AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2016-07-11, 04:33   Link #11121
Junchi
Dr. 9001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Also, some manga additions like that Birdface teigu-user turned out to be a waste of pages and not worth my time.
Those 4 "final targets" powered by utter fodderness were much worse imho. Oh, look, just introduce four big dogs of the empire (out of fucking nowhere) just to trash them effortlessly without any impact. To double the hell Takahiro did this in the FINAL arc.

MAL | MML
Junchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-11, 04:50   Link #11122
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junchi View Post
Those 4 "final targets" powered by utter fodderness were much worse imho. Oh, look, just introduce four big dogs of the empire (out of fucking nowhere) just to trash them effortlessly without any impact. To double the hell Takahiro did this in the FINAL arc.
I think I'll agree to that .
Old 2016-07-11, 05:21   Link #11123
fullillegal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junchi View Post
Maybe they will appear in Zero.
fullillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-11, 05:54   Link #11124
Knighto

I like those additions. Don't get me wrong, story-wise they serve no purpose, but this is the core of the Capital afterall, the Imperial Palace, and you would expect it to be heavily guarded by teigu users and other strong contenders. Surely it wasn't going to be a walk in the park, and gets to show Honest is playing all his cards to make it harder for the enemy to get to the big shots.
Knighto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-11, 06:17   Link #11125
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Eh, let's just say that those people are just glorified fodder-characters which only there because the logic of the story demands it without much thought put into it. They serve a purpose to enrich the setting but nothing more than that (which is actually a sad excuse for named characters who supposedly hold important positions in the Empire and parts of the "evil source" within it). I mean, even Bleach in its last breath of serialization is actually able to do its minor villain characters better than those AgK characters, just saying .
Old 2016-07-11, 06:35   Link #11126
Knighto

Not like this is anything new, tough. Remember Spear and her father? They were introduced with names and disposed of in a mere 5 pages. Or that dude with the scythe teigu for that matter.
Knighto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-11, 09:52   Link #11127
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Knight View Post
Not like this is anything new, tough. Remember Spear and her father? They were introduced with names and disposed of in a mere 5 pages. Or that dude with the scythe teigu for that matter.
But they're just "passing" characters which aren't even worth to be called side characters. They're just plot devices for Esdeath's "terrible trio" to demonstrate their skills and cruelty before they fought NR. While the "fabulous four" was supposed to be parts of the "big bad", but ironically their roles are even more useless then Spear & her dad coz they didn't even help the plot as much as those two. The scythe guy was one big joke, we all know that.
Old 2016-07-11, 10:54   Link #11128
B214

Quote:
But they're just "passing" characters which aren't even worth to be called side characters. They're just plot devices for Esdeath's "terrible trio" to demonstrate their skills and cruelty before they fought NR. While the "fabulous four" was supposed to be parts of the "big bad", but ironically their roles are even more useless then Spear & her dad coz they didn't even help the plot as much as those two. The scythe guy was one big joke, we all know that.
They're just corrupted politicians anyway, minutes ones when compared to Honest. So i don't see what's wrong.

Besides, this is to actually just a ruse to provide a reason for Akame and Leone to not be on the battlefield with Tatsumi. Assassinate all the top corrupted officials in the Empire.
B214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-11, 11:06   Link #11129
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by B214 View Post
They're just corrupted politicians anyway, minutes ones when compared to Honest. So i don't see what's wrong.
Did I say that it was wrong? No. I said they enrich the setting and that's about it, which is a pity. In a more capable writer, even minor named characters (good or bad) can have meaning and moment to shine. I wanted to mention Game of Thrones as an example but that would be too high a level for AgK's writing to reach, so I'll just mention Battle Royale, Gantz and Attack on Titans as comparison as mangas filled with deaths which are better in fleshing out their characters (even some minor ones) before or after being killed off.
Old 2016-07-11, 11:33   Link #11130
B214

Quote:
Did I say that it was wrong? No. I said they enrich the setting and that's about it, which is a pity. In a more capable writer, even minor named characters (good or bad) can have meaning and moment to shine. I wanted to mention Game of Thrones as an example but that would be too high a level for AgK's writing to reach, so I'll just mention Battle Royale, Gantz and Attack on Titans as comparison as mangas filled with deaths which are better in fleshing out their characters (even some minor ones) before or after being killed off.
Well at least the one Akame killed in the latest chapter had some exposure if that counts.
Old 2016-07-11, 11:43   Link #11131
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Well at least the one Akame killed in the latest chapter had some exposure if that counts.
Hardly. I don't know if that guy appeared in Zero as I didn't really follow that spin off religiously, but in the latest chapter of the main manga, his character looks like a bumbling idiot waiting to be killed off by Akame. He might shared some past with Akame which is briefly alluded to but that's about it and no further mention of his past. A total fodder character from his introduction to his death. Even the birdface did (slightly) better than him .
Old 2016-07-11, 11:50   Link #11132
B214

Quote:
Hardly. I don't know if that guy appeared in Zero as I didn't really follow that spin off religiously, but in the latest chapter of the main manga, his character looks like a bumbling idiot waiting to be killed off by Akame. He might shared some past with Akame which is briefly alluded to but that's about it and no further mention of his past. A total fodder character from his introduction to his death. Even the birdface did (slightly) better than him .
He was mentioned to be the one who found the Empire's assassination squad which Akame was previously part of. He's likely the one who thought of the trials to pick the assassins, in short he might've been the one who scouted the orphaned Akame and Kurome. He has a Teigu which helps him know the events that will happen in the country to an extent which is most likely the means he provide his assassination target/order from. He's a manipulative bastard and a coward.

What else do you want to know? His birthday. By the way, he never appeared in Zero either, at least i don't recall seeing him.
Old 2016-07-11, 12:03   Link #11133
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
He was mentioned to be the one who found the Empire's assassination squad which Akame was previously part of. He's likely the one who thought of the trials to pick the assassins, in short he might've been the one who scouted the orphaned Akame and Kurome. He has a Teigu which helps him know the events that will happen in the country to an extent. He's a manipulative bastard and a coward.
And all those info only mentioned and lasted for a few panels. The point is this: based on his significance, his character was not explored enough. And that's a shame on the writing department. Like I said, if a better writer wrote this story, that character would've been explored better. Probably even introduced earlier and given more screentime and roles to do things other than cower in fear before being offed. He could've been a good mini-boss that rely on his wit or something (after all, he's the founder of the assasination squad). Believe it or not, Digimon Adventure did it better with their mini-bosses.
Old 2016-07-11, 18:21   Link #11134
Grand-Chariot-Wave

People are taking this manga way to seriously while Takahiro+crew are having a blast.
Grand-Chariot-Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-11, 20:02   Link #11135
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand-Chariot-Wave View Post
People are taking this manga way to seriously
Ah, the usual classic and predictable defensive stand whenever a certain work faces criticism that exposed its flaws which amount to: “You shouldn’t take this thing seriouslyyyyy……” and “Don’t be mean to my favorite mangaaaa…”. Guess what? The manga itself wants to be taken (a bit) seriously by touching on sensitive issues like political intrigue and backstabbing, governmental corruption, rape, societal depravity, morally bankrupt people, rebellion and revolution. Those are pretty heavy stuffs. Heck, even the main characters are often seen having some deep contemplation on all the deeds and sins that they’ve done and the moral burdens that they bear. So don’t blame the readers from taking it (a bit) seriously too. For comparison, shonen series like Dragon Ball Z, Bleach and Naruto have never seriously touched on something like rape like AgK did. So, if AgK manga wanted us to treat it like an (pseudo) “adult” then we will take off our kiddy gloves when judging it (unlike other silly shonen manga). But it turns out the writing quality can only reach the “silly shonen”-level.

That doesn’t mean I’m not enjoying it or not having fun with AgK. I’m just pointing out the minuses of this work. This might surprise you, but I can still enjoy the things that I criticize and have fun with it. It’s common sense. You don’t have to worship everything about the manga and its writer to enjoy it.

Quote:
while Takahiro+crew are having a blast.
So? Why should I care whether or not the makers are having a blast? I'm talking about the writing quality of the manga, not the writer's psychological condition.
Old 2016-07-11, 20:25   Link #11136
Grand-Chariot-Wave

I didn't ask for an essay of nonsense. Since the creators aren't taking it serious then maybe you people should stop looking for high quality writing.
Old 2016-07-11, 21:09   Link #11137
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
I didn't ask for an essay of nonsense.
Don’t blame me just because you can’t comprehend the thorough content of my comment . And if you don't like it, you can always ignore it. This forum even has an ignore-function for that.

Quote:
Since the creators aren't taking it serious then maybe you people should stop looking for high quality writing.
Look who’s been fervently defending this manga all this time? I say you lot took this more seriously than me . Here I am, making passing comments on this silly manga that I enjoy, and there you are defending almost every aspect of it like it’s your baby.

And I don't know about you, but Digimon & Bleach (which I used as comparison) are certainly not high-quality writings. Yet they do its mid/mini-bosses better than the four "mini-bosses" that we see in these latest chapters of AgK. That really says something.
Old 2016-07-11, 21:57   Link #11138
Grand-Chariot-Wave

Forget it. You always turn a small comment into some big debate.

This manga isn't serious enough to do all that nonsense.
Old 2016-07-11, 22:22   Link #11139
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Forget it. You always turn a small comment into some big debate.

This manga isn't serious enough to do all that nonsense.
You know what? For a fan of AgK manga, you strangely like to devalue it to the point that you beg other readers to not take it seriously and turn off their brain to enjoy this manga like some trashy and brainless entertainment like Scooby Doo and its ilk.

Don't you know that when people take a work seriously and criticize it (not trashing it), they actually compliment that work by bringing it on a higher intellectual level?
Old 2016-07-14, 11:15   Link #11140
Secori

allot of people here take this manga way too seriously.
Secori is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, blood and gore, crazy author, dead protagonist, death, edgy, fantasy, happiness?, revolution, sadistic author, shounen, tragedy, we're all gonna die!