AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-09-03, 01:21   Link #41
klare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithfalath View Post
This is downright absurd... How cruel.. Now I hate China...
do u hate Japan because their army bombed your country in WW2? not all Japanese is like that right? same should apply to China, this does not represent all Chinese

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
Let's just say that you will surprised how much Japan and USA copies from other countries as well.
agreed, but what the pics showed is totally copy and paste...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post
Spoiler:
u may wanna be more specific as there are other Chinese TVs outside of China
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 01:57   Link #42
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

The similarities are annoyingly striking. >_> I guess they made that rip-off after a month or two of Photoshopping the scenes frame by frame.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 02:23   Link #43
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
The similarities are annoyingly striking. >_> I guess they made that rip-off after a month or two of Photoshopping the scenes frame by frame.
Does anyone remember this? XD

Spoiler:
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 02:46   Link #44
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

^lol, its not like american animations/cartoons are that much better
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 03:33   Link #45
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
^lol, its not like american animations/cartoons are that much better
Americans copied Haruhi too?

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 03:52   Link #46
qwertyuiopz

i lold
qwertyuiopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 11:14   Link #47
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
You will be amazed how many times Japan plagiarized things from Korea, without giving credits. For instance, Character design and some of clothing design of Five Star Stories is a total rip off of a manwha artist's work from early 1980s. Here is a link that shows some of her work starting from 1980, 6 year before Five Star Storyies

http://lambiek.net/artists/h/hwang-mi-na.htm
That is very interesting never knew about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Tell that to half of Asia, or say it in Chinatowns all across the USA, or Japanese fantasy authors who work with Chinese themes, or innovative manhua authors, or all those who worked in countless Three Kingdoms spinoffs, or...
Don't forget of that probably the most influential anime/manga was base on an old Chinese novel.
Old 2009-09-03, 11:32   Link #48
Vampire
Birth by Moonlight

Send a message via MSN to Vampire
Well, this just added another reason why I rather be Japanese than Chinese. What a disgrace. /facepalm
Old 2009-09-03, 11:50   Link #49
X10A_Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
some of them did make high quality ORIGINAL animation styles that had yet to be seen

why didn't they cooperate with the said Japanese studios instead? as like with the other country's studios like Korea, France, & Russia?

well currently, most of today's shows are a cooperation between korean & japanese
There's an anime on the "Three Kingdoms" story coming in Autumn 2009 which is a collaboration between a Beijing and Japanese anime studio.

Those 5cm per second/shin-chan copies look just like all the Toyota clones on the roads in China!
http://veniceorigination.blogspot.com
X10A_Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 12:31   Link #50
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. How could USA plagiarize a Japanese Super Sentai series called Zoo Rangers, using stock footage from the said series to make some highly popular show for kids? How could they do this to a show I don't really know about and don't really care either?? They're EVIL! I Hate USA! /sarcasm

^Only joking. But yeah. It's not like it never happened before.
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 13:35   Link #51
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. How could USA plagiarize a Japanese Super Sentai series called Zoo Rangers, using stock footage from the said series to make some highly popular show for kids? How could they do this to a show I don't really know about and don't really care either?? They're EVIL! I Hate USA! /sarcasm

True, but the American blenderizer actually *purchased* the license to do it. None of these knockoffs paid the creators of these packages a dime and its a virtual 1:1 rip. The Haruhi knockoff comic just posted is jaw-dropping
Old 2009-09-03, 14:33   Link #52
sa547
*Author

All right, as much as I find this effort disappointing, let's not overblow this "this country ripped off another" line. I'm thinking that not all Chinese animation studios don't just simply take someone's work frame-by-frame -- I'm pretty sure that even some Chinese are also secretly disappointed about this government-sponsored imitation of 5cm.

In one way or another every piece of creative work is based on another work, but several steps removed from the original. There is, of course, that classic phrase "imitation is the best form of flattery", unless there's copyright involved and no royalties to the original author or there's intent to insult its creator.

At any rate, I wonder how does Makoto Shinkai really feels about his work being cloned wrongfully.
Old 2009-09-03, 15:46   Link #53
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post

plagiarism: the unauthorized use of artwork from another show, passing it off as ones own with no credit or compensation to the original.

Power Rangers: the authorized, licensed adaptation of the concept of the work of another which openly discloses the source.

Surely you can see the difference..?

Old 2009-09-03, 15:50   Link #54
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
plagiarism: the unauthorized use of artwork from another show, passing it off as ones own with no credit or compensation to the original.

Power Rangers: the authorized, licensed adaptation of the concept of the work of another which openly discloses the source.

Surely you can see the difference..?
Okay, Vexx already said it, and I got it, it was something I didn't knew, I was wrong. Moving on.
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 16:49   Link #55
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampire View Post
Well, this just added another reason why I rather be Japanese than Chinese. What a disgrace. /facepalm
Guys not all 1.2 billion Chinese people in the world are conniving plagiarizers and bootleggers with no respect for other people's property seriously this is getting on my nerves.
Old 2009-09-03, 16:51   Link #56
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Don't forget of that probably the most influential anime/manga was base on an old Chinese novel.

not just that, romance of threekingdoms and the game sukoiden is copied from the chinese novel Shui Hu Zhuan(108star of destiny). Well, the authors of these novels has copyrights to their stories... Japanese or Korean just took the idea of the book switch some characters around and ban~! here we go, Dragon Destiny...
Astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 17:11   Link #57
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Guys not all 1.2 billion Chinese people in the world are conniving plagiarizers and bootleggers with no respect for other people's property seriously this is getting on my nerves.
Its not even that what some Chinese enterprising souls do is "wrong" -- it depends on how a society defines created-works and how they choose to manage them.

I, for example, think the concept of "intellectual property" is utter bullshit in which the end-game is total paralysis of innovation. What I accept is that there is copyright, trademark, and patent law which is supposed to handle a creator getting reasonable return and control of their idea for a limited time before it becomes public domain. ALL ideas are built upon the ideas of others. MANY ideas come into existence at the same time in different locales. Read up on the Creative Commons.

Almost everyone's avatar and sig on this forum is a violation of copyright unless they got permission (though one could argue "Fair Use Snippet").

China has long operated under the notion that ideas, once launched into the open air, are available for *anyone* to use to try and make a buck. That isn't necessarily evil, it just doesn't coincide with the way some other parts of the world handle such things. I just think its rather pathetic when there are plenty of Chinese motifs and Chinese stories that could be animated and they're just coming off as a sketchy copy-band in a small town nightclub.
Old 2009-09-03, 18:30   Link #58
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
I kinda found it funny. It's like yea let's ignore all those human rights violations* and free speech suppression*, but OH NOS THEY COPIED ANIMU !!!!11111

*And yes I realize, judging by own location, that's definitely throwing rocks from a glass house. Which is why this nationalism crap really annoys me. It's like the petty insult of calling Americans fat. Now seriously? But of course, people=/ government. Usually people refer to the later when referring to a country.

It's only natural for people to hold an interest in Japan around here, since after all, most of us like anime and immersing yourself in another culture is fun and often enlightening. I won't hesitate to admit I'd rather go to Japan than China, but the majority of us who don't live in either country shouldn't really comment on the countries as a whole based on a section of their culture. It's patronizing and insulting, kinda like my friends IRL who insert broken Japanese into their talk without really understanding what they hell they are talking about or truly appreciating the culture they supposedly adore. It just gets on my nerves. I really doubt one would make much friends in Japan just yelling out "KAWAII DESU" a lot, but that's just me.

And it goes the other way around too. I'm Chinese American, and a lot of my older relatives would not approve of my like of anime, because well there's quite a strong anti-Japanese sentiment due to the horrible things that happened in WW2 and also the interpretation of history and related disputes between Japan and China (and Korea). I wonder if this could be related to the lack of concern for plagiarism of anime. But hey, I don't bear a grudge against Japan, because well, I know it has nothing to do with the Japanese people at large (well, at least today, save for a few extremists)

And hey, let's not even look that far. Ever heard the terms "Japanophile" or "weeaboo" or some of the more asinine assumptions targeted at people who dare appreciate cartoons from another country? Just because someone thinks that country is "weird"

Ok, that was a long useless rant. I apologize if I sound too preachy, but something out of this thread caused me to just keep talking and talking. But my posts are always recommended with a grain of salt, as I usually don't take them too seriously. TL;DR: Generalizations suck.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2009-09-03 at 19:02.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 18:51   Link #59
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
ALL ideas are built upon the ideas of others. MANY ideas come into existence at the same time in different locales. Read up on the Creative Commons.
Quote:
There is, of course, that classic phrase "imitation is the best form of flattery"
While it's interesting to talk about how people borrow ideas and concepts from one another, I think that is on a more abstract level than just blatantly stealing artwork from a finished product and I don't consider it all that relevant here.

Last edited by Theowne; 2009-09-03 at 19:23.
Old 2009-09-03, 19:23   Link #60
escimo
Paparazzi

Aren't we forgetting something fairly relevant?
China is a communist country (well... sort of) and communism hasn't really ever been very big on intellectual property rights. Well any property rights for that matter, in theory. China being long past that stage nowadays.
That being said, it's really not like Chinese networks even could just go out and buy the shows they liked. What can be shown there in the first place is fairly controlled and have to go through a whole lot of bureaucracy and censorship before being allowed to be published. Most of the media being in direct control of the government anyway and I'd frankly be a bit more surprised if they'd start throwing money around for licenses of western or Japanese shows. Still there seems to be a great fascination of western and Japanese culture among the people. It's not at all unlike what happened in Soviet Union during the glasnost. I think we can be fairly sure that it's just a phase which will pass as soon as the communistic system has drawn it's last breaths. The way things are going it's on life support already.

As far as rip offs go, well found this a bit more blatant.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/27/te...27iht-nec.html

On the other hand this is nothing new. China is just now kick starting many of the industries that we tend to take for granted. Up until seventies European car manufacturers made pretty damn sure their doors were locked when a group of Japanese "students" came for a visit.

Plagiarism Is the Sincerest Form of Flattery.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote