AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-06-26, 10:32   Link #1
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Play PC game while using bit torrent?

I can't check this out right now for myself, but how well does it work to play a PC game like Skyrim while downloading some torrents? I suspect people do this. Does it work out okay? I use utorrent, which I know is light on system resources.
Old 2012-06-26, 11:47   Link #2
sa547
*Author

With enough memory, it's okay to play Skyrim while using uTorrent, as the latter isn't resource-hungry.
Old 2012-06-26, 14:13   Link #3
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Unless you are playing a network multiplayer game, it should work fine.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 18:29   Link #4
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

What do you mean? Do you mean how it'll affect your system resources such as frames per seconds or your ping times?

UTorrent uses so little resources on the system that it won't matter or affect playing Skyrim. If you're download stuff then your Ping times are going to suffer for online or multi-player games unless a you got one of those QoD routers or gaming network cards.
Old 2012-06-27, 10:12   Link #5
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
I don't really understand this thread at all. What makes you think running an program in the background would have any effect in games you play? You probably have msn steam etc. running on background.. Do those affect games? They don't. The only way it would affect is if it was a multiplayer game and even then only if your connection speed and bandwidth is limited.
Old 2012-06-27, 13:23   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The question is how much RAM you have and what generation your CPU is at least.
Skyrim likes a 4GB RAM environment for smooth running under the operating system (64bit OS). More is better. But a typical torrent client takes up very little cpu/ram resources if you've got it throttled right.

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-06-27 at 13:34.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 20:48   Link #7
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The question is how much RAM you have and what generation your CPU is at least.
Skyrim likes a 4GB RAM environment for smooth running under the operating system (64bit OS). More is better. But a typical torrent client takes up very little cpu/ram resources if you've got it throttled right.
What he said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
I don't really understand this thread at all. What makes you think running an program in the background would have any effect in games you play? You probably have msn steam etc. running on background.. Do those affect games? They don't. The only way it would affect is if it was a multiplayer game and even then only if your connection speed and bandwidth is limited.
Not true, some programs such as the notorious Norton Anti-virus programs are a freaking resource hog and would affect his gaming performance if his PC is already low on system resources.
Old 2012-06-28, 01:23   Link #8
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I never used utorrent while playing a PC game that is system intensive, so I didn't know what to expect. My computer is pretty decent, but not stellar.

I know now I can use utorrent with no problem on many games. It wouldn't hurt to upgrade my RAM. I have 4 GB of DDR 3 RAM now (1600). I should double the RAM. It'll only cost $23-$25 for a 4 GB stick of my RAM type. I just haven't doubled it yet since I have no real need for it. Still, it would boost the performance of my computer by some amount, and I'm guessing we'll see some PC games using more than 4 GB of RAM in 2013.
Old 2012-06-28, 03:04   Link #9
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post
What he said.

Not true, some programs such as the notorious Norton Anti-virus programs are a freaking resource hog and would affect his gaming performance if his PC is already low on system resources.
The keyword is IF. If you look at his other thread and find out this specific computer parts there you can clearly tell he is not running low on system resources.

Also Urzu .. There are already games that can use more than 4GB. Skyrim for example. In previous versions you had to use Large Address Aaware (LAA) patch to use more than 4GB but I'm pretty sure I recall the developers patching the game so that it uses more than 4GB by default if available. Don't take my word for that though - But you can still find the LAA patch on google, and I would recommend using it and obviously getting at least another stick.
Old 2012-06-28, 07:29   Link #10
sarnagon
Dreamer of Happiness

You can play any game with Utorrent, but you must know if you want the best performance, close the most programs.

Utorrent use a lots of Internet bandwidth if you download a lots of thinks.

You must know it's use not only bandwidth but also some write space, the data speed what the disk is writing. Every time you get some bits, you disk must write it on a block in your disk. With games the writing data can be higher, also Multi-play games take also source of data write and bandwidth.

Conclusion you can play games, but everything what you computer progress have effect on your performance (every programs a little bit).
sarnagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 11:09   Link #11
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Assuming RAM and IO rates aren't the bottleneck, online gaming performance can be optimized slightly by capping the down/up rates in uTorrent. This allows the torrent to download reasonably quickly while retaining enough bandwidth to allow the game communication with the server.
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote