Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-17, 23:10   Link #13761
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Arnold Schwarzenegger admits fathering employee's child

And i thought his separation from his wife was bad.
Old 2011-05-18, 05:36   Link #13762
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Over 70 militants attack Pakistani security post, 17 dead
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...74H14020110518
Old 2011-05-18, 12:10   Link #13763
flying ^

nice to know america-bashing is alive and well (and fashionable too)... especially from those who fully backed Roman Polanski a few years ago

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,1675294.story
Old 2011-05-18, 12:18   Link #13764
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
In an era of helicopter parents eager to exploit every competitive edge for their kids, at least two companies have begun selling tests that claim to help match youngsters with the sports they are genetically programmed to play best. The DNA scans, the first of an expected wave of attempts to use genes to enhance athletic performance, can steer children toward games they are most likely to win — and perhaps get scholarships to play, the companies say. The tests also let children — and adults — tailor workouts to their innate skills, the firms say, as well as spot those prone to life-threatening heart problems, concussions and other injuries.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...y.html?hpid=z3

Gattaca anyone?
Old 2011-05-18, 12:42   Link #13765
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Palestinian Facebook group urges rushing of Israel's borders
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...070748,00.html
and no, were not talking about what happened last Sunday (that resulted in several deaths)
this is whats PLANNED for this Friday.

it wasn't funny the first time, and its not getting funnier with repetition (although, if the minefields have been replaced, it could get very funny).
Old 2011-05-18, 12:46   Link #13766
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
nice to know america-bashing is alive and well (and fashionable too)... especially from those who fully backed Roman Polanski a few years ago

Please don't take it personally. We don't respect anyone justice system. Not even our own, really, except when we compare it to foreigners'. (As we prove pretty much every time some French people's arrest makes it to our media.)
Old 2011-05-18, 13:10   Link #13767
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:

There's nothing in the article about Roman Polanski or stating that the same people were making the critique. Sweeping generalization... from someone that apparently doesn't remember "Freedom Fries" french-bashing.

Fact is... the US and France are blood brothers in democracy (and capitalism) if one knows history. We're just the kind of brothers that fight all the time until someone else pisses us off.
Old 2011-05-18, 13:30   Link #13768
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
There's nothing in the article about Roman Polanski or stating that the same people were making the critique. Sweeping generalization... from someone that apparently doesn't remember "Freedom Fries" french-bashing.

Fact is... the US and France are blood brothers in democracy (and capitalism) if one knows history. We're just the kind of brothers that fight all the time until someone else pisses us off.
Maybe not in the article, but Bernard Henry Levy was a prominent defender of Polanski then, and is one of DSK now...

Don't see what the problem is, though. At least he's consistent.
Old 2011-05-18, 13:33   Link #13769
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Maybe not in the article, but Bernard Henry Levy was a prominent defender of Polanski then, and is one of DSK now...

Don't see what the problem is, though. At least he's consistent.
Is there someone than still take him seriously ?
Old 2011-05-18, 13:37   Link #13770
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Is there someone than still take him seriously ?
... "still"?
Old 2011-05-18, 16:40   Link #13771
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I don't buy the article's claim of a cultural divide. I'm pretty sure rape is still rape (and still illegal) in France.
Old 2011-05-18, 16:41   Link #13772
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Heh, ever noticed that Britain, France and the United States all claim Red White and Blue as their national colours?

Though France tends towards blue while Britain towards Red. The US is in the middle.
Old 2011-05-18, 17:00   Link #13773
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Gattaca anyone?
More like Destiny Plan.
Old 2011-05-18, 17:04   Link #13774
Zakoo

Quote:

Heh, true enough, a lot of people didn't appreciate. I don't particularly care but our judicial system aren't the same, meaning the clash ...

Hmm though, one thing was really true :
Quote:
It helps that much of the French news media, using privacy laws as a fig leaf, buys into this, creating an omerta around politicians and celebrities.

There is a sense in France of one rule for the elite and another for the rest of the population.
If such a thing would have happened in France, there wouldn't even have been a complaint - let alone a trial -. Still, the picture of him being handcuffed was quite hard to see, we must not be used to that I guess.

Hmm, people really have weird taste if they can't admit Starbucks is good, nya it's not the subject so whatever.
Old 2011-05-18, 17:19   Link #13775
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Obviously, if he raped the maid it's completely out of line. But if he merely has an affair I don't really see the issue from a professional perspective. Lots of the rest of us have affairs and we don't get it trotted out all over the headlines, I don't see why it should be any different for politicians, unless they choose to portray themselves as a bastion of morality.

In other news, a new toxic drug is gripping Brazil.

Quote:
On the surface, Oxi is not a particularly unique drug. It is a derivative of cocaine paste, the clay-like foundation product used to make crack and refined powder cocaine. To make Oxi, chunks of freebase cocaine are soaked in gasoline. When gasoline is not available, kerosene is sometimes used. It is then mixed with limestone powder, a product used in construction. Easily attainable household solvents, like cleaning chemicals, are also sometimes added to the toxic mixture. In the final process, the rocks are dried, often simply under the sun, and then sold on the streets for consumption.

According to police, with cocaine paste as the main ingredient, Oxi can be made very easily and cheaply without the need for a background in chemistry - unlike refined powder cocaine, which needs the infrastructure of a laboratory to produce, and is much more time-consuming and complicated.

"The process [to make Oxi] can be done anywhere, by anyone," Marcelo Moscardi, head of the Federal Police office in Rio Branco, Brazil, told Al Jazeera. "It's a very simple process."

The end result is that Oxi is considered almost twice as powerful as crack or cocaine.

"The difference between [Oxi] and crack is that crack usually has about 40 or 50 per cent purity, but based on our studies of what we have confiscated, [Oxi] is being made from freebase cocaine that has 80 to 90 per cent purity," Moscardi said. "That is why everyone says it's stronger and the effects of addiction faster, and consequently it is considered a better drug by the users."

Because Oxi is so easy to make, it is cheap - the average price for one rock being five Brazilian reals, which is the equivalent of about three American dollars. Sometimes, a rock of Oxi can sell for as cheap as one American dollar.
Later on it says that the drug is so lethal, that many users die within a year of beginning to use it.

So it's cheap, easy to make, addictive, powerful and lethal. I hope this drug doesn't spread outside Brazil.
Old 2011-05-18, 17:26   Link #13776
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Wouldn't that remove the demand if it kills the user base? Also wouldn't that give it a bad rap if people die from it more often than other drugs based on cocaine?
Old 2011-05-18, 17:31   Link #13777
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post

Wouldn't that remove the demand if it kills the user base? Also wouldn't that give it a bad rap if people die from it more often than other drugs based on cocaine?
Well it's incredibly cheap. I guess once you start taking it you stop caring. Generally there are a lot of drug users who don't give a damn about the long term consequences anyway. Anyway, apparently one use is enough to get you addicted. How many people do you know who would be willing to use a drug once that is not wildly known? Quite a few I'd imagine (using it once couldn't kill me...).

I'd say the big drug lords would be against it (because it does kill your user base), but the fact that it's so easy to make, means the barrier to entry is low enough to supply any user who wants it.

Anyway, the fact stands that it's spreading from it's core base of poor amazonian communities to the rest of Brazil.
Old 2011-05-18, 17:48   Link #13778
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Well it's incredibly cheap. I guess once you start taking it you stop caring. Generally there are a lot of drug users who don't give a damn about the long term consequences anyway. Anyway, apparently one use is enough to get you addicted. How many people do you know who would be willing to use a drug once that is not wildly known? Quite a few I'd imagine (using it once couldn't kill me...).

I'd say the big drug lords would be against it (because it does kill your user base), but the fact that it's so easy to make, means the barrier to entry is low enough to supply any user who wants it.

Anyway, the fact stands that it's spreading from it's core base of poor amazonian communities to the rest of Brazil.

Natural Selection at work

Those who learn NOT to put everything in their mouth.

vs

those who haven't learn NOT to put everything in their mouth.
Old 2011-05-18, 18:25   Link #13779
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Groomed for suicide: how Taliban recruits children for mass murder
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...hildren-murder
Old 2011-05-18, 18:31   Link #13780
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
...The choice is partly a matter of prestige and standing — a recognition that developing nations are beginning to drive world economic growth, account for a larger portion of its economic output and have developed a strong pool of financial talent.

The 24 member executive board is designed to represent the fund’s 187 members, but voting power on the body is weighted based on each country’s financial contribution to the IMF.
In practice, that means the U.S. and eight European directors hold among them a voting majority; including other developed nations like Japan, Canada and Australia, the total approaches 65 percent.
Developing countries have about 35 percent of the voting power on the board. Larger nations like India and China have their owns seats, while other countries are grouped into constituencies.

if the developing country want the IMF job, why don't they just put more money on the table?

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international