Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-24, 03:49   Link #1
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Unwanted Family Occupation

Simple really. The protagonist comes from a long line of [something] and is expected by family and friends to continue the line. He may have siblings that are already successful at this family occupation. He may be talented at the job. The problem is. . .he himself would much rather do something else with his life.

Got something for me? Anime or manga, I don't care. No side story, I want it to be a primary conflict.
Old 2010-11-24, 05:13   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Are you following Kuragehime? There's a guy in question that has a family of politicians and doesn't want to become one so he crossdresses. Not sure at this point if it's a primary conflict or a side story, though.
Old 2010-11-24, 09:11   Link #3
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

W-Juliet (manga) fits into your description. The protagonist is the only guy among his siblings, so it is expected that he will inherit the family's dojo. But he wants to be an actor. And so the story begins.
Old 2010-11-24, 13:48   Link #4
cerrian

Try Kurenai if you don't mind a slight twist to your request where instead of a "he" you have a "she" and she is a little girl trapped in a very unpleasant future family "occupation".
Old 2010-11-25, 16:17   Link #5
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Arakawa Under the Bridge and Macross Frontier.
Old 2010-11-27, 13:46   Link #6
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
Simple really. The protagonist comes from a long line of [something] and is expected by family and friends to continue the line. He may have siblings that are already successful at this family occupation. He may be talented at the job. The problem is. . .he himself would much rather do something else with his life.

The main character, Tadayasu Sawaki, is the son of yeast cultivators based out in the country. He has the unique ability to see micro-organisms, in the form of cartoon characters. That makes him tremendously well-suited for his family business, except that he doesn't really want to take up the job, and he is more than glad to leave for Tokyo to pursue an education at an agricultural university.

As most would expect, college life filled with alcohol and debauchery, even as Sawaki and friends try to "find themselves".

Based originally on a manga series, the story was first adapted into an anime, and later into a live-action drama.

Anime OP

J-Drama OP & ED
Old 2010-11-30, 21:04   Link #7
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

That's exactly what I'm looking for, Leaf. I will surely check it out.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Are you following Kuragehime? There's a guy in question that has a family of politicians and doesn't want to become one so he crossdresses. Not sure at this point if it's a primary conflict or a side story, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleo Scanti View Post
W-Juliet (manga) fits into your description. The protagonist is the only guy among his siblings, so it is expected that he will inherit the family's dojo. But he wants to be an actor. And so the story begins.
Thanks for replying, but no thanks to crossdressing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
Try Kurenai if you don't mind a slight twist to your request where instead of a "he" you have a "she" and she is a little girl trapped in a very unpleasant future family "occupation".
Thanks. I looked at the Wiki page and it sounds interesting. I think I'll give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukirosuzuka View Post
Arakawa Under the Bridge and Macross Frontier.
Thank you for the recs, but I'm afraid that I've seen these already.
Old 2010-11-30, 21:58   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I don't know what it is about these sake-brewing families, but young Tarou of Ghost Hound, like Moyashimon's Sawaki, foresees a similar, rather unwelcome, fate. Tarou is still obsessed with his past though, for good reason.
Closed Thread