AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-10-31, 22:52   Link #21
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Maybe the world war 3 is coming up or when the grid fails setting every thing into a thunder dome time
Old 2011-10-31, 23:00   Link #22
HasuMasu
*Artist

Even if copyright bullshit catches up, I don't think it'll touch the forums.
Old 2011-10-31, 23:24   Link #23
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Without intending to diss other anime forums or sites too much, I originally came here from MyAnimeList. That site is great as a database and catalogue and it's also great to see how you're tastes compare to those of your friends. The community though... ugh. I don't think I've seen an anime site with more fanboys and blind haters.

AnimeNewsNetwork is decent, and I frequently go there to check out their reviews to get a more "western" perspective. It's my 2nd most visited anime site actually. Unfortunately, it is is often heavily western-biased (particularly US-biased, as it is a US based site duh) and some of the reviewers like the chief reviewer Zac often raises eyebrows to me. He seems to be the type of reviewer that is stuck in the 80s or 90s and refuses to give modern anime a try. The reason why he is worrying is because he is the main reviewer for ANN. However, there's reviewers like Theron Martin though who appreciates all genres, all time periods and that's great to see. Would like to see him as the chief reviewer of ANN one day.

So if I was being pessimistic, Animesuki is the best forum for me for discussions. Nonetheless, it's got a nice balance of critics and the least number of fanboys/girls and blind haters. I probably visit this site just as much as I check my emails, Facebook and Youtube now .

For a while, I don't see Animesuki going anywhere.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2011-11-01 at 19:49.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 00:05   Link #24
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

What DemiSoda said. I've tried many other anime forums and they merely turned to hentai lovers/fanboys/blind reviewers/flamers/spammers/etc. I never bothered with MAL since I tend to keep the anime I watch stuck inside my mind and am a little too busy to bother with making a list and constantly updating it ANN seems nice, but just couldn't get along with the reviewers all that well. Anime-Sharing is nice as well, the core members of the community are constantly active to post, but you feel left out as a new member. Hongfire is.... We all already know the answer to this. I've been to other forums, but if I list all of them it will take forever.

What I'm saying, is that the community and the forum itself is mature from my PoV. Sometimes fanboyism and sometimes people focus solely on the fanservice for animes. But there are amazing critics, and the community itself is very friendly. The moderators do respond to the community in a positive attitude from what I experience other moderators on other forums do.

Well I can't really get mad at the fanboys since I'm a Shana fanboy myself But I keep that limited to the Shana forums and if the situation allows it.
Old 2011-11-01, 01:53   Link #25
Kyuu
=^^=

As long as this forum can operate relatively cheaply, then this site can just keep on going.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 10:29   Link #26
arias

I look at my ancient join date and think
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 10:32   Link #27
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
i laughed for a good minute. shame so many people missed the reference..
It was either bad writing or bad dubbing.
Old 2011-11-01, 10:49   Link #28
Irkalla
I asked for this

I hope not; I like the nostalgia even if I don't visit it that much anymore.
Old 2011-11-01, 11:04   Link #29
Dextro
He Without a Title

So... Will these forums ever die? I'm pretty sure it'll eventually happen. Will it be soon? Doubt it. The main reason for dying forums is usually tied to the community in them and in particular the stronger figures in said community. Sometimes it's the moderators, other times it's some of the older visitors that drive discussions to the better results just by being there. Luckily I've found that ASuki has plenty of mature members which is something that tends to help keep the discussions civil and interesting. This in turn drives interest in the discussions which keeps people coming back. In addition to that people are pretty friendly 'round here and newcomers are welcomed with open arms instead of mistrust like in some other communities I've seen.

But most important than all that is the anime that olds us together. ASuki has a strong community and as long as there's interest in the subject it covers (anime) it'll keep going strong.

Also: I like it here, it's probably the online place enjoy most coming to and discussing stuff in (even if I don't post that much, you guys just write too much for me to keep up )

There, that was hard to write after witnessing a community I liked and managed die cause the product that got us together was discontinued... twice.
Old 2011-11-01, 12:28   Link #30
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

As long as GHDPro wants to run it and is able to run it, I think it'll do fine (or if he can eventually hand it off gracefully to someone)... monetary considerations may lead to some sort of 'patron system' with some people donating for the cost of operations (this definitely isn't free to run).

Looking more than 5-10 years out is too murky or vague to speculate on.
Old 2011-11-01, 19:26   Link #31
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
The community is the site, if we lose that then otherwise the site will dwindle down and die due to lack in interest in supporting the site, or the fan base drops to a minute number.

For me, I enjoy just lurking(observing) now. Probably will so in the future too.

But like Vexx said, it's up to GHDpro to decide whether he will in the future. I'll always remember my good ol days here

heh :P

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 05:21   Link #32
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Probably will be around until forum format community becomes out of fashion or until ghdpro decides to pull the plug. Been around for ages and imo, the traffic seems pretty healthy and the community is quite diversified.
Old 2011-11-02, 08:59   Link #33
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I'm more likely to stop visiting and posting in this forum than to see it actually "die".

I'm still around.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 23:34   Link #34
Stiletto
Ineffectual Loner

Here is a better question: How long will I be on here? How long before my offline life takes the greatest of effort and priority? Please note Animesuki has a handful of memebrs like Vexx, whom despite a personal life and age still manage to contribute.

Here is an even better question: What will it take to tear this beast called Animesuki down? We're definitely not invincible but what we lack in stone we make up in heart. Which is why if it was ever taken down for any reason beyond being outright illegal it'd be back up in a month (at most, even).

Its arbitrary to think it'll die in our presentmost time. Even if they remove the torrents a mass amount of members will still be accessing the forums.
Stiletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 23:51   Link #35
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

In my personal opinion, one of the factors which allows these forums to endure for as long as it has, is that it possesses a trait uncommonly found on the internet.

Actual enforcement of regulations.

I am very confident that many people will attest to the validity of the GIFT problem. I have seen too many forums drown in their own faecal vitriol.

Anarchy may be fun for an individual, but it makes for a damn poor community of "Me-me-me"s. You can pretty much forget about having a rational discussion in such a situation, which leads to apathy, then lurking, then disappearance.

If I had to take a shot of tequila every time I encountered a forum with apathetic moderation, I would be suffering from liver failure by now (especially game forums... oh gawds, the game forums...). I can honestly say that in all the years that I have been browsing forums, the number of forums that have competent moderation is still countable on my fingers... excluding thumbs.

It's that rare.

Cheers.
Old 2011-11-02, 23:55   Link #36
HasuMasu
*Artist

That's true, modzillas keep us from tearing this place apart.
Old 2011-11-03, 00:04   Link #37
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I hope not. Even though I barely watch anime these days (and certainly nothing that's been released in the past 2-3 years), I like to come here every now and then. It's partly for the people, even though so many that I used to converse with are now inactive; it's largely for the nostalgia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
People, however, come and go. Treasure those connections while they last, because some day you will miss them when you're looking back on the past.
Truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias View Post
I look at my ancient join date and think
Truth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
Here is a better question: How long will I be on here? How long before my offline life takes the greatest of effort and priority?
I joined this forum when I was about 17 years old, and used to come here every day. The activity waned as I progressed through college, waned further in graduate school, and is now waning even further in medical school. I just don't have the time to spend hours keeping up with posts and writing them back, and I lose interest in doing so fairly quickly, as well. Not to mention that anime has practically lost its place in my life, something that I would not have foreseen 10 years ago.

Despite all that, nostalgia is a wonderful, powerful emotion, and it keeps bringing me back. If you spend enough time here, and if you're prone to nostalgic moods, chances are you'll keep coming back to wander the forums and look for familiar user names - even if you only do it once or twice a year. I don't think it's overly common for people to do that, though. I have trouble finding other 2003'ers, and even the 2004'ers seem to be fairly rare these days...
Old 2011-11-03, 00:22   Link #38
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Unless there's a zombie apocalypse/ time-space intervention/ nuclear war/ end of the world then no.
Old 2011-11-03, 00:40   Link #39
HasuMasu
*Artist

"Animesuki will outlive the sun and the moon, as proof mankind existed..."
Old 2011-11-03, 01:43   Link #40
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
In my personal opinion, one of the factors which allows these forums to endure for as long as it has, is that it possesses a trait uncommonly found on the internet.

Actual enforcement of regulations.

I am very confident that many people will attest to the validity of the GIFT problem. I have seen too many forums drown in their own faecal vitriol.

Anarchy may be fun for an individual, but it makes for a damn poor community of "Me-me-me"s. You can pretty much forget about having a rational discussion in such a situation, which leads to apathy, then lurking, then disappearance.
It's that rare.

Cheers.
This in spades. It is what caused me to leave some forums (the mods were aiding and abetting a small herd of trolls) and has had me stick here. The moderation is on par with professional science and technical forums. They keep threads on track (with help from the community), they organize the threads, and people are encouraged to actually participate in a *discussion* rather than just babble and "chatroom it up". None of that prohibits fun and merriment -- it just minimizes the guy who walks into the pub and pukes on your table.