*** 6 9.38%
**** 7 10.94%
***** 8 12.50%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-01-19, 09:23   Link #1
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

Episode 168 Discussion

Welcome to this week's episode discussion thread posted on Wednesday, or soon after, since it airs on that day in Japan.

Thread guidelines:

* No telling/asking where to find raws/subs.
* No mentioning of group names.
* No spoilers.
* No off-topicness.
* Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
* Discuss your comments on the episode.

Just to make it clear there is to be no making new topics about the two last guidelines cited above. They will be systematically closed down because this thread was created so all the posts regarding these topics would be in one place.

Furthermore, please remember that only moderators can start the episode discussion threads every week.
Old 2006-01-19, 09:33   Link #2
avangion

Episode 168 Synopsis: Naruto and Chouji went to Ichiraku Ramen stall, but it was closed. They sneaked in and found Teuchi, the noodle-man, researching a new recipe. Chouji found the new soup good, but the noodles do not match the soup. Teuchi collapsed and was looked after by Sakura. Ayame, the noodle girl, was kidnapped 2 weeks ago by Hakkaku, a ryounin (cooking ninja who think about making good food during missions) who wanted the legendary recipe, but Teuchi did not have it, and Hakkaku refused to believe him.

Naruto and gang decided to help, and Teuchi taught then how to make noodles. They met up with Hakkaku to meet a challenge to feed 100 ryouri ninjas. Naruto made a flour model of Kakashi and Sakura flew into a rage, leading to a remake of noodles. Naruto used Rasengan to mix the ingredients and make a flour model of ero-sennin, causing Sakura to pound it with her strength. Chouji used his Bubun Baika no Jutsu to make the noodles. Hakkaku said that they must abide by “first come, first serve” basis, and since the 100 ryounin showed up about the same time, Naruto used Kage Bunshin no Jutsu to serve them all at once.

The ryounin were out of commissions, because they got too fat to move on the tree branches. That’s why they wanted the legendary Akuma Recipe. But it was actually the akunuki recipe, used to remove bitter taste from food. Ayame was released, but she became fat due to over-eating at the ryounin’s food. Teuchi had a new diet ramen, allowing Ayame to recover her slim shape, but Teuchi became skinny from the new ramen.

Episode 169 Preview: “Memory, the Lost Page”. A new story arc with a mission by Naruto, Ino, and Shino, led by Anko to confront the “Large Sea Devil”. RM Preview also available here.

DB Fillers Countdown: To continue for another 12 weeks.
avangion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 09:42   Link #3
AkatsukisApprentice
Akatsuki's Apprentice

Oh man, I watched the episode, I have absolutely nothing good to say about it...as usual. People who are of a weak disposition or have suicidal tendencies, please refrain for watching this episode, the animators can't guarantee your safety/state of mind, after watching this episode.

in case you have not seen the episode yet (which is already subbed):
Spoiler for detail on a scene from the episode guhhhh:

At least next week there looks like something interesting might happen...bah who's kidding

(p.s kudos to Avangion for making a nice synopsis)
AkatsukisApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 10:16   Link #4
Yûyake

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkatsukisApprentice

in case you have not seen the episode yet (which is already subbed):
Spoiler for detail on a scene from the episode guhhhh:

At least next week there looks like something interesting might happen...bah who's kidding

(p.s kudos to Avangion for making a nice synopsis)
Spoiler:

However, at least we see some improvement of Sakura streaght and a bit of Choji ability.. some part are a little funny... But i guess the best part of this ep. is when its over, the previous also got me confused... did i imagine some people that its been a while we havent see them? Hope so!
Yûyake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 10:42   Link #5
unwill

Omg, what did they do to Ramen-girl (aka Ayame)
unwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 10:53   Link #6
Corn
Gotta kill 'em all!

I will actually give this 2/5.

For several reasons:

- It was a uniqe concept
- There was some decent humor
- Some classic elements. Old memories and interaction between Naruto and Sakura was retained, as well as the old raman house.

But like the other episodes... Filler was horrible, story was lame, the new "bad" character was totally generic, was just 100% pointless.

I love Naruto but I dont think I can on with this for 12 more weeks... However, this episode is much better than the previous arch which hit an all time new low.
Corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 11:06   Link #7
Spectrum
Bene Gesserit witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn
- It was a uniqe concept
*NOT* a unique concept. In case no one's figured out yet, the entire episode is a giant parody of Yakitate Japan (look at the frelling reactions when people eat the delicious ramen or the Solar Hands style inspiration that Naruto gets). Still, I enjoyed it for the change of pace. At least it's supposed to be funny and comes reasonably close, as opposed to the previous filler which try to be serious/dramatic and fail horribly.
Spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 11:39   Link #8
monir
cho~ kakkoii

The TV rating for Naruto is suffering as it has dropped out from the top 10 list of shows that aired between Jan 9 to Jan 15, as shown in the Video Research web page. At the same time I want to watch this episode after reading Avangion's hilarious synopsis. "Should I cross the line?" is what I need to decide for myself.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 11:40   Link #9
hmongstang

that's it! this is my last goodbye to the anime !
hmongstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 12:16   Link #10
SniperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum
*NOT* a unique concept. In case no one's figured out yet, the entire episode is a giant parody of Yakitate Japan (look at the frelling reactions when people eat the delicious ramen or the Solar Hands style inspiration that Naruto gets). Still, I enjoyed it for the change of pace. At least it's supposed to be funny and comes reasonably close, as opposed to the previous filler which try to be serious/dramatic and fail horribly.
The whole story line is a bit hit and miss. Man I don't think I can wait until summer for some good episodes from the manga.
BTW Spectrum where did you get your avatar from, I don't recognise the anime.
SniperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 12:18   Link #11
Spectrum
Bene Gesserit witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperMonkey
The whole story line is a bit hit and miss. Man I don't think I can wait until summer for some good episodes from the manga.
BTW Spectrum where did you get your avatar from, I don't recognise the anime.
FMP: TSR avatars thread. Unfortunately, I don't remember who made it so I can't give them proper credit and I'm pretty sure the thread was lost in the reset. ;X

EDIT: Whaddya know, people found the archive.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26796
So, thanks to evil-samurai. ^_^v
Old 2006-01-19, 13:09   Link #12
unwill

Quote:
Yakitate Japan? Well , I wouldnt say so. It is a Cooking-grene which most of solar-reaction etc is used. I wouldnt say that anyone is "copying" anyone here. Cooking Master Boy from 1997 had many of those explosive reactions aswell.
unwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 13:14   Link #13
Spectrum
Bene Gesserit witch

Okay, I suppose that's fair. (Even the Solar Hands schtick? Geez...) Even so, it's the only example in really recent memory, so the accusation can be made, if one cared to.
Old 2006-01-19, 13:29   Link #14
AkatsukisApprentice
Akatsuki's Apprentice

Quote:
Okay, I suppose that's fair. (Even the Solar Hands schtick? Geez...) Even so, it's the only example in really recent memory, so the accusation can be made, if one cared to.
I suppose you could classify this episode as a really really bad episode of Yakitake Japan....I never really noticed the similarities until you picked up on them. I guess the similarities clicked with me when Naruto got red hands (similar like solar hands) and the crappy reactions when those ninja were eating the ramen

Surely animators can think of something better? Hmm someone voted this episode 4 stars Serious lack of judgement running there
Old 2006-01-19, 13:52   Link #15
Shinobi_Lucas

Send a message via AIM to Shinobi_Lucas Send a message via Yahoo to Shinobi_Lucas
Meh I gave the episode a 2 out of 5. Nothing really interesting, but it made me laugh. Look at it this way...we are almost to march anyway.
Shinobi_Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 14:05   Link #16
AkatsukisApprentice
Akatsuki's Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobi_Lucas
Meh I gave the episode a 2 out of 5. Nothing really interesting, but it made me laugh. Look at it this way...we are almost to march anyway.
12 weeks to go (11 weeks and 6 days) = 12th April 2005 that is mid April

We're still in January and we have one more episode this month So much for being almost to March
Old 2006-01-19, 18:10   Link #17
sceeZer

Send a message via MSN to sceeZer
OMFG!!!! that was the shittiest ep of naruto ever. and this is coming from a guy that hasent really had a problem with any filler other then the norimusha. naruto ninja cook off? LOL... dont know how to put a spiler tag on stuff and this is the anime section so guess ppl read this to descuss the ep... rasengan on noodles?!? this is a move the blows grown ppl 30m back and burn their bodies, still it doesent even rip the noodles apart. pure crap if you ask me. not even funny at all.

one positive thing though: seems like sakura is improvi9ng a bit although i fear she will become a tsunade clone since her strength seem to grow like tsunades did.. aww well i will keep watching just cuz i dont have anything better to do really

BTW bleach fillers CANT be this bad lol
sceeZer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 18:24   Link #18
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Breaking news

U.S. Goverment declares the use of Grunge Rock ineffective against terrorist prisoners in Guantanamo Bay, Discovery of horrible Japanese anime reportedly used as replacement. Suicide Rates skyrocket.

Seriously, This episode was just...So..Friggen painful. I just wanted to shove a spoon up my ass to get my mind off the pain.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 18:32   Link #19
The Valeyard
Kikaichuu!!

Send a message via MSN to The Valeyard
I've often been a fan of these 'stand alone' episodes, as in the past they have been quite funny.

However, this episode was just a pain to watch. Everything about it was crap, from the animation to the storyline.

At least next week it should be good...

well Shino's back....
The Valeyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 19:04   Link #20
Ziv

Quote:
but this tries to be serious too! if they had dressed up the villians in ridiculous outfits and actually tried to be funny, it would've gotten a 4/5. It's a great idea, but horrible implementation.

AND IT'S SO STUPID!!!!!
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote