Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2004-12-16, 23:29   Link #1
LK_LoA

Second Half of 2004 Anime Theme Song Ranking Revealed

Taken from Animenation

"Second Half of 2004 Anime Theme Song Ranking Revealed

The Japanese Nankurunaiso fan site has published a compiled list of the 30 most popular anime theme songs from the second half of 2004, as determined by the compiled results of multiple Japanese fan polls.

The 18th and 29th ranking songs were ties for number of votes.
Spoiler:

06. Pika Pika no Taiyo [Gakuen Alice opening]
07. Shining Days [My Hime opening]
08. Tomei Shelter [Rozen Maiden ending]
09. My Pace Daioh [Genshiken opening]
10. Ignited [Gundam Seed Destiny opening]
11. Kujibiki Unbalance [Kujibiki Unbalance opening]
12. Tori no Shi [Air prelude theme]
13. Shinobu Sanjou! [2x2=Shinobuden opening]
14. Little Wish ~lyrical step~ [Maho Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha ending]
15. Scramble [School Rumble opening]
16. Omoi wo Kanadete [Uta~Kata opening]
17. LILIUM [Elfin Lied opening]
18. Angel Rock 'n' Roll [Galaxy Angel 4th series opening]
18. Shiki no Uta [Samurai Champloo ending]
20. Rashinban [Zipang opening]
21. agony [Kannazuki no Miko ending]
22. HIT IN THE USA [Beck opening]
23. Reason [Gundam Seed Destiny ending]
24. Natsukashii Umi [Kurau -Phantom Memory- opening]
25. Jelly Beans [Galaxy Angel 4th series ending]
26. Tetsujin 28 gou [Tetsujin 28 gou opening]
27. pastel pure [ Maria-sama ga Miteru ~Haru~ opening]
28. DANZEN! Futari wa Precure [Futari wa Precure opening]
29. Biidama [Genshiken ending theme]
29. Houki Kumo [Yakitate!! Japan opening]

Source: Rakuga Kidou"
I have a few questions about this though. Can you like the OP/ED but hate the anime? If you like an anime, does the OP/ED become good? I wonder at the correlation between liking the OP/ED and liking the anime.
LK_LoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-17, 02:41   Link #2
hooliganj
Team Player

I think this is an attempt to rank the songs and not the animes or the OP/ED sequences, but I imagine some bias is inevitable. I'm wondering about the Rozen Maiden opener being #1. That's the worst theme I've ever heard from Ali Project, and pretty high on my list of worst theme songs ever.

I've never liked magazine polls anyway. The result never make any sense.
Spoiler for my top 5, why not?:
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-17, 03:20   Link #3
wao
OK.

T_T That list totaly doesn't make sense ot me! But then again Japanese fans must be having rather different tastes from us. I wonder, what would a poll of non-Japanese fans list? I'd like to see it, really!

Well, also for the heck of it, I guess I'll list my really favourite ones... which magically happen to be 5! How convenient.

Spoiler for Top 5!:

But of course I like a lot more, just that I haven't listed them...
Spoiler for Stuff that didn't make it but are still good:

I'm also wondering how the heck Rozen Maiden's OP was so popular.
Old 2004-12-19, 21:39   Link #4
Wang Hung Lo
Death to False Music

Send a message via AIM to Wang Hung Lo Send a message via MSN to Wang Hung Lo Send a message via Yahoo to Wang Hung Lo
How did Beck's Hit in the USA manage to get all the way up there? That's a top 5.
Wang Hung Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-20, 04:16   Link #5
hooliganj
Team Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganj
Spoiler for my top 5, why not?:
I've found another problem with that list, which is that it isn't completely inclusive. Sure, lots of really dumb songs were left off, but I have to insert Mizu no Madoromi by Origa [Fantastic Children ED] as my new number 2 song, bumping everything else down a notch. How is it that song didn't even rank in the magazine's poll? Smells fishy to me.
Old 2004-12-22, 17:51   Link #6
ShikaShika
無罪

I obviously haven't heard all the songs on the list, but I agree on Shangri-La and Re-Sublimity in the top 5. I also think Agony (Kannaduki no Miko ED) should have been in the top 5. And I don't even like that anime. (Since bias was mentioned.)

Now I like the Rozen Maiden OP pretty much, but 1st position? No, not that good. The Yakitate Japan OP is way too far down the list though. (As well as the ED.) And I definetly definetly agree that the Fantastic Children ED should be obvious on that list.

If I had to make a top 10 it would probably go like this:

01. Shangri-La [Soukyuu no Fafner opening]
02. agony [Kannazuki no Miko ending]
03. Separation [Soukyuu no Fafner ending]
04. Re-sublimity [Kannazuki no Miko opening]
05. Mizu no Madoromi [Fantastic Children ending]
06. Kinjirareta Asobi [Rozen Maiden opening]
07. Unlimited [Samurai 7 opening]
08. Houki Kumo [Yakitate!! Japan opening]
09. Sunday [Yakitate!! Japan ending]
10. Shining Days [My Hime opening]

And if Madlax still counts, I would add Hitomi no Kakera as well, perhaps just beating Kinjirareta to the 6th position.
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-28, 10:51   Link #7
j1m0ne

Kinjireta Asobi? Oh, spare my ears.......and it amazes me how anyone could like the wretched Pika pika no taiyou. Innocent starter was the best tune of the season for me, though I echo the Fantastic Children ED sentiments.

Why was it not on the list? Come on, Rozen Maiden's songs are in the top 10; what does that tell you about the voters' taste in music?
Old 2004-12-28, 10:55   Link #8
ShikaShika
無罪

I guess tastes differ. You like one thing, the Japanese another. Myself, I happen to like Kinjirareta, but I don't really consider my taste to be bad. It's fast and has an original beat. I like it.
Old 2004-12-28, 13:20   Link #9
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Hmm... a total of 2382 votes, the #1 got 310 votes... not really that many votes it seems...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 20:34   Link #10
Mirror_ID

Ahem, not to mention that few of you know Japanese. Comprehension of lyrics is quintessential for things like this. I mean, honestly, do any of you understand the lyrics to "agony" by KOTOKO without assistance of fansub translation? It follows the very typical pattern she has of putting two thoughts together that "sound cool," but in the great span of things, the lyrics are not at all fluid, connecting only when broadly thought about.
On the other hand, you have "Kinjirareta Asobi," or "Forbidden Play." The formation of thoughts in each individual line is an independent thought, but the lines are strung together to denote this idea of "Forbidden Play" Though, if you only have fansub translations, you may miss some of this, given some translation errors. I remember A-Keep misheard "te muchi ni hodokosu aoi doresaaju" (Which, I could also be mishearing the first word of this line), as "ta muke ni". While I personally don't see where the "As a farewell" came from in that line, the idea of my line is training a person like a horse "I'll take this whip in hand and break it like a wild beast" Something along those lines is a bit liberal, but adequate. At any rate, the phrasing of the song is elequent and well-thought. The reference to the crucifix fits well in with the show's title, "Rozen Maiden," which refers to the Rose Maid, Mary Magdelaine. Now, I can't say that I've watched Rozen Maiden or that I've actually read the official lyrics, but I can say that the lyrics make much more sense and are much more fluid than the ones KOTOKO came up with.
As for the Elfen Lied and Fantastic Children complaints, I can't really give you any insight there as I've never heard those songs. All I can say is that both shows are what the fansubbing community deems "pre-licensed," which tends to mean they were aimed for foreign audiences. I'll let you ponder what I'm implying.
Mirror_ID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 21:47   Link #11
onizukaPwns
smiles with big mouth!

opinion based polls like these always sprout disagreements obviously

I think Shiki no Uta from Samurai Champloo is the best song on this list! why is it so.. in the middle of the list?!?! XP
and yes, where's mizu no madoromi?

well... i kidna like those calmer songs that u can relax to rather than those upbeat ones anyways, so to me, this list doesn't make sense

and of course, i dont know jap... so for me, its just the tune that appeals to me rather than the lyrics and the meaning in the song XP

Last edited by onizukaPwns; 2004-12-31 at 21:59.
onizukaPwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-01, 04:53   Link #12
hooliganj
Team Player

Well-written though the words may be, they're sung off beat and too fast, for the most part, and are nearly off key in several parts, which for a pop tune is a major no-no. True my less-than-fluent understanding of Japanese may miss the subtle lyrics, but musically, the song has very little to recommend it.
Old 2005-01-01, 09:18   Link #13
ShikaShika
無罪

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganj
Well-written though the words may be, they're sung off beat and too fast, for the most part, and are nearly off key in several parts, which for a pop tune is a major no-no. True my less-than-fluent understanding of Japanese may miss the subtle lyrics, but musically, the song has very little to recommend it.
Off beat? Too fast? I like it because it's original. Besides, I didn't really think it was neither off beat nor too fast (though faster than normal). Then again I'm no musician, but I know what I like.
Old 2005-01-01, 20:44   Link #14
Kimblee

I like Bleach's opening...
<_<
>_>
見上げた夜空の星達の光!
Kimblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-02, 07:42   Link #15
Rei_Ikari
More....Morrreee....weeee

lol....agreed....the vote really doesn't make any sense........i'm fine with most of the songs but the positioning seems messed up......especially Neko-mimi.....when i saw it in the top 5 i was like...WTH!!!! i can hardly count 4 complete sentence in that song and it beat Shangri-la...or Ignited for that matter......
Rei_Ikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-02, 14:23   Link #16
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I like Rozen Maiden, but I hate the music.. I can't believe the OP managed to get number one.. Oh well. My favorite is probably Hit in the USA by Beat Crusaders.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote