AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2019-02-05, 12:59   Link #41
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
-{A4}- [Best Use of Sound]
Wouldn't it be better if we call it "Best Sound Editing & Mixing"? You know, like the Oscars.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-05, 15:31   Link #42
Haak
lol
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Wouldn't it be better if we call it "Best Sound Editing & Mixing"? You know, like the Oscars.
Woah, chill the f out man. Don't be coming in here and blowing our minds away with your complex, philosophical shit. This ain't the time and place for that.


...


It's under consideration. XP
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-05, 15:34   Link #43
Cloudedmind
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
A bit late to the party, but thanks again Felix and Haak for all the work you put into running these awards.

I'm mostly happy with the results.

In regards to the new categories, I thought the ones we had this year were nice, and I'm fine with any of the proposed ones for next year. My only concern is that if we just have one big VA category is that the top spots will continue to be dominated by female VA and not highlight the great male VA's that also exist each year.
__________________
https://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic219436_5.gif
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-05, 17:22   Link #44
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kobe, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
There should be a guilty pleasure category, tbh.

I’d support that over a “Healing” category any day. Having the former along with SoL is total overkill to me.

And I agree about the VA categories. Needs to be one for each gender.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-06, 17:25   Link #45
Dextro
He Without a Title
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The land of tempura
I'll join the chorus supporting a "Guilty Pleasure" category instead of a "Healing" one. Healing/Feel Good is just too close to SoL but guilty pleasure might be an interesting one to see the results off.

As for the Voice Actor category I'm actually ok keeping it as is if we keep the new 2018 system of nominations and voting. It might just work despite the fear of having popular female seiyuu dominate.

Honestly with the way the system was for this year I no longer have many fears of any one choice dominating the results. I'm a believer!
__________________
Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-06, 18:31   Link #46
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
I'm fine with adding a -{X6}- [Guilty Pleasure] category (not including "Best" is intentional).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Wouldn't it be better if we call it "Best Sound Editing & Mixing"? You know, like the Oscars.
Personally I feel that sounds too technical. It feels like goes into too many specifics and favors sophisticary. What mixing? What does editing even involve? If it got the effect does it matter how "complex" the process was to get to it? I'm not trying to belittle editing and mixing, but hope you see what I'm pointing to as a potential issue with naming it like that. I don't know why the Oscars have it named like that, until I do, just because the Oscars do it doesn't mean much in my book.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-06, 19:15   Link #47
Dawnstorm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Austria
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
I'm fine with adding a -{X6}- [Guilty Pleasure] category (not including "Best" is intentional).

I'm getting a kick out of imagining a "guiltiest pleasure" category.



(This is not a suggestion.)
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-06, 19:32   Link #48
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 32
I think it would be a good idea to have a male and a female voice actor category too. If I'm being honest, I'm probably never going to vote for a dude otherwise (I have plenty of male seiyuu I love, but they tend to get overshadowed by female ones)

I'm also in favor of keeping slice of life as is instead of adding another similar category.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-06, 19:40   Link #49
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
I'm fine with adding a -{X6}- [Guilty Pleasure] category (not including "Best" is intentional).

Personally I feel that sounds too technical. It feels like goes into too many specifics and favors sophisticary. What mixing? What does editing even involve? If it got the effect does it matter how "complex" the process was to get to it? I'm not trying to belittle editing and mixing, but hope you see what I'm pointing to as a potential issue with naming it like that. I don't know why the Oscars have it named like that, until I do, just because the Oscars do it doesn't mean much in my book.
Oh, sorry. I thought the terms are already common knowledge among moviegoers. This is the basic concept of the terms:

Sound Editing:
The process of selecting and assembling sound recordings in preparation for the final sound mixing or mastering of a television program, motion picture, video game, or any production involving recorded or synthetic sound.

Sound Mixing:
The process by which multiple sounds are combined into one or more channels. In the process, a source's volume level, frequency content, dynamics, and panoramic position are manipulated and or enhanced.

Or, if you want a simpler term, you can call those processes as "Sound Directing". So, the nomination can be called "Best Sound Directing". I think that sounds nicer.

All in all, I just want to add more prestige for the Asuki Awards. I mean, say what you want about Oscars' selection of nominees & winners, they still have well-defined Nomination titles made by professionals.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-06, 21:19   Link #50
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
You guys realize that a lot of males are voiced by females right? What should those roles be considered as? Also, we actually allowed you to vote for ANY voice actor, not just japanese seyuu.

Guess this discussion shows we might as well just call it "Best Seyuu" honestly.

Personally I don't feel it's unfair since it's about performance. We can also just simply declare who's best (actually) male seyuu if a female wins, or vice versa, with out the need for an extra category. Just as we know this year Tomokazu Sugita (of 3-gatsu no lion fame I assume) is best male VA. We could accept more nominees for it, but think it's better to just do the already proposed looser rules for E (top 6 ranks, max 9, instead of fixed top 5 like the rest) so not just every tom, dick and harry goes though with 1 vote to his name.

You guys have 5 picks, if a male VA doesn't even make it into one of your 5 spots, why bother giving them a special award? They're not disadvantaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm also in favor of keeping slice of life as is instead of adding another similar category.
For the record, they are meant to be actually very different. Haak proposed we keep the names for familiarity sake. Slice of Life in the new format is actually meant as a drama-only category. Meaning dramas that follow the life of someone. The drama category was also to be renamed to be more obvious what it is (ie. it's current purpose), which is dramas that follow a theme: crime drams, war drams, historical dramas, etc.

Adding a place where the more humble shows can actually have a chance was one reason for adding the new category, making slice of life more stylistically consistent between entries was another. No intermingling (or minimized at least) between shows that take themselves very seriously and shows that make it a point not to.

If you guys find it too hard or confusing to think of slice of life as not being similar at all then we can go back to the idea of renaming I guess.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-07, 01:06   Link #51
Cloudedmind
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
We'd be voting for the best voice actor/actress, so clearly we'd be going by the gender of said voice actor/actress and not by the gender of the role they did. Using the Oscars as an example, when Eddie Redmayne was nominated for the Danish Girl, he wasn't thrust into the Best Actress category just because he played a trans-gendered woman. He was nominated for Best Actor, since the actor himself is male and identifies as such.

And because this forum and most anime forums in general are biased as hell towards women?!
__________________
https://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic219436_5.gif
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-07, 06:46   Link #52
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kobe, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
We'd be voting for the best voice actor/actress, so clearly we'd be going by the gender of said voice actor/actress and not by the gender of the role they did. Using the Oscars as an example, when Eddie Redmayne was nominated for the Danish Girl, he wasn't thrust into the Best Actress category just because he played a trans-gendered woman. He was nominated for Best Actor, since the actor himself is male and identifies as such.

And because this forum and most anime forums in general are biased as hell towards women?!
All that, pretty much.

When I do my year-end awards, if an actress voices a male character she's still considered for the actress category. And if you're going to just have one category for seiyuu you may as well just limit it to women because around here, no male seiyuu is ever going to win no matter how great they were.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-07, 14:38   Link #53
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
And if you're going to just have one category for seiyuu you may as well just limit it to women because around here, no male seiyuu is ever going to win no matter how great they were.
I do not disagree with that they're less favored to reach #1 but as far as knowing who is up there, we know that even this year (like I said, it's Tomokazu Sugita). I don't really like this splitting of the sexes since it feels like it's more about making it a pure female category then giving recognition to male VAs. They get a lot more recognition in my mind when they compete with the "unbeatable" female VAs and make it though. If we follow though this I fear we'll then have to also add Eng VA Female/Male, for the sake of this fairness. So I think a little bias does a lot of good here.

If you guys just want it to be female-only just say it.

If you really want a male category then first answer my query from earlier of why we can't just name the top of the opposite sex of the winner as "the best male va" (assuming it's a year where a female seyuu wins). I'll even extend it to this system applying to everyone else so long as they make it past nominations. Meaning if we get english VA there and they dont get #1 they still get "Best English VA" or "Best English Female VA" and "Best English Male VA" (if we get both). Of course if an english VA gets #1 then he/she is "Best VA" and everyone else will have to settle for "Best Japanese VA" or again "Best Japanese Female VA" and "Best Japanese Male VA" if we have both

Is there anything unfair with this approach? Yes we do get considerably few choices but at the same time we avoid having categories with potentially poor showings. I'll be honest, I don't expect non-female japanese seyuu VA categories to be consistent. I'm sure we'll always have some at least decent enough jp female seyuu but as for everyone else I can totally see complete flop years. There's also the pro that everyone competes together, including japanese female VA vs english female VA, etc.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-07, 15:36   Link #54
Haak
lol
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 28
As far as the Voice Actor debate is concerned, I don't mind either way because it's not really an area that I was even bothered with. But there are a few points worth raising:
  • Whilst we would like to assume that male voice actors aren't disadvantaged, the truth is that the large majority of us are male and...well...just look at that nomination list (XP). Yeah sure it is only one year and a small sample size of voters but that sample size isn't getting any bigger and considering the stage this forum is at, I can understand why some people would rather not be willing to wait for more data.
  • A few years back, a Voice Actor category had been considered but ultimately rejected because I thought it would spawn more and more categories but now I kinda feel like I was being overly cautious. Now, I think if we allow a gender distinction then that's that: i don't think the slippery slope is anything to worry about. I doubt there's enough people on this forum into voice acting that would care to advocate for more distinctions beyond that point, anyway. And thanks to the new X category I'm less bothered about an extra category like I was before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm also in favor of keeping slice of life as is instead of adding another similar category.
To expand on what felix mentioned, the original proposal was to change the two categories:
[Best Drama]
[Best Slice of Life]

Into:
[Best Themed Drama] — depiction focusing on a strong realistic theme: war, crime, historical, etc (literally "Best Drama" as we have it now)
[Best Life Drama] — depiction of the life of a very limited set of characters dealing with life issues
[Best Relaxing & Carefree] — depiction of mundane experiences, in a relaxing context

So basically [Slice of Life] would be split into [Life Drama] and [Best Relaxing & Carefree] but I didn't really like the name "Life Drama" because I didn't think that was a good descriptor for the more "serious" Slice of Life shows that get nominated in that category.

Again, any feedback on this would be appreciated. Do you like the names? Are there better names? Do you think the categories should be split?
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-07, 17:50   Link #55
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kobe, Japan
I just don’t think that schism is necessary, because two categories is already plenty of coverage for that end of the marketplace (no matter what names you use).

By contrast, a “Best Guilty Pleasure” would be tilling pretty much fresh ground. Hell, I’d even be good with a Best Trash category.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-08, 08:40   Link #56
Liddo-kun
a small cat
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nanairogaoka
Send a message via MSN to Liddo-kun
I was not able to vote, but glad to see A Place Further than the Universe get some awards. Awesome show from 2018.

And thanks to the organizers for once again putting effort to make this contest.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-08, 12:53   Link #57
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I just don’t think that schism is necessary, because two categories is already plenty of coverage for that end of the marketplace (no matter what names you use).

By contrast, a “Best Guilty Pleasure” would be tilling pretty much fresh ground. Hell, I’d even be good with a Best Trash category.
Your second paragraph kind of tells me why you're fine with things as-is.

Like I've said the first reason for making a category for those shows is because there's plenty of them but they have no chance once they're inter-mingled with sophisticated dramas in there. There's no argument to be made for them winning because they're by definition non-competing in style. I'm well aware there are plenty of people who (a) don't care for those style of shows (b) very much like a category where "drama" or "semi-drama" slice of life can win easily by having these non-competing series against them. For this reason I'm very much tacking a defensive stance on this. If we can have sports (which is pretty much covered by drama since it's "sports themed drama") + 2 dedicated drama categories (drama and the new slice of life), we can afford one for everything that's not a drama.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-08, 14:29   Link #58
Haak
lol
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Your second paragraph kind of tells me why you're fine with things as-is.

Like I've said the first reason for making a category for those shows is because there's plenty of them but they have no chance once they're inter-mingled with sophisticated dramas in there. There's no argument to be made for them winning because they're by definition non-competing in style. I'm well aware there are plenty of people who (a) don't care for those style of shows (b) very much like a category where "drama" or "semi-drama" slice of life can win easily by having these non-competing series against them. For this reason I'm very much tacking a defensive stance on this. If we can have sports (which is pretty much covered by drama since it's "sports themed drama") + 2 dedicated drama categories (drama and the new slice of life), we can afford one for everything that's not a drama.
I mean you say that but I think it's worth looking at who the winners have been for the past 10 years:
2018 - Laid-Back Camp
2017 - Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou
2016 - Flying Witch
2015 - Shirobako
2014 - Love Live! School Idol Project 2nd Season
2013 - Non Non Biyori
2012 - Tari Tari
2011 - Usagi Drop
2010 - K-On!! Season 2
2009 - K-On

They've actually won more than half the time.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-08, 15:01   Link #59
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
5:4 if we count K-on as single entry. Or you can also think of it as a tie, since if we went by old rules A Place Further Than The Universe would have won, which would actually make it 4:5.

Like I said in private, its still too random once you look at all the entries that go in overall, it becomes a choice of what style you favor more before everything else. I'd say it's better to have clean distinct lists. It's better as a result to be able to see easily "here are all the follow-the-life-of" shows, "here are all the carefree relaxing" shows. Nobody is losing anything this way. Drama and carefree shows are like fire and water after all; not to say you can't like both, but they don't mix well.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-08, 16:25   Link #60
Cloudedmind
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Going back to felix's question, by having an actual category for Best Male VA, means people would actually have to think about it. It might give pause to people who'd normally only think about and thus vote for their favorite female VA's for that season, to stop and think about some of the male VA's they've also had to listen to. Sure they could decide to just not vote in that category anyway. But, by having a visible category for male VA's, more people might actually vote for some, and we wouldn't end up with a male VA winner by default (aka the best of the losers), or not have one show up at all after the nomination phase.
__________________
https://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic219436_5.gif
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.