AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2012-08-23, 12:01   Link #81
HiddenMessage
Tofu Driver

Itachi was never seen with his MS pattern while using Tsukiyomi until the second time Sasuke was thinking about the night of the Uchiha Massacre during the Valley of the End fight with Naruto. Not showing Tobi's MS pattern even though he uses MS techniques is not the first time this happened.

I would love to see Kakashi rip the MS out of Tobi and combine it with his own after this fight.
HiddenMessage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-23, 12:14   Link #82
beyondsaving

Sticking with my original theory

I am sticking with my original theory of Tobi being time/space travelling Sasuke. The eye he just used is actually the same eye as Kakashi's, just taken from him later on in the timeline. This also explains the discrepancies in the hair length. It all makes sense if you think about it. Who else hates the Uchiha clan AND Konoha more?

Obito did not have hate in his heart. He died giving his eye to his best friend. To think he could be twisted so much... I don't think so. Gotta.be.time.travelling.Sasuke.
Old 2012-08-23, 12:23   Link #83
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
It can't be EMS, however. EMS combines the pattern of the user's sharingan with the pattern of the embedded sharingan.
I don't remember clearly, but wasn't it also stated that to get EMS you need to take a MS from a close family member (brother, sister, mother, father). Otherwise it wouldn't work.
Old 2012-08-23, 12:30   Link #84
Discerptor
ANIUE!111

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
All I see are the sound effects coming out of the eye that starts Izanagi. And when an eye makes a sound in Naruto, something is going down. The same eye makes a sound on page 3, then a more dramatic sound on page 4. Maybe you are correct and Page 4 was supposed to be the specific start of the technique, but Kishimoto can easily retcon the situation so page 3 is the official start.
There are no sound effects in the panel on page 3, just exclamation marks. The sound effect is on the frame on page 4 that I referenced. And yes, Kishi could retcon anything with an asspull, but until then the frame on page 3 is clearly an example of the regular Sharingan being enough to have something pass through Tobi.

EDIT: I thought I'd clarify something because why not: I fully believe that Tobi is using the exact same Mangekyou Sharingan jutsu Kakashi normally uses in this chapter. It seems to me, based on what's been shown in the manga, that Obito's eyes have a special ability they can use without the Mangekyou Sharingan and another related one that requires it.

Normal Sharingan: The ability to transfer one's own body or things directly touching it between the physical world and the other dimension. This is what Tobi has been using every time we've seen him up until this battle.

Mangekyou Sharingan ("Kamui"): The ability to transfer things between the physical world and the other dimension without physically touching them, even from a distance. This is what Kakashi has been using since after the time skip. Tobi has already used Kamui during this fight to fire the giant shurikens and stakes (since he clearly wasn't holding those things in his hands before they were transferred). Tobi is indeed showing Kakashi the "real power of Kamui" by using it this way, since Kakashi has only managed to use Kamui to send things to the other dimension, not bring them back.

Last edited by Discerptor; 2012-08-23 at 12:56.
Discerptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-23, 12:48   Link #85
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

The cliffhanger was good, but waiting for it is going to be an extreme pain in the ass.
Old 2012-08-23, 13:05   Link #86
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
but until then the frame on page 3 is clearly an example of the regular Sharingan being enough to have something pass through Tobi.
it could just as easily be the end of the kamui technique

edit: or as someone stated, it could just be a mistake in the writing/artwork. we did see the raikage grow back an arm for 1 chapter after all

Quote:
Tobi has already used Kamui during this fight to fire the giant shurikens and stakes (since he clearly wasn't holding those things in his hands before they were transferred). Tobi is indeed showing Kakashi the "real power of Kamui" by using it this way, since Kakashi has only managed to use Kamui to send things to the other dimension, not bring them back.
by your logic he wasn't using kamui to fire the giant shuriken because we didn't 'see' his MS at that time and on the top of p7 he has 'normal sharingan'

see how silly it gets when you break it down that way? i think you guys are thinking about this too much. along that logic i could state that anytime a MS jutsu was used by anyone without clearly seeing it then it was possible they just used their 'normal sharingan' to perform a MS technique

that reasoning unnecessarily complicates things (which kishi has done from time to time like with izanagi and izanami so who knows...) but if you are seeking a reason for tobi not being blind then look no further than his senju dna
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-23, 13:26   Link #87
Discerptor
ANIUE!111

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
it could just as easily be the end of the kamui technique
Izanagi wouldn't make the paper pass through him. It would blow up and damage him but he'd be fine afterwards.

Quote:
edit: or as someone stated, it could just be a mistake in the writing/artwork. we did see the raikage grow back an arm for 1 chapter after all
This is an explanation from outside the presented material that there is no reason to assume is the case until Kishi retcons.

Quote:
by your logic he wasn't using kamui to fire the giant shuriken because we didn't 'see' his MS at that time and on the top of p7 he has 'normal sharingan'
My logic is based on the fact that we were explicitly shown Tobi passing through an object when using the regular Sharingan (NOT the same as simply not being shown the Mangekyou - absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, etc.) and that there is a clear difference between his normally-used jutsu and Kakashi's in terms of mechanics.

Quote:
see how silly it gets when you break it down that way? i think you guys are thinking about this too much. along that logic i could state that anytime a MS jutsu was used by anyone without clearly seeing it then it was possible they just used their 'normal sharingan' to perform a MS technique
Except I didn't. You did to pretend I was arguing from a place I wasn't. There's a huge difference between simply not clearly seeing something and very clearly seeing that the opposite is the case in a close-up frame.

Quote:
that reasoning unnecessarily complicates things (which kishi has done from time to time like with izanagi and izanami so who knows...) but if you are seeking a reason for tobi not being blind then look no further than his senju dna
It's not at all farfetched or extraordinarily complicated when you consider that there was a nearly identical duality of special Sharingan jutsu with Shisui's eyes. There was the weaksauce version that Danzou used, which required actively channeling and being nearby the victim, and there was the awesome version where you just had to give the command once and not worry about it ever again. I'm not looking for a reason for Tobi to not be blind; I'm perfectly fine waiting for Kishi to give an explanation, if one is even needed (Senju DNA does wonders).
Old 2012-08-23, 15:15   Link #88
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
I'm just wondering: Does Tobi has access to two different dimensions?
Or where does he get the stuff he throws (Shuriken, and those Bijuu-taming bars) from? If they are in the same dimension, he always vanishes to, then shouldn't he hurt himself, if he suddenly runs into a Shuriken, he stored there for later use?
Lol indeed... Kishi dosen't do in satire but sometimes it just come at you without telling. ^^

Last edited by JOJOS'STAR; 2012-08-23 at 15:27.
JOJOS'STAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-23, 15:18   Link #89
janipani

^ that's no two different dimensions, that's "pull-from-ass no jutsu" also know as "summoning", a thing we have seen millions of times in Naruto.

-Best anime was made in 80s-
janipani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-23, 15:34   Link #90
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
Izanagi wouldn't make the paper pass through him. It would blow up and damage him but he'd be fine afterwards.
right. i didnt say he was using izanagi at that time. i said he stopped using kamui

Quote:
This is an explanation from outside the presented material that there is no reason to assume is the case until Kishi retcons.
i agree. just bringing up that it could happen

Quote:
My logic is based on the fact that we were explicitly shown Tobi passing through an object when using the regular Sharingan (NOT the same as simply not being shown the Mangekyou - absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, etc.) and that there is a clear difference between his normally-used jutsu and Kakashi's in terms of mechanics.
the paper bombs were continuous correct? and he ended kamui correct? therefore there must have been a time when some of the paper bombs were severed and didnt completely pass through him. hence that panel on p3 you are citing

Quote:
Except I didn't. You did to pretend I was arguing from a place I wasn't. There's a huge difference between simply not clearly seeing something and very clearly seeing that the opposite is the case in a close-up frame.
except you dont acknowledge that he ended kamui before he used izanagi. why cant that image be that moment? keeping in mind that kishi was forced to not show his MS eye we are only disputing a fraction of a second worth of time here. like i said earlier in this post, it may have been impossible for tobi to stop kamui while keeping all the explosive tags whole since they were continuously passing through him

Quote:
It's not at all farfetched or extraordinarily complicated when you consider that there was a nearly identical duality of special Sharingan jutsu with Shisui's eyes. There was the weaksauce version that Danzou used, which required actively channeling and being nearby the victim, and there was the awesome version where you just had to give the command once and not worry about it ever again.
you could be right about that but it does seem more complicated to me and needlessly at that.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-23, 15:51   Link #91
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Guys guys guys! What are you guys even arguing about!

Itachi used Tsukiyomi on Kakashi before his Mangekyou was revealed, several chapters afterwards.

Kishi showing us a normal sharingan because he isn't ready to reveal the MS yet isn't anything new.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-23, 16:14   Link #92
Ero-Senn1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Guys guys guys! What are you guys even arguing about!

Itachi used Tsukiyomi on Kakashi before his Mangekyou was revealed, several chapters afterwards.

Kishi showing us a normal sharingan because he isn't ready to reveal the MS yet isn't anything new.
That's exactly one example of how Kishi always made a big deal of someone turning on his MS eyes. Itachi's eyes were not shown in the manga, one of the biggest mistakes of the anime was that it showed a normal sharingan eye instead, at that time i didn't even notice that but there were some discussions about it on the forums here. Even recently before Madara uses his jutsu it is shown how he turns on his EMS and then his rinnegan. But it's true that this was not always consistent: for example Danzou could cast his genjutsu on the samurai leader even without removing the bandages, while Kakashi always removes his mask when using his sharingan, also it was shown how Tobi removes the part of the mask that covered the other eye which in retrospective made it clear that he began using izanagi just then. Just like in case of Danzou, he removed those large metal things from his arms before using izanagi. I guess it's simply story driven, so for example Tobi removed the mask part because it was a nice hint for the readers that he wants to use the other eye. Then in case of Tobi showing the MS pattern was forbidden by the story, even if it's a plot hole. But it's fun to discuss about these little details Also i think that given the magical powers of 1st hokage's cells we can safely assume that it can magically upgrade the sharingan eyes, especially if Tobi himself tells to Konan that 1st Hokage's DNA + Uchiha DNA results in the Sage of 6 paths.
Ero-Senn1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-23, 16:20   Link #93
Discerptor
ANIUE!111

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
right. i didnt say he was using izanagi at that time. i said he stopped using kamui

the paper bombs were continuous correct? and he ended kamui correct? therefore there must have been a time when some of the paper bombs were severed and didnt completely pass through him. hence that panel on p3 you are citing

except you dont acknowledge that he ended kamui before he used izanagi. why cant that image be that moment? keeping in mind that kishi was forced to not show his MS eye we are only disputing a fraction of a second worth of time here. like i said earlier in this post, it may have been impossible for tobi to stop kamui while keeping all the explosive tags whole since they were continuously passing through him
The issue with this is that he clearly didn't start using Izanagi until at least the panel on page 4 where he's tearing off the part of the mask covering his left eye. In between those two panels, enough time passes for Konan to verbally explain to Tobi that there are enough paper tags for 10 minutes of explosions. In those several seconds, we would have had paper tags blowing Tobi up.

Quote:
you could be right about that but it does seem more complicated to me and needlessly at that.
Even if it does turn out that Tobi has been using the Mangekyou Sharingan this whole time, I think there's enough evidence to conclude that the jutsu we normally see him use is different from what we've seen Kakashi use (and what he's using now with the stakes). If it were the same, then he wouldn't have needed to get close enough to grab Fu and Torune to suck them into the other dimension at all, since Kakashi has now shown us with Naruto's shadow clone that you can indeed use Kamui to suck entire people into the other dimension from a distance away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero-Senn1n View Post
But it's true that this was not always consistent: for example Danzou could cast his genjutsu on the samurai leader even without removing the bandages, while Kakashi always removes his mask when using his sharingan, also it was shown how Tobi removes the part of the mask that covered the other eye which in retrospective made it clear that he began using izanagi just then. Just like in case of Danzou, he removed those large metal things from his arms before using izanagi.
In all fairness, Danzou did undo the bandage on the eye at the end of his fight with Sasuke, and Tobi explained that Danzou was probably still deciding whether to use it for mind control or Izanagi. It could just be that certain Sharingan jutsus require that the eye be uncovered while others don't, with Izanagi and Kamui being among the ones that do.

Of course, all said and done, I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if Kishi just goofed with that panel.

Last edited by Discerptor; 2012-08-23 at 16:33.
Old 2012-08-23, 17:35   Link #94
Sasheks

Kishi has a nice way of unmasking his characters.
Spoiler for :

Spoiler for Tobi is Haku!:

Anyone expecting Kakashi's face to be revealed in a similar fashion?
Old 2012-08-23, 17:52   Link #95
Black0raz0r
Red vs Blue

Send a message via MSN to Black0raz0r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasheks View Post
Kishi has a nice way of unmasking his characters.
Spoiler for :

Spoiler for Tobi is Haku!:

Anyone expecting Kakashi's face to be revealed in a similar fashion?
I knew it xD
Haku never died xD
He just got a new Mask and Hairstyle xD

NO it is.....
Spoiler for Tobi...:
Old 2012-08-23, 18:11   Link #96
Ero-Senn1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black0raz0r View Post
NO it is.....
Spoiler for Tobi...:
People say that he was defeated by Bruce Lee in the valley of the end. But what is the truth?
Ero-Senn1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-23, 18:38   Link #97
Kowai

Locking in my final answer for who is the masked man:
Not obito, but an older blood relative of his, an asspull character kishi has not introduced.
Old 2012-08-23, 18:51   Link #98
b1gdawg

I'm starting to believe that Tobi is Tobi -_- he's no1 important or special, just some uchiha named Tobi. Probably Madara's student.
b1gdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-23, 23:15   Link #99
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
What if Tobi literally has very little in the way of defining facial features? For all I know, he could be wearing the mask because he practically has no face, and Naruto wants to break that wall of shame...

Poor Tobi just wanted to be left in the shadows
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-24, 02:11   Link #100
darry

no he has a face
darry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly spoiler discussion