AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-09-28, 23:37   Link #1
Kyouria

How do you think of original names as IGNs (gaming)?

So I started up a new MMORPG but I can't seem to think of any names to use for my character (elf). Suggestions are welcome; combinations of japanese or korean name, or a oldern english (classy) name. Thank you(:

But on that note:

How do you think of original names as IGNs (in-game names)?
Kyouria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 00:42   Link #2
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Seems like we did this topic in the Games thread.... but combinations of foreign words that reflect your character's personality sometimes do the trick. Like if he's hot-tempered, see what that means in different languages to see if something looks interesting.

I've seen too many lame-ass names in MMOs so anyone who's actually trying to think of a good name garners good karma.
Old 2009-09-29, 00:54   Link #3
Jaden

Who actually makes up original names? Even when people name their own children or pets, we borrow names from others. And that's just fine.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 01:08   Link #4
Alchemist007
*Author

I try, usually come out asiany. Tenshirou - random off the top of my head, probably the name of some anime character but none that I've seen.
Old 2009-09-29, 01:23   Link #5
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

I once checked a guide on gamefaqs that had a whole section devoted only for tips on how to come up with original names for your characters.

I'll try to remember wich one is it.
Old 2009-09-29, 08:23   Link #6
Cipher

A Good Name? Helftarephil Cvar Coliph. I just think randomly and come up with something weird/interesting. Though this forum name "Cipher" came from Matrix and Ace Combat Zero.

Another Random one I'm making up right now is Lefthash Filioroll Phi and another one Zy Peta Karn and another one Shi Pen Harumungken and another one Hinge Colinth and another one Trifle Smirks and another one Vlatski Restov and another one Jivi Kopon and another one Kih Yoruda....

That's it: randomly make up something. Original names are the best.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 09:53   Link #7
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I always used my last name in MMO's, not too original but you'll at least be different (unless you have a very common last name, I guess).
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 10:01   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Who actually makes up original names? Even when people name their own children or pets, we borrow names from others. And that's just fine.
Well, if they aren't at least unusual --- there's a 99% chance that someone else has already taken the name in the MMO. That's what the OP is trying to avoid but wants a unique name that isn't lame or gibberish.

More than the hundred variations on Gandalf (Jandolf, Gandoof, etc) or an archer named "Archer" ... the keyboard spazz names tell me the user doesn't really care (Salutations, safja;fjdk!)

I've got a list of names I use repeatedly in MMOs which amazingly haven't been taken... they're short, easy to spell and actually evoke something about the character. And no, I'm not sharing
Old 2009-09-29, 10:04   Link #9
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Try these names. I used them myself for RP's I used to be in, doubt I'll use them again:

Riko Fultyre
Moroku Taiemo
Kai Narhalus
Lars Tenchu

As for how I come up with them is actually beyond me even. They just come to me.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 11:11   Link #10
LynnieS

I usually go with something that reflects my playing style and/or character. And really basic. For example, I went with "tsumi" (for my elf girl "Templar" character) in "QoD"; she's fast and does a lot of damage when I arm her with a pair of assassin nails (think: Wolverine's claws) while running around slower people. Did I mention I like basic?

One of the oddest names that I had seen was "Banana Juice" - but in katakana - for "Kizuna". The player just wanted to have some fun...

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 11:24   Link #11
Cipher

Before I understood what names are for, I usually went with "aaaaaaaaaaaa" for my game names. I didn't know how to read or speak english yet so you can't blame me....Anyone else have the same experience?
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 13:29   Link #12
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouria View Post
How do you think of original names as IGNs (in-game names)?
As Vexx said, we had a similar thread in the Games sub-forum, but that was more of a poll topic about whether players keep default character names.

In my case, I give every RPG character I create a different name. No name is ever reused, because every character I create is unique, and his or her name becomes forever associated only with him or her.

That's possible only because I spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about each character's backstory before I create them. I usually prefer RPGs with a compelling story, and such games typically come with a highly developed "history". From there, it's usually possible to discern the pattern or convention which the creators use to name their non-player characters. I then adapt the pattern to my characters' names. Of course, I also use my own imagination, and adapt real-world names to suit the game's setting.

If all this sounds unnecessarily "hardcore", well, it is. But, you see, my characters are always more than just a set of numbers to me; they are something more — they are "real" people, in a creative-fiction sense. Creating a character is almost like a labour of love, so it's not hard to see why I take extra care in coming up with a meaningful name for him or her.

Examples:
  • Final Fantasy XI: Islien d'Avignon
"Islien" is adapted from "Ithilien", a region of Gondor, the kingdom of men from The Lord of the Rings. Islien was a human child adopted by an exiled knight from the Kingdom of San d'Oria. "Islien" was not his original name — his adoptive father renamed him after a legendary forest in their world. As for his last name, "d'Avignon", it is a reference to Avignon, a real city in France (San d'Oria is inspired mainly by the high chivalry of mediaeval France). The city was involved in a number of papal disputes during the Middle Ages and Islien's adoptive father left his homeland because of religious reasons, so that's why I thought of using "Avignon".
  • Persona 3: Makoto Hayashi 林誠 ("forest", "sincere")
It's a Japanese RPG, so I wanted to use a "genuine" Japanese name. "Hayashi" is a very common surname in Japan, and I wanted something related to forests, so that's why I picked it. I imagined my character to be a sincere person, who treated everyone he met as honestly as he could (if you know Persona, you'd also know how ironic that could be). So, it didn't take long to choose "Makoto" as his given name.
  • Magic the Gathering (Online): Lind Merovin
Lind focuses on "blue-white" magic, which is typically associated with blue skies and open seas. So, I took his name from Charles Lindbergh, the famous American aviator. For his last name, I wanted something vaguely Celtic, so I adapted it from Merovingian, a dynasty of French kings.

So, I hope the above examples give you some ideas. If you're really stretched for inspiration, try visiting baby-name websites, like this one, which lists names by their culture/country of origin. Most importantly, though, just have fun. I wouldn't be doing any of the above if I didn't enjoy it. So, if a simple name is all you can think of, then go with it.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 13:38   Link #13
Thingle
Banned

Just name him NoNameGuy. Naming after asian names is quite pathetic, especially if there are real asians around IMO.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 15:22   Link #14
Alchemist007
*Author

How's it pathetic? It's just a game.
Old 2009-09-29, 15:51   Link #15
Thingle
Banned

Well, as an opinion I am not obliged to explain it to you. And I shall exercise that privilege right about now.
Old 2009-09-29, 16:15   Link #16
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

I have my old standbys I've used since D&D and the text based MUDs...

I used to use my real name (Cheyanne) but once WAR was published and it was in the game credits, I stopped, because I didn't want people putting 2 and 2 together.
The names I kept reusing on DAoC (and subsequently WAR) were:
Alyn, Kyriee, Tiiji, Glenna, Shaianne (I know, it may as well be Cheyanne ffs), Chaelyn, Ceallach, Szandora, and others. Szandora is taken from Anton Szandor LaVey, the founder of the Church of Satan, but otherwise it's just stuff I put together. Tiiji MIGHT have a meaning somewhere, or it may be jibberish, who knows.
RPG names've been several of the above, as well as stuff like Elysia (after the Elysian Fields), and varying other things... Once in a while I do actually poke around researching a name like I did Mandisa, which is swahili for something I can't remember now...

I've never really had issues coming up with names for things, though. I had more trouble coming up with my legal middle name than I did for RPGs and such LOL.

If there's a symbol, animal, etc that appeals to you, google varying languages for a name. Or heck, stuff letters together into something that's aesthetically pleasing for you. It's YOUR character after all, so YOU are the one who has to like the name, bugger anyone else.

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 16:20   Link #17
Thingle
Banned

Whenever I play RTS it's usually CCCC or Maximus. The former when I still played tiberium wars.
Old 2009-09-29, 16:37   Link #18
JRendell
Manga Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
Before I understood what names are for, I usually went with "aaaaaaaaaaaa" for my game names. I didn't know how to read or speak english yet so you can't blame me....Anyone else have the same experience?
Lol yeah, I used to be like "Ah I cba to sit around thinking of a cool name. AAAAAA will do, lemme kill something!"
JRendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 16:41   Link #19
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

I pretty much just take stuffs around me when I name my characters. Some have similar sound, like when I play ragnarok, I named my crusader Crushacker (people kept asking me if I was a hacker) and my sage Syke (sike was already taken, i think).

I also combine my name with my favorite anime character's name, mixing up syllables a bit.

Other cases are more situational, like when I played NeoSteam and used a race whose head looks like a bun, I named it BunHead. This is not character's name, but for Warcraft, I put my profile name as TeaCup, which came out of nowhere (it's probably because my username starts with "teachop").

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote