AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-03-17, 20:51   Link #221
Siye

Oh wow... thats interesting. The anime may be mixed up in terms of chronology, but it doesn't skip over any manga chapters.

Episode 18 I thought was alright. The relation of the mushi in question with the problem at hand did seem a bit rushed/forced, but I'm happy because the story was less depressing than many of the previous ones... and we get a happy ending
Siye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 22:38   Link #222
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil Scherbe
Episode 16 is my favorite among 13 to 19.
It's simple but moving.
I was neary in tears at last scene.
I'd echo the kind words about 16 - seems like it was a little underappreciated. Very true to life - there are memory disorders that mirror this condition very closely, and I thought the episode did a wonderful job of illustrating how happiness can be found in many different ways as long as you're with the person you love. Ginko was less integral to this episode, but the interesting aspect was that he learned as much as he taught.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 03:18   Link #223
Shigan
Forever a Journey

Do anyone know if there will be a OST for Mushishi? it's not a show with overpowering music but some of the ending scores have really been to die for.

*still crying after episode 14 with the White Bamboos* ^_^
Shigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 03:32   Link #224
wao
OK.

2 OSTs, first one "Mushi no ne Part 1" will be out on the 24th of March. Part 2 is scheduled for release in June.

OST one has these episodes' theme songs:

Yawarakai Tsuno (ep 3)
Makura Kouji (ep 4)
Mabuta no Hikari (ep 2)
Unasaka Yori (ep 8)
Ame ga Kuru Niji ga Tatsu (ep 7)
Tabi wo suru Numa (ep 5) [don't expect Numa Numa yay...]
Tsuyu wo suu Mure (ep 6)
Hitoyobashi (ep 13)
Omoi Mi (ep 9)
Suzuri ni sumu Shiro (ep 10)
Sugame no Sakana (ep 12)
Yamanemuru (ep 11)
Midori no za (ep 1)

Basically ep 1-13's songs are here, plus some recurring themes.
Old 2006-03-18, 19:10   Link #225
Simon
気持ち悪い

Rats, I just got an e-mail from Amazon JP saying the DVD LE1 re-release has been pushed back to mid-May. I hope this isn't the start of it vanishing off into unobtainability...
Old 2006-03-19, 12:18   Link #226
aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon
Rats, I just got an e-mail from Amazon JP saying the DVD LE1 re-release has been pushed back to mid-May. I hope this isn't the start of it vanishing off into unobtainability...
Really? I just checked, and It's in stock right at this moment.
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-19, 20:44   Link #227
Lost

Episode 18 was nice and rather lighthearted I felt. I'm glad it had a happy ending, and the part of Ginko getting up from the ground was funny (for a moment I tot it was one of those buried in the landslide emerging in zombie form by some action of the Mushi). And later on when he sold the "real" coat to his pal, especially impregnating only enough of the Mushi to cause it to smoke once in ten yrs, that was funny too. Smart move, and reaffirms my conviction not to buy anything from Ginko. I don't think the Mushi's entrance/relation was rushed, this is an episode where Mushi aren't really the focus, after all, it is a common Mushi.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-19, 20:54   Link #228
Forever
Revealing the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Episode 18 was nice and rather lighthearted I felt. I'm glad it had a happy ending, and the part of Ginko getting up from the ground was funny (for a moment I tot it was one of those buried in the landslide emerging in zombie form by some action of the Mushi). And later on when he sold the "real" coat to his pal, especially impregnating only enough of the Mushi to cause it to smoke once in ten yrs, that was funny too. Smart move, and reaffirms my conviction not to buy anything from Ginko. I don't think the Mushi's entrance/relation was rushed, this is an episode where Mushi aren't really the focus, after all, it is a common Mushi.
Erm I dont think that coat had a mushi at all. He just said 10 years so that he will never notice.
Old 2006-03-20, 02:38   Link #229
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark
Really? I just checked, and It's in stock right at this moment.
What the...? You're right, I just checked my order and it's Shipping Soon (yay!). But when I looked yesterday it really did say "Expected ship date 5/19". I wonder if some Amazonian made a typo?

Oh well, I'm just happy I've been able to snarf a copy.
Old 2006-03-20, 09:25   Link #230
Cal-Reflector

Episode 18: Pretty good episode actually. An interesting backstory combined with some rare comedy.

Spoiler for Episode 18 thoughts:
Old 2006-03-20, 09:56   Link #231
DaFool
Resident devil

Quote:
I wonder just what sort of relationship Adashino and Ginko have... friends? A mushishi and his patron? It does seem that Adashino is the main source of funding for Ginko, as we've seen him buy his stuff twice already. Interesting...
They are good friends, healthily male-bonded. Honest to goodness male friendship as it has always been and as it should be. Not affected by any of the touchy-feely omg-they-must-be-gay crap that's flooded this generation.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-20, 13:27   Link #232
EmptySoul
C1Anime

Whee~ Now everyone can see episode 20. But dont forget about 19, it's really good too. But I have to say my absolute favorite of this series thus far is either episode 2 or episode 20. ^_^ Enjoy the subs people. ^_^
EmptySoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-20, 17:49   Link #233
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptySoul
Whee~ Now everyone can see episode 20. But dont forget about 19, it's really good too. But I have to say my absolute favorite of this series thus far is either episode 2 or episode 20. ^_^ Enjoy the subs people. ^_^
I completely agree, except I'd add episode 1 to that short list as well; thanks for your hard work.

To the person above who responded to my quote: No worries, I did not for one nano-second consider tainting Mushishi in my mind by mixing in unwarranted yaoi elements. But hetero, well............. that's different, ladies in the show some times find Ginko attractive and who are we to argue with the producers?
Old 2006-03-20, 19:05   Link #234
kujoe
from head to heel

Spoiler for episode 16:

I would have to say that episode 16 launched itself to the top of my Mushishi episode fave list. Numbers 2 and 3 are the ones about the inkstone maker and the kid with horns respectively.

Seriously, in a time when I'm stuck in my "most, if not all of today's anime suck" phase, Mushishi is single-handingly keeping me interested in animedom as a whole. Great. Now I'm regretting the fact that I didn't buy the manga in Japan while I had the chance. I also can't wait to get my grubby paws on eps 19 and 20, but then again, I like to keep my Mushishi viewing slow.

And oh, a big thanks to the fansubbers working on this title. Good job to every one of you.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-20, 20:04   Link #235
Arc

Damn, I've seen all the episodes now, but ended up watching episode 15 & 20 back to back. Now I can't decide which pairing I like better.

Suzu is a mature cutie, has the cool little brother, and clearly has feelings for Ginko, which really weren't returned.

Tanyu, however, almost needs Ginko in many respects, and Ginko did make that promise. Pretty clear where any relationship in this series would end up.

The origin story in twelve is still my favorite, but these two tie for my second place. I'm a total sucker for any actual character development, even if Ginko is the same person from story to story.
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-20, 23:00   Link #236
Forever
Revealing the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector
I completely agree, except I'd add episode 1 to that short list as well; thanks for your hard work.

To the person above who responded to my quote: No worries, I did not for one nano-second consider tainting Mushishi in my mind by mixing in unwarranted yaoi elements. But hetero, well............. that's different, ladies in the show some times find Ginko attractive and who are we to argue with the producers?

Ep 20 is also a fav of my as well. Sad that i will have months before I can continue watching mushishi....

Anyway cal, the girl in your sig is tanyu right? So ginko gets a travelling companion long last?
Old 2006-03-20, 23:26   Link #237
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever
Ep 20 is also a fav of my as well. Sad that i will have months before I can continue watching mushishi....

Anyway cal, the girl in your sig is tanyu right? So ginko gets a travelling companion long last?
Errrrmmm... nope, that's Kino, the main character from another series. The sig containing Tanyuu is in the works, waiting from the fact that it would have been too spoiler-y up until now. And Ginko only gives her a promise that they'll travel together, some day.

Last edited by Cal-Reflector; 2006-03-20 at 23:49.
Cal-Reflector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-20, 23:40   Link #238
BPS
Banned

i've seen ep1 of this. I hope to return and actually LET it grow on me. It kind of bored me. But ill give it another shot.
BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-21, 00:13   Link #239
Arc

One aspect of episode 20 that greatly surprised me (other than finding that it will be the last episode until September, ugh) was the fact that
Spoiler:

Checkout the very last frame of the video to see a cool composite of all the characters from the last 20 episodes!
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-21, 05:01   Link #240
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc
Checkout the very last frame of the video to see a cool composite of all the characters from the last 20 episodes!
Yeah, that was a very nice little Easter Egg.

Just watched 19 and 20 back to back. Knowing it's not quite the end, I'll say it was great that Mushishi went into its break on a high. Both episodes were fantastic, and I can't fault either of them.

I did actually like episode 19 better, though. It was very much in the same vein as 15, in making you want the happy ending, and then delivering it. But it did it better, I thought. I could speculate on the reasons why this is so, and say it's because of the characters, their plight, the story or the atmosphere, but these are things that Mushishi has treated amazingly well for almost all of its episodes, so it's almost redundant to bring them up. I think I'll just say "it was one my favourites so far" and leave it at that.

Episode 20 was great as well... particular the way it treated its characters. I think it's fair to say that the story in this episode resembled more a character analysis and life story than a series of related events. And in typical Mushish fashion, it did it really well.

Since the show is having a break, I'll take this oppurtunity to reflect. As far as episodic anime were concerned, I thought it'd be a long time before I saw one better than Kino's Journey... but IMO, Mushishi has been so far. Mushishi probably doesn't quite have the raw intellect that Kino's Journey has, but I think it does a better job of making interesting and well developed characters in its short episodic stories. I also think Ginko has the more ironic (and slightly sadder) backstory.... although I could totally understand if people were to disagree, since this is very much open to argument. And as far as aesthetics are concerned, Kino's Journey can't compete (although, I do understand the reasoning behind the choice for Kino's Journey's art-style.... still doesn't change that Mushishi is easier on the eyes).

But there's no argument that, to date, this has been an amazing anime, and I have no qualms in saying it's the best I've seen for a very long time.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, historical, seinen, supernatural