AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2019-03-02, 03:05   Link #1
Ingenuity
Professional lurker

Why do people hate CGI so much?

Anime is going to have SOME cgi in it. It lessens teh workload of the animators (i'd assume) and when done right it looks pretty awesome.

You peeps aren't doing anyone any favors by being purists. It just slows progress within society.
Old 2019-03-02, 03:49   Link #2
Vegard Aune

"When done right it looks pretty awesome"

...Because that. It's hardly ever "done right". It always sticks out like a sore thumb. Or at least, all the instances people notice stick out like a sore thumb, which colors people's perception of it. Oh sure, I hear that Land of the Lustrous was considered to be pretty remarkable... but the sheer fact that people had to go "No seriously, it looks good! I know it's CGI and all, but just look at it!" gives a pretty clear indicator that, yeah, there's a pretty strong stigma by now of CGI in anime being ugly.
Old 2019-03-02, 14:48   Link #3
Nivek von Beldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenuity View Post
Anime is going to have SOME cgi in it. It lessens teh workload of the animators (i'd assume) and when done right it looks pretty awesome.

You peeps aren't doing anyone any favors by being purists. It just slows progress within society.
Anime artstyle just don't translated that well to 3D CGI unless animated with a massive budget allow to match the 2d style and animation, is make of the ground for 3D(like soe videogames) or make compromise, that is why is hard, for ever land of lustrous we got massive berserk 3d or fisth of azue sky too
Nivek von Beldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-03, 18:03   Link #4
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

Because when done right, it's invisible and when done wrong, it's CGI. Hence it will only ever be noticed when done wrong. Take Ghibli's Mononoke-hime for example. That movie has lots of CGI and most people don't even realize it.

CGI done wrong is comparable to stop-motion, imho, with all it's drawbacks and none of the charm. The problem is probably that CGI done right is way more costly than just not using CGI at all. Meaning to benefit from CGI, it has to be done wrong. At that point I find it preferable to reduce the workload some other way. Shaft proved with the Monogatari series, that this is possible without feeling cheap.