AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-04-03, 13:48   Link #121
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Hell to the yes i dont care what others think if they are so narrow minded that they cant accept other hobbies the forget them. Its anime fans are out dealing drugs, stealing cars, dog fighting ect ect. Its different so some people tend to make fun of it. I get teased sometimes at work or by some of my non anime friends and i just ignore of them or give them a dose of their own medicine.
Old 2008-04-12, 16:58   Link #122
~ Lawliet ~

I do not very often tell people.
~ Lawliet ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 17:34   Link #123
fatalblue
Dancin' and Dreamin'

Yes, i will tell people I watch anime though I don't go out of my way to make known to people (I don't feel I need too, really) Much like any of my other hobbies or interest I'll talk about it when it comes up natural in conversation. The big tip off is almost always my art
fatalblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 19:44   Link #124
Ketchup11
~Mikuness

Sure I do. If they think I'm a weirdo, let them. But when I tell them they don't really make a huge deal about it. Anime is something I enjoy, and I personally think it's alright to tell people.
Ketchup11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 20:54   Link #125
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
In my area, watching anime doesn't seem to entail any negative stigma unlike most other places. But even if it did, I'd still admit that I watch anime. Of course, that's only when it comes to topic, but that goes with any of my other interests (Magic, Video Games, etc.) and not just limited to anime. No sense bringing it up when the other party would most likely not be interested in the subject at all.
I think that explains why I don't mind being open about my interest in anime. Singaporeans are quite familiar with the medium. Even though most people associate anime with children's cartoons, many of them are equally aware that some anime are targeted towards older audiences. I thank Studio Ghibli for this. Movies such as Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away have definitely helped to broaden appeal of anime in Singapore.

But even without such influences, I get the feeling that anime is already an accepted part of Singapore's cultural landscape, thanks to the ubiquity of manga. Manga is very popular here, and I always notice a good number of Singaporeans browsing the manga sections of our local Kinokuniya. Thankfully, otaku culture isn't very pronounced, so there isn't much stigma against manga/anime in general (but you do get the common misunderstanding that "adult anime" = hentai).

That said, manga/anime is considered part of geek culture. But believe it or not, it's actually good to be a geek in Singapore, because geeks are usually assumed (rightly or wrongly) to be very smart, and this country loves clever people. Heck, we recently had a game show featuring "Singapore's Brainiest Kids". Can you imagine such a programme in the US or the UK? The children who appear on the show would become the butt of endless cruel jokes.

As for telling others about my interests, most people assume I'm a person with very "serious" hobbies (reading, current affairs, history, philosophy, etc), and it usually catches them off-guard when they find out that I'm an anime fan as well. Depending on how open-minded they are, they'd be curious to learn why I think some of the best creative talent in Japan work in animation today.

Of course, most of them would not have heard of the anime I enjoy, so I talk about popular shows such as Naruto and Bleach instead. When trying to hold a conversation, it's always important to talk about things that people are interested to hear. Talking about the "brainy" stuff I personally enjoy would only make me appear arrogant and conceited. That would not help to improve anime's image among non-fans. It certainly wouldn't attract more people to the medium.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 22:03   Link #126
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
That said, manga/anime is considered part of geek culture. But believe it or not, it's actually good to be a geek in Singapore, because geeks are usually assumed (rightly or wrongly) to be very smart, and this country loves clever people. Heck, we recently had a game show featuring "Singapore's Brainiest Kids". Can you imagine such a programme in the US or the UK? The children who appear on the show would become the butt of endless cruel jokes.
Eh, we have "Are you Smarter than a Fifth Grader?", and I'm quite sure it's about a panel of teens and adults answering the same question a fifth grader answers, with people giving incorrect answers being eliminated, though I don't watch it because it seems childish.

And regarding anime, I think I've already pointed out that I read light novels at school on occasion.
My bookmark is also this:

So I don't really care about allegations that I'm a nerd (I've built a reputation over the years that point otherwise, so I generally don't get any negative remarks, though I do get a lot of chuckles.)
(It actually sparks a good deal of conversation among my friends and other classmates when I bring up some of my hobbies. It's quite entertaining, really.)

