AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-09-06, 19:53   Link #1
AznHisoka

Why Asian Women Don't Date Asian Men

So, I was reading this article on why Asian women don't date Asian men, and found it pretty amusing but WRONG, for those of you wondering why they don't.. read this girl's opinion.

So, as an Asian guy, I feel the need to get out of lurker-status and let out my anger.. I don't fulfill most of the stereotypes associated with asian guys.. I consider myself confident, somewhat cocky at times (but not to the point of arrogance), and not quiet.. I'm pretty much the class clown, and am hardly the shy type.

Deep down inside, I know part of the article is right though.. Everywhere I go, I see a TON of Asian girls dating men of other ethnicites.. white, black, whatever..

So for all you Asian girls out there.. what is it about Asian men that makes you not want to date them?
For you guys, what do you think is it that makes Asian girls want to avoid dating Asian men?
Or is this article just flat-out wrong?
AznHisoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-06, 21:05   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Everyone is different. People look for certain traits and are attracted to different things. I think many people are attracted to something different than what they're accustomed to, though. I think that in the past, Asian people were much more restricted by their parents and such, and hence they were forced to date other Asians. But as people become more liberal, they're free to go inter-racial, and that has a sort of appeal.

It may also be a fad. It seems like the majority of males in America currently have an Asian fetish - perhaps the majority of Asian females have a caucasian fetish? Just a thought.
Old 2007-09-06, 21:45   Link #3
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Update: I have gotten some negative feedback on this article.. Remember, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I will definitely respect yours.. If you want to refute these arguments, feel free to do so, and I'll post your rebuttal online. Email your "rebuttal post" to me at chang.z.ang@gmail.com and I will put it up =)
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. That's her opinion, you can criticize her all you want.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-06, 21:59   Link #4
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

I hope that's not true, because I am Asian . But as I think about it in New York (which is obviously one of the most diverse area in the world) most people would date their own ethnic group and didn't really see lot of white or black dating Asian. From what I seen people really don't date other ethnic group. So I really doubt what she say is true and where did she get all of her sources? I couldn't find them, so that site in the end is not really creditable.
Old 2007-09-06, 22:19   Link #5
Arrow
N/A

My aunt is married to a Caucasian, I should ask her.

As for myself, I try to break away from stereotypes. Be a little stereotypical, but not because it's a stereotype in itself. (i.e I don't wear glasses because I'm Asian, I wear them because I need my sight - I like anime because I find the story interesting, not because I'm Asian)

Way I see it though, a good girl is a good girl. Ethnicities aside.
Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-06, 22:41   Link #6
CandyVanMan
Part Time Hikikomori

When I ask my wife (Vietnamese) why she picked someone as messed up as me, she often goes into a rant about Asian men that comes across to me as starkly racist. I don't know where her point of view came from, but if I'm the better choice.... Freak'n WOW!
CandyVanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-06, 23:17   Link #7
strung_out

Send a message via MSN to strung_out
That article reminded me of the video "Why Asian guys can't get white girls", it's kinda funny... They actually talk about what Asian girls find attractive about other ethnicities too.

Anyway I can't really agree with that article, I don't find asian girls and asian guys being a rare couple.
strung_out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-06, 23:32   Link #8
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyVanMan View Post
When I ask my wife (Vietnamese) why she picked someone as messed up as me, she often goes into a rant about Asian men that comes across to me as starkly racist. I don't know where her point of view came from, but if I'm the better choice.... Freak'n WOW!
Haha, my mom always told me not to date Korean men because they're all boring, strict, and wear black sockies..... Every single one of my aunts' husbands are like that!! XD
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-07, 00:21   Link #9
WhiteWings

Or maybe people just tend to like and/or want 'things' that are less available or accessible. I mean I've seen plenty of non-Asians go for Asians.
Old 2007-09-07, 00:24   Link #10
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

I will look from the other side.

I have met many people from India, almost all of them were males. Interestingly, all of those males were interested in females from other races. Considering the strong (and sometimes tiresome) traditions that tie them to their country, that is not a surprising situation: to be interested in people without feeling any constraint. I cannot say whether that is the general case or not, but if the females are also thinking the same way, I can say that is pretty normal.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-07, 01:19   Link #11
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

To flip the coin around, why don't Asian men lust after Asian women?

(By the way, what do we really mean by "Asian"? The label has different meanings depending on which part of the world you are from. In the UK, for example, it refers to people from India. In this case, we are presumably talking about East Asians, ie, Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, etc?)

The skewed perception cuts both ways. Maybe it's because Singapore is a little bit more Westernised than most other Asian countries, but I find a fair number of Singaporean men lusting after popular Hollywood actresses such as Angelina Jolie, Charlize Theron, Mila Jovovich, etc. Of course, we have Asian "idols" too, but if we really want to compare differences, then yeah, Asian men look for "size" too. Unsurprisingly, Asian women are "flat" in their opinion.

Does it really matter though? In the end, any relationship is about more than just physical appearances, and Asian women who say things like:

Quote:
[Don't] date Korean men because they're all boring, strict, and wear black sockies.
...do actually have a point. Let's face it, East Asian societies are patriarchal in nature, and unfortunately, many of them still have a tendency to breed misogynist attitudes. It is any wonder then that Asian women don't find many Asian men attractive?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-07, 03:13   Link #12
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strung_out View Post
That article reminded me of the video "Why Asian guys can't get white girls", it's kinda funny... They actually talk about what Asian girls find attractive about other ethnicities too.

Anyway I can't really agree with that article, I don't find asian girls and asian guys being a rare couple.
TBH, I thought about that video also when I read this thread

But I'm pretty sure this is just a difference in opinion. I in fact see a lot of asian girls date asian guys at my school, so im pretty sure it is not a stereotype for everybody.
Old 2007-09-07, 03:15   Link #13
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
really want to compare differences, then yeah, Asian men look for "size" too. Unsurprisingly, Asian women are "flat" in their opinion.
I would take the flat chest over the imba sized females over here... And i'm not only talking about there length but how on earth do they get so fat >.<

And i meh she should just speak for Japanese people instead of whole Asia. I don't think Chinese people think that way. Of the 3 Chinese girls i know 1 dates a Chinese. The other two are single. And damn hell i know they don't consider black people as exotic...

I can relate a lot more to "Why Asian guys can't get white girls" than the blog story.
But that is just meh... And i'm sure other Chinese people have lived more interesting lives than me so far. Though seeing that video, i guess i'm not that different from most Asians/Chinees

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-07, 03:39   Link #14
Ziv

Fyi the two links in the OP's post link to the same thing. You might want to fix that.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-07, 11:27   Link #15
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Risaa's remarks correlate to my (japanese-american) wife's remarks on the subject (I won't repeat exactly what she-who-is-perky-and-cute says but it involves some of the overly-"traditional" attitudes). At least in America, I suspect that some of the interest in dating guys of other races are:
1) Availability ... you have to work with what's available.
2) Personal interests ... at some point it just gets down to the personal tastes of two people
3) The chance to leap away from cultural constraints or tendencies and create your own sensibilities.
4) Xenophillia (love of the exotic/alien) ... that's simply a turn on for many people of all races and gender. It accounts for the *INITIAL* attracting factor. After that, personalities still have to mesh.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-09-07 at 11:49.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-07, 11:34   Link #16
Ending

There's one billion asians. Wonder where they all came from?
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-07, 11:38   Link #17
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Actually there's a lot more.. you're just counting some of the Chinese
Old 2007-09-07, 11:56   Link #18
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
yea personal opinion comes a lot from this ~ maybe the guy just isnt able to score an asian girl himself hence this is his way to let out his frustration

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-07, 11:58   Link #19
Fome

There is a video that talks all about this on Youtube called "Yellow Fever." It's quite popular among the Asian American community. You should check it out.
Fome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-07, 12:00   Link #20
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephi View Post
I would take the flat chest over the imba sized females over here... And i'm not only talking about there length but how on earth do they get so fat >.<

And i meh she should just speak for Japanese people instead of whole Asia. I don't think Chinese people think that way. Of the 3 Chinese girls i know 1 dates a Chinese. The other two are single. And damn hell i know they don't consider black people as exotic...

I can relate a lot more to "Why Asian guys can't get white girls" than the blog story.
But that is just meh... And i'm sure other Chinese people have lived more interesting lives than me so far. Though seeing that video, i guess i'm not that different from most Asians/Chinees
Seeing you live in the Netherlands. I dunno where you live, but in most cities girls ain't that fat. o-O Especially at the shopping districts.

Yeah the vid has more of point then that blog ever will.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote