AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2012-05-18, 21:47   Link #8321
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Not this again...
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 21:49   Link #8322
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
Even if I assume that you're right, the fact that someone would use that sort of method as a deterrent marks them as being malicious to me.

I would think the fear of getting kicked out would be enough of a deterrent for failure, but the fact is, he humiliated her even while he was intending to get rid of her.
I'll repeat. The action by itself does not make it malicious. If you burn down a village of people for the greater good like Kiritsugu in Fate/Zero, it's not malicious. The motivation is what determines it.

It would make no difference if he killed her instead. Without knowing his motivation, we can't judge whether it was malicious or not.

As a side note, malicious is not a synonym for evil or abhorrent, which are better suited for describing one's emotional reactions toward something.
Old 2012-05-18, 21:52   Link #8323
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Malicious...not malicious...that discussion will get yall nowhere fast...

Can't we all just agree that Genma acted like an asshole to Yukino (regardless of his motives and intentions) and move on?
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 21:54   Link #8324
sergel02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Malicious...not malicious...that discussion will get yall nowhere fast...

Can't we all just agree that Genma acted like an asshole to Yukino (regardless of his motives and intentions) and move on?

This please yes. Both of you have separate ideologies for this.
sergel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 22:03   Link #8325
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
I'll repeat. The action by itself does not make it malicious. If you burn down a village of people for the greater good like Kiritsugu in Fate/Zero, it's not malicious. The motivation is what determines it.

It would make no difference if he killed her instead. Without knowing his motivation, we can't judge whether it was malicious or not.

As a side note, malicious is not a synonym for evil or abhorrent, which are better suited for describing one's emotional reactions toward something.
That's my point. Whatever the reason, he intended to humiliate her knowing that it would hurt her, and his motivation was to use that pain for his own reasons, whether as a deterrent as you suggest, or because he wanted to, as I think.

It's not like what Kiritsugu does, where his motivation is the greater good, and the village is collateral damage. Yukino's pain was not collateral damage to Gemma. He wanted to hurt her, not that he didn't care if he hurt her, because al his actions were geared that way from the start.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 22:05   Link #8326
immblueversion

On a totally different note, they just mentioned "Zentopia" in the latest episode of the anime, further solidifying the idea that it's going to be the aforementioned "Zentopia Incident".

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 22:14   Link #8327
sergel02

Quote:
Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
On a totally different note, they just mentioned "Zentopia" in the latest episode of the anime, further solidifying the idea that it's going to be the aforementioned "Zentopia Incident".
Spoiler:
Old 2012-05-18, 22:41   Link #8328
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPanda View Post
I'm kinda thinking of it different but i agree that there may not have been ill will. From what he said he did that not because she lost but because she bet her life and lost. For some odd reason i was thinking he was shaming her as much as possible because she treated her own life so lightly... but that's just a shot in the dark in hopes the tengu isnt really a bad guy.
You're forgetting the "and was pitied by the enemy" part. In other words, that the enemy didn't kill her as per the bet.

He's not pissed she bet her life, he's pissed that under the circumstances, she lost and didn't die because of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
I haven't watched the latest episode yet, but Zentopia was mentioned back in episode 128, when Laki was reading the report on the investigation of Michelle. The Zentopia area is where Michelle's family lived before some unspecified incident killed off most or all of them.

So the "Zentopia Incident" could be that, or it could be the events the anime is building towards.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 22:45   Link #8329
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
That's my point. Whatever the reason, he intended to humiliate her knowing that it would hurt her, and his motivation was to use that pain for his own reasons, whether as a deterrent as you suggest, or because he wanted to, as I think.

It's not like what Kiritsugu does, where his motivation is the greater good, and the village is collateral damage. Yukino's pain was not collateral damage to Gemma. He wanted to hurt her, not that he didn't care if he hurt her, because al his actions were geared that way from the start.
But the humiliation was not the end in itself. That was my point.

I'm not going any further than that. I don't what to argue about whether his actions were morally acceptable or not since that's not what we were debating about in the first place.
Old 2012-05-18, 23:00   Link #8330
sergel02

So, how about that Minerva?
Old 2012-05-18, 23:05   Link #8331
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to Frailty
does anyone else think that Natsu became one of those new gen. dragon slayers since he was infused with Laxus' lightning dragon slayer magic?

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 23:06   Link #8332
Edge Meltdown
AxS HxM TxA RxS JxK HxM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergel02 View Post
So, how about that Minerva?
she knew about yukino's excommunication most likely except for the humiliation part, but if she does, i guess it's safe to say that she deserves the same treatment that yukino experienced.

@Frailty not sure what to say since I or we know next to nothing about the NGDS but sometimes i thought what if natsu infuses himself with more element that he can activate DF at will or maybe an achieve an evolution or something... thinking too much of this is going to give me headache :P oh well don't mind me... i was just mumbling. /heh
Edge Meltdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 23:10   Link #8333
Log
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
does anyone else think that Natsu became one of those new gen. dragon slayers since he was infused with Laxus' lightning dragon slayer magic?
No. There's nothing to indicate that eating lightning slayer magic would produce the same effect as infusing a lacrima.

Rather then that I feel that Natsu is more correctly, currently a bi element dragon slayer. He can use two elements of dragon slayer magic to augment himself instead of just sticking to one. I wonder if that makes him a 4th gen dragon slayer.
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 23:20   Link #8334
MechR

Kiritsugu didn't even burn that village. You're getting your events mixed up
MechR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 23:35   Link #8335
Nvis
Where are the good animes

This manga got some hawt girls, with Minerva being the latest addition.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 23:38   Link #8336
Qilin
Romanticist

I'm terribly sorry for having a discussion on the manga characters in the FT manga thread.

It won't happen again. I promise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechR View Post
Kiritsugu didn't even burn that village. You're getting your events mixed up
It was a hypothetical that was meant to express that you can't judge a person solely by his/her actions.
Old 2012-05-18, 23:53   Link #8337
Albafica
Pisces no saint

Cool chapter, Natsu saves his face and Sabertooth master too in a way, even I think he would beat Natsu. By the way, his technique is a bit cheated! Lighting/Iron/Fire! (I'm not sure about the french translation who translate "iron" as "iron the metal".... Is it the case? He used 3 elements? )
Old 2012-05-19, 00:09   Link #8338
Log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albafica View Post
Cool chapter, Natsu saves his face and Sabertooth master too in a way, even I think he would beat Natsu. By the way, his technique is a bit cheated! Lighting/Iron/Fire! (I'm not sure about the french translation who translate "iron" as "iron the metal".... Is it the case? He used 3 elements? )
No he doesn't. He only uses lightning + fire. Natsu never had any indication of absorbing gajeel's element.
Old 2012-05-19, 00:17   Link #8339
Qilin
Romanticist

Huh. Wow.

I assumed the lightning magic Natsu gained from Laxus in the Grimoire Heart arc was a temporary power-up just like all the others before it. At the very least, it looks like his power has improved since then.

I admit it was pretty cool to see him make use of lightning magic now.
Old 2012-05-19, 00:24   Link #8340
Log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
Huh. Wow.

I assumed the lightning magic Natsu gained from Laxus in the Grimoire Heart arc was a temporary power-up just like all the others before it. At the very least, it looks like his power has improved since then.

I admit it was pretty cool to see him make use of lightning magic now.
I know right. I was so annoyed with the whole lightning fire asspull partially because I was sure that Natsu would only have a tempory power up like usual. Then I was pleasently surprised when he demostrated this power again. Still is a asspull though but at least he keeps it unlike dragon force or god fire.

Ten bucks it's going to lightning fire dragon force next. And he actually keeps dragon force.

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen