Spoiler for Episode 4 - Tajima:
Spoiler for Regarding Tajima:
Seleria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-05, 15:41   Link #62
masama
use the fōrks ~

hmmm, am I the only person who thinks episode 4 is
Spoiler:

This is by no means dissing Ookiku Furikabutte, its just this type of anime that depicts a sport in a "normal" way just doesn't work well on me.

I still think the character's interactions are very well done though.
masama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-05, 16:22   Link #63
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masama View Post
This is by no means dissing Ookiku Furikabutte, its just this type of anime that depicts a sport in a "normal" way just doesn't work well on me.
I'm the opposite in which I prefer it when they do adhere to a bit more realism. Ookiku Furikabutte does very well in this respect. There's a good bit of attention given to the game itself in the little things that it shows in comparison to the others where the game is given a more serious look. Examples of good attention to detail, Abe's thoughts as he strategises the pitches he wants from Mihashi to take into account each batter that comes to the plate, and watch Tajima in Episode 4 as to how he deals with batting a forkball. You seldom see that in a baseball anime. Props to them for giving the attention to the game and its mechanics rather than overwhelming and washing over the technicalities with spectacular action and performances. This is not to say that I don't enjoy those (e.g. Major) either (as I do treat those as guilty pleasures) but it's not my preference when you can weave in more realism as Ookiku Furikabutte has done.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-05, 20:35   Link #64
mooshishi

Baseball 'science' that isn't making sense...

I'm an avid baseball fan, and so far have thoroughly enjoyed the one episode that has been brought to us by Saizen/Entropy. However, I felt the baseball "science" was total BS. Does anyone else agree?

They translate "massugu" and "straight" interchangeably, which makes me think they're talking about a fastball. So essentially, "There isn't a straight among Mihashi's pitches" means Mihashi doesn't throw a fastball (or at least, a straight [little movement] pitch); so far, that makes sense, since we see Mihashi's 'floating fastball'. But then Ren says "A straight is a breaking ball. A straight is a ball that you apply a clean backspin to when you throw. According to the list, it's a breaking ball. Normally, that way of throwing would be drilled into you, but Mihashi hasn't received that coaching."

That makes no sense. What is a "straight" exactly in American baseball terms? It sure as hell isn't a four seam fastball, which is what Mihashi's not-fast fastball seems to be-- an illusory "rising fastball" (it appears to float because his other pitches are slower and he applies a clean backspin on the ball, making it drop less than a two seamer) that he combines with great breaking pitches and superb control (a la Maddux).

But you simply cannot call a four seam fastball a breaking pitch. Anyone want to explain what is going on with Ren's explanation?

PS I found that the manga explained it better, but still not totally clearly.
mooshishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-05, 21:35   Link #65
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooshishi View Post
I'm an avid baseball fan, and so far have thoroughly enjoyed the one episode that has been brought to us by Saizen/Entropy. However, I felt the baseball "science" was total BS. Does anyone else agree?
I disagree with it being called total BS. It's a bit off from what I understand but it does get some of it right. They are calling a glass half-filled with water as being fairly filled with water. Not exactly true and neither is it false. However, your calling it total BS is like calling that glass half-filled with water as being totally empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooshishi View Post
They translate "massugu" and "straight" interchangeably, which makes me think they're talking about a fastball. So essentially, "There isn't a straight among Mihashi's pitches" means Mihashi doesn't throw a fastball (or at least, a straight [little movement] pitch); so far, that makes sense, since we see Mihashi's 'floating fastball'. But then Ren says "A straight is a breaking ball. A straight is a ball that you apply a clean backspin to when you throw. According to the list, it's a breaking ball. Normally, that way of throwing would be drilled into you, but Mihashi hasn't received that coaching."

That makes no sense. What is a "straight" exactly in American baseball terms? It sure as hell isn't a four seam fastball, which is what Mihashi's not-fast fastball seems to be-- an illusory "rising fastball" (it appears to float because his other pitches are slower and he applies a clean backspin on the ball, making it drop less than a two seamer) that he combines with great breaking pitches and superb control (a la Maddux).

But you simply cannot call a four seam fastball a breaking pitch. Anyone want to explain what is going on with Ren's explanation?
Let me take a stab at it...

