3 out of 10: Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10: Painful 8 6.25%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-11-14, 08:24   Link #241
Itadakimasu!
tsun tsun lover

Send a message via MSN to Itadakimasu!
Well... Billy IS a man.... Sumeragi is a particularly well-endowed woman... there was alcohol... and it wasn't as if she was a stranger. He could have been using it as a pickup line :P. Seriously though, given the history between not only Billy and Sumeragi but also the old guy (forgot his name) ... I'm not surprised he would spill even a little. Besides, I'm not even certain that they're trying to keep their anti-Gundam activities entirely secret. It's probably more like Delta Force...we know they exist, but nothing else.
Itadakimasu! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-14, 08:56   Link #242
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Maybe, for all we know, Billy is actually in on the CB's plans.

I know, VERY long shot, but hey.
Not that long a shot. That conversation could have meant "report to our masters that things are proceeding as planned. I am now in the anti-gundam unit."

Or maybe "I know you're a CB spy. I'm in a position to know all kinds of interesting stuff. Now, what are you waiting for to use your feminine wiles to make me betray my country? Come on, I'll even throw in the tab!"
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-14, 10:22   Link #243
Geass
~Power of the King~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
He certainly violated operational security. This is rather common in Gundam shows so it's not really that strange. Besides, we got a rather decent scene out of it, so I don't mind that much either.
That entire scene seemed highly suspicious to me. Billy, an intelligence agent, stated that he was part of an Anti-Gundam unit and named the person who was in charge of it. Something is going on there.
Old 2007-11-14, 10:23   Link #244
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
The scene of Sumeragi while looking hot is not really distracting and I completely agree about Dragonaut. Dragonauts G-Cup trio is just so stupid looking it's hard to take anything in it seriously. Makoto Uno's Witchblade/Masane Amaha was a character with really large breasts but nowhere near the level of his Dragonaut Garnet/Makina/Professor Chick trio. What went wrong with him between the production of Witchblade and Dragonaut, did he not get "any" in the 18 months between them?
Sumeragi's cleavage is nice to look at when nothing else important is going on...

And speaking of that topic, who's the girl in your sig, Westlo? Is that Tifa?
Old 2007-11-14, 11:15   Link #245
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh
Not that long a shot. That conversation could have meant "report to our masters that things are proceeding as planned. I am now in the anti-gundam unit."
I sort of doubt this since there were much subtler ways of passing that information to Sumeragi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One
IMHO it looks like he kind of suspected her to be part of CB and just wanted to check her reaction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geass
That entire scene seemed highly suspicious to me. Billy, an intelligence agent, stated that he was part of an Anti-Gundam unit and named the person who was in charge of it. Something is going on there.
Perhaps. I sort of get the feeling that the scene is meant to simply tell us that Billy and Sumeragi had a past, and that he's rather comfortable in her presence.

Off-topic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86
It's Kannu from Ikkitousen, otherwise known as Guan Yu of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, a.k.a. the God of War.
Old 2007-11-14, 12:42   Link #246
osmium
of high density

I think I have some experience that is pertinent to the whole situation with Sumeragi and Billy. The government employs a lot of scientists that deal with sensitive information. But scientists are notoriously talkative among themselves. They're usually in it simply to expand knowledge or do something that's never been done. Who you are working for and what you are working on, are basically the two big things to talk about with people, especially other people in the field, or related fields. Corporate people are far more tight lipped than government scientists in general. I've certainly learned far more from just helping someone out with a project via letting them use a piece of my equipment than Billy gave away. On the type of projects that require one to sign out all equipment (even if it's just simple benchtop electronics stuff) that deal with sensitive secret projects (not sure on the clearance required, probably just secret, generally research is hard to keep top secret these days, so few people in any given field, people would *notice* if the top 3 authorities in a given field just disappeared from publications, and it seems sort of moot to try to do cutting edge research with second rate researchers...).
Add alcohol, previous familiarity, and the on the ball media in 00 and it's certainly not that weird. "Oh I'm working for our old boss now, you remember old prof a" and "I'm working for an obviously public knowledge entity" (given that any time they clash with celestial being, the media will be there to soak up the info, it seems far fetched that the anti-gundam unit could be anything other than public)... And while I actually would love it if there were another pretense, Billy is basically the scientist / engineer type, so I'm not so sure he has the sorts of social interaction skills that such smooth operator / james bond like double talk would require. Granted of course, *having* such a good "cover" for the conversation would make it all the more sweet when it is revealed that there were undertones...
-O
osmium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-14, 12:44   Link #247
mikeabundo
mikeabundo.com

Send a message via ICQ to mikeabundo Send a message via AIM to mikeabundo Send a message via MSN to mikeabundo Send a message via Yahoo to mikeabundo
Is Billy bi?
Old 2007-11-14, 13:17   Link #248
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeabundo View Post
Is Billy bi?
I'd like to know how you think we'd have the answer to that.
Old 2007-11-14, 13:31   Link #249
mikeabundo
mikeabundo.com

Send a message via ICQ to mikeabundo Send a message via AIM to mikeabundo Send a message via MSN to mikeabundo Send a message via Yahoo to mikeabundo
Arrow Pimp Bi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I'd like to know how you think we'd have the answer to that.
One sub has him saying he "fell for" Graham. Now here he is flirting with Sumeragi.

Those are two of the sexiest characters in the series. If he's bi, then he's one pimp bi.
Old 2007-11-14, 13:44   Link #250
Tangerine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeabundo View Post
One sub has him saying he "fell for" Graham.
Bad sub...
http://www.darkmirage.com/2007/10/22...lation-errors/
Tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-14, 14:04   Link #251
mikeabundo
mikeabundo.com

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
Oh, okay. That would've been awesome, though: the first openly bisexual man in a Gundam series.
Old 2007-11-14, 14:26   Link #252
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Well, maybe he is. You never know.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-14, 15:00   Link #253
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
Sumeragi's cleavage is nice to look at when nothing else important is going on...

It's Kanu from Ikkitousen, she's only in 2 episodes of the first season. I'm tossing (/groan) up whether to wait for dvds of the second (where she is more of a main character, look up the ED for Ikkitousen Dragon Destiny on youtube/stage6 if you like her) or just getting the censored fan sub version.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-14, 16:34   Link #254
U<3Anime
Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I'm not sure if I understand your argument. Who's saying that "Gundam 00 is unrealistic, therefore it isn't any good"?

I read through the thread again and you're right. Majority of people seem to have no problem with it. My bad for making a fuss over it. I was actually only referring to a user back in episode 5 and Honey_and_Cleaver

Starting with a certain user back in episode 5: He was saying how ridiculous it was that Dyname's cannon can shoot from earth to space. Then he goes saying it's unrealistic because particles wouldn't be able to stay together along with some scientific babble, which I found it silly. Since, this is Gundam and it's pretty much known for it's unrealistic technology. Like why the hell would you try to imply real life science into a Gundam show? "How the hell can the particles stay intact?" Well, they can build Gundam, why can't they have the technology to build a cannon to shoot from earth to space? Where's the fun and point of watching an anime that is unrealistic to begin with and you try to nitpick at the details of realism? It sounds like it was the user's first time watching Gundam. I mean we have newtypes, psycho frames, beam funnels, genesis, moonlight butterfly and etc......So I don't find it ridiculous or surprising one single bit.

Similar case with Honey_and_Cleaver and is the whole reason why I posted a post about the whole complaining about realism thing. Here are his quotes

Quote:
The only time i really did went "wow" was when Grahams Flag shot Exia out of the sky.

As for Exia cutting the clouds in half was totall bull, just because a cloud can look small from below the sky, doesnt mean its small enough to cut in half.Thats exactly how the producers perspective when they made this anime.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oxrplMC0pKs

Ever watched Evangelion???? Remember how Unit-00 threw a freaking spear from earth, pierces the atmosphere, flies into space and reaches right to an angel? Exia cutting cloud is nothing when compared to that. =/ Remember this is Gundam and they're pretty damn close to super robots. That's why they are in Super Robot Wars. =D

Quote:
Ok,next time Dynames can shoot mercury down,Virtue can blow up the sun and Kryios can warp speed into alien galaxies, because they all look small down below.
Oh come on, you know they are not going to get that far with Gundam
Old 2007-11-14, 16:38   Link #255
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Episode 5 Dynames >>> Kamehameha is something to worry about, IMO.

The worry here isn't that something's unrealistic. We all have suspend our disbelief when we watch any sort of show. The point here is that some of the things they're doing in this show are going above and beyond what we're accustomed to, even for a Gundam show.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-14, 16:40   Link #256
Geass
~Power of the King~

Lightbulb

Whoah! I was just doing some looking around the internet, and I certainly found something interesting. Moralia is Monaco! The geography is almost identical! The Port of Moralia corresponds to the Port of Fontveille and the "Found a port" corresponds to the Port of Monaco.

So that makes:

Taribia = Venezuela.
Moralia = Monaco.
Old 2007-11-14, 17:20   Link #257
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post

The worry here isn't that something's unrealistic. We all have suspend our disbelief when we watch any sort of show. The point here is that some of the things they're doing in this show are going above and beyond what we're accustomed to, even for a Gundam show.
You sure about that? How many Gundam incarnations have you seen?? You seen Devil Gundam in G? You seen Moon-Light Butterfly in Turn A? You seen DOUBLE X (GX) shoot mini-atomic mushroom clouds Einstein never meant to be created? You seen the Newtype Dolphin?? Man I'm telling ya, I don't know how much you've seen dude but I've seen it all and let me tell you if 00 is beyond what Gundam fans are accustomed to then Gundam fans don't know jack...

If you ignore the context of realism in each Gundamverse when making statements like this, you miss the boat...
Old 2007-11-14, 18:33   Link #258
duotiga
Zander Yuusha Kyorugold

Send a message via ICQ to duotiga Send a message via MSN to duotiga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
with so much dosage of beer/wine
duotiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-14, 20:04   Link #259
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I think the whole Sumeragi Breast fixation is more blown out of proportion then the FMP/Wing comparisons at the moment. I still don't see why people are making such a huge deal over the scene. It passed by me on my first viewing as barely being worth a note or mention...

...If they wanted to make a big deal out of Sumeragi's breasts then they probably would have had her jiggle a bit like with Meer, but that was just a close up (one that was a profile shot and not gratuitous) of a rather low cut shirt she has worn once, and was probably tricked into wearing by Christina anway. I barely consider it fanservice and rank it on maybe a 2/10 on the service shot-o-meter, with Wang's outfit in the first episode being about a 8/10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by U<3Anime View Post
Sumeragi cleavage is not as distracting as most people claim it to be. If you want a real example of "IN YOUR FACE" cleavage then you should watch Dragonaut where those boobs really distracts the show.
No I think you guys missed my point...I'm not arguing that the Sumeragi scenes are distracting because they ARE fanservice...I'm saying it's distracting because it ISN'T fanservice (thus there is no point to have the character house such juicy and voluptuous boobies)...If her boobs are huge and they don't want to fanservice them then cover them up...But if you want a scene of a commander to be taken with the utmost seriousness then you're gonna have to not make me think about what showing the boobs so overtly really means...

In UC and more recently in CE, fanservice is prevalent in a context to suggest it has a definitive purpose...Whether it be Murrue taking a hit in the Capt. Chair and having a wobble moment, Cagali's bra-strapped breasts showing the audience she's no longer a flat-chested tomboy, or Meyrin lifting her shirt to help Athrun out, it is done with the purpose of being fanservicey, hence it's not as distracting IMO because it is suppose to be noticed (or purposely distracting)...

In UC it's more natural but still very evident...From Fah showing her naked a$$ in Zeta, to Usso taking baths with grown-a$$ women and using their boobs as pillows, to everything Char does with younger girls , it all has some basis in the fanservice area...But in 00 it's like they want me to ignore something I would gladly accept in fanservice form....That makes it kinda distracting as I ponder whether to take it with a grain of salt or be sexually swayed by it ^^...

Yeah this sounds like a bit much to verbalize (Not to mention somewhat depraved ), but when I saw Sumeragi in that "I Dream of Genie" top with the twins practically hanging in there by the grace of Jesus Yamato, I would have liked to see some creative or artistic fanservice since they are being so showy about it...Instead I'm thinking about why they didn't fanservice atleast one of her scenes instead of being so matter-of-fact about a clearly racy outfit for a commander...00 seems to be doing this with other characters aswell...I'm just saying stop half-stepping and have some fanservice if you wanna introduce a few alluring characters...Keep in mind subtle fanservice can be just as good as gratuitous kinds (and obviously both can be creative in presentation), but I don't see either style in 00 really...I do however see loads of potential for it...

Sighs, please pray for me for writing such a long post on this ...
Old 2007-11-14, 20:41   Link #260
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post

Huh?

As far as I've seen, 00's only "fantastic" element are the GN Drives, and even then they're portrayed quite realistically.

And many previous Gundam shows have far more over the top fare.

UC: The very concept of Newtypes and their shown effects i.e. Psychedelic ghost apparitions, telepathy, telekinesis (try finding something more outstanding in Gundam than a mobile suit singlehandedly pushing away a giant asteroid using its own psychic power), even Wings of Light. UC also has its fair share of technical wierdness (massive wheeled battleships in V anyone?)

G: It's... G Gundam. It's the most over the top and unrealistic of all Gundams (that's why it's considered a Super Robot show instead of Real like the others).

Wing, X: Portable MS-sized Superweapon Cannons (Colony Busting Twin Buster Rifles and Satellite Cannons).

Turn-A: Moonlight Butterfly, the most destructive weapon in all Gundam. Not to mention highly advanced Nanotechnology.

SEED: Mirage Colloid technology and its spinoffs (like the Geschmeidig Panzer), Phase Shift, 150 meter Katanas (seriously, my namesake rocks), and Akatsuki's Yata-no-Kagami armor, and Colony-cutting swords?

----

Compare these two Gundam 00, where he have... GN Drives? This would be Victory Gundam level tech for sure, and the inkling of newtype-like phenomenon, but otherwise there's nothing in 00 that has yet to surpass anything before it in terms of hyperbole and "unrealism".

I'm also not sure what Dynames >>> Kamehameha is supposed to mean, seeing as all Dynames did was double-wield his weapons. I think you're referring to Virtue and its GN weapons, in which case it's firepower would be around Wing Gundam... and even then, it's portrayal is more believable due to its size, bulk and limitations.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote