AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2014-07-11, 19:20   Link #501
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaer View Post
^Never knew that. it might come in handy, though most of the people I went against rolled backwards to dodge me instead of around me. I'm usually the one rolling to an opponent since the twinblade's effective range is pretty short.

anyone know if the other twinblades are longer? I kind of want to check out the stone one and the red steel/rust/whatelver one.
santiers spear my friend, santiers spear. as far as moveset goes its the best in the game, and it also include some of the twinblade moveset, so it looks the coolest too. just not good for a quality build.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-12, 02:09   Link #502
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Finally acquired soul geyser...and then I noticed that my INT was a bit too high, so with my first stat reallocation taking place, I can now equip the dragonrider bow, the Alonne greatbow and the drakewing GS! I was surprised by its low stat reqs...but it's a bit hard to upgrade - is it worth the effort or should I save up for a better weapon?

EDIT: Oh btw, the dragon "boss" was a total pushover...and he took a lot of fire damage for a dragon :P

Last edited by Kafriel; 2014-07-12 at 03:42.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-12, 04:13   Link #503
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Finally acquired soul geyser...and then I noticed that my INT was a bit too high, so with my first stat reallocation taking place, I can now equip the dragonrider bow, the Alonne greatbow and the drakewing GS! I was surprised by its low stat reqs...but it's a bit hard to upgrade - is it worth the effort or should I save up for a better weapon?

EDIT: Oh btw, the dragon "boss" was a total pushover...and he took a lot of fire damage for a dragon :P
don't, you have an int build, so what you gotta do is burn an ascetic on the last brightstone cove bonfire, kill freja on NG+, get the moonlight greatsword; best int weapon definitely, plus it has its awesome long range attacks too.
Old 2014-07-12, 04:46   Link #504
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:

Wait, what do you mean by too high? Soul Geyser is the highest stat required spell in the game at 64 INT Although most people just spice it down to 50 because INT doesn't scale well after 50.

The GreatCurved sword is good if you like that class of weapon, but if you're an INT build... Unless you have high DEX it's better to work towards a Dragonrider weapon, the Watcher's Greatsword, or the ever popular Moonlight Greatsword.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-12, 05:42   Link #505
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Wait, what do you mean by too high? Soul Geyser is the highest stat required spell in the game at 64 INT Although most people just spice it down to 50 because INT doesn't scale well after 50.

The GreatCurved sword is good if you like that class of weapon, but if you're an INT build... Unless you have high DEX it's better to work towards a Dragonrider weapon, the Watcher's Greatsword, or the ever popular Moonlight Greatsword.
I've specced 20 VIG/END, 20 STR, 25 DEX, 4X ATT and 55 INT or so. Guess I'll wait till NG+ for a moonlight GS, thanks.

EDIT: I've collected quite a few ascetics by now, but I don't really know if I should use them - supposedly they increase soul drops (and rare item drop rates?) but make the game harder by one "game". I have BAD memories from the company of champions, so I never used any...is the higher reward worth the risk? Also, can you use more than one on the same bonfire?

Last edited by Kafriel; 2014-07-12 at 06:23.
Old 2014-07-12, 12:24   Link #506
oompa loompa

Quote:
I've specced 20 VIG/END, 20 STR, 25 DEX, 4X ATT and 55 INT or so. Guess I'll wait till NG+ for a moonlight GS, thanks.

EDIT: I've collected quite a few ascetics by now, but I don't really know if I should use them - supposedly they increase soul drops (and rare item drop rates?) but make the game harder by one "game". I have BAD memories from the company of champions, so I never used any...is the higher reward worth the risk? Also, can you use more than one on the same bonfire?
it will move everything up by one NG, permanently. So, if you use an ascetic on the last brightstone cove bonfire, it will become NG+ . When you're in NG+, itll be NG++, and so forth. Don't worry about it too much though, NG++ is not significantly harder than NG+, so don't let that put you off. you don't want to be going into NG+5 or more territory, thats for sure, but I think for the sake of the MGS, you should use it. Also, there is one rule of dark souls that we all live and die by, and its something that we should all be reminded of once in a while

git gud or get rekt
Old 2014-07-12, 13:07   Link #507
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

And now for chapter one of The Chronicles of Woolsworth II...

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2014-07-12, 13:52   Link #508
nosaer

Quote:

on my int build I used an ascetic for Freya, Rotten, and iron King in NG on my quest for achievements. I ended up having to go all the way into ng++ to buy spells from Wellager that I wasn't going to get covenant wise, and even with those 3 bosses at ng+++ I didn't have any problems with them. (spamming crystal soul spears and soul spears is very effective at killing bosses)

so I say don't be too worried about it. Usually the trek to bosses is tougher than the bosses are, but the bonfires for these bosses are in areas where you have few beefed up enemies to worry about (except freya, but its easy to run through most of those).
nosaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-12, 14:40   Link #509
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Used my first ascetic on the lower brightstone cove. I think there's more enemies in addition to the existing ones having more health and dmg...oh well, a couple of deaths and the proper spell attunement got me as far as the boss. This is the first time in the entire game when I used a spell replenishing item!!!

...and then I noticed that a dragonrider bow+5 is a lot better than spells; I one-shot the spiderlings and kept shredding Freja's life bar by ~360 per shot. Got away unscathed, killed Vengarl's body once again and now I am ready to forge some stuff!

Stat-wise, I have 43 ATT. Should I raise it further just for the cast speed or should I just dump everything else on INT to ameliorate the scaling damage bonus on my gear and spells?

P.S: The crystal lizards respawned too, the extra petrified dragon bones and twinkling titanites will most definitely come in handy.
Old 2014-07-12, 18:16   Link #510
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

^
All monsters respawn, and the loots that are on corpses also respawn, only chests that are opened don't respawn. And yeah the first time I did a ascetic to get Moonlight Greatsword I got ambushed by a second phantom behind the farmer =_=

43 Att is 'good', I would personally max out at 50 for the extra att slot and spell charge. 50 should be your max on INT and ATT, because that is the hard cap and diminishing returns kick in after 50. Any spells that require more than 50 you can use the simpleton spices to bring down the requirement to 50.

Dragonrider bow replaces the normal soul arrows for me. I'm now only equipping my hard hitting spells like Soul Spearx4, Crystal Soul Massx2, Soul Greatsword, Soul Geyser or Crystal Magic Weapon. Heavy homing Soul for PvP and Soul Vortex if you can make it work.
Old 2014-07-13, 06:26   Link #511
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Wow that's irony for ya- I farm both the Drakekeepers and Black Dragon Knights to extinction and not once did they drop their respective shields for my mage character.

My Pyro-Quality character that I'm planning to do the King cosplay runs through the shrine once and got the Black Dragon shield (=_=#)

Great, I guess my Mage would be getting the King's Shield, while the King would become a Black Dragon Pyro Knight >_> I swear, my FTH character has got it easy getting his gears... We'll see how long it takes to farm the Heide Greatlance...
Old 2014-07-13, 12:03   Link #512
Kafriel
Senior Guest

FINALLY crafted the one and only MGS - a bit slower than what I've been using so far, but definitely much stronger. Upon using its special R2 shockwave, I noticed that it eats off 10 DUR per cast...and then it hit me: weapons in this game have damn low DUR!!! Back in DeS, it had 400 durability or something ._. Anyway, since nearly all weapons have a DUR in the double-digit area, I can't complain about it.

I also found a nifty staff of wisdom, much better than my already decent staff of Amana. Now I have an awesome melee weapon, sorcery catalyst, shield (royal kite/magic) and bow (Dragonrider+5). I believe I'll be hitting my peak soon enough...and after that, the real Dark Souls II shall begin.
Old 2014-07-13, 14:12   Link #513
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Staff of Wisdom is the strongest catalyst in the game, upgrade it to +5 asap. Although it's casting speed is slower than the Witchtree branch, which is the fastest in the game. Depending on your build you might want to keep that in mind.

If durability bothers you, you can use the Bass Knuckle ring +2 from the Undead crypt which reduces durability loss. But in the first place you probably shouldn't be spamming moonbeams anyway.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2014-07-13 at 14:34.
Old 2014-07-13, 19:32   Link #514
nosaer

Why does this game hate me when I farm for armor?

when I tried to get the Llewellyn Set I farmed the horse knight guys to extinction getting everything but the chest piece.

When i was farming for the heide knight set, It took 13 ascetics to finally get the chest piece. they gave me plenty of leggings and spears though.

then I decided to try and get the Auros set only to find out that I have to kill the boss and his 2 goons every time I fight the Auros phantom before I can use another Ascetic...and said phantom hasn't dropped a single thing in 4 attempts. Its getting hard to take out the flexile sentry + goons with only a melee build. FML...

In other news I got the grand lance and curved dragon greatsword today. The lance is interesting, but I'm not confident about how well I could do with it in pvp. Its thrust attacks have too small of a window, and the dragon sword I'm not a huge fan of the moveset when I first saw it. not sure I want to pump 15 of my 19 dragon bones into it only to find out I don't like it.
nosaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-13, 20:42   Link #515
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I'm currently figuring out the Grand Lance as well.

So far the best combo that still leaves you with stamina is a light R1 thrust, and ONLY if it connects, follow-up with the heavy R2 drill. From R1 to R2 there is no pause, however R2 drains a ton of stamina but it catches dudes in a stunlock easily.

Also, the backstep charge attack would demolish anyone in your way.

When hit like the lance, it's very satisfying to use.
Old 2014-07-14, 05:18   Link #516
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaer View Post

In other news I got the grand lance and curved dragon greatsword today. The lance is interesting, but I'm not confident about how well I could do with it in pvp. Its thrust attacks have too small of a window, and the dragon sword I'm not a huge fan of the moveset when I first saw it. not sure I want to pump 15 of my 19 dragon bones into it only to find out I don't like it.
S scaling in dex, and B scaling in strength, 400 base damage at +5, and swings fast. If you look at it along with stamina cost, it is beastly damage no matter which way you slice it, plus it has special moves too (which are pretty good pvp) I agree the moveset is not great though.
Old 2014-07-14, 05:37   Link #517
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Play around with it a little with various enemy types, give it some time to find the right rhythm.

If you really can't get used to the greatcurved swords style then don't use it.

EDIT:

Oh my god, did they buff the final boss? Or did I suddenly became retarded? Her HP is a ton now and she hits like a truck

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2014-07-14 at 08:18.
Old 2014-07-14, 22:34   Link #518
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Old 2014-07-15, 06:04   Link #519
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

^
The original Super Best Friends Dark Souls 2 versus videos were quite well received as it perfectly displayed how two people can have dramatically different experience playing the game With Pat and Woolie being the triumphant duo.

Update: I'm now roughly 1/3 along to way to be getting my Black Dragon Armor... 13 more scales to go. I wouldn't bother with the Black Dragon Greatsword. The Grand Lance is awesome when you do the running attack... You become the drill that pierces the Heavens!
Old 2014-07-20, 02:43   Link #520
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I gots me a shiny new ashen mist heart. Yay...the weird rock at Tseldora came to mind, so that part was over quickly, but the whole giant mess was a bit more...well, messy! Took me a while to find the first one (went through his memories quickly though) but the second one was a bit challenging.

After getting kicked out twice, I decided to switch from safe sniping to very unsafe magical destruction! Soul vortex/geyser and flame swathe got me till the last giant, at which point I chickened out and killed that one with the bow :P Got the second (third?) giant soul just as the ash had started to thin....