*facepalm.jpg*
*Author

Send a message via MSN to USB500 Send a message via Yahoo to USB500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defron View Post
I thought it already hit the galaxy.

Also the Mars impact is now 1 in 25
This is one interesting event to watch.

On related note, I just watched the History Channel's The Universe's episode (Life and Death of Stars) last night. I never thought there can be star-to-star collisions, and I was like "oh crap, if that is to actually happen now " when they showed the CG movie of neutron stars colliding.
USB500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-02, 19:37   Link #203
Satomi87
Banned

Will the black hole ever come near to earth in future?
Satomi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-02, 20:37   Link #204
mist2123
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mist2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satomi87 View Post
Will the black hole ever come near to earth in future?
if we pass into one and get pulled by its gravity. If one passes by its will be probably 1/10^19. The chances of having a micro black hole created in earth is much higher that passing to into one.
mist2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 01:55   Link #205
anti-random
We want chicken tonight

I remember an article on black holes and how CERN scientists are creating micro ones. Of course these micro black holes are to unstable to exist for more than a few millions or something of a second but they have existe on earth.

Thanks Sephi
anti-random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 08:44   Link #206
innominate
hiatus almost permanent

I think, micro black holes are primordial, arising from irregularities from the initial states of the universe, (because 'modern' black holes come from massive star collapses, thus are massive).

iirc they have been theorized but yet to be observed/confirmed. Supposedly, they emit intense X-ray and gamma ray radiation. With regards to what anti-random has to say, I don't know; I've not heard about it before.

With reference to the other question: will a black hole ever come near to earth in the future?
Well, I don't suppose so. Not while humanity is still alive. Some close black holes to us are Cygnus X-1 and Sag A, both of which are really far away. Besides, black holes lose mass over periods of time, so it's not really possible for black holes to like, swallow up galaxies as seen in scifi texts.
innominate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 16:45   Link #207
Robotnik
Not a member

"Must-See Meteor Shower Friday Morning"

Not to derail the current discussion on black holes and the possible Mars impact...

Quote:
The Quadrantid meteor shower is due to reach maximum in the predawn hours of Friday, Jan. 4. The Quadrantids are notoriously unpredictable, but if any year promises a fine display, this could be it.

Indeed, this may end up being the best meteor shower of 2008.

The Quadrantid (pronounced KWA-dran-tid) meteor shower provides one of the most intense annual meteor displays, with a brief, sharp maximum lasting but a few hours. The timing of peak activity favors Western Europe and eastern North America. Weather permitting, skywatchers in rural locations could see one or two shooting stars every minute during the peak.
According to the International Meteor Organization, maximum activity this year is expected on Friday 1:40 a.m. Eastern Standard Time.

For those in the eastern United States, the radiant will be about one-quarter of the way up in the east-northeast sky. The farther to the north and east you go, the higher in the sky the radiant will be. To the south and west the radiant will be lower and the meteors will be fewer.

From Western Europe, the radiant will soar high in the east as the peak arrives just as morning twilight intervenes.
Article here

Hoping to see some tonight, missed the last meteor shower due to snow.
Robotnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 17:03   Link #208
Kensuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-random View Post
I remember an article on black holes and how CERN scientists are creating micro ones. Of course these micro black holes are to unstable to exist for more than a few millions or something of a second but they have existe on earth.
Perhaps it was about Large Hadron Collider, which is currently under construction at CERN, and scheduled to go online next May.

Also the change of asteroid impacting Mars has been lowered to 1 in 28 (or in other words 3.6 % change of hitting, 96.4 % change of missing).

Quote:
"It seems likely that as additional observations further shrink the uncertainty region of this asteroid, the region will no longer intersect Mars and the impact probability will quickly drop to zero."
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-04, 02:24   Link #209
Defron
Soy Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotnik View Post
Not to derail the current discussion on black holes and the possible Mars impact...

Article here

Hoping to see some tonight, missed the last meteor shower due to snow.
I was hoping to see something, but so far I have seen diddly squat (nice amount of cloud coverage, plus I am on the west coast of the US) nor do I expect to see any. Oh well nothing I can do except hope the next meteor shower will be more favorable for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensuke View Post
Perhaps it was about Large Hadron Collider, which is currently under construction at CERN, and scheduled to go online next May.

Also the change of asteroid impacting Mars has been lowered to 1 in 28 (or in other words 3.6 % change of hitting, 96.4 % change of missing).

Quote:
"It seems likely that as additional observations further shrink the uncertainty region of this asteroid, the region will no longer intersect Mars and the impact probability will quickly drop to zero."
Poo, I was hoping that the odds would increase, but I was pretty certain it would go down (most sites and articles said it would).
Defron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-13, 14:12   Link #210
JustInn14
moo

Sorry to revive this thread, however, there is a Lunar Eclipse of the moom on the 20th of January, So, I thought I'd like to tell everyone about it. http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclips...2008Feb21.html Here is some information about it.
JustInn14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-25, 21:16   Link #211
Kamui4356
Aria Company

NASA's latest Mars mission, the Phoenix Lander has successfully landed on Mars. It's mission involves searching for ise just beneath the surface and organic chemicals that could be evidence of life existing or once having existed on Mars.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/space/0...der/index.html

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/phoenix/main/
Old 2008-05-26, 15:41   Link #212
Kensuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
NASA's latest Mars mission, the Phoenix Lander has successfully landed on Mars.
I watched it live on NasaTV. Exciting stuff.

Addition: Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter took this picture of Phoenix lander, while it was on its way to surface. You can see the lander under the parachute and even the parachute wires.

Looks like we are returning to Moon around 2020, and there has been talk about manned mission to Mars around 2030. But how about this idea: One-Way Mission to Mars: US Soldiers Will Go.

Last edited by Kensuke; 2008-05-26 at 15:53.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-08, 23:09   Link #213
markesellus
Undercover Mole
*Graphic Designer

In other random news, This year is the 40th celebration of the Apollo 11 mission.

markesellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-08, 23:30   Link #214
innominate
hiatus almost permanent

And it is also the 400th anniversary since Galileo's discovery/ies.
innominate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-12, 21:18   Link #215
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
Doing Something Stellar

The question is have you recently done anything pertaining to the stars and space? If not, how long ago was your last astrological activity and what did you do? I'm leaving this very open ended.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The short answer for me is: yes, I have. Today early morning (August 12), I went to glimpse the annual Perseid meteor shower for the first time. It's been years since I stood in one place to look at the stars.

Spoiler for the long answer, better understood if you know how to drive:

I really should start a blog. Why bore others needlessly?

After doing this, I think most people will see this as a bogus waste of time. And I think they're right to a certain extent. When you see one going by, you're like "Wow!" But then you stand there cringing your neck waiting for the next one to be found five minutes later (only you just weren't looking in the right direction two and a half minutes ago). In the end, I've decided that meteor showers are best done after dinner when you've plenty of hours available with a beach chair, a can of fizz, and a buddy to talk to. Because without something like a radio or an mp3 player, meteor showers can get really boring!
Zaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 19:38   Link #216
Joojoobees

Exclamation New Evidence that Dark Flows connect us to larger Multiverse

Hi, folks, I saw this amazing story a couple of days ago, and was wondering if anyone knowledgeable might comment:
Quote:
After using two additional years' worth of data and tracking twice the number of galaxy clusters, "we clearly see the flow, we clearly see it pointing in the same direction," said study leader Alexander Kashlinsky, an astrophysicist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland. "It looks like a very coherent flow."

The find adds to the case that chunks of matter got pushed outside the known universe shortly after the big bang—which in turn hints that our universe is part of something larger: a multiverse.
As a bonus, here is an interesting collection of 6 Space Oddities of the Year So Far.
Old 2010-10-15, 09:28   Link #217
An4rchy99
♥ Ophy~chan ♥

Did not know such a thread existed. Too bad its not active that much now
Out of all the astronomical information, for me the most fascinating facts is about the existence of extra solar planets (esp the recent discovery of near Earth mass planets).

I always love nebula and star cluster images. I am an amateur star gazer myself
Old 2010-10-15, 10:08   Link #218
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
Hi, folks, I saw this amazing story a couple of days ago, and was wondering if anyone knowledgeable might comment:

As a bonus, here is an interesting collection of 6 Space Oddities of the Year So Far.
That's fascinating. The universe still has so many mysteries to offer. I love this video because it puts everything into perspective and Carl Sagan is just phenomenal at describing the place we have in the universe:

ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 01:03   Link #219
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by An4rchy99 View Post
Out of all the astronomical information, for me the most fascinating facts is about the existence of extra solar planets (esp the recent discovery of near Earth mass planets).

I always love nebula and star cluster images. I am an amateur star gazer myself
Been here 1 1/2 years and I never knew about this thread...

Anyways... Your into amateur astronomy An4rchy99, small world me too (no pun intended w/Carl Sagan video above... but that clip has long been a fav of mine). I personally use a Orion XX12 dobsonian... though I confess to not having used it in the last 6 months due to a move. (it's in the basement behind tons boxes at the moment. (so i feel very rust at the moment) What you use?

BTW if anyone has any astronomy question the best person to ask would be Aimless. Since he actually teaches astronomy at the college level. I may know some stuff (even the math behind the headlines) but his knowledge makes mine look pathetic and he's proven it to me a few times.

Last edited by Ryus; 2010-10-16 at 01:24.
Ryus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 03:19   Link #220
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by An4rchy99 View Post
Yeah, I don't know why it is so dormant. I guess the tie between Anime and SciFi used to be much stronger decades ago. Maybe people don't care as much about space any more.

BTW, here is some astronomy news from last month:
Quote:
The new Slooh "map the universe" layer integrates Slooh's Space Camera technology and worldwide network of powerful robotic mountaintop telescopes with the Google Earth application. Anyone, regardless of age or skill level, can explore outer space in real-time and play an active role in mapping the universe.
Link to press release
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote