AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Psycho-Pass

Notices

View Poll Results: Psycho-Pass - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 17 26.56%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 21 32.81%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 29.69%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 7.81%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.56%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.56%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-23, 12:10   Link #41
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Do note that a psychopath does not have to be ax crazy, or even any kind of sociopath.

(if you already know this, know that this is not directed at you)

Last edited by Dengar; 2012-11-23 at 12:23.
Old 2012-11-23, 12:23   Link #42
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Our heroine is a psychopath? Well, if Gen confirms that, the uproar would be huge. That was an interesting angle of looking at things, to say the least. The scary thought is, doesnt it mean that sociopaths and psychopaths would find it easiest to evade the Psycho Pass system?
I should clarify that my previous post wasn't meant to imply that she's a psychopath in the colloquial sense. I do think that Psycho-Pass is probably toying with the idea of what a "healthy" mind looks like. The common traits of the psychologically dangerous are often eerily similar to what we look for in our protectors, leaders and role models.
Old 2012-11-23, 12:39   Link #43
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Actually, it seems to me that nothing fazes her. I mean, she does have a strong opinion about stuff, and she can be surprised and has morals, but her mental state doesn't appear to change at all.

There's a word for this. It's "psychopath".
I'm pretty sure that's nothing like the clinical definition of psychopath. I'm pretty sure that has to do with lack of empathy, inability to relate to other people, tendency to engage in antisocial behavior...

I don't see how not being emotionally traumatized by horrific events (but still being upset by them) makes you a psychopath.
Old 2012-11-23, 12:42   Link #44
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
you really think all bad people were traumatized by horrific events in their youth ?
Old 2012-11-23, 14:09   Link #45
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I like how this is one of those shows that actually uses famous poetry to describe a situation well instead of one that just uses it because it's cool. That went a long way this episode in particular in fleshing out a little more of the world of Psycho-Pass. This show has used it's time extremely well to build up a compelling world, conflict and cast in just 7 episodes and if it keeps it up I'd say it should stand as an example to others, particularly those who plan to or have written for the cumbersome noitaminA block on how not to waste time and pace a show for it.
Old 2012-11-23, 15:08   Link #46
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Honestly, Akane just makes me think of a younger, female, Commissioner Gordon.

In other words, almost unflappable and virtually incorruptible (and believe me, Joker did his level best there).

I wouldn't be shocked if Gen went a darker route with Akane (I mean, it's Gen ), but I'm honestly not expecting it either. I can buy her as that "special" protagonist that just has the right head on her shoulders for what the plot is going to throw at her. In this vein, she reminds me a bit of Kaname Madoka. Like Madoka, she's just gradually soaking up the information all around her, and cautiously evaluating her more impulsive partners while not being impulsive herself.
Old 2012-11-23, 15:25   Link #47
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
I don't see how not being emotionally traumatized by horrific events (but still being upset by them) makes you a psychopath.
Well, I can't really argue this. However, emotional numbness is one of the prime attributes of psychopathy. She's just not clinical.
Old 2012-11-23, 18:41   Link #48
Seihai
スマイリウム

I really hope the girl at the end will survive. ...Who am I kidding?
Old 2012-11-23, 19:22   Link #49
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Akane has really been growing on me,it all started in episode 3 when she showed this face

What I'm sure of is gen is gonna throw a lot of stuff at her (he said so in the same interview as the "no moe" one) but have no real idea how she's going to react,the big difference with Madoka is that she might be soaking in info like her but is doing so by shedding a lot less tears than Madoka in the processs
Old 2012-11-23, 19:42   Link #50
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
I'd like to see her survive too, but yeah, given this is a Gen anime, I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Akane has really been growing on me,it all started in episode 3 when she showed this face

What I'm sure of is gen is gonna throw a lot of stuff at her (he said so in the same interview as the "no moe" one) but have no real idea how she's going to react,the big difference with Madoka is that she might be soaking in info like her but is doing so by shedding a lot less tears than Madoka in the processs
True. That is probably the main difference between Madoka and Akane.

However, I don't think that Akane's general lack of high emotionality is meant to be seen as creepy. Really, it's pretty normal, or just normal for someone with strong mental stability. I just think many of us are so used to overemotional anime girls that seeing a female anime lead handle things like Akane does can seem very strange to us. Again, this is where I think Psycho-Pass' producers really meant it with the "no moe" stuff.

It's also worth considering how almost everybody in the world of Psycho-Pass seems a bit emotionally numb. Nobody seemed particularly disturbed by this "artwork" made out of dead, mutilated girls. Gino seems as low-emotion to me as Akane does.

I think the point here is that the world of Psycho-Pass strongly discourages people to "act out". Crying like Madoka's would get you noticed, and people wondering if you need "therapy". I wonder if people even hold their emotions back when mourning the deaths of loved ones in this world...
Old 2012-11-23, 21:27   Link #51
Kirarakim

Akane is definitely interested in Kogami. Now please note I don't necessarily mean in a romantic sense (and if she is I can't see it end in anyway except for badly).

But I do think she is intrigued & drawn to him. As she (or maybe it was her friends) said he was a lot like her before his Psycho Pass went up because of the murder of his subordinate. I am not sure if that was a premonition or not.

Akane might not follow the same path as Kogami but I do think his quest to catch Makishima will probably draw her in as well. She might ultimately help him and they might catch Makishima. Or perhaps both Kogami and Akane will become more consumed.

Hence I don't really see Akane phased by nothing. She has a level head on her shoulders that's for sure but I still feel Akane will somehow become intertwined in this Makishima/Kogami thing to a dangerous degree (in fact even the opening imagery makes me think that).

I hope that Akane has a good end though, just because she is a smart & intelligent woman and we need more of those as protagonists in anime. I don't mind if she falters along the way though.
Old 2012-11-23, 21:55   Link #52
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Akane is definitely interested in Kogami. Now please note I don't necessarily mean in a romantic sense (and if she is I can't see it end in anyway except for badly).

But I do think she is intrigued & drawn to him. As she (or maybe it was her friends) said he was a lot like her before his Psycho Pass went up because of the murder of his subordinate. I am not sure if that was a premonition or not.

Akane might not follow the same path as Kogami but I do think his quest to catch Makishima will probably draw her in as well. She might ultimately help him and they might catch Makishima. Or perhaps both Kogami and Akane will become more consumed.

Hence I don't really see Akane phased by nothing. She has a level head on her shoulders that's for sure but I still feel Akane will somehow become intertwined in this Makishima/Kogami thing to a dangerous degree (in fact even the opening imagery makes me think that).

I hope that Akane has a good end though, just because she is a smart & intelligent woman and we need more of those as protagonists in anime. I don't mind if she falters along the way though.

I agree with you on Akane definitely being interested in Kougami. And I think it's mostly a mix of professionalism and Akane's basic empathy. In other words, I think there's a light touch of romance to it (I think that Akane finds Kougami physically attractive and also finds his overall personality arousing in some ways), but that's not the main factor in Akane's interest in Kougami. At least not yet.

I think that what Akane finds perplexing and interesting about Kougami is how he's so very different from her in some ways, and yet remarkably similar to her in other ways. Akane sees a lot of herself in Kougami in spite of their obvious differences, and I think that both scares and fascinates her a little.

As for my take on where I think Akane will go overall...

Spoiler for Madoka Magica and Fate/Zero comparisons:
Old 2012-11-23, 22:20   Link #53
Kirarakim

I hope you are right about Akane. Like I said I don't mind if she makes mistakes and falters, that is part of character growth. But I don't want to see her completely destroyed.

The problem is I already start to like the other characters to including Ko, but I think I have less hope for them. I mean we can't have everyone having a hopeful end in a Gen series.

Actually I see Gino having a bad end, as much as you say Akane is flexible I see him as being unflexible, so I am worried about him.

The enforcers also seem to have the type of personalities that Makishima will pry on.
Old 2012-11-23, 22:27   Link #54
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Focusing the entire second act on the killer and her enablers was interesting – it did deprive the regular cast of much screen time, but it was spellbinding stuff. I think this is all building towards an existential crisis for Akane (though still a ways off) where she stares into the abyss and it stares back, and everything depends on how she responds. This society is clearly sick, Makishima is right about that, but surely the answer cannot lie simply in committing enough atrocities to force humanity’s internal engine to restart itself. Akane seems to be a bridge between extremes – an ethical young woman whose unique makeup has confounded Sybil, to some extent – and she will likely be the key to whatever resolution Gen crafts for his latest musing on despair and depravity.
Old 2012-11-24, 01:02   Link #55
Allium
Keep on keeping on

Akane a psychopath - wow, if Urobuchi does choose to take her down that road, I could see it happening, but that would be a really dark twist, and the series would have a more depressing air.

In the opening sequence, at around the chorus part, Akane is shown to be emotionless-looking as she points a Dominator at Kougami, before they stand facing each other as though in confrontation; that part seems to suggest something of those lines happening to Akane. I think there are some more hints thrown around in the OP sequence, but for now I can't really tell how will those hints manifest themselves in the story.

I can actually see Gino being 'broken' in later episodes; he strictly abides by the rules, is strongly against Enforcers, his father a latent criminal - basically he is surrounded by the thing he fears the most, and I can see this being brought up later, where he'll be somehow trapped in a difficult situation somehow relating to that. Another to end up with a Sayaka-ish fate, maybe? I wholly agree with Triple R's points about Urobuchi's 'surviving characters' being flexible and willing to adapt.
Old 2012-11-24, 01:38   Link #56
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allium View Post
Akane a psychopath - wow, if Urobuchi does choose to take her down that road, I could see it happening, but that would be a really dark twist, and the series would have a more depressing air.
Why would that be depressing? Being a psychopath might be what keeps her sane while everyone else loses it.

Maybe that's what it takes to save this world.
Old 2012-11-24, 02:43   Link #57
Allium
Keep on keeping on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Why would that be depressing? Being a psychopath might be what keeps her sane while everyone else loses it.
I find it depressing in the sense that you might have to be a psychopath to survive in that world.

Edit:

I just looked up the 'Bletilla Striata' mentioned in the episode's title; apparently it's a genus of orchids. I thought they were lovely, until I realized that their petals were positioned, if I'm not mistaken, in a way similar to one of Rouichi Oryo's paintings. I think I'm overthinking...

Spoiler for Bletilla Striata:

Last edited by Allium; 2012-11-24 at 22:09.
Old 2012-11-24, 03:08   Link #58
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
The murderer ?
Bercause she is a female ?
Old 2012-11-24, 05:37   Link #59
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I think he means the latest victim's friend who was kidnapped.

When I mentioned the word 'psychopath' I did not mean it in any creepy or depressing ways.

It's just a fact that there exist people who are emotionally unfazed by most things that could potentially mess up others, at least for a little while.
Old 2012-11-24, 07:16   Link #60
Kirarakim

Akane is definitely not a psychopath. Like I said she has a level head but she does show emotion even if it isn't extreme. She also shows empathy both for Kogami and also the rape victim in the first episode.

The only thing that really matches up to the psychopath definition is the lack of stress but I don't think that is enough to label her a psychopath.