Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-03-31, 10:03   Link #1141
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friera View Post
Hi,

Im currently in Tokyo, and we kinda run out of things we "have to" do, so I was hoping we could get some tips from you guys?
We have already done:
- Akihabara
- Nakano Broadway
- Harajuku
- Shinjuku
- Shibuya (generall walking around)
- Artnia (FF cafe)
- Studio Ghibli Museum
- Ni-Chome
- Ikubukuro (Otome Road)
- Okinawa (beaches, diving, hiking etc)

We might check out Hakone if the weather stays nice.
If you have any special gems or something hidden in the already mentioned places, please share. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!
In Tokyo of interest are also Asakusa (Kaminari gate), Kanda Shrine (west of Akihabara), Hie shrine in Akasaka, Ueno Park and its historical museum (if you know the basics about the country's history) or Tokyo-Edo museum in Ryogoku (if you have no clue about Japanese history)... oh! if you don't have tatoos consider also Oedo Onsen Monogatari in Odaiba.

Close by (1-2 hours by train) are:
  • Kamakura/Enoshima has several shrines and temple
  • Nikko with the tombs of Tokugawa

Also consider Matsumoto Castle near Nagano (3-4 hours travel), but it would be ridiculous to have visited Japan, but not a single castle.

An alternative is Gifu castle near Nagoya... it might be far, but with the Shinkansen (not included in the JR Pass) you can reach it within a 2-3 hours.
Old 2013-03-31, 14:21   Link #1142
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

On the other note, I could like spend entire two weeks in Akihabara.
In fact. I did.

But back then there were heck of a lot more smaller hole-in-the-wall stores selling pretty awesome stuff, tons of small antique game stores and such.
Oh, and that huge ABC building was still around. Heck I could spend two days just roaming through that building and having fun with shooting range and games.
I haven't been back to Japan in the recent years, but I think Akiba is a lot more consolidated now, it doesn't seem as fun as it used to be. I could be wrong.

Another place in Tokyo that I could spend time forever is Jinbouchou. The biggest book-city in the world.
Give me a town full of used bookstores, and you'll have to drag me out of there.
Old 2013-03-31, 14:48   Link #1143
Knightrunner

I'm thinking about doing research in Japan for the summer in two years, and I'm wondering what are the best universities in science with professors that speak English?

I'm also wondering if it safe to go there because of the radioactivity too?
Old 2013-03-31, 19:25   Link #1144
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

LOL you're like twenty times more likely to be shot dead in California than dying from radioactive contamination in Japan.

And I'm being extremely generous. The ratio is likely to be in 3~4 digits to 1.
Old 2013-03-31, 21:13   Link #1145
Friera

Send a message via MSN to Friera
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeNoJaku View Post
In Tokyo of interest are also Asakusa (Kaminari gate), Kanda Shrine (west of Akihabara), Hie shrine in Akasaka, Ueno Park and its historical museum (if you know the basics about the country's history) or Tokyo-Edo museum in Ryogoku (if you have no clue about Japanese history)... oh! if you don't have tatoos consider also Oedo Onsen Monogatari in Odaiba.

We spent hours in Akihabara XD

Anyway, we have plans to go to Oedo Onsen Monogatari. However, I do have a very feminine half-sleeve on my upper arm, so we are not sure if its worth the trip if we can't get in anyway. Very frustrating about their tattoo regulations...
Old 2013-03-31, 21:58   Link #1146
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
LOL you're like twenty times more likely to be shot dead in California than dying from radioactive contamination in Japan.

And I'm being extremely generous. The ratio is likely to be in 3~4 digits to 1.
I'm more worried about the long term effects than instant death from radioactive isotopes.
Old 2013-03-31, 22:01   Link #1147
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
I'm more worried about the long term effects than instant death from radioactive isotopes.
Meh, look up a map of the country and where Fukushima is. I'd be more worried about actually finding a program that is appropriate.
Old 2013-03-31, 22:13   Link #1148
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Meh, look up a map of the country and where Fukushima is. I'd be more worried about actually finding a program that is appropriate.
It's part of the reason why I'm asking around for any popular well trusted universities with professors that can speak English. Thanks, for the concern. I plan to travel to Japan once I establish a connection with one of the researchers there.
Old 2013-04-01, 02:03   Link #1149
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
I'm thinking about doing research in Japan for the summer in two years, and I'm wondering what are the best universities in science with professors that speak English?

I'm also wondering if it safe to go there because of the radioactivity too?
I hear Tohoku uni has an English language program last I checked. Very limited places though ~ 50 IIRC...

If you want to study there, it's best to do it in Japanese and try to enter via JET
Old 2013-04-01, 18:41   Link #1150
Kirarakim

Quote:
Oh you reminded me of my friend when we were there it started to rain so he told me to put up my hood because of radioactivity. I put down my hood and got a little wet on purpose because he said that.
Old 2013-04-01, 20:35   Link #1151
AmeNoJaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friera View Post
We spent hours in Akihabara XD

Anyway, we have plans to go to Oedo Onsen Monogatari. However, I do have a very feminine half-sleeve on my upper arm, so we are not sure if its worth the trip if we can't get in anyway. Very frustrating about their tattoo regulations...
There are many cultural reasons for the tattoo deal in the Far East, not just Japan... similar to lash body and facial hair... my brother had a blast listening to all the comments about gorillas in their onsen

Quote:
Quote:
It's part of the reason why I'm asking around for any popular well trusted universities with professors that can speak English. Thanks, for the concern. I plan to travel to Japan once I establish a connection with one of the researchers there.
Quote:
Well, the radioactivity from the boron in his room would probably kill him faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Oh you reminded me of my friend when we were there it started to rain so he told me to put up my hood because of radioactivity. I put down my hood and got a little wet on purpose because he said that.
Indeed, some Japanese really freaked out, an acquaintance of mine left her husband and moved to Europe, because she was afraid about her newborn child getting cancer by growing up in Tokyo

Nonetheless, however much I can understand (but not agree with) the danger for the residents of the areas near Fukushima, it is just ridiculous to be scared of long term effects hundreds of miles away, particularly for short-term supposedly exposures on adults

@Knightrunner: Seriously?! Maybe Japan is not for you if you are worried so much about such things (peaople enjoy their lives there, it's not like Munich or San Francisco)

EDIT / Attendum concerning Miyajima: It's just a tourist soup, a little bit of Nara, a little bit of Kamakura, a little bit of Hie/Koya-san, etc... the only thing it is still missing is a castle Basically, avoid it unless you have no idea about Japanese history, religions and culture in general... or if you want to visit one place that will mix in shamelessly everything found in the country, it's best place to go

Last edited by AmeNoJaku; 2013-04-06 at 03:29. Reason: about Miyajima
AmeNoJaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 22:22   Link #1152
willx
Nyaaan~~

So looks like I'll be back in Japan .. basically almost at exactly the same time I was there last year. Looks like Kyoto (and surrounding), Kyushu (surrounding) and then briefly into Tokyo before heading home! 7 guys on a trip to Japan.. this'll be an absolute gong-show..
Old 2013-05-17, 19:44   Link #1153
Kirarakim

Just booked another trip for November. Sadly not counting the plane ride I will only have about 6 1/2 days there. But this is my 3rd time going back (and 2nd time in less than a year) so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Mainly going to Kyoto and the Kansai region to experience the autumn leaves. But I will be doing a couple days in Tokyo for some nerdy stuff as well.

I also will be going alone this time and people tell me I am crazy but after being to Japan twice I feel perfectly safe there and know how to get around.
Old 2013-06-01, 15:32   Link #1154
Garet Jax

People in the know: hanami is of course very nice, but what about the rest of nature in early April (Tokyo, Kyoto areas)? I imagine some of the more common places to see (parks, temples, etc.) might look quite nice (or better?) with more greenery later in the year. Do you have to trade one for the other?
Garet Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-01, 19:34   Link #1155
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, actually sakura peaked at the end of March this year. The two prime times in most people's eyes to view nature are sakura and the fall color (koyo) season, but generally speaking, any time in Spring or Autumn is going to be the best time if you want to see nature (unless you're a snow buff). It seems to me that by April Tokyo and Kyoto are pretty well covered in greenery, so even after the sakura are gone if you're just looking for verdant April is still a pretty good choice.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-01, 21:26   Link #1156
Garet Jax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Well, actually sakura peaked at the end of March this year. The two prime times in most people's eyes to view nature are sakura and the fall color (koyo) season, but generally speaking, any time in Spring or Autumn is going to be the best time if you want to see nature (unless you're a snow buff). It seems to me that by April Tokyo and Kyoto are pretty well covered in greenery, so even after the sakura are gone if you're just looking for verdant April is still a pretty good choice.
Global warming! *shakes fist* Thanks, good to know. I wouldn't want to try to make it for sakura, only to miss it and end up with nothing.
Old 2013-06-01, 21:37   Link #1157
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It happened to a lot of people this year, sad to say. Truth is, timing a trip around sakura or koyo is always risky - they can be early or late (though not often the latter recently). As a backup, there are mountain areas around both Tokyo and Kyoto that can be visited in a day trip, and as you climb in altitude the peak sakura dates get later and the koyo dates get earlier.

The best thing is really to come in the spring or fall (not Golden Week, though) because if nothing else, that's when you're likely to have the best weather for spending time outdoors.
Old 2013-06-02, 13:07   Link #1158
Garet Jax

One more question: is September as bad for typhoons as some searching seems to indicate? (I had thoughts of visiting the Tokyo Game Show before deciding that was probably not worth it due to language barrier.)
Old 2013-06-02, 19:25   Link #1159
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

August and September are peak times for typhoons, yes, but they're a random element when planning travel. Some seasons have many, some almost none. They hit, two days or so are obscenely terrible, then it's clear as a bell and quiet. The odds of one hitting on any given day are slim, but during those months it's always possible.
Old 2013-06-02, 20:15   Link #1160
AmeNoJaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garet Jax View Post
People in the know: hanami is of course very nice, but what about the rest of nature in early April (Tokyo, Kyoto areas)? I imagine some of the more common places to see (parks, temples, etc.) might look quite nice (or better?) with more greenery later in the year. Do you have to trade one for the other?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Tokyo has indeed a lot of parks, Kyoto not so much, unless you count in the surrounding hills.

For Sakura viewing there is indeed a narrow window of two weeks around the end of March and/or beginning of April. The Meteorological Agency is able to predict it accurately a month earlier, so planning a trip for that is usually hard.

For reference, these two photos (Fukuaka/Kumamoto) were taken the last days of the sakura viewing perdiod...

While these three (Matsue, Okayama, Hiroshima) were taken a week after it passed...

On the other hand, the autumn colors are much more impressive and last longer (October/November), most parks and gardens, as well as large shrines, are also designed for them not Sakura.

Again for reference here is how Shiba Park looked in early December...

... and Yoyogi, same period, and 3-4 weeks after the autumn colors have theoretically died out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garet Jax View Post
One more question: is September as bad for typhoons as some searching seems to indicate? (I had thoughts of visiting the Tokyo Game Show before deciding that was probably not worth it due to language barrier.)
June to September is very warm and humid. Typhoons are not a big deal unless you are very unlucky and encounter one, and even then it will waste only one at worse two days.

Now on to the language barrier, unless you want to visit the expo for professional reasons, you wouldn't talk to the exhibitors much (if at all) anyway; plus a lot know at least a little english, if you get confused or need assistance.

Tags
japan, travel