AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2007-09-11, 16:09   Link #381
Atheuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Reality View Post
Aren't they already romantically involved? Kyon likes Haruhi. He kissed her in novel one and secretly thinks that she's cute (or hot). He's sneaking peaks at Haruhi's body and has at least compared Haruhi to Mikuru once (Infinity Eight). And as far as he's concerned, Haruhi is his social life. He just doesn't like making it obvious to the audience or anybody he knows.
No, they're not romantically involved because I wouldn't exactly call the kiss in the first novel very romantic - Rather a last resort to see if he could get Haruhi to snap out of her "ohhh this is fun i wanna stay here forever"-mode.

I don't think it's a secret to anyone that Kyon thinks Haruhi is attractive, but based on that solely it's not a good enough reason to start being romancy, but yes I do agree without Haruhi his life would be very boring and she is his only source of entertainment as it is - I'm sure he has garnered some kind of feelings for her.

Quote:
Fundamentally, I don't see their relationship changing all that much if they were to both "confess." Kyon will still think that Haruhi is being childish with her schemes and Haruhi will still expect Kyon to do all the heavy lifting. You know, except maybe there will be sex and lots of annoying PDA at some point.
Mmh I suppose you're right, but he would have to stop lying to himself at that point and the commentary/his thoughts would change somewhat, atleast that's what I think. I mean after confessing he would have no point in trying to keep his feelings a secret anymore, atleast not for the reader - He doesn't strike me as a person who'd go all "NO! THIS IS TOO EMBARRASING *puts fingers in ears* LALALALALALA" on us :/

Quote:
Haruhi: Kyon! Sex now!"
Kyon: *complaining* I have a headache.
Haruhi: *pouts*
lol.
Atheuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-11, 16:18   Link #382
UPR

Well in the first kiss was not sorta for romance, but we all know they will be together just a matter of time before the author decides to hook them up.
Old 2007-09-11, 21:09   Link #383
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo

Well, my point more or less is based of Itsuki's explanation in the Day of Sagittarius episode.

And his point was that so much of the basic relationship was already there, that Haruhi and Kyon are already functionally an unofficial couple. You know, the whole trust thing. It's arguably love, even if it doesn't seem very romantic on the surface. Besides, it seems his destiny is inextricably entangled in hers. Not that it matters, because he doesn't seem to mind this at all. He's already made a decision in that regard by coming to the SOS Brigade every day.

I don't know about you, but Kyon kissing Haruhi was sort of the, "yeah, you're pretty much committed to Haruhi" moment. And he does this after confronting the question "what is Haruhi to me?" She's not God, a data anomaly or a time quake.

And even though he's sexually attracted to her, she's more than just a piece of tail to him. In fact, he's probably the first person to roll his eyes when people suggest that's why he's with Haruhi in the first place. He's not the type of person to inconvenience himself just because a girl is hot. He'll look, but he's not prone to dashing his brains over the wall of futility.

And I suppose, for all practical purposes, most people would face temptation in the affairs marital. I don't really see that temptation coming from Nagato or Mikuru -- since they seem to lack a certain "practical chemistry" that makes relationships work. Mikuru is what Kyon *thinks* he wants. Either way, neither are really practical candidates in the long-run for Kyon. I think the only real competition really comes from Sasaki (from those of you who read the novels). And Sasaki is meant to generate conflict for Kyon, not bring him resolution.

Or in short, this is an involved explanation for what everybody knows already. Kyon and Haruhi are going to get together. It's in the story, even if it's not obvious in the plot. So as far as I'm concerned, the matter is a done deal. That's sort of the point: This is a story about a healthy adult male+female relationship being forged in high school and it's both fateful and magical. That's romantic. I got my rise out of it already.

Just to underscore the point, how well do high school relationships actually pan out? Was your first kiss nearly as dramatic as Kyon's?

Last edited by Twisted Reality; 2007-09-11 at 21:35.
Twisted Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-12, 07:50   Link #384
UPR

As always in takes Twisted to put thing into perspective. Thanks, i sorta feel i understand it better now.
Old 2007-09-15, 15:58   Link #385
KeitaroNagato
Taiga Yea!!!

I would like if some pls, pls, let me know whats going on in Chapter 2 and 3?
I've read it and it seems like the there is two split timeline in volume 9, is this correct?
If so... what is the read time? or there are actually 2 timeline co-exist parallel to each other? or there is actually 1 universe with 2 timeline ... if that is possible?

thanks.

ありがとう

Last edited by KeitaroNagato; 2007-09-15 at 16:16. Reason: just in case I forget something
KeitaroNagato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-16, 09:02   Link #386
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeitaroNagato View Post
I would like if some pls, pls, let me know whats going on in Chapter 2 and 3?
I've read it and it seems like the there is two split timeline in volume 9, is this correct?
If so... what is the read time? or there are actually 2 timeline co-exist parallel to each other? or there is actually 1 universe with 2 timeline ... if that is possible?

thanks.

ありがとう
yes, theres the one where haruhi has the power and then theres the one where they support sasaki. so far they seem to coesist. as for which one is the real timeline, i suspect thats most likely for kyon to decide.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-18, 14:57   Link #387
Grey Goshawk

But how is Kyon going to decide if there are two of them?
I can't really imagine how, since the 2 Kyons will need to talk to each other or for one Kyon to gain the other's memories or something :S
Grey Goshawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-18, 21:51   Link #388
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Goshawk View Post
I can't really imagine how, since the 2 Kyons will need to talk to each other or for one Kyon to gain the other's memories or something :S
i guess we'll find out more about that in vol 10/11 or whenever a timeline is chosen.
Old 2007-09-20, 11:02   Link #389
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Goshawk View Post
If the girl at the SOS Dan meeting was a slider then there is no reason that they can't both be the same Kyon. He has eperienced alternate timelines before.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-20, 17:02   Link #390
X207
Gamyūsa

an itnersting kyon vol 10 theory someone posted up here (sry, forgot who it was)
Spoiler:

that^ or the new girl are both intriguing possibilities imo
Old 2007-09-20, 17:20   Link #391
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
an itnersting kyon vol 10 theory someone posted up here (sry, forgot who it was)
Spoiler:

that^ or the new girl are both intriguing possibilities imo
Nah. The author said in an interview that Kyon was originally meant to be an Esper. But then he decided that an ordinary human was best as the narrator. I agree with him.
Old 2007-09-20, 19:54   Link #392
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Nah. The author said in an interview that Kyon was originally meant to be an Esper. But then he decided that an ordinary human was best as the narrator. I agree with him.
where was that interview posted? i didnt know about it until you posted that.
Old 2007-09-20, 22:30   Link #393
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
where was that interview posted? i didnt know about it until you posted that.
http://books.yahoo.co.jp/interview/d...131493/01.html

Quote:
――退屈を何よりも嫌い、学園生活に「非日常」を求めるハルヒに振り回されるのが、語り手のキョンです。キ ョンは本名すら明かされず、これといって特徴もない、普通の少年ですが。

「まともな名前をつけてもよかったんですけど、最初から最後までけったいなニックネームで呼ばれ続けるとい うのもマヌケでいいのではないかと。特徴に関しては、当初の予定では超能力者の一人にしようかと考えていたのですが、プロローグを書いている途中で何故か一般人になってしまいました。 また、普通の少年とのことですが、ある意味思考形態はあまり普通ではないように思うんですけれ ども」
The underlined section is when he said Kyon was suppose to be an ESPer originally.
Old 2007-09-21, 00:27   Link #394
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Hardly seems to matter to me whether he's "ordinary" or not. The fact that he's selectively blinded to himself and his role makes him plenty of a mystery. And he is a slider, in a manner of speaking already since he's already jumped through several different time lines, been inside Haruhi's headspace and the pocket dimension with the Giant Cave Cricket.

From Haruhi's point of view, Kyon probably seems pretty mysterious. I wonder how much of her attraction is a result of the mystery that Kyon seems to embody. She definitely gets some sense of familiarity when she says "You look familiar, have I met you somewhere before?" He probably reminds her uncannily of John Smith, who answered her fervent prayers on the field and suggested the existence of aliens, time travelers and espers and influenced her decision to come to North High in the first place. Of course, Kyon couldn't reasonably be the same person as John Smith, but Haruhi senses that something is unusual here.

And really, with Kyon's special orientation within the Haruhi cosmology, you wonder what Kyon isn't aware of about himself. Haruhi doesn't know about her powers. What does Kyon not know about himself? He pretty much his own endless loop regarding Tanabata . . .
Spoiler for a:
Twisted Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-21, 04:39   Link #395
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Reality View Post
Hardly seems to matter to me whether he's "ordinary" or not. The fact that he's selectively blinded to himself and his role makes him plenty of a mystery. And he is a slider, in a manner of speaking already since he's already jumped through several different time lines, been inside Haruhi's headspace and the pocket dimension with the Giant Cave Cricket.

From Haruhi's point of view, Kyon probably seems pretty mysterious. I wonder how much of her attraction is a result of the mystery that Kyon seems to embody. She definitely gets some sense of familiarity when she says "You look familiar, have I met you somewhere before?" He probably reminds her uncannily of John Smith, who answered her fervent prayers on the field and suggested the existence of aliens, time travelers and espers and influenced her decision to come to North High in the first place. Of course, Kyon couldn't reasonably be the same person as John Smith, but Haruhi senses that something is unusual here.

And really, with Kyon's special orientation within the Haruhi cosmology, you wonder what Kyon isn't aware of about himself. Haruhi doesn't know about her powers. What does Kyon not know about himself? He pretty much his own endless loop regarding Tanabata . . .
Spoiler for a:
Look, I don't mind if you want to be a Kyonist, or whatever else you want to believe. Kyon is an important person in the series, and that's not something anyone disputes. But I don't see why you need to wrap any mysticism around him as a person; he was someone in the right place at the right time, and became very vital to many powerful forces. But there is no suggestion anywhere for why Kyon would be anything but an ordinary person. The author in the novels intentionally made the point repeatedly that Kyon is without powers, because that's what he decided Kyon was to be.

Yes, it matter whether he is ordinary or not. An ordinary Kyon is a Kyon we can relate too, a Kyon we can understand. He keeps all the supernatural events around him grounded and within reach of the reader. This is important.

(p.s. by your own definition, every character in SOS dan is a slider. Thus, when everyone is a slider, nobody is.)
Old 2007-09-21, 18:45   Link #396
shotna13

hi, i'm new here. I've been reading the posts on this thread for some time now and i have some theories ( rather strange i think ) about Kyon
So... here it goes

Spoiler for all the novels, i guess:
shotna13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-21, 19:07   Link #397
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotna13 View Post
hi, i'm new here. I've been reading the posts on this thread for some time now and i have some theories ( rather strange i think ) about Kyon
So... here it goes

There is just one problem with your theory; we couldn't possibly know if any of Kyon's choices was right or not. Decisions Kyon made throughout the novels were never clear-cut. Kyon only truly made choices not for the sake of the universe, but for what he wanted. And that's all anyone expected him to do.

Spoiler for past novels:

In fact, assuming the split-world in the new novel would even be solved by Kyon, it might be the first time we even see an alternative of what could have happened if Kyon made another choice. As I said, there is a chance this might not even be related to him.
Old 2007-09-22, 02:04   Link #398
NagatoYuki
Secluded Member

can the cat at episode 00 really talk?
Old 2007-09-22, 04:48   Link #399
Atheuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotna13 View Post
So... here it goes

Spoiler for Spoilar:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NagatoYuki View Post
can the cat at episode 00 really talk?
Spoiler for Kitty:
Atheuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-22, 05:16   Link #400
shotna13

Point taken. We might never know if any of kyon choices were right or not. I just like how the phrase "the man who always makes the right choice" sounded . However you can't deny the fact that throughout the novels most of the choices involved are left up to kyon. So let me rephrase it: whether he makes the right choices or not will probably never know, however the other characters ( Koizumy, Nagato, Asahina(big)) trust Kyon in such matters and believe he'll be able to make the right decions.

Spoiler for some novels:
shotna13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga