AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-09-05, 02:37   Link #1
Sides

Dragon Quest X (Wii, Wii U and now PC!)

Full japanese title: Dragon Quest X Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku Online
Release date: some time in 2012
Homepage: http://www.dqx.jp/

At today's Dragon Quest Conference (05/09/2011) it was confimred by SquareEnix, that two versions of the game will appear, on the Wii and Wii U. The game itself will be an Online game, and the games will be cross-platform, so you would be able to play against gamers on the Wii or Wii U. For the first time in the series history, the game will be handled by SE, or Enix, internally.

Further readings reading the Conference:
andriasang.com "DQX HP opens"
andriasang.com "DQX for Wii and Wii U"
andriasang.com "DQX usage fees?"
andriasang.com "OMG it is a screenshot"

Interesting facts is about the Wii version. It will come as Wii disc together with USB Memory thing. The wii version will support usb keyboards. I can only assume the USB memory is used for cache and dlc, you wonder why no on else has done it before, if cache via USB memory it possible.

No port begging please!

Last edited by Sides; 2013-06-22 at 12:40. Reason: PC version announced
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-05, 03:34   Link #2
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I really can't say i'm surprised DQX will be online after how successful DQIX was. I have faith that the Dragon Quest X will stay faithful to the franchise, even being a full online version, so i'm all for this happening.

Which version will i most likely play? Hard to say yet. I haven't full decided if i'm buying a Wii U on launch, so it all comes down to that decision.

As for the usage fees, it's expected. Just hoping it's not going to be something expensive.
Old 2011-09-05, 09:25   Link #3
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Oh My Freaking God... This game is going to rape Japan to hell and back.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-05, 12:35   Link #4
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Online Connection Required to Play All of Dragon Quest X

Like DQIX, the game can be played without adventuring around with online team mates. Even though it can be done, i wouldn't recommend it. DQIX wasn't nearly as good without playing along side online players, and i have a feeling it'll be the same here.

Also an internet connection is needed to play the game, though i'm sure most Wii owners who'd want to play this game will have their console online anyway.
Old 2011-09-05, 12:41   Link #5
Alexus_Z3
new to gunpla

Quote:
Square Enix addressed the issue of the game's online system at its support page today. In a brief response to the question "Is it not possible to play without an internet connection," the support page says "It's possible to play offline for the first few hours after the start of the game. However, to play all elements of the game, an internet connection is required."
I TOTALLY DON'T LIKE the sound of this. I had no problem with paying online as long as it worth my money. But the provider itself gives me much to desire...

Edit: To be perfectly honest I prefer something similiar to Dragon Quest 8. (man that was my all time favourite)
Alexus_Z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-05, 13:28   Link #6
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus_Z3 View Post
I TOTALLY DON'T LIKE the sound of this. I had no problem with paying online as long as it worth my money. But the provider itself gives me much to desire...

Edit: To be perfectly honest I prefer something similiar to Dragon Quest 8. (man that was my all time favourite)
Yeah will have to see how this game turns out. Agree would have preferred it to be similar to DQ8, but what can you do. Not really that big on online games so for now will just keep an eye on this.
Old 2011-09-05, 13:31   Link #7
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Sounds like I will be staying off DQ for a while until they give us a single player game again. Not my thing.
Old 2011-09-05, 14:47   Link #8
Sides

Think we should wait and see how the online system works. I cannot imagine that you have to pay for online subscription, if you are playing only the solo mode. For what we all know at the moment, it could be a SE testing their own DRM system for upcoming titles.
As long it has a solo mode, i don't care.
Old 2011-09-05, 14:53   Link #9
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Think we should wait and see how the online system works. I cannot imagine that you have to pay for online subscription, if you are playing only the solo mode. For what we all know at the moment, it could be a SE testing their own DRM system for upcoming titles.
Seems like it's similar to Age of Conan, you play the tutorial offline and than the rest is online only and subscription based.

I will say this, Square have lost their marbles if they think DQ9's multilayer is going to transition into an online subscription MMO... look @ the difference between Monster Hunter Tri and Monster Hunter 3 Portable.. and Tri wasn't subscription based...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-05, 15:21   Link #10
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Probably really awkwardly given how Square has yet to manage to get into the 21st century when it comes to managing online content.

I don't know if anyone has played FFXI, but I've never found a more cumbersome way of handling and online game than Playonline, which has just recently mercifully been transferred to something called a Square Enix account, which is browser based and pretty self explanatory and cuts down the hassle of Playonline by a good 50% at least.

But yeah....wow...Playonline, where to even start. First it forces a username on you that is a random assortment of letters and numbers that you damn well better write down cause you're never going to remember it by memory. then it has you make a password, but god forbid if you forget it, because before the SE Account there was no way you could recover it other than calling Square Enix and asking them to reset it, which was a huge hassle. Then there's the copy protection which was frankly overkill and just resulted in a 20 minutes sign up session for me. Then after finally finishing all that you have to enter your credit card, which it takes a bit of money out of to test before validating for some reason. Then you have to sit and wait for the client to update, and all of the other various updates to the games you are playing, which can take upwards of 3 hours. Then FINALLY once all that is said and done you can log in and register your content ID and various game purchases, which all need to be done seperately and involve another registration process in the content ID's case and entering CD-Keys in registering your expansions for FFXI.

Then finally once all that is said and done, you can login with all your stuff and get to playing...probably 5 hours after you first installed everything. Worst online experience of my life, and it's a miracle that I stuck with the game after that. That's just a worse case scenario of course, but given how poorly FFXIV has been handled so far (and I'd call it an improvement over early FFXI with Playonline) I'm not sure folks can expect much better. Though maybe the Square Enix account thing will cut down even further on the hassle for DQ Online, who knows.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-05, 16:06   Link #11
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I will say this, Square have lost their marbles if they think DQ9's multilayer is going to transition into an online subscription MMO... look @ the difference between Monster Hunter Tri and Monster Hunter 3 Portable.. and Tri wasn't subscription based...
Monster Hunter Tri, like other capcom console MMO's are subscription based in japan. This dates back to the PS2. Games like monster hunter, monster hunter 2, biohazard outbreak 1 & 2 all required that you have online licence thing. Only the portable version were truly subscription free, but since they don't run on servers. The costs for the console game overseas were covered either by capcom, ps2 games, or by nintendo, MHTri.
Old 2011-09-05, 21:35   Link #12
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Hey dudes, did yah hear the latest news? It's also gonna get an NES release

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/201...est_x_famicom/

Time to dust off the good ol' famicom
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-06, 03:06   Link #13
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Monster Hunter Tri, like other capcom console MMO's are subscription based in japan. This dates back to the PS2. Games like monster hunter, monster hunter 2, biohazard outbreak 1 & 2 all required that you have online licence thing. Only the portable version were truly subscription free, but since they don't run on servers. The costs for the console game overseas were covered either by capcom, ps2 games, or by nintendo, MHTri.
You're thinking of Monster Hunter Frontier which was a proper MMO. I'm talking about Tri the Wii version of Monster Hunter. Basically Square Enix/Nintendo's thinking is... "The multiplayer aspect of DQIX rocked! What if we made a game that was an MMO version of that!"

What they've ignored is that...

1/ The Wii hasn't exactly been a console that has promoted "online" playing, friends codes, what garbage.

2/ A subscription based MMO isn't exactly the same as selling a single player game, Square should know that after FF11 and FF14. The later one being an embarrassing flop for SquareEnix.

3/ DQIX multiplayer was a hit because it was portable, as everyone should know portables > consoles in Japan. The PSP would've outsold the PS2 if the Vita was being introduced a year later... think about that for a moment.

4/ Capcom already saw the massive difference in reception of a home and portable version of Monster Hunter. We're talking of a difference of nearly 3 million... not to mention that a proper MH MMO didn't exactly set Japan on fire... Sure MH isn't DQ (but it's not far off anymore..) and it was on Xbox360... but if DQ8 was released on the original Xbox instead of the PS2 i'm sure it would've sold more...

5/ The DQ fanbase, are they the type to get excited over an MMO? Playing DQIX multiplayer while catching the train to school/work is a "little" different from investing hours a day for months on end @ home playing an MMO.

It's still going to sell a lot, heck the name alone means a lot of people will buy this without even knowing it's an MMO... but it's not going to be the killer app the Wii U needed in Japan and it's not going to do shit outside of Japan either.

Getting a proper Monster Hunter game on the 3DS will mean more for Nintendo than this will. Likewise if SquareEnix made a DQ9.5/side story game that played like a typical DQ game for the Vita/PSP.

Also this is going to be the first DQ game devolved internally by SquareEnix, lets hope it's not a disaster like their previous MMO in FF14... what a waste of a mainline number that was... Versus XIII deserves to be called 14 over that pos.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-06, 03:25   Link #14
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosu View Post
Hey dudes, did yah hear the latest news? It's also gonna get an NES release

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/201...est_x_famicom/

Time to dust off the good ol' famicom
Haha, what?

Oh man, i'm so playing this version.

New information here saying that the game will require separate payments to play online. Looks like if you just want to adventure around by yourself, then you won't have to pay anything.

Next months issue of V Jump promises to have a lot more information on the game.
Old 2011-09-06, 13:11   Link #15
Sides

Quote:
You're thinking of Monster Hunter Frontier which was a proper MMO. I'm talking about Tri the Wii version of Monster Hunter.
No, seriously in japan those game required a hunter license. On the Wii you had to pay a monthly fee for both monster hunter g and tri. On the PS2 both monster hunter titles and both resident evil titles were subscription based. It is only overseas, were we don't have to pay, because the costs are sucked up by nintendo and capcom, for those ps2 games. The only reason why we got these for free was the presumption that these games won't sell overseas, besides bad internet connection, not download/upload speed , but latency.
Old 2011-09-06, 13:38   Link #16
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
I've convinced myself now, seeing as a majority of people are really vocal about the crappy state of the Wii's online, it would be foolish to have us pay for a subscription.

Dragon Quest X is gonna be fun!
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-06, 14:05   Link #17
TJR

Quote:
2/ A subscription based MMO isn't exactly the same as selling a single player game, Square should know that after FF11 and FF14. The later one being an embarrassing flop for SquareEnix.
It depends on Square Enix's userbase and life cycle expectations. The business goal is stable earnings, so DQX could be extremely successful even with a fraction of the fanbase playing.

Obviously, Nintendo, Square Enix, and Armor Project want DQX to reach millions of gamers. However, I think they've also considered FFXI's (Square originally aimed for millions of players too. It didn't happen, but the semi-sizable fanbase and insane longevity made it a money making machine regardless) ability to co-exist with offline installments at no cost to franchise popularity.

In short, they probably don't see any long term risk even if the game doesn't perform as well as they hope. If they hit expectations half way (decent sized userbase that gets hooked on the game across several years), they can still call it big hit while preparing to roll out the next single-player installment.

Quote:
It's still going to sell a lot, heck the name alone means a lot of people will buy this without even knowing it's an MMO... but it's not going to be the killer app the Wii U needed in Japan
I think Wii U support is just being shoehorned in given the bad timing (Wii lost steam unexpectedly fast, Wii U is just launching). When the project first started, Wii was probably all anyone had in mind.

Square Enix/Nintendo either expected the Wii life-cycle to last longer or are confident in their ability to make the game popular across succeeding platforms.

Quote:
Also this is going to be the first DQ game devolved internally by SquareEnix
To be more accurate, it's the first 100% SE development. DQIX was sort of a transition in which an internal team (which included some long-time Dragon Quest and Square designers) collaborated with Level-5 and Armor Project to make the game.

Makes me think that they were already building the team and plans for DQX while they created IX.

Quote:
and it's not going to do shit outside of Japan either.
Yep. I doubt the western market is a primary consideration.

In theory, FFXIV was supposed to be the MMORPG that handled the overseas side of things.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-10, 19:19   Link #18
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Online Connection Required to Play All of Dragon Quest X

Like DQIX, the game can be played without adventuring around with online team mates. Even though it can be done, i wouldn't recommend it. DQIX wasn't nearly as good without playing along side online players, and i have a feeling it'll be the same here.
DQIX couldn't be played online. It was ad-hoc. That's a huge difference.
Old 2011-09-10, 20:16   Link #19
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

as a fan of Monster Hunter and the other Dragon quest game that had online. i cant wait for this
Old 2011-09-11, 04:07   Link #20
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
DQIX couldn't be played online. It was ad-hoc. That's a huge difference.
To me there isn't much difference. You both play with people online. That's the same in my books.

Tags
dqx, dragon quest x, pc/windows, wii/wiiu, yuji hori