AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-05-18, 20:04   Link #1
Taufiq91

Anime and Fitness

For the past 3 months, i've been hitting the gym every day thanks to Gurren Lagann, Hayate no Gotoku, Gintama and One Piece.

I was going to be fat if i just slack off at home and college everyday and my brother was also on a diet and exercise routine.

But thanks to watching manly men like Kamina, Hayate, Gintoki, Luffy, Sanji, Hijikata and Anime Tenchou (of all people) doing manly things and screaming while showing off their abs and muscles, they finally convinced me to go out and go to the gym. Hell, even female characters like Konata and Harumi Fujiyoshi inspired to go for the gym.

And for the past 3 months, i've been doing crunches, weightlifts, dumbells, treadmills and biking every Monday to Saturday. I also take walks between 30 minutes to 2 hours every day.

I've lost kilos and pounds and unfortunately while i manage to gain them a little (thanks to unhealthy Malaysian food), i still kept going and have gone from 80 kgs(176 pounds) to 75 kgs(165 pounds). However, i still have a belly button and that still pisses me off though.

But what about you guys? Have you been inspired to go to do workouts or fitness-related stuff thanks to certain animes, or have your workouts and fitness improved due to certain animes?

Oh, and what do you think would help many otakus (even NEETs and hikikomoris) to do workouts and exercises?
Old 2011-05-18, 20:44   Link #2
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq91 View Post

Oh, and what do you think would help many otakus (even NEETs and hikikomoris) to do workouts and exercises?
This. (I wonder if anyone has ever bought it to actually exercise with, somehow I doubt it ).
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 20:48   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I was wondering when someone would link to her

To answer the OP... I can't think of any anime that didn't get me to add more than I already do (one of my sons is a personal trainer). But anime did really add to my motivation to ... learn Japanese, study the history, learn the mythologies, etc.
Old 2011-05-18, 21:06   Link #4
Asuras
Dictadere~!

While I certainly haven't been motivated by anime to go exercise (I'm perfectly healthy and already do martial arts and swimming), I would still like to drop this message of congratulations on your weight-loss achievements!

It always makes me happy to hear when people strive to become more healthy; it's one of my favorite things! You'll learn that not only does excersising feel good afterwards, your mind will begin to feel a lot better too!

Anyways... Congrats again!
Old 2011-05-18, 21:40   Link #5
Taufiq91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
This. (I wonder if anyone has ever bought it to actually exercise with, somehow I doubt it ).
Alright, here's the truth:

It doesn't work.

Issho ni Training is basically an animated version of Japanese showa-era morning school exercises.

AKA they're dumbed down exercises which is meant for beginners but doesn't change much if you kept following it.

Here's what should be animated instead:

These two are workout dances and they work better than the workouts in Issho ni Training.

Infact, workout dance videos like those two should be made with Hinako as a followup to Issho ni Training instead of Sleeping with Hinako.
Old 2011-05-18, 21:40   Link #6
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Yup, but it was back when I was a kid... Dragonball Z was a big inspiration to start weight lifting, and I still do it today. I even have a couple of medals from powerlifting competitions. Guess I can thank Goku and Vegeta for that indirectly
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-19, 02:03   Link #7
Taufiq91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
While I certainly haven't been motivated by anime to go exercise (I'm perfectly healthy and already do martial arts and swimming), I would still like to drop this message of congratulations on your weight-loss achievements!

Anyways... Congrats again!
Thanks! I always love replies like these!
Old 2011-05-19, 02:35   Link #8
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
I run every night after work, usually anywhere between three to nine kilometres depending how energetic I'm feeling.

I also try to do several sets of sit ups and push ups before bed or right after I've woken up.

And I just recently got an elliptical exercise machine and I've been spending five or ten minutes a night on it just to help the leg muscles after a run.

As has been said, keep up the good work Taufiq!

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-19, 03:32   Link #9
Kyuu
=^^=

I've run 2 marathons during the past two years, as well as, several other races of shorter lengths. I have a 10-miler next week. Having a gym membership is cool too. Though, I gotta do the weight-lifting much more, else I'd be wasting that membership. At least, there are the yoga classes. So, that at least justifies that.

Also. While I had gone to 9-anime conventions -- I've been skipping out on them for the past year now. I've had fun at those; but it feels that I've moved on... to road racing and the health/fitness conventions.

Oh - and - no. Anime has nothing to do with my fitness lifestyle.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-19, 06:06   Link #10
Kagayaki

Another distance runner here. Haha, if anything anime takes away time I would otherwise be spending asleep or running higher mileage. So not really.

TTGL clips are better than any pump-up music though.
Old 2011-05-19, 10:49   Link #11
IronWarrior
KenshiWarrior

Well, watching Bamboo Blade inspired me to want to practice Kendo (Japanese Way of the Sword) and I been training 2 times per week since last September which is about 9 months now.

I been to two competitions, taken part in one, where I won twice in my matches and draw once, while not allowing anyone to score against me, while scoring 4 times.

I just got back from my first seminar which lasted a full weekend, I got two competitions coming up next month and a lot more seminars. Also planning on going for my first grading this year to get my Ikkyu grading in July or October.

Practice roughly lasts about 2 hours and I noticed since I started, I have gotten a lot stronger in my arms, legs and body, my stamina and endurance and pure willpower is greatly improved, still a long way to go, but it's far better before I started Kendo.

If anyone else has done it before, I'm sure you agree on how physically and mentally Kendo is. If I could, I replace my Gym membership with doing Kendo each day! But 2-3 times per day is the best I can do right now.

I'm just waiting on my arm to heal after an injury, but once it is done, I'm about to start home training and aim to do 200 suburi each day.
Old 2011-05-19, 16:31   Link #12
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Anime hasn't done a thing for my workout routine. I've been an athlete since before I discovered anime, and all of my running/weight training/dieting has been entirely for my own sake, not because I'm trying to emulate anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq91 View Post
However, i still have a belly button and that still pisses me off though.
You're going to live an angry life then, because it's probably not going away.
Old 2011-05-19, 16:44   Link #13
Kyuu
=^^=

Want a fitness motivation?

Spoiler:
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 12:27   Link #14
gsilver

Anime has nothing (ok, a little) to do with it, but the realization that my youth is nearly over and I'm still single did a lot to push me towards working out most days. I do weight exercises 3 days a week, and either hike or bike the rest of the days, with 1 or 2 days off per week.

My weight's at 177, which is fine for my height (I'm 6'2"), but I want a better build than I have now.
Old 2011-05-21, 12:54   Link #15
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
I was at a fnac earlier this week and they had a shelf where they put the top 10 anime dvd sales and this was number two between one piece and Naruto