AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-11-07, 18:30   Link #41
FireChick

For me, a good villain...

1. Is someone who has good motivations and back story behind what they do.
2. Good motivations that are NOT "Muahaha I'm gonna destroy the world because I'm evil!"
3. Has to have intelligence and has to know what they're doing
4. Can be both good or bad depending on their background or reasons for doing what they do.

I'm actually experimenting with how to make a good villain because I'm making a fan fic.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 23:30   Link #42
christinemarie
Crazy One

Current good villain models this year from anime.
1. Yuji model - The hero/main protagonist for almost 95% part of the story, then in the later 5% part becomes the final boss after three years of waiting.
2. QB model - Grants any young girl with one wish by a forming contract with him as a Puella Magi with magical powers however it has hidden consequences.

My favorite good villain model for the last three years
Makes use of a blind item for this character - He makes everyone in the world hate him so much than anyone else then in the later part he asked his best friend to kill him by using his former trademark to make that trademark as a hero once again that destroyed the wicked villain.
christinemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 01:23   Link #43
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
I personally respect villains who don't hide behind their henchman and have the power to fight themselves, who're clever and cunning, has a sense of humor, and have a goal that motivates them to do what they do

Last edited by Kirito; 2011-11-09 at 12:21.
Kirito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 03:03   Link #44
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
No, I really meant conniving

Google search is your friend. You learn something new every day from it. XD
LOL. i learned something today XDD
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-09, 00:10   Link #45
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

For me, a good villain has to be entertaining and/or multi-dimensional. He/she doesn't have to have a good side, but they can't be one-dimensionally evil. The Joker from Batman is a good example of an irredeemable evil monster who has multiple layers within him.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-09, 00:29   Link #46
jzmagic
flargansbog

The most hated male villains in my mind have these things in common:

Typical bi-shounen looks and has his hot female servants that love to be treated as his play things
Ridiculously over-powered and he knows it too, putting on a calm face and smirking with a "I know something you don't" look
You want to see him suffer just once but he never loses his cool
Snatches the hero's love interest away and tries to seduce her
jzmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 10:39   Link #47
randius
Banned

I like villains who really should be hated. If its a do goody guy I think it stales the story
randius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 10:51   Link #48
DawnEmperor

Just like how Anti-Heroes are considered more interesting than their completely good counterparts, I've consider Anti-Villains more fascinating. They're "evil" for a sympathetic reason usually, and occasionally show that they aren't as depraved. It adds layers to their character, and makes them perhaps believable to support, or at least understand.

While there are some truly evil villains that are enjoyable for me, for the most part I end up getting pissed at how invincible or dickish a villain is. (Yeah, the Joker's awesome, but it's understandable if people get annoyed by him). If a villain is too evil, I end up just wanting the hero to shut him/her up.
DawnEmperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 11:06   Link #49
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

A good villian?

I've seen my fair shair of villians in both games and animes, and a lot of the time it's never really explained why their evil. In my opinion, to be a good villian:

1) They need to have a reason

The simple "I'm bad, you're good, therefore I must eliminate you" method doesn't work. A villian needs motivation, encouragement to do what he/she does. Things like being treated poorly when younger is the usual excuse, but acceptable. Other things like having family or friends killed is a better way in my opinion as it builds up the urge for revenge and reveals the dark side of some people. With a lust for vengeance, they will be willing to do anything for that satisfying feeling.

2) They need to have no regrets

What kind of villian would destroy a building or harm someone close to them and then suddenly think "Oh no, what have I done?". A villian needs to leave no regrets behind, forget all troubled memories and concentrate on nothing but his/her objective. I hate seeing villians turn over a new leaf after one simple scratch to someone close to thems arm, it's ridiculous. They need to be able to threaten people without regrets and do the unthinkable without regrets.

3) They need to enjoy what they do

Villians need to enjoy hurting others. They should be able to watch someone suffer with a smile on their face. Only truely evil people couldd do things like this without a second thought. They need to laugh and show that they are enjoying every moment of it, and show that their not afriad of themselves and what they have become.
DXMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 03:47   Link #50
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raa View Post
absolutely NO INSANE LAUGH.
Joker in TDK is a fine villain even with his insane laugh.

I guess a good villain has to be smart first coz nobody likes idiotic villain. When a villain is smart they’ll become unpredictable and interesting. After the brain, then comes the brawn. I don’t even have to write here that a good villain must be ‘strong’. Also, I agree that a ‘general’ or ‘leader’ type villain must have charisma or an aura of power. If not, then nobody will buy it when a villain has so many underlings that trust him/her. Furthermore, good villains must have good background stories or clear enough motivation in doing all those evil deeds (Psycho-ness is also a good motivation, btw). Another very novel idea is that when a villain actually believe that he’s doing the right thing and that all the despicable things that he/she did is a necessary evil for the greater good. Good/cool/eccentric looks will be the icing on the cake.
Old 2011-11-15, 09:21   Link #51
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

Good villains are memorable ones. And many memorable villains have a certain special trait that sets them apart from the others, be it some twisted principles, or a dark past.
KyriaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 10:21   Link #52
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyriaL View Post
Good villains are memorable ones. And many memorable villains have a certain special trait that sets them apart from the others, be it some twisted principles, or a dark past.
I don't think being memorable makes a villain good. A non anime example that i could think off is dr. Light from the DC comics. He was memorable for the identity crisis saga and the terrible things that he did that preceded the saga, but he was still a horribly written villain.
Another non anime example was imperiex (DC's galactus knock off). He was memorable for being such a powerhouse, the hype surrounding all the comics, and he caused the deaths of lot's of heroes, but he was also a poorly written villain just to promote a huge collaboration of crossovers written by too many DC writers.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 15:13   Link #53
solomon

Two types for me,

One is a villian that is very well rounded you can actually understand and kinda sorta empathise with his motivations if not his actions.

The other runs entirely on charisma. The appeal comes mainly from his behavior. He need not be empathetic.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote