AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-21, 07:15   Link #1
Iluvatar

Anime that I should have watched in the past year

Very simple, I'm looking for any anime that you think it was worthy of watching from 2009 to today. Any genre and any length. It can still be unfinished it doesn't matter...
Old 2010-11-21, 07:30   Link #2
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Cross Game should have been required watching in 2009-2010 for any anime fan. Bar none the best show to come out in 2009. 50 episodes spanning the life, love and dreams of an ace baseball pitcher and his semi-reluctant tsundere muse/trainer girl.

And yeah I'm likely not going to be the last one to recommend this so expect a deluge.

Tatami Galaxy is a bit of an underrated gem but as of 2010 itself, it's the best of 2010.

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2010-11-21 at 11:45.
Old 2010-11-21, 08:19   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'd recommend House of Five Leaves, a recent Noitamina show that's streamed by Funimation. It combines a dark, well-written story, excellent voice acting, a lovely and unusual score, and the sense of moral ambiguity that is, to me, a hallmark of the best Japanese anime. Little actually happens in this story though; it's all about character development.

You might also want to peruse this thread for some other ideas.
Old 2010-11-21, 09:51   Link #4
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Oh I recommend:
Cross Game
Bakemonogatari
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

[Edit]

Oh, including those that started this year? Then I second Katanagatari and Angel Beats and also recommend Tatami Galaxy and Durarara!!

Last edited by Haak; 2010-11-21 at 11:00.
Old 2010-11-21, 09:57   Link #5
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Assuming lots of Dialogue isn't something to bother you then I'd say Bakemonogatari and Katanagatari are a must see, both series have a great story, interesting characters, and pretty good comedy too. They share the same source author, so do have a similiar feeling to the show, but are very different.

P.S. Warning 1st and 2nd episodes of Katanagatari are also the slowest, so try up to 3rd for it.

And I'd also say Angel Beats probably.
MAL
Old 2010-11-21, 11:36   Link #6
JRendell
Manga Addict

Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~
Chrome Shelled Regios
Higashi no Eden
Old 2010-11-21, 11:40   Link #7
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Cross Game
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Those two at a minimum.

Others that deserve mention:

Katangatari
Kimi Ni Todoke
Big Windup
The World God Only Knows (although the really good stuff won't be reached this year)

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-11-21, 12:37   Link #8
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Cross Game tops my list, too, followed by House of Five Leaves. I'd also add Kuragehime (currently airing) which is an excellent and often hilarious character study. On the comedy side, I highly recommend Mitsudomoe, Shinryaku Ika Musume (currently airing), Baka Test and Seitokai no Ichizon.
Old 2010-11-21, 12:54   Link #9
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Here are my favorite shows from 2009 upto now, and would recommend to you.

Cross Game
Shin Mazinger Z
House of Five Leaves
Shiki
Kuragehime
Kimi ni Todoke
Birdy the Mighty
Kara no Kyoukai
Rideback
Summer Wars
Tegami Bachi
White Album
Katanagatari
Old 2010-11-23, 13:00   Link #10
ProDigit

last year there hasn't been a lot out.
I've only continued to watch the remainder of the Major, Naruto, Bleach, and Gintama series, some of which come out every week.

I miss good episodes!
If you wanna watch something, perhaps check up on the movies, or go to Hollywood series (like star trek, or something....). Hollywood series have come on par with anime series to me, that shows how far anime has sunk concerning story telling.

I am one of many who believe that the glory days of anime are over.
Nowadays rendering farms can produce beyond what was previously possible only in anime.

And qua story line, it seems Japan more and more falls into the western mentality of creating movies or series that are every day life, spiced up with the traditional superpower forces.
No more stories of how one got more powerful over time through exercise, or stories of exceptional individuals fighting for justice.

Unless you're interested in ecci, and other girly anime...
Old 2010-11-23, 14:11   Link #11
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
No more stories of how one got more powerful over time through exercise, or stories of exceptional individuals fighting for justice.

Unless you're interested in ecci, and other girly anime...
Please go watch some of Katanagatari at least[and some other series like Fairy Tail] before you decide to make such judgmental and wide sweeping claims .
MAL
Old 2010-11-23, 20:12   Link #12
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Please go watch some of Katanagatari at least[and some other series like Fairy Tail] before you decide to make such judgmental and wide sweeping claims .
Cross Game too.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-11-24, 02:18   Link #13
misstery531

u should watch skip beat it is a funny anime and it has a little bit of romance hope u watch it
Old 2010-11-24, 11:20   Link #14
cerrian

Shiroth has a pretty good list there. I especially like his recommendation of Ride Back since it was the most refreshing take on mecha in recent memory. Production quality was pretty high. The only downside was that it was a short 13 ep series.

I'll second Skip Beat.

I haven't seen anyone recommend an ecchi series yet so let me toss Sora no Otoshimono into the ring. For an ecchi/comedy/harem/fanservice, I think Sora no Otoshimono has the competition beat thanks to a very strong male lead and outstanding comedic situations. It may not push the ecchi/hentai envelope to the brink like some other series do, but when it provides fanservice it does so in a very effective manner. As an added bonus,not only is every ED a new animation sequence but the ED song is a new cover of some 80s song. It has been quite fun following the forums every week checking out the original song and then comparing it with the current week's cover. As a side note for those that haven't seen it yet, look up episode 2's ED for what may be one of the more legendary ED you've ever seen.
Old 2010-11-25, 17:04   Link #15
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
On the comedy side, I highly recommend Mitsudomoe, Shinryaku Ika Musume (currently airing), Baka Test and Seitokai no Ichizon.
Concerning these, I say forget Baka Test. At least in my opinion, that show was very weak. The only thing worthy of mention there is Hideyoshi.

But Mitsudomoe, on the other hand, that's a whole another scale. I honestly laughed throughout the whole series non-stop. Haven't had such a good laugh in a long time.

Seitokai's good too. Better than I expected from reading the show's description. Pleasant surprise there. The main character being brutally honest with his harem dreams really adds to that, hillarious guy, he just feels no shame at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
To each his own. I say let the OP watch a few eps and decide for himself...
Why, of course, it's not like I say "You are prohibited from watching this series! Ever!" nor am I bashing you for your preferences.

Just wanted to provide different angles of opinion on certain shows. Both the positive and negative ones.

Last edited by Larthak; 2010-11-26 at 04:01.
Old 2010-11-25, 23:22   Link #16
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

To each his own. I say let the OP watch a few eps and decide for himself...
Old 2010-11-26, 11:14   Link #17
Aqua Knight

Sengoku Basara both seasons
Closed Thread