AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2012-03-19, 17:23   Link #5861
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikoto View Post
I miss Nanoha series being an atypical magical girl show
Force is a magical girl series with a male protagonist. Don't get more atypical than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikoto View Post
so the boy wonder will take it from now.
Uh, if you haven't noticed Thoma's track record hasn't been very stellar. It'd be one thing if Thoma was shown to be super skilled and better than everyone in every single way. That would be a problem. As it stands he's far from the "solves everything by himself always" stage.

Either way, as attached as most of us are to the old cast, sometimes you have to accept that their time in the spotlight is over and they need to move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
but i'll miss the times when various characters managed to pull off awesome stuff instead or relying in one/two people to do all the job.
... There was a time like that?
Old 2012-03-19, 19:05   Link #5862
Justin_Brett

Quote:
Either way, as attached as most of us are to the old cast, sometimes you have to accept that their time in the spotlight is over and they need to move on.
A shame the writers don't share your sentiments. They wouldn't be in the story at all if that were the case; the passing the torch thing already happened. So of course people will expect them to do something here, or they wouldn't be a part of the plot.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 19:17   Link #5863
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Not necessarily. Look at Zeta Gundam: Amuro and Char were present, they did things, but Kamille was the ultimate focus.

Nanoha and co are present, they do do things, but Thoma is the ultimate focus.

From the complaints I've seen people want the old cast to come in and steam roll everything in their way. I remember another show where the creators gave into demands like that: it's called Gundam SEED Destiny.
Old 2012-03-19, 19:21   Link #5864
Justin_Brett

Yeah, but in Zeta Gundam Amuro only appeared in a few episodes, working in different places than Kamille. He wasn't on the Argama personally training him or anything, which gave him some space of his own. And Char was a pretty different character from when we last saw him, so it continued his own story by having him be the secondary lead.

And I dunno, there's a difference between wanting heroes that win without any effort at all (that pretty much ruined Star Driver's drama), and heroes that, uh, win.
Old 2012-03-19, 19:21   Link #5865
ranran
daydreaming 24/7
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Not necessarily. Look at Zeta Gundam: Amuro and Char were present, they did things, but Kamille was the ultimate focus.

Nanoha and co are present, they do do things, but Thoma is the ultimate focus.

From the complaints I've seen people want the old cast to come in and steam roll everything in their way. I remember another show where the creators gave into demands like that: it's called Gundam SEED Destiny.
But I think the reason why most people complain is because of the naming. It's NANOHA Force and from that they'll expect something tame like before with Nanoha as the main character, and instead is met with a war manga with a whole bunch of new charas. Maybe if they name it 'Mahou Senki Touma Force, by the creator of Nanoha' or something, the people won't be as mad
Old 2012-03-19, 19:30   Link #5866
Justin_Brett

Well to be fair, lots of series do that. They kept calling Dragon Ball that even after the search for them only became important as a reset button, for example.
Old 2012-03-19, 20:00   Link #5867
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
Yeah, but in Zeta Gundam Amuro only appeared in a few episodes, working in different places than Kamille. He wasn't on the Argama personally training him or anything, which gave him some space of his own. And Char was a pretty different character from when we last saw him, so it continued his own story by having him be the secondary lead.

And I dunno, there's a difference between wanting heroes that win without any effort at all (that pretty much ruined Star Driver's drama), and heroes that, uh, win.
Char had room to grow. We've established that the old Nanoha cast do not. They're like Irm or the Octo Squad in SRW: they're just there to beef up the number of available units.

I'm sure they'll win in the end, but right now they're fighting new opponents using a weapon they don't have much experience with. They have to use untested equipment while their foes use weapons they are intimately familiar with. It's going to take awhile for the heros to reach a level where they can reliably fight.
Old 2012-03-19, 20:16   Link #5868
Justin_Brett

Quote:
Char had room to grow. We've established that the old Nanoha cast do not. They're like Irm or the Octo Squad in SRW: they're just there to beef up the number of available units.
Yeah, and that's a solution to a problem that was only invented so they could be here to solve it. Don't put them in the story if you don't want people to expect more from them than that.

Quote:
I'm sure they'll win in the end, but right now they're fighting new opponents using a weapon they don't have much experience with. They have to use untested equipment while their foes use weapons they are intimately familiar with. It's going to take awhile for the heros to reach a level where they can reliably fight.
Which basically means the gap between them is based on something the heroes can do nothing about. They're not scientists, so all they can do is wait until people who are give them weapons that will actually work out in battle. Getting used to them won't solve them being inherently flawed. When they get around to beating the Huckebein using them, if they do, the simple ability to hurt the villains won't have come from any accomplishment of their own. It's kind of a lame conflict to be such a big part of the plot.

Last edited by Justin_Brett; 2012-03-19 at 21:42.
Old 2012-03-20, 00:03   Link #5869
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Yup, it's specially jarring to see heroes being beaten without any better explanation that "the villains are teeerrible".

But apparently i'm the only person in the world who finds the triumphant return of the old cast in Gundan Seed: DESTINY satisfyng xD! .....what can i say? i like seeing cool heroes being awesome xD!

Quote:
Yeah, and that's a solution to a problem that was only invented so they could be here to solve it. Don't put them in the story if you don't want people to expect more from them than that.
Truer words has never been spoken. Having the old cast present just to fill numbers is lame beyond belief(and one of the reasons i find the SRW anime series incredibly boring). You shouldn't recast good characters if you don't plan on doing significant stuff with those.

Quote:
Which basically means the gap between them is based on something the heroes can do nothing about. They're not scientists, so all they can do is wait until people who are give them weapons that will actually work out in battle. Getting used to them won't solve them being inherently flawed. When they get around to beating the Huckebein using them, if they do, the simple ability to hurt the villains won't have come from any accomplishment of their own. It's kind of a lame conflict to be such a big part of the plot.
One of my initial complaints about the AEC equipement. Me and some people argued about Cypha cheating in her fight with Signum due to the virus and her reactor ....but if Signum defeats her using an AEC-equipement she'll be essentially cheating too since she won't win by her own means but with external help instead. Which feel a bit OOC for her.

The reliableness of the AEC-Equipement is very doubtfull by this point since it already passed over two months and very real battle test and the Equipements keep failing miserably on the battle field as demonstrated by the Grendel Family.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~

Last edited by Akiyoshi; 2012-03-20 at 16:04.
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 00:04   Link #5870
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranran View Post
But I think the reason why most people complain is because of the naming. It's NANOHA Force and from that they'll expect something tame like before with Nanoha as the main character, and instead is met with a war manga with a whole bunch of new charas. Maybe if they name it 'Mahou Senki Touma Force, by the creator of Nanoha' or something, the people won't be as mad
And that's how Nanoha Force got outsold... XD I'm kidding xD (I haven't seen a male contestant in Vivid yet...)
Old 2012-03-20, 08:53   Link #5871
Justin_Brett

Well with the Super Robot Wars anime, those people were all in the game, and it's an adaptation, so they have to be there too. If anyone got marginalized (that wasn't Ibis), it was because the School Subplot got twice the screentime as everything else for some reason, even though it's the same thing over and over.
Old 2012-03-27, 16:12   Link #5872
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

I guess it follows the Nanoha route.

Nanoha gets beaten by Fate -> gets stronger.
Nanoha & Fate gets beaten by the Wolkenritter -> gets stronger.
Everyone gets beaten by Jail -> get stronger (and attack the 2 bases).
Si- ... oh never mind.
Old 2012-03-27, 16:15   Link #5873
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

By now they should have reached the "capable of fighting back" level though. We already know how strong Cypha is, we don't need another demonstration.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 16:34   Link #5874
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Si- ... oh never mind.
Yup, it's sad she got out of the "level up" program for Nanoha characters. If anything she leveled down with the spine problems and all(demonstrated by the need of having Agito and Isis babysitting her during the last chapter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
By now they should have reached the "capable of fighting back" level though.
Tohma seems so but any other seems to still be cannon fooder for the villains. Even the Raptors failed to make a difference xDU The irony is that even then both heroes and villains alike are talking about them and the AEC-Equipement as if they were sucessfull technologic miracles of science xDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
We already know how strong Cypha is, we don't need another demonstration.
Tsuzuki apparently thinks we still need to, since she's about to trash Quinn and Maria xD! To be honest i also think Cypha need to achieve solid feats of awesomeness since i'm tired of hearing about her battle with Signum as her only notorious achievement.

~The ASFB~
Old 2012-03-27, 19:31   Link #5875
Justin_Brett

Quote:
We already know how strong Cypha is, we don't need another demonstration.
This fight would be the first prolonged, detailed one she's in that doesn't have her getting beaten up for most of it, so it can't hurt.
Old 2012-03-27, 19:38   Link #5876
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
This fight would be the first prolonged, detailed one she's in that doesn't have her getting beaten up for most of it, so it can't hurt.
Plus, the first one where we're porbably see her fighting at the top of her power. During the first half of her fight with Signum she was just playing with her and had her butt handed to her for doing it. During the second half, a reacted Cypha defeated Signum without even trying.

The only time i remeber seeing a fully powered Cypha struggling was when she was trying to destroy Hayate's Heimdall. This will be the chance to see how strong Cypha really is when she fights seriously.

~The ASFB~
Old 2012-03-27, 20:21   Link #5877
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

it'll end up with Cypha laughing hard.
Old 2012-03-27, 20:22   Link #5878
Justin_Brett

I'll laugh if they're both more than a match for her together and Section Six has to rescue her.

But that probably won't happen in this story.
Old 2012-03-27, 20:25   Link #5879
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

lol I'd let the Hucks get kicked first. Then Grendel family after.
Old 2012-03-29, 06:48   Link #5880
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Spoiler for 23:

Tags
manga, nanoha force