Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

Old 2009-07-09, 00:14   Link #201
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Lol. We are drawn to the unusual, and I've never seen anything like that, in anime or anywhere else.
Drawn to the unusual? SHE STAPLED HIM IN THE CHEEK!!!

That's not unusual. It's something else entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistypearl View Post
I'll never look at another stapler the same way again.... or office supplies for than matter.

Dear God she's like a Staples ninja.
It was funny in Get Smart.

... Ok so it was still hilarious here, but it was also really damn cruel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofus Maximus View Post
I think that will now be her official nickname on this forum! The Staples Ninja!
I like it. I think Animesuki should adopt a banner with her in it holding a staple and the title of "Staple Ninja" next to her. I'd love to see that while I'm trolling the forums.
Old 2009-07-09, 02:59   Link #202
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

My reaction to the first episode was "what the hell did I just watch?!" I haven't seen something this random since FLCL (although this has a completely different tone of course). I did unintentionally laugh at the sheer amount of school supplies she had though.

This looks like a fun one to watch and see where all clues lead. You can already see a few - the girl with the cat shadow (and her hair piece was a cat), and the young girl who looks suspiciously like the older girl in the OP, among others.
Old 2009-07-09, 03:32   Link #203
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofus Maximus View Post
That first episode kind of feels like a train wreck between Kara no Kyoukai and Ef: A Tale of Memories to me...
Sounds to be that you're just not used to this level of story telling, though i would have thought you would be after mentioning such shows.

In this your first ShinboxSHAFT show by any chance?
Old 2009-07-09, 04:40   Link #204
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

If i had to choose one word to describe this episode, "bizarre" would be it. There was definitely something out of whack about how casually it presents all the weird elements, and i guess it has caught my interest. Hitagi was both fun and annoying to watch (I can't see why anyone would want to offer help to someone with as sociable of a personality as she has ), and the show is definitely an exercise in style ... a style i have never been too fond of, but the Shinbo-SHAFT WTFness doesn't seem as intrusive here as in the other shows with their presence i have seen (Or maybe the bizarre theme and presentation fit together), so nothing to complain about there. I do wonder how all the display of superpower action in the 'OP' is going to fit in to this, seeing the mood set in the first ep, but then again time is going to answer that. Looks to be a fairly interesting watch, i just hope it doesn't turn out to be episodic - the premise of helping people with paranormal problems seem be suggesting that though ... ah well.
Old 2009-07-09, 06:11   Link #205
Fevvers
a regular van veen

First episode was filled with an intruiging premise and characters, although a bit plagued with Shinbo's usual directing style. Having an unusual/wtf direction is not something I'm unfamiliar with, but Shinbo's can get pretty tiresome. We'll see how he goes.

Still, that was an enjoyable episode (much more so because I didn't need to have my fingers constantly clicking the pause button), and stapler girl is awesome!

Last edited by Fevvers; 2009-07-09 at 06:51.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 06:33   Link #206
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Wow. Easily the most nonsensical episode of the season and that might be saying a lot. Nonsensical, but intriguing. But none of the characters strikes me as the 'likable' kind. Especially the insane stapler girl Hitagi.

As for comparing this Shinbo anime to others, at least others made a lot more sense. Visually it's still crazy as usual, but that's besides the point..
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 07:54   Link #207
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
But none of the characters strikes me as the 'likable' kind. Especially the insane stapler girl Hitagi.
I think that was part of their objective. Mission Accomplished, hehe =P
Old 2009-07-09, 10:59   Link #208
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
At this point Id agree, the staples ninja is extremely unlikable.

She's just so......so damn interesting.

I mean there are other violent heroines that arent interesting at all.

I guess ill make the point directly: Romance is a genre, if this series is purely episodic, itll be hard for any other characters to develop. So I dont think we need to worry to much till the other stories happen.

And if the staples ninja became a background character, that would be one of the biggest wastes of a character since......well, Im sure you guys can name one.
alu546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 12:44   Link #209
apr
Pedestrian

I really wish I hadn't clicked the spoiler above.
Old 2009-07-09, 13:21   Link #210
Mistypearl
Whack and Unwrap!

I forgot to mention this earlier, but with people talking about SHAFT and how it's typical or not, I have to say that I'm especially intrigued by the emphasis and detailing of everyone's eyes, wether close ups (there are ALOT) or just them talking, they have a certain glow, and it can be enchanting, and though I might of seen it once or twice before in another SHAFT show, it's extremely prominent in just this one episode, I know nothing about Bakemonogatari other than this one episode, but is there a reason for this, or just creative liscense?
Old 2009-07-09, 13:29   Link #211
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistypearl View Post
I forgot to mention this earlier, but with people talking about SHAFT and how it's typical or not, I have to say that I'm especially intrigued by the emphasis and detailing of everyone's eyes, wether close ups (there are ALOT) or just them talking, they have a certain glow, and it can be enchanting, and though I might of seen it once or twice before in another SHAFT show, it's extremely prominent in just this one episode, I know nothing about Bakemonogatari other than this one episode, but is there a reason for this, or just creative liscense?
Creative license, mainly. The novel is just filled to the brim with dialogue, dialogue, dialogue. Literally dozens of pages where the characters sit somewhere and talk to each other, in verbal warfare. To keep this interesting as an anime, the studio probably decided it'd be nice to change angles and have him play with his pen, etc, etc. I think it works pretty well.
Old 2009-07-09, 13:42   Link #212
Kraker2k

Well at least they've tried to make it interesting unlike To aru Majutsu no Index where it is just endless walls of text.
Old 2009-07-09, 13:59   Link #213
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
I knew nothing about this series before hand but caught episode 1. It was weird yet interesting first episode enough to keep me watching.
Old 2009-07-09, 14:54   Link #214
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
I knew nothing about this series before hand but caught episode 1. It was weird yet interesting first episode enough to keep me watching.
Yes shows like this remind why I avoid pre-hype of upcoming seasons to the extreme...Such a nice feeling of going into the unknown completely unprepaired...

It'd be a shame if staple girl is just an temporary character if the show is episodic, but at the same time when I consider all the characters introduced here already I have faith the show will not have a shortage of intriguing characters.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 15:04   Link #215
NaweG
Just some guy

I believe someone asked for some images...

FWIW...
Old 2009-07-09, 15:23   Link #216
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

I wonder if Tsubasa goes Nutso later when she finds him with Hitagi.

Hmm..she doesn't sound like Eri of School Rumble but Yui Horie voices her.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 15:30   Link #217
NaweG
Just some guy

Oh my... I've become one of THOSE people...

Anyway, some more images:

Old 2009-07-09, 15:41   Link #218
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
Oh my... I've become one of THOSE people...
Really... how can you TELL...

Anyway, some more images:

. . . . . . . . .
Old 2009-07-09, 16:04   Link #219
Raiga
tl;dr

Well if we're on the subject of images I was playing around in Photoshop hoping to make something I could use for a banner and I ended up with something that doesn't look all that good downscaled to banner size but isn't big enough to be a WP so... I dunno, now it's just an image. :\

Spoiler for Staples!:
Old 2009-07-09, 17:22   Link #220
achirist

This was interesting, certainly; the artwork was quite spectacular, and I will wait to see where this story goes. I was turned off a bit by the vampire girl's needless violence, and the sort of new age/spiritual explanation given for her weightlessness (that it was just her attitude.) But this definitely is different.
achirist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, comedy, fantasy, romance, shaft, supernatural