AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2007-05-01, 16:11   Link #1
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Animated sig Addicts Anonymous

Hi, I am Riker. I am an addict.

Well, not really. But most of the sigs I made are animated, so it kinda became my trademark. I don't use filters or brushes, they are overrated and overused (because I don't know how to use them). Instead, I utilise various animation effects in my sigs to bring them to life (because I don't know how to use filters and brushes). I usually don't start threads, so I don't know what came over me to make this one. Anyways, I guess I'll start by showcasing all my previous sigs.

The first animated sig I made, IIRC.

It's from Mizuiro 2003, one of the earlier animes I watched. Nothing special about this sig. It's just a slide show of images. However at that time, I was so in love with the anime, I had to make a sig from it. It was animated because a static version would have a harder time trying to convey the message. The sig is currently being used by martino. :3

Next would be Part 1 of the Shuffle! sigs I've made. Why Shuffle? Because it's the first subforum I've actively posted in since I registered. I've also found out that of all the sigs I've made, most are Shuffle sigs. Why divide them into parts? Because Deathie told me not to make my opening post too huge. :3

Here we go, the sig that arguably started my animated sig career(?!): The Flippy Sig.

Back then, mongooseboi requested for a Asa sig. I tried to be different from the rest of the sig makers, thus I came up with the flippy animation through trial and error. It was the first time I truely felt the hardship of keeping animated sigs under 50 000 bytes. He didn't use the sig in the end though. : (

After the Asa sig, I've also made Nerine's and Sia's version.

What really started the demand for the flippy sigs, however, was when Mugen-X requested a Primula flippy sig for another forum. He bascially told me "There is no sig limit, go wild", which I did. : )

Thus I added a background and a foreground image for the sig and fiddled around with the timing of the flips.

Then by chance, Catgirls pointed out that by reducing the dimension to 375 x 120, the size can be kept under suki's sig limit. More people started requesting for flippy sigs since then and the rest, I guess, is history.

I'll just post all the different variations of the flippy sigs I've made.

I think my opening post is huge enough. I'll leave the next batch of sigs for my next post. :3
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-01, 16:18   Link #2
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Now this is one thread I am really gonna keep checking everyday.

Always been a fan of your sigs and here's hoping you include some of your animated avatars as well.
Old 2007-05-01, 17:03   Link #3
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
yea here comes rika aka the master of animation to start his own corner thread :3

but seriously if you started out with flippy sigs...then you are a natural XD (cause even now i have limited abilities to do moving gifs )

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-01, 17:41   Link #4
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Now, Riker you know I have always been a fan of your work. I think I have given more REP to you than anyone else due to your skills.

But do you only do cute?
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-01, 19:29   Link #5
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Now this is one thread I am really gonna keep checking everyday.

Always been a fan of your sigs and here's hoping you include some of your animated avatars as well.
Thanks! :3
I haven't been making avatars for a while, so I'm not sure if I'll include avaters in this thread.
Besides, if I post all my old avaters I might kill the bandwidth of some people. :x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
but seriously if you started out with flippy sigs...then you are a natural XD (cause even now i have limited abilities to do moving gifs )
Maybe I had too much free time to experiment with the animation. :x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay View Post
Now, Riker you know I have always been a fan of your work. I think I have given more REP to you than anyone else due to your skills.

But do you only do cute?
A quick glance at my folder indicates that majority of the sigs lean towards cute, but I did make some rather depressing or dark sigs. I'll come to them soon.

Part 2 of my Shuffle! sigs

A slight alteration to my flippy animation.
Instead of flipping in one fixed spot, I made it look like its actually moving.

Ama! >///<

The next few are what I would call "avatar sigs".
Just take existing avatars and slap them onto a sig.
Kinda a lazy method. :x

I was experimenting with animation effects other that flipping (which I had done for the umpteen time) and came up with this one shot.

Another experimentation with a different animation effect.

Yet another effect. I kinda like this one, The Rollin Sig.
"Keep Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'~"

Tune in next time for Part 3

"What? There's a part 3?" Yea, I made that many Shuffle sigs. :x
Old 2007-05-01, 20:47   Link #6
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I would love to see some of your old animated and non-animated avatars. :3
Old 2007-05-02, 12:24   Link #7
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Oh very well, I hope I don't kill anyone's bandwidth. :x

Spoiler for Shuffle! avatars:
Old 2007-05-02, 18:28   Link #8
SweetHoney
~Nanchatte Renai
*Scanlator

Nehaaa I've seen alot of things I requested in those avies =) nice Riker I can't rep+ you so I.O.U lolz keep up the good work
Old 2007-05-03, 02:23   Link #9
solwyvern
▲wight
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker View Post
Hi, I am Riker. I am an addict.

Well, not really. But most of the sigs I made are animated, so it kinda became my trademark. I usually don't start threads, so I don't know what came over me to make this one.
With sigs this good, you need a thread.
I remember back when I was still a visitor to A.Suki forums. I'd always check the 'Shuffle!' section for your gifs. They are some of the most creative I've seen.
I even enjoy seeing your avatars, always gave me a good laugh.
Also, I find it very strange that the first sig you made was a Mizuiro one, the first wall I made was also a Mizuiro one.

Quote:
I don't use filters or brushes, they are overrated and overused (because I don't know how to use them). Instead, I utilise various animation effects in my sigs to bring them to life (because I don't know how to use filters and brushes).
Do a barrel roll!
rofl

Avoiding filters makes more unique sigs that stand out.
Old 2007-05-03, 03:20   Link #10
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

yep, if its not animated it has to be done really artistically to get my approval lately.

or it has to be funny

i started out using animated sigs because i like little comics and funny stuff, like a flip book. then people started adding little blinking eyes, etc etc and now I just cant seem to think a seriously dedicated sig as not animated.

its nice to see a mizuiro fan although It didnt not touch me too deeply. I probably just watched it at the wrong time.

i dont make animated avatars anymore though, I leave that to others who really enjoy it. animated or not I can appreciate a nice profile picture

I liked ur flippy sigs but i was really impressed when u did the rolling ones and the water effect and wind effect ones.
oh yeah and the oh noes one was really great too.

what impresses me the most is how u can get them to look so clean and use so few KB. its something I had problems with, I m too lazy to fix all the bad colors when the total colors are reduced

anyway heres a few gifs i made awhile ago
Spoiler:

Last edited by Potatochobit; 2007-05-03 at 03:31.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-03, 04:57   Link #11
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Those are awesome Riker! I like the rolling ones especially, very creative!

Some of your gifs made me laugh out loud Potatochobit. Good sense of humor.
Old 2007-05-03, 05:28   Link #12
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

You should have a dedicated section for corruptive av ... You have a talent to spot them =3

>.> .. Gratz for being Just really nice >.> .. missed by 6 reps >.<

Damn it was so close >.<
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-03, 05:59   Link #13
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

"anonymous"? something is wrong here
obviously riker, you are well known, and you deserve it

the usual stunts you do to keep fluent animation without breaking the dreadful "50kb limit" are simply impressive. this is unfair

*waiting for the rest of the gallery*
Old 2007-05-03, 13:15   Link #14
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHoney View Post
Nehaaa I've seen alot of things I requested in those avies =) nice Riker I can't rep+ you so I.O.U lolz keep up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by solwyvern View Post
With sigs this good, you need a thread.
I remember back when I was still a visitor to A.Suki forums. I'd always check the 'Shuffle!' section for your gifs. They are some of the most creative I've seen.
Wow, I'm didn't know that. I'm honoured, thanks! :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
I liked ur flippy sigs but i was really impressed when u did the rolling ones and the water effect and wind effect ones.
oh yeah and the oh noes one was really great too.
I did a water effect and wind effect sig? ^^?
Nice gifs btw. ( ^^) b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankoku View Post
Those are awesome Riker! I like the rolling ones especially, very creative!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira_Naruto View Post
You should have a dedicated section for corruptive av ... You have a talent to spot them =3
NO U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
what impresses me the most is how u can get them to look so clean and use so few KB. its something I had problems with, I m too lazy to fix all the bad colors when the total colors are reduced
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
the usual stunts you do to keep fluent animation without breaking the dreadful "50kb limit" are simply impressive. this is unfair
I have mastered the Hair Pulling no Jutsu. : o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
*waiting for the rest of the gallery*
Hai~ Hai~

Now for Part 3 (final) of my Shuffle! sigs

Sia and Kikyou jigsaw theme sig

One of my favourite because of the meaning behind the sig:
Spoiler for Anime spoilers:

Next are the kinda dark and depressing sigs I was talking about earlier. That's because the anime took a serious and dramatic turn around episode 19. It's also the time when I started to use footages from an anime extensively in a sig, which kinda became my style.

Yes I know the tear animation in the 3rd sig sucks. ;__;

The first time I've tried to animate snow. I was trying to emulate Primula's scene in the anime ED. The snow is kinda too fast, because I couldn't afford more frames.