Abe (not Ren as Mihashi's given name is Ren, i.e. Mihashi Ren) is in a certain literal manner correct in calling a straight a breaking ball. Hear me out first. A straight does fall in its trajectory due to gravity - thus actually breaking when you consider that a breaking ball is one that moves sideways or downwards and the straight does technically move downwards (especially so when not thrown at speed). When a straight is thrown at faster speeds - hence, "fastball" - the downwards/gravity effect is minimised over the same distance. With Mihashi's slow pitching, the straights are slow enough that it would be subject to gravity even more over the same distance. Thus, with Mihashi's slow pitching, the straight is not a straight as in a fastball but one that breaks downward more than usual.

If you read further ahead in the manga, Kanou draws a diagram to show Oda the flight path of Mihashi's straight. A part of it was show when Kanou was explaining the difference between a fastball and a change-up in Episode 4.

I do not know whether Mihashi is throwing a four-seam fastball when he throws his "straight". Your assumption is that because it is an illusory "rising fastball", it is common understanding that it is a 4-seam fastball pitched at a faster rate which thus gives the perception of a "rising fastball" due to prior pitches which are slower and thus drops more sets up the mind to be tricked into thinking that the faster 4-seam fastball is actually rising. I'm thinking that it has the same effect that when Mihashi throws so many slow pitches and then a straight with lots of backspin that it would seem to drop slower and thus the illusory effect arises of a rising/floating ball. [However, I did do a slow-motion check and it does look like they drew a 4-seamer.]
Old 2007-05-05, 22:38   Link #66
mooshishi

I didn't re-read my post, I definitely did not mean "total BS" (which came off as sounding aggressive when I didn't mean to) nor did I review names for a show I watched 2 weeks ago , hence the name confusion. My bad.

As for what Abe meant, I agree with you; the problem with his definition is that he's just too literal. With his definition, every pitch would technically be a breaking ball. Think about this-- even a sinker, like Derek Lowe's, is still considered a fastball, because the considerable break on it is still much less than that of a curve ball (a traditional breaking ball). My other problem is that it would be completely impossible to add enough backspin to a 62 mph fastball to make it float-- even a 95 mph four-seamer drops only slightly less when tons of backspin is applied (4 seams = more friction = more spin). So how do you throw a really really slow pitch that floats and doesn't drop at the end?

In the end, trying to make sense of his explanation is hard because you have to draw the line somewhere as to what to call a breaking pitch and what not to.

But I guess the explanation makes sense, IF you allow for the fact that they don't explain why or how Mihashi's straight floats. Maybe a weird knuckleball? Magic? Hehe, I don't know, but it would be really hard to hit when you think about his other breaking pitches and great location.
mooshishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-07, 19:42   Link #67
blu chocobo

I've only watched the first episode so far.... and I'm already loving it! I've never wanted to watch something this badly! XD Gosh! The boys are so adorable!! *.*

Ah... everything is so beautiful
blu chocobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-10, 08:05   Link #68
Seleria

Talking

The Ookiku Furikabutte manga won in the Kodansha Manga Awards! XD

If you guys are interested, you can read more here.
Old 2007-05-10, 17:31   Link #69
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Ooo... just watched Episode 5. Enjoying it a lot.

Spoiler for Episode 5:
Old 2007-05-11, 13:01   Link #70
Seleria

It is kinda late, been busy with work. Anyway, just posted details of episode 04. ^^
Old 2007-05-12, 01:00   Link #71
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Having watched up to episode 5 in Chinese of this anime, I have to say it presents a completely different way of portraying baseball compared to Major. It's quite unique in the fact that there are no skipped innings in baseball, and each on bat carries a lot of feelings and emotions behind it.

The BL tendencies make me wonder if this is drawn by a woman.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-12, 10:11   Link #72
Katapan
俺様祭り

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart View Post
The BL tendencies make me wonder if this is drawn by a woman.
Yes, Asa Higuchi is a woman. I've also recently learned that she graduated from Hosei university where she studied psychology, more precisely sports psychology if what I read is correct. That probably partly explains how the character development can be so interesting and well-done, she clearly knows what she's doing.

Onto episode 05: I couldn't resist and spoiled myself to the manga up to chapter 4 the other day, so any possible surprise was gone. But I enjoyed this part in the manga, there's no reason not to like the adaptation when it's done so well.

Spoiler for Episode 05:

I'm glad to see that there is no drop in animation/art quality. The characters never look off, everything moves nicely. The backgrounds also get more enjoyable if you get to watch the show in 16:9. Too bad the BS-i broadcast happens 2 weeks after the TBS one.
Old 2007-05-12, 11:43   Link #73
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by leongsh View Post
Ooo... just watched Episode 5. Enjoying it a lot.

Spoiler for Episode 5:
Considering that I don't even know there is such a term called Slider in terms of pitching and I am a total newbie in terms of baseball, this show really made me interested in baseball and the likes. I was really enjoying Episode 5, especially during the sequence when

Spoiler:
Impz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-12, 14:53   Link #74
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impz View Post
Considering that I don't even know there is such a term called Slider in terms of pitching and I am a total newbie in terms of baseball, this show really made me interested in baseball and the likes.
That's the great thing about most good sports anime (and Ookiku Furikabutte is shaping up to be an extremely good one so far) is that there is no real need to know much about the game when you start watching. Just watch as is and you'll pick it up via the story. The poor ones, in my book, though will really dumb down the sport, misrepresent the sport itself and make the it look ridiculously over the top - I'm looking especially at you both, Prince of Tennis and Eyeshield 21

In Ookiku Furikabutte's case, they are doing a very good job with the sport without sacrificing story, characters and believability - i.e. the key ingredients - to be woven in with the sport at high school level being the canvas for the show. It is giving out simple technical information about baseball as it goes along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impz View Post
I was really enjoying Episode 5, especially during the sequence when

Spoiler:
Spoiler for a minor correction:

Last edited by leongsh; 2007-05-12 at 15:15.
Old 2007-05-12, 15:14   Link #75
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Just had a chat with the [Saizen] project leader, Scab, on their release. They will be releasing Oofuri only on 16:9 (widescreen) now with the 4:3 (full screen) format set aside. Certain work done on the 4:3 format episodes are being redone for 16:9 episodes. I didn't ask when they will be ready for release as it's considered very impolite to do so.
Old 2007-05-12, 18:57   Link #76
Kazuki`
Saizen Staff
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Kazuki`
Quote:
Certain work done on the 4:3 format episodes are being redone for 16:9 episodes. I didn't ask when they will be ready for release as it's considered very impolite to do so.
Karaoke needs some fixes, hence the 'delay'.
Kazuki` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-15, 11:24   Link #77
Seleria

Quote:
That's the great thing about most good sports anime (and Ookiku Furikabutte is shaping up to be an extremely good one so far) is that there is no real need to know much about the game when you start watching. Just watch as is and you'll pick it up via the story. The poor ones, in my book, though will really dumb down the sport, misrepresent the sport itself and make the it look ridiculously over the top - I'm looking especially at you both, Prince of Tennis and Eyeshield 21
I agree with you in that, it doesn't take a jock to actually appreciate this show. Lol @ comment on PoT. Though I only managed to watch a bit of PoT, I kinda enjoyed it, but treated it more like a show with superpower elements than a sports-themed one ^^

Quote:
Tajima is really one of the things that make Oofuri fun. He just plays the game with much gusto. Although mostly he is there for comic relief, but not just that. He has mad baseball skills, yet he doesn't boast about it. He's always happy, but when he is on the field or on the plate, he really shines. I wonder if we'll see him sad or angry in future episodes, that would be interesting.

Spoiler for fun stuff in episode 05:

Anyway, for those interested... episode 05 summary is out ^^

Now to await for episode 06 ^^
Old 2007-05-15, 11:35   Link #78
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

Quote:

In Ookiku Furikabutte's case, they are doing a very good job with the sport without sacrificing story, characters and believability - i.e. the key ingredients - to be woven in with the sport at high school level being the canvas for the show. It is giving out simple technical information about baseball as it goes along.

Spoiler:
Impz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-20, 20:16   Link #79
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Many thanks to Saizen for episode 2 - they clearly have the doubleheader of fansubs down, with Major. The two series make an interesting bookend - very different approaches to the baseball theme, with very different leads.

Ep. 2 was interesting. Some of the dialogue caught me a bit, er, by surprise ("Oh no - I forgot to masturbate!") and some of the pseudo-scientific brain chemistry stuff was on the bizarre side. Still, the characters are interesting and I'm curious to see how things progress from here.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-21, 19:33   Link #80
dieseltrain

i've seen up to episode 6 raw and the first practice game is like watching a dragon ball z fight, the practice game, i believe started on episode 3 and still ongoing. i totally love this show, i hope the main character gain some guts soon though.
dieseltrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, seinen, sports