. We might also still get surprise announcements for this year's Fall season yet and it's possible that I overlooked something as well.
Well, I did say less, not none. Of course, there will be a number of adaptions (*eyeroll*), with some even being two-cour unfortunately. Putting aside continuations, your list only has 1 new anime a season, which seems less to me.
(In honesty, I haven't specifically counted though)

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-17, 02:25   Link #69
Last Sinner
Fear Inoculum

Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
2018 was alright. I struggled to find series to go past 8/10 (and I also struggled to find ones to reach that, even.) So far have only found one, which hit 8.5. There was a movie that reached 9.5 for me but seems like no one else around even knows of it and it was ineligible because of a Jan 30 release. But I don't think I liked anything popular this year. Been a fair while since I have.

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” - Aristotle

Last edited by Last Sinner; 2019-01-17 at 02:53.
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-17, 03:25   Link #70
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The lack of that one or two great, seminal masterpieces was a bit factor for me downgrading the year too.
Old 2019-01-17, 05:40   Link #71
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

For me personally 3-gatsu, YagaKImi and YoriMoi already were enough to make this year great.

Tastes differ, of course, but looks like you, people, stoppped enjoying things as they are. Searching for materpieces only in any media is not productive.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-17, 05:54   Link #72
Last Sinner
Fear Inoculum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
Tastes differ, of course, but looks like you, people, stoppped enjoying things as they are. Searching for materpieces only in any media is not productive.
I don't recall either of us saying that. There's no harm/loss in being honest about how one evaluates a title or a year's body of work. You can still enjoy an 8/10 title, or even a 7. But if an 8/10 is considered to be too low for someone to have enjoyed a title, that is hilarious.

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” - Aristotle
Old 2019-01-17, 06:10   Link #73
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Nah, for me to low is 6. I am just saying that if someone only cdonsider a year good if there were at least a couple of 10/10 titles, than maybe your approach is not right. Especially considering that something 10 for one person may be just 7 or lower for another.
Old 2019-01-17, 09:01   Link #74
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

With no disrespect intended, what you’re saying makes absolutely no sense.
Old 2019-01-17, 09:45   Link #75
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Maybe my phrasing is bad as English is not my native language.

Let's say it the other way: when I am reading your reviews and comments for the last two years or so I just think that you got tired of anime as it is and became to picky regarding it.

And ther same can be said about a large number of people who watch it for a long time. Maybe it's time to have a break if you cannot simply enjoy the thing and try to find flaws in everything.
Old 2019-01-17, 10:24   Link #76
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Over the decade or so I've been watching anime, the industry has shown waves of originality and waves of mimicry. The recession ended the diversity of the 2005-2008 period, as production committees only felt justified in financing sure things. (It also led to the decline of two-cour or longer programming.) Originality perked up again around 2010, as did the economy, and I'd rate the past couple of years as better than most. Most of the shows that catch my attention, like Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens, Angolmois, Miira no Kaikata, or Hataraku Saibou, are almost always minority tastes. I'm fine with that as long as there are half-a-dozen shows worth watching in a given year.

2018 gave us the second season of 3-gatsu no Lion and Golden Kamuy which together could perhaps justify the entire year.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-17, 10:31   Link #77
Last Sinner
Fear Inoculum

This has been amusing, but in the interests of being civil and to avoid derailing this thread's purpose, can we just agree that you (Nacht) don't think Enzo and I can enjoy a title that we rank 8/10 but that we actually do. Just let it go.

Felix, Haak, nice work. Thanks for keeping this going.

Old 2019-01-17, 11:17   Link #78
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
This has been amusing, but in the interests of being civil and to avoid derailing this thread's purpose, can we just agree that you (Nacht) don't think Enzo and I can enjoy a title that we rank 8/10 but that we actually do. Just let it go.

Felix, Haak, nice work. Thanks for keeping this going.
Sorry for being harsh. I meant no offence, just remembered some angry twits and recent reviews from Enzo.

Lets really stop it.
Old 2019-01-17, 13:41   Link #79
Haak
You disgust me.

Quote:
Quote:
Nah, for me to low is 6. I am just saying that if someone only cdonsider a year good if there were at least a couple of 10/10 titles, than maybe your approach is not right. Especially considering that something 10 for one person may be just 7 or lower for another.
I understand what you're saying but I'd like to point out that people can have very specific circumstances. For me personally, it's just a mixture of long term weariness and lack of time. After watching 600+ anime, I feel like I've seen so many "good" shows over the years that "good" is starting to become the new "average" and I also just don't have the time to be watching the 10 plus shows per season that I used to when I first got into seasonal anime.

On a possibly side note or possibly related note, I think it may be worth pointing out that the vast majority of the "good" shows that aired this year are only one cour long, and I think that can have a significant effect in terms of memorability and "staying power", which can then have an effect on how you view a year.
Old 2019-01-17, 16:48   Link #80
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Maybe my phrasing is bad as English is not my native language.

Let's say it the other way: when I am reading your reviews and comments for the last two years or so I just think that you got tired of anime as it is and became to picky regarding it.

And ther same can be said about a large number of people who watch it for a long time. Maybe it's time to have a break if you cannot simply enjoy the thing and try to find flaws in everything.
Like I said not intending offense. But the essence of your argument seems to be "Because you didn't rate as shows as highly in 2018 as prior years, you're the problem - you just need to stop waiting for higher-rated shows." It completely discounts the validity (and diversity) of subjective opinion. Not to mention the classic old saw of disregarding any opinion that contrasts with your own as objectively wrong for the simple reason that it disagrees.