AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 08
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 56 38.62%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 52 35.86%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 24 16.55%
7 out of 10: Good... 9 6.21%
6 out of 10: Average... 1 0.69%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 1 0.69%
4 out of 10: Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.38%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-08-29, 20:35   Link #421
Forever
Revealing the truth

So much effort and only 1000 Col? 4 million Col really seems to be a lot here.

I almost wonder how asuna get so much?

[mod edit: edited out unfunny joke...]

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-08-29 at 20:59.
Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-29, 20:39   Link #422
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
There is a fair bit of uncertainty as to what happens when you die though. But it's certainly not the same thing as origin myths. There's also a very large amount of uncertainty about what happens when they clear the 100th floor. Assuming they have enough Clearers to make it there.
Yeah, all the Clearers have to go on is Kayaba's word.

Quote:
Prior to the Liz episode Kirito never once talked about escaping. I think that's an important fact to consider. There are certainly Clearers who are fighting their hardest to escape (Asuna, for one)... but there are likely also MMO addicts who are at least moderately happy with SAO.

That doesn't necessarily mean Kirito's life prior to being captured in SAO was terrible, or that he is a wreck who was only saved by escaping / being held hostage in SAO... but it means there are likely some people for whom it isn't hell.
Well if the conversation between Kirito and Asuna about the game's nature in episode 5 is anything to go by, he likes SAO, but not necessary the situation.

Also for others who would like to stay in the game, there's also the degenerates like Laughing Coffin who can murder as they please in SAO. They certainly wouldn't want it to end.

Quote:
I know I keep bringing this up... but our character's who are trapped inside the world are growing familiar with it, and finding things to enjoy inside the world. I think they're finding the 'whole lot of positives' you seem to be missing.
Perhaps, but a lot of the previous episodes aside from 4 have either focused on themes like death, loneliness (Liz's episode) depression and murder. This weeks airing was one of few relatively light ones especially since it dealt with cooking. Which happens to be easy as hell once you dump enough skills points into it.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-29, 20:54   Link #423
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post

Wasn't it 100,000 Col?

Assuming she actually runs the boss strategy meetings for each floor, and has been doing it consistently, it's very possible she gets a larger cut of the boss drop rewards. Regardless she's guaranteed a spot at every boss fight which probably results in some pretty nice rewards.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-29, 21:02   Link #424
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:

I think it's not just a matter of how you make money, but how you spend it. Kirito did say that he did figure that he had 4 Mega-Col saved up, but I'm not sure if he cares all that much about where he lives. Perhaps he spends his money on other things.
Old 2012-08-29, 21:06   Link #425
Clarste
Human

You usually get most of your income from selling stuff rather than cash drops anyway. Lizard tails and whatnot.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-29, 21:09   Link #426
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Definitely a good trait for a future housewife...

Kirito, you lucky guy!!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-29, 21:12   Link #427
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdietz03 View Post
Don't bring a knife to a swordfight?
Well no problem then, Kirito was unarmed .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
Prior to the Liz episode Kirito never once talked about escaping. I think that's an important fact to consider. There are certainly Clearers who are fighting their hardest to escape (Asuna, for one)... but there are likely also MMO addicts who are at least moderately happy with SAO.
To be fair he did talk with Silica about meeting her in the outside world. In order to accomplish that you'd assume they'd have to escape the game first .

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I think it's not just a matter of how you make money, but how you spend it. Kirito did say that he did figure that he had 4 Mega-Col saved up, but I'm not sure if he cares all that much about where he lives. Perhaps he spends his money on other things.
Yeah, think Kirito's spending habits probably play a lot into it. Has to keep a lot of inventory on his person for situations where he has to work with his clients. If he can do it alone then fine, but if they have to go with he may need to equip them (like he did with Silica). If he doesn't take the items back that's a solid financial loss there. Toss in chopping test swords in half and there goes the cash .
Old 2012-08-29, 23:02   Link #428
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Judging by the stuff he was carrying when he met Silica, I'd say Kirito follows the same modus operandi as any experienced Elder Scrolls player: Grab everything that isn't nailed down, loot every chest, strip the bodies of your foes of everything useful/sellable (and believe me, with enough creativity, anything can be useful/sellable) and toss them into the nearest body of water.

Well, except the last bit.

Other thing to note - refer to Asuna's comment, where she tells him that she figures his place doesn't have any cookware. This suggests that instead of a big fancy house (well, by Japanese standards ), Kirito spends his time in a smaller place, maybe a one-room apartment, or a floor of an NPC house/shop or something:

Spoiler for Relevant Information Revealed in Aria Sidestory (Light Novel version):

It looks like Kirito prefers to stay in simple places and to judiciously spend his Coll, with the result that while he's got as much cash as Asuna, it isn't so apparent.

Also, apart from getting a higher percentage of the loot etc;

Spoiler for More Light Novel Information regards Guilds:

On further reflection, one thing that I'm a little disappointed with about this episode is that it left out a line where Kirito sees Kuradeel's sword, thinks to himself that the more decorative a sword is, the lower its endurance, and decides then and there to go for the sword. It would have made a nice connection with the last episode, since a sword also got broken then. Ah, well, it's not really missing that much.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-29, 23:15   Link #429
Iron Maw
Banned

What amused me is how flippant Asuna was about the whole 4m Col. This is pretty much the entirety of Kirito's life-savings who we can see for most part is a practical guy. He probably doesn't spent more than he needs and fights (and keeps all drops and treasure to himself) much more than Asuna in general yet it's implied that he makes a lot less in comparison.

If it really is the guild benefits at work maybe he such reconsider the whole "solo" gig, or like Flare Knight said, stop breaking the blacksmith/shopkeepers weapons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
On further reflection, one thing that I'm a little disappointed with about this episode is that it left out a line where Kirito sees Kuradeel's sword, thinks to himself that the more decorative a sword is, the lower its endurance, and decides then and there to go for the sword. It would have made a nice connection with the last episode, since a sword also got broken then. Ah, well, it's not really missing that much.
Wat.

Isn't this normal the opposite in RPGs? We're talking about the same genre consider "Gold" to be excellent smithing material compare to steel.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2012-08-29 at 23:26.
Old 2012-08-29, 23:18   Link #430
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
What amused me is how flippant Asuna was about the whole 4m Col.
Spoiler for The 4m Col:
Old 2012-08-29, 23:19   Link #431
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I imagine as front-liners, Asuna and Kirito see a LOT of money that they're just used to it. Kirito in particular doesn't even have to share his money, so he's probably got a pretty hefty surplus...
Old 2012-08-29, 23:23   Link #432
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Spoiler for The 4m Col:
Suddenly it all makes sense.... :O
Old 2012-08-29, 23:27   Link #433
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Wat.

Isn't this normal the opposite in RPGs? We're talking about the same genre consider "Gold" to be excellent simthing material compare to steel.
I have a feeling Kayaba had that in mind for his trolling. Notice how Elucidator is such a good weapon, but it's got a clean, simple design.

The sword is a weapon, an extension of yourself. It is not a decoration.

Now I'm having flashbacks to Naked Snake schooling Young Ocelot on how it's pointless to have engraved guns, interposed with kicking his ass. And this after geeking out over that M1911A1.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-29, 23:28   Link #434
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
I imagine as front-liners, Asuna and Kirito see a LOT of money that they're just used to it. Kirito in particular doesn't even have to share his money, so he's probably got a pretty hefty surplus...

Being a female ( a pretty one) Asuna has one of many basic characteristics of the women.... love of cute stuffs... they will spend so much for anything that will caught their eyes with...

Speaking of Kirito... hmmm.. well, he aims to finish the game... Money is for weapons and food... that's probably what only runs in he's mind... besides...

" I don't need a house... coz Asuna has already... hehehe"
Old 2012-08-29, 23:29   Link #435
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Kirito HAS a house, though, he's said as much in episode 4.
Old 2012-08-29, 23:31   Link #436
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Kirito HAS a house, though, he's said as much in episode 4.
Sorry... just a plain house with a bed is good...
Old 2012-08-29, 23:55   Link #437
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Sorry... just a plain house with a bed is good...
if you are single that is all we really need. As long as the bed is big enough.
Old 2012-08-29, 23:58   Link #438
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Yeah! and visit Asuna to cook my dinner!!!!
Old 2012-08-30, 00:04   Link #439
Unknown Soldier
:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
If you're smart, even if you're single, the bed is still big enough for two.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-30, 00:07   Link #440
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
If you're smart, even if you're single, the bed is still big enough for two.
I got a bad feeling where this is going...

.. a big bed for me alone.. no sleep overs except cute girls.

Tags
end card, weekly spoiler discussion