AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-11, 09:23   Link #1301
SHINOBI-03

Since there's a lack of activity, I decided to bring up the character popularity poll form around the current events:

37,648 votes total
  1. -Killua (13,728 votes) [I love his sharp edges! - He seems the strongest! - I want him as a little brother!]
  2. -Kurapika (13,498 votes) [What amazing resolve. - Is he a man or a woman? - I love him so much!!]
  3. -Gon (3,929 votes) [He's so cute! - I wish him luck!! - I want to be his friend!!]
  4. -Hisoka (1,846 votes) [He's so mysterious!! - Scary, but I still love him!!]
  5. -Leoreo (1,015 votes) [I wish he were my big brother!! - I bet he's a hard worker. - He's so cool!]
  6. -Illumi (520 votes) [His eyes are cute. - What's going on in his head?]
  7. -Satotz (471 votes) [The conscience of the hunters!! - He's so suave!!]
  8. -Hanzo (322 votes) [What a nice guy! - Handsome and funny!!]
  9. -Ponzo (294 votes) [She's so cute - I wouldn't mind being stung by her!!]
  10. -Kite (243 votes) [I want to see more of him!! - Where is he now?!]
  11. -Wing (187 votes) [ I wish he were my tutor!! - Marry me!]
  12. -Pokkle (156 votes)
  13. -Killua's Mom (125 votes)
  14. -Kalluto (91 votes)
  15. -Silva and Ging (Tie with 85 votes)
    Togashi was 18th
SHINOBI-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 09:55   Link #1302
fanty
STARVING ARTIST

That's probably the most unequal distribution of votes I've ever seen in a Jump popularity poll. It doesn't surprise me that Killua and Kurapika were the most popular at this point (They're my favourites too.), but the gulf between the amount of votes those two have and everybody else is just vast.
Old 2012-06-11, 10:07   Link #1303
SHINOBI-03

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanty View Post
That's probably the most unequal distribution of votes I've ever seen in a Jump popularity poll. It doesn't surprise me that Killua and Kurapika were the most popular at this point (They're my favourites too.), but the gulf between the amount of votes those two have and everybody else is just vast.
I'm with you. It's normal to have other characters than the main protagonist to be higher than him. But a difference of 9569 votes between second place Kurapika and third place Gon is astonishing!
Old 2012-06-11, 12:51   Link #1304
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

No Zushi option?

I agree that while it's normal for a flashy supporting character to be #1, it's odd to see Kurapika so far ahead of Gon. Kurapika is a good character, but what has he done that's all that spectacular so far? Is it the androgyny?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 13:17   Link #1305
leokiko

LOL at number #10 being a spoiler.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 13:18   Link #1306
fanimanga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
No Zushi option?

I agree that while it's normal for a flashy supporting character to be #1, it's odd to see Kurapika so far ahead of Gon. Kurapika is a good character, but what has he done that's all that spectacular so far? Is it the androgyny?
More likely. Japanese fans tend to like these types.
fanimanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 19:18   Link #1307
VnsFurs

Seeing as the cast is incredible and the new tracks in the second soundtrack are also incredible (the full tracks are on youtube now), this upcoming arc is going to be wonderful.
I've really been enjoying the new series so far and it just seems to get better and better.
VnsFurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 21:25   Link #1308
Clarste
Human

Quote:
No Zushi option?

It's his principles. Sort of the opposite of Gon, really. The pacifist who could win any fight. The new anime kind of skipped this, but early in the manga Kurapika casually blocked some of Hisoka's cards, and of course there are various hints that he's actually really really dangerous (what he did to the guy pretending to be Ryodan, not backing down from Hisoka on the island, etc), but chooses not to hurt anyone if he doesn't have to. He's the embodiment of "control" in a world where everyone just does what they want.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 22:03   Link #1309
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
It's his principles. Sort of the opposite of Gon, really. The pacifist who could win any fight. The new anime kind of skipped this, but early in the manga Kurapika casually blocked some of Hisoka's cards, and of course there are various hints that he's actually really really dangerous (what he did to the guy pretending to be Ryodan, not backing down from Hisoka on the island, etc), but chooses not to hurt anyone if he doesn't have to. He's the embodiment of "control" in a world where everyone just does what they want.
I think the anime communicated all that very well, actually - I knew it, and haven't read the manga. And it's all very admirable, but it doesn't strike me as the sort of stuff that usually wins reader polls.
Old 2012-06-11, 23:37   Link #1310
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Well it's hard to know what kind of fan base is voting in these polls. If they have manga knowledge I'm hardly surprised about this poll.

Really though this anime is just filled with awesome characters.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 00:05   Link #1311
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Well it's hard to know what kind of fan base is voting in these polls. If they have manga knowledge I'm hardly surprised about this poll.

Really though this anime is just filled with awesome characters.
I think the point is that this was a poll conducted when the manga was at the same point the 2011 anime is now.
Old 2012-06-12, 01:43   Link #1312
fanimanga

Quote:
There was NO FIGHTING portrayed in the manga between Kurapika and Hisoka for your information. The manga just said they fought a while and then Hisoka just gave up after whispering something to Kurapika. That's it.

Check your facts first before posting.
Old 2012-06-12, 01:49   Link #1313
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanimanga View Post
There was NO FIGHTING portrayed in the manga between Kurapika and Hisoka for your information. The manga just said they fought a while and then Hisoka just gave up after whispering something to Kurapika. That's it.

Check your facts first before posting.
*checks facts*

Spoiler:

Oh.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 06:31   Link #1314
Clarste
Human

That's exactly the scene I was referring to. It was when Hisoka was "playing examiner". I never said they fought, just that Kurapika rather casually blocked the cards.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 08:52   Link #1315
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
I think the anime communicated all that very well, actually - I knew it, and haven't read the manga. And it's all very admirable, but it doesn't strike me as the sort of stuff that usually wins reader polls.
In the end guess it comes down to a combination of factors. The androgyny probably helps. The strong motivations for Kurapika being there and working so hard. Easy to get behind someone trying to get justice for their dead family. Add in the principles and should be enough to pull well ahead of Gon. Of course in the end rationalizing choices in a popularity poll can be tricky since people are drawn to different types of characters.
Old 2012-06-12, 15:53   Link #1316
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

The new list of VA's hasn't caused any reason for worry just yet. Well, maybe a bit. I am a tad concerned for Chrollo, but I'll admit that's mostly because the only characters voiced by Mamoru Miyano I've actually seen are the happy/good guy kind.

Oh, and then there's Akio Otsuka voicing Ubogin, to which my only reaction is "Oh gods yes!"
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 16:57   Link #1317
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
The new list of VA's hasn't caused any reason for worry just yet. Well, maybe a bit. I am a tad concerned for Chrollo, but I'll admit that's mostly because the only characters voiced by Mamoru Miyano I've actually seen are the happy/good guy kind.

Oh, and then there's Akio Otsuka voicing Ubogin, to which my only reaction is "Oh gods yes!"
Hmm...Kira?
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 17:15   Link #1318
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

*re-checks list* Ah. Okay. Concern erased. Completely.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 14:47   Link #1319
fanimanga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
*checks facts*

Spoiler:

Oh.
Quote:
That's exactly the scene I was referring to. It was when Hisoka was "playing examiner". I never said they fought, just that Kurapika rather casually blocked the cards.
Ah, that part. My mistake. I thought you're talking about the 5th exam.

Still, that's not enough "action" to warrant him a huge difference between his place and the next one (3rd) compared to the small difference between his place and the former one (1st). I still stand on his pretty boy looks + intelligence (cool looks) than him having cool "parts" in the manga.
Old 2012-06-13, 16:38   Link #1320
SHINOBI-03

Any idea how far the old anime went along the run of the manga? Maybe the results are based on their portrayal in the anime?

Tags
action, shounen