Almost 1 year later, I dug up this old sig and added more frames because I was looking for a sig to use. The snow still feels a bit too fast though.

A sig using the scrolling text from the rollin' sig. Nothing too special, just wanted to use the image Ryo drew for me as my birthday present. Thanks, Ryo. :3

And that concludes all my Shuffle! sigs and avatars. Since we're still on the topic of Shuffle!, I'll also post some of the other stuffs I made.

The first (and only) wallpaper I made. Making the dangling wire was the toughest part. :3

And finally, not forgetting my AMV tribute to Ama.

http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=WFYgpk1RZuE
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/memb...o.php?v=102474
Old 2007-05-03, 14:04   Link #15
bigdave
Falling for Ginsama ^3^
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to bigdave
Riker>> O,O Sugoi! Man all ur sigs and avy's and other works are so awesom! ^^
this is one of the threads Im definitely visiting again and again. ^____^

O man SO MUCH Shuffle!

bigdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-03, 14:58   Link #16
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I can't wait till we get to the Kanon signatures - that bunch is my favorite from Riker's gallery of masterpieces (And his current avatar )
Old 2007-05-04, 03:44   Link #17
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave View Post
Riker>> O,O Sugoi! Man all ur sigs and avy's and other works are so awesom! ^^
this is one of the threads Im definitely visiting again and again. ^____^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I can't wait till we get to the Kanon signatures - that bunch is my favorite from Riker's gallery of masterpieces (And his current avatar )
Thanks! It might take a while before I get to the Kanon Spoilerious Siggies though. ^^;;

Now for some Pani Poni Dash! creations. PPD is the 2nd series which I made avatars and sigs from, although I didn't make alot, unlike Shuffle!. In fact, I think I made more Shuffle! stuffs than all the rest of my creations combined. I wonder why. :x

Not forgetting one of my favourite gifs:

Is also an icon for the spoiler button in this forum (for now anyways).

My first PPD! sig. Using the same technique as the modified flippy sig. Somehow, something didn't feel quite right, although I can't really pinpoint the problem. Maybe Klashikari can help? ; )

Thus, I went back to the drawing board to re-design the sig. The result ending up being one of my favourite sigs, because it's kinda fun to watch. Based on the sequence of the 2nd OP (one of my favourite anime OP, go watch!).

Maho! :3

X-ray. :x

Old 2007-05-04, 04:34   Link #18
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
My first PPD! sig. Using the same technique as the modified flippy sig. Somehow, something didn't feel quite right, although I can't really pinpoint the problem. Maybe Klashikari can help? ; )

err? me? you mean me, the one with the useless analyses ? ~~
i think pelli would be more qualified for this ^^' (seriously, animated signature aren't really my field... except if you are asking me some details of the overal look XD)

but, well, if i have to write up, what i feel wrong :
1) the contrast between green and orange/yellow doesn't match at all (at least for me). due the moe aspect of both char and title, i would suggest pink and white but...that's me, and my opinion
2) the background is a nice idea with the rotating picture. however, since it simply cut in half, with the colors with different tones, it doesn't have really an impact. (i would suggest some elements on the brackground, or a real BG...*scratches his head* )
3) this is probably hard to do, and will probably makes the limit problem worse, but the title should "pop" instead of fading in. (due the "moe" aspect of the character and the title, it feels more appropriate for some "toon" movement). an alternative would be the title coming from the left.
4) again, the problem of the size limit : the quality of the rotating pictures are a bit too low (or is it a filter? it is hard to distinguish the outlines), and the title is blurry, and jagged in the same time :x
5) the font of your nickname doesn't match at all.

well... this is how i could pull my head on it... hope wasn't too harsh or completely out of the whack
Old 2007-05-04, 06:13   Link #19
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Color, loop and optimization.. in short.
Color -- not a good choise for that scene IMO
Loop -- seems to snap. Timings a little off too I think.
Optimization -- It almost looks like she's filthy and dirty.

There are also small things like the hair (one of the most important and expressive parts of a anime character) is just one big lump of color.
Old 2007-05-04, 06:52   Link #20
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Ah, thanks for the critiques. ^^

In my defence, that's how it was in the OP. Green and orange. As for the one big lump of colour for the hair, the actual outlines for the hair is of a very similar colour. It's barely visible even in the original size, hence seemed non-existent when resized. The second version of the sig is better, no? (I hope). :x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgAeaj-KyTY

I still love the OP very much though. It just oozes with style. :3

Tags
animation, signature