PS: Be jealous of my [C=Wrath of God]WoG[/C]. lulz.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 01:41   Link #127
Z3120

I don't outright tell them. I might if they look like someone who likes anime though. I still remember the time I wore a Gao Gao Stegosaurus T-Shirt at school. Weird feeling.
Z3120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 03:11   Link #128
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
Yeah I always tell people I watch anime and I really don't mind if they get like weirded out feelings or look at me and calling me a nerd. Why should I be ashamed of what I enjoy. I bet they have weird fetishes too so I don't really cry because someone criticizes me. A lot of people seem to understand that I will enjoy games and anime mainly because I'm "Korean" and the whole fact about asians seeming to like those kinds of things -__-;;
rainnydaiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-14, 20:01   Link #129
GreatTeacherKen

I guess the best answer for me is sometimes. Usually I don't publicize my interests but if people bring it up, I'll mention in passing that I do watch anime.

Of course, I think quite a few of my friends know by now that I watch anime since I frequently contribute photos to the 'that's a man?! (anime/manga) facebook group.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-14, 21:12   Link #130
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

I sometimes tell my Gf's i like anime but thats about it
Old 2008-04-14, 22:23   Link #131
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3120 View Post
I don't outright tell them. I might if they look like someone who likes anime though. I still remember the time I wore a Gao Gao Stegosaurus T-Shirt at school. Weird feeling.

WHERE CAN I GET ONE OF THESE!??!?!???!?!?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainnydaiis View Post
Yeah I always tell people I watch anime and I really don't mind if they get like weirded out feelings or look at me and calling me a nerd. Why should I be ashamed of what I enjoy. I bet they have weird fetishes too so I don't really cry because someone criticizes me. A lot of people seem to understand that I will enjoy games and anime mainly because I'm "Korean" and the whole fact about asians seeming to like those kinds of things -__-;;
haha!
It's true, though. Whenever I bring up anime or my other nerdy hobbies, people usually just wave it off and say, "ahh qtip, you're so Asian..."
Oh stereotypes, they really help you when they need to.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-14, 22:33   Link #132
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
It's actually been my dream to cosplay in school. Weird, I know. I'm not talking about a Sakura Kinomoto cosplay either, but just a regular, more normal one.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-14, 22:45   Link #133
Edgewalker
Nani ?

I tell people straight up that I watch it - but I dont tell them just how much I do until I get to know them. I work in the video games industry ( The Dev side, not retail ) and everyone in this industry is well aware what anime is. The problem is that even though Game designers / programmers / testers / Artists and whatnot are all fairly easygoing "down to earth" people when compared to other industries, far too many hear the word "Otaku" and think the word "Weeaboo". It's assumed that if you watch it everyday you are a wapanese wannabe, so I wait till people know me well enough to know that I am not like that untill I let them in on that fact that I average 1~1.5 hours on weekdays and 2~3 on weekends.
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-14, 23:12   Link #134
_DaViD_
~(=ω=.)~

only if they ask me, but i dun care if they dont like it, is their loss, i think almost nobody of my classmates watch anime, only 1 or 2 but not that much, they play more MMORPG and the others just blehh... they dont even know it
and if i take out a manga the girls say, whats that? and i say a manga, O.o is like a comic......... Ahh ohh and what its about, and i explain to them;
if its an elfen lied manga they say ohh so cute because of the covers but they never ask about it........ lol

im from mexico btw...
_DaViD_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-14, 23:19   Link #135
Magedark

I don't really tell anyone because most people I know don't care.
Magedark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 07:18   Link #136
r-18

if you don't like or understand anime you don't want to get stuck in a confined space with me i talk about anime, i'd even talk about it with my cats if they would set still.
r-18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 14:12   Link #137
oompa loompa

well.. truth be told i do hide it for the most part.. mmm im not sure if ill be able to do so after i join college.. anyone been through a similiar situation?
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 16:45   Link #138
wingzero_2000

Depending on the circumstances. Most people I know don't even know what anime is. But if somehow you find out someone you know is also an anime, then we can chat all about what is your favorite series, etc, :-P
wingzero_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 16:48   Link #139
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
well.. truth be told i do hide it for the most part.. mmm im not sure if ill be able to do so after i join college.. anyone been through a similiar situation?
I'd say college is a little more accepting... and if people aren't, say "forget you" and the campus will usually be populated enough that you won't have to see them again.

Disclaimer: Standard socialization mores apply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingzero_2000 View Post
Depending on the circumstances. Most people I know don't even know what anime is. But if somehow you find out someone you know is also an anime, then we can chat all about what is your favorite series, etc, :-P
A person is not an anime.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 20:58   Link #140
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I don't tell people; they usually find out the moment they see me =X.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote