AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-12-19, 16:14   Link #1
NeoSam

Ookiku Furikabutte (second season)

The seinen manga Ookiku Furikabutte by Higuchi Asa will be getting a second season anime adaptation.

The anime will start broadcast in Spring 2010.

おおきく振りかぶって (大きく振りかぶって)
Ookiku Furikabutte

Official site of the anime:
http://www.tbs.co.jp/anime/oofuri/

And more comprehensive site:
http://www.oofuri.com/

The manga is serialized in the seinen manga magazine Afternoon.
Currently there are 13 volumes released of this manga.

Here are the covers:

Spoiler:

Some info about Ookiku Furikabutte from Entropy group:

Quote:
Voted the number one baseball manga of all time! It also won the Tezuka Cultural Award in May 2006 for showing new possibilities of expression in baseball manga.
Ookiku Furikabutte isn't just a baseball manga. It's the story of a timid young man who was made an ace pitcher in middle school because of family connections. Now he's in high school and it's his time to shine as an ace in his own right.
Reading this story will get your blood boiling, heart pumping and tears flowing. It has been popular since it was serialized, a true Japanese high school baseball manga!
Mangaka: Higuchi Asa

Genre: Seinen, Sports
Old 2009-12-19, 18:39   Link #2
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
It's about time!!! I honestly didn't think this would get a 2nd season, despite how good everyone thought it was. Glad i held off on the manga in case this were to happen.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 01:09   Link #3
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I hear you. After watching the likes of Touch and Cross Game, and discovering how good of a vehible the Japanese had made out of baseball series to create character development and interactions series, I decided to give a chance to Ookiku Furikabutte. Hold and behold, who would have thought that a sports series written by a woman could be so strong.

That said, despite the main theme of these series being friendship, it is much more baseball focused than the two other aforementioned titles, so I wouldn't really recommend this to people who don't have a clue about baseball. Unless you managed to enjoy the likes of Saki and Akagi despite not knowing any Mahjong or something.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 01:53   Link #4
Theowne
耳をすませば

I think this calls for my first ever "omg".

When I first watched this show I was hooked so easily, I sped through all the episodes in a few days.

I wouldn't have watched this series without first being interested in series like Cross Game / Touch as..."baseball buffers", but in terms of just depicting baseball itself, I find Oofuri matches a great deal more exciting and suspenseful. Which is strange because it sounds so boring on paper, play-by-play depictions of games.

I hope to god it's a 26 episode season. I can't wait.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 06:59   Link #5
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
I wouldn't have watched this series without first being interested in series like Cross Game / Touch as..."baseball buffers", but in terms of just depicting baseball itself, I find Oofuri matches a great deal more exciting and suspenseful. Which is strange because it sounds so boring on paper, play-by-play depictions of games.
Yeah Oofuri really handled the baseball matches really well, unlike say Cross Game where the matches are rather "meh" most of the time.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 08:26   Link #6
Lucipher

lol glad this is back, but yeah this is a bad time for it to be comming out why cant it be aired while Major aint. We will have 2 baseball animes going on at 1 time Major Cross game and Ookiku
Lucipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 08:36   Link #7
tigerwoods

Send a message via MSN to tigerwoods
Who knows who's going to do the animation? I just hope it's the good old A-1 and not the more recent one.
Old 2009-12-20, 21:44   Link #8
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Just dropping by to say HELL YEAH!!! again.

(Dammit, Bijou got the 13th volume cover, too! Wonder if Musashino will get #14.)
Old 2009-12-21, 15:03   Link #9
_gallo_

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerwoods View Post
Who knows who's going to do the animation? I just hope it's the good old A-1 and not the more recent one.
Well, the director is the old one and unlike most of A-1's series, here the source material is really good. In my opinion you shouldn't worry too much.

I'm glad that finally we get something different from them. I mean, with Kannagi and Soranowoto it looks like they basically want to replicate Kyoani's success.

[... the secret of the Great Stories is that they have no secrets. The Great Stories are the ones you have heard and want to hear again. The ones you can enter anywhere and inhabit comfortably. They don't deceive you with thrills and trick endings. They don't surprise you with the unforeseen.. They are as familiar as the house you live in. Or the smell of your lover's skin. You know how they end yet you listen as though you don't. In the way that you know that one day you will die, you live as though you won't. In the Great Stories you know who lives, who dies, who finds love, who doesn't. And yet you want to know again. That is their mystery and their magic. ...] Arundhati Roy
_gallo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-22, 14:27   Link #10
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Finally. Best baseball series is back. Season 1 was great. Hope A-1 delivers with season 2 as well. Can't wait.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-22, 16:24   Link #11
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

I had a dream about this. That it came out and it wasn't very good. My dream self thought it was unfortunate. It was a bad feeling.
Old 2009-12-24, 01:52   Link #12
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
I had a dream about this. That it came out and it wasn't very good. My dream self thought it was unfortunate. It was a bad feeling.
Well that's depressing. Please don't dream about that Fafner sequel or UBW movie that I want to see.

Looking forward to season 2.
Old 2009-12-27, 23:19   Link #13
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Well, if they're as faithful to the source material in the second season as they were in the first, we don't have to worry about it being good. I think in my dream either the animation was bad, or they had added some filler that was lackluster. Downloading Touch and then Cross Game to get myself in the mood.
Old 2010-01-10, 20:37   Link #14
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

ANN interviewed some Funimation bigshots, and they said that Oofuri has not performed well enough to warrant licensing the second season or other sports anime like Cross Game. Cue much anger and teeth gnashing on the forum.

This is disappointing. Sports anime has always sold crappy stateside, but still. Poop. BUY THE DVDS. BUY 10 OF THEM.
Old 2010-01-10, 23:33   Link #15
Crontica

Ahh second season.. i can watch in joy as i compare Michiru to cats on a chalkboard.

*Commits suicide at the mare thought of it*
Old 2010-01-11, 00:02   Link #16
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crontica View Post
Ahh second season.. i can watch in joy as i compare Michiru to cats on a chalkboard.

*Commits suicide at the mare thought of it*
Michiru. Michiru, Michiru... Is Michiru the horse of which you speak?
Old 2010-01-11, 00:05   Link #17
Crontica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
Michiru. Michiru, Michiru... Is Michiru the horse of which you speak?
Mihashi actually. which is pretty close enough. dodgy memory.
Old 2010-01-11, 13:32   Link #18
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I can't imagine anyone getting much enjoyment out of this show if they find Mihashi that annoying! He's most certainly the central character. He grated on me too, at first, but I sort of grew to accept him as he was and stopped worrying about his hyper-timid nature. Kind of like Lag's crying in Tegami Bachi - that's just how he is.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 12:19   Link #19
_gallo_

In the meantime, waiting for the second season (via ANN)
http://www.oofuri.com/special/movie_oofuri2_pv.html
Why spring seems so far away?

[... the secret of the Great Stories is that they have no secrets. The Great Stories are the ones you have heard and want to hear again. The ones you can enter anywhere and inhabit comfortably. They don't deceive you with thrills and trick endings. They don't surprise you with the unforeseen.. They are as familiar as the house you live in. Or the smell of your lover's skin. You know how they end yet you listen as though you don't. In the way that you know that one day you will die, you live as though you won't. In the Great Stories you know who lives, who dies, who finds love, who doesn't. And yet you want to know again. That is their mystery and their magic. ...] Arundhati Roy
_gallo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 00:22   Link #20
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I can't imagine anyone getting much enjoyment out of this show if they find Mihashi that annoying! He's most certainly the central character. He grated on me too, at first, but I sort of grew to accept him as he was and stopped worrying about his hyper-timid nature. Kind of like Lag's crying in Tegami Bachi - that's just how he is.
Yeah, somehow I wound up feeling the same way about him. I had originally gotten a review copy of the Funi dub, and on the first watch, he was the only character who bothered me. But for the next ∞ times I've watched the show, he wasn't so irritating. Also read the manga and he was even less so.

C'mon April!

Tags
baseball, seinen, sports