AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

Old 2010-08-02, 09:19   Link #2381
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

If we're talking about expies of F/SN characters, here's someone who is thought to be based off of Saber.

Spoiler for Sylvia Van Hossen:

I like to imagine that's what Saber would look like if she looked her actual age.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-02, 13:13   Link #2382
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
If we're talking about expies of F/SN characters, here's someone who is thought to be based off of Saber.

Spoiler for Sylvia Van Hossen:

I like to imagine that's what Saber would look like if she looked her actual age.
Yeah, they totally had Saber in mind when they came up with her character.

And what is expy short for?
Old 2010-08-02, 16:58   Link #2383
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Moczo
According to TV Tropes, expy is short for 'exported character'.

Last edited by Moczo; 2010-08-03 at 07:38.
Moczo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-03, 07:38   Link #2384
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

I was extremely bored and over-sugared, so I came up with this!

Spoiler for Heroic Spirit Hayate!:

Just consider the Butler class to be a very rare, special class. Similar to Avenger, only instead of appearing only as an Anti-hero, it only appears when the Holy Grail is extremely untidy.
Old 2010-08-03, 12:19   Link #2385
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

That is so....

...funny. You just made my day.
Old 2010-08-03, 16:44   Link #2386
aldw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moczo View Post
I was extremely bored and over-sugared, so I came up with this!

Spoiler for Heroic Spirit Hayate!:

Just consider the Butler class to be a very rare, special class. Similar to Avenger, only instead of appearing only as an Anti-hero, it only appears when the Holy Grail is extremely untidy.
Substitute A-tan for Nagi, and all of Hayate's stats will jump...
aldw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-04, 07:32   Link #2387
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Okay, I've finally finished the Fate route with the Realta Nua patch installed and seen all the new CG's! Now, how to put this... they all look good, of course, but I'm forced to wonder if maybe somebody was not quite thinking clearly when they decided what pictures to attach to which scenes.

Spoiler for Realta Nua CG Thoughts.:

Well, on to UBW... after a week off. I can only read Nasu's rambling, wordy writing style for so long without taking a break. "And so you have X... no, more accurately you could say that X is Y but also Z. And if X is X, then its nature is similar to that of YZ. That's just the way XYZ is."
Old 2010-08-04, 08:22   Link #2388
Cherry_Lover

Quote:
Spoiler for Realta Nua CG Thoughts.:
You know, I think this (and, of course, Last Episode, which is just pure fanservice) says all you need to know about whose fans Realta Nua was aimed at, and whose fans Nasu decided were too few in number to give a shit about....
Cherry_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-04, 08:32   Link #2389
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Well, on to UBW... after a week off. I can only read Nasu's rambling, wordy writing style for so long without taking a break. "And so you have X... no, more accurately you could say that X is Y but also Z. And if X is X, then its nature is similar to that of YZ. That's just the way XYZ is."
He really does write like that. It really was good in the beginning, but after a while it's just too much.

I might have to replay with the patch sooner than I thought, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry_Lover View Post
You know, I think this (and, of course, Last Episode, which is just pure fanservice) says all you need to know about whose fans Realta Nua was aimed at, and whose fans Nasu decided were too few in number to give a shit about....
Let me get out my Sakura violin.
Old 2010-08-04, 09:00   Link #2390
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Quote:
Well, I guess it's hard to blame the guy for knowing his audience. Most character polls (even the ones on our own forums, I notice), Saber tends to take first place while Sakura is typically somewhere in the middle of the pack.

She can take a little joy in that her route had better images overall. It's just that she wasn't in any of them . Still, all the really good ones were of Shirou, so she should at least enjoy the view...

Heeeeey... come to think of it, all the best ones in Fate were of Shirou too! Now I'm starting to wonder whose fans Realta Nua was really aimed at.

EDIT: Looking back, Sakura got slightly more pictures than I thought... but still not very good news for her fans, I'm afraid. See, it's one of those ones where there's five in a row, but they're all the same picture with only her facial expression changing...

Last edited by Moczo; 2010-08-04 at 12:17.
Old 2010-08-04, 14:26   Link #2391
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
Hollow Ataraxia does more justice to Sakura, I say. Although I had no chance to actually see it but from the CGs and spoilers I think that's the case. Perhaps the same for Rider if not even more.

As for Realta Nua I think it did a fair job. Not the best but the extra CGs and the voice acting make the game even more enjoyable. For example the voice acting do quite nice work for Sakura. Her fight with Rin is the best example. If you're too lazy to get to that scene it's still up on youtube.
willyvereb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-04, 15:09   Link #2392
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
EDIT: Looking back, Sakura got slightly more pictures than I thought... but still not very good news for her fans, I'm afraid. See, it's one of those ones where there's five in a row, but they're all the same picture with only her facial expression changing...
I hate those. HF really did have a lot of them too. Did we really need two pictures of Shinji dead on her bed? I don't think so. Although, I did half-enjoy that scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyvereb View Post
Hollow Ataraxia does more justice to Sakura, I say. Although I had no chance to actually see it but from the CGs and spoilers I think that's the case. Perhaps the same for Rider if not even more.

As for Realta Nua I think it did a fair job. Not the best but the extra CGs and the voice acting make the game even more enjoyable. For example the voice acting do quite nice work for Sakura. Her fight with Rin is the best example. If you're too lazy to get to that scene it's still up on youtube.
HA really is made for the fans. They came up with a wacky story to be able to pin all of the characters in real life and throw in new H scenes too.

I only played with the voices, so I don't know what it was like without. But I know that it would not be the same. The great voice acting really adds a lot. And the actoring are great in the game since they had practice in the anime first, lol.
Old 2010-08-04, 15:18   Link #2393
Cherry_Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Although, I did half-enjoy that scene.
Only half?

That's because Sakura goes batshit insane as a result, right? Because that's the only thing I can think of that could possibly detract from the enjoyment of seeing Sakura splatter Shinji's brains all over the bed as he tries to rape her....

Quote:
HA really is made for the fans. They came up with a wacky story to be able to pin all of the characters in real life and throw in new H scenes too.
Yeah, HA is specifically described as a 'fandisk'. It's still useful for seeing how some of the characters would act in normal life, though, especially the servants and Sakura (who, by virtue of being free of Zouken, is far happier and more confident, and much more like her 'true' self).

Quote:
I only played with the voices, so I don't know what it was like without. But I know that it would not be the same. The great voice acting really adds a lot. And the actoring are great in the game since they had practice in the anime first, lol.
Yeah, definitely. I've only played it with the voices, and whilst there are some times they can maybe get a little annoying, in the vast majority of the scenes they just add so much, especially the emotional scenes. There are so many scenes of HF where hearing Sakura's VA and the emotions behind her words make it so much more poingant than it would be with just the text.
Cherry_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-04, 15:26   Link #2394
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Only half?

That's because Sakura goes batshit insane as a result, right? Because that's the only thing I can think of that could possibly detract from the enjoyment of seeing Sakura splatter Shinji's brains all over the bed as he tries to rape her....
Yes, that would be why. Oh, and he deserved a more slow and painful death, along with his grandfather.

[/rage]

Quote:
Yeah, HA is specifically described as a 'fandisk'. It's still useful for seeing how some of the characters would act in normal life, though, especially the servants and Sakura (who, by virtue of being free of Zouken, is far happier and more confident, and much more like her 'true' self).
Yes, seeing Lancer fishing is really laugh out loud funny. And of course Rider is, well...yeah.

Quote:
Yeah, definitely. I've only played it with the voices, and whilst there are some times they can maybe get a little annoying, in the vast majority of the scenes they just add so much, especially the emotional scenes. There are so many scenes of HF where hearing Sakura's VA and the emotions behind her words make it so much more poingant than it would be with just the text.
And they chose such a perfect voice actress for her too. Such a sweet voice. The first time you meet her character you just know she is a sweetheart.

[/rage]
Old 2010-08-11, 06:46   Link #2395
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Well, I finally started playing the game 3 days ago...and...just finished the excruciatingly long prologue. It's my first time playing a visual novel and so far it I'm not really enjoying it. Well, I have to admit that Archers fight with Lancer seemed epic, but mostly because of the music and I've seen a lot of kung fu flicks so my imagination creates the most awesome fight scene in my head. Tohsaka going off a tangent didn't help, though. And they all talk really slowly, and have the most long winded conversations ever. Okay, Tohsaka is competitive. I get it.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-11, 07:24   Link #2396
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Unfortunately, the long-windedness never gets better. That's just how Nasu writes... the Tsukihime VN, the Kara No Kyoukai novels, even Notes are all the same way. You will have to take some solace in the fact that Archer and Lancer's prologue fight is possibly the least epic in the game.

Last edited by Moczo; 2010-08-11 at 10:05.
Old 2010-08-11, 11:55   Link #2397
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Well, I finally started playing the game 3 days ago...and...just finished the excruciatingly long prologue. It's my first time playing a visual novel and so far it I'm not really enjoying it. Well, I have to admit that Archers fight with Lancer seemed epic, but mostly because of the music and I've seen a lot of kung fu flicks so my imagination creates the most awesome fight scene in my head. Tohsaka going off a tangent didn't help, though. And they all talk really slowly, and have the most long winded conversations ever. Okay, Tohsaka is competitive. I get it.
Yeah, I thought the same thing. But you'll find the details to be good later on because you'll be all "wtf?" about some stuff.

As for the speed, it goes as fast you read. I didn't wait for them to finish talking to go on most of the time. But the voices will add a lot as you play. Push through and keep going if you can.

And don't browse this topic too much, you don't want to get spoiled. There are some really good twists and turns in this game.
Old 2010-08-11, 12:04   Link #2398
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
As for the speed, it goes as fast you read. I didn't wait for them to finish talking to go on most of the time. But the voices will add a lot as you play. Push through and keep going if you can.
Yeah, that's what I'm doing now. And don't worry, I'm not looking at any of the posts here so I won't get spoiled.

Well I've done Day 1 and I still haven't got past episode two. Seeing Tohsaka's "wtf" face was hilarious though.
Old 2010-08-11, 12:09   Link #2399
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Tohsaka is the heroine who most consistently made me smile. Even just her facial expressions are naturally funny. Tsunderes are awesome.
Old 2010-08-11, 12:11   Link #2400
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

To be honest I just want to start reading Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel. Is it really worth reading the Fate route or do you reckon I could just go skip happy without much consequence?

[edit]

"When I asked him why he hit her, he said that he just hit her because he felt like it. After that I got pissed and did to Shinji what he did to Sakura. Since then we've been estranged. I still don't regret punching him."

Hmmmm...maybe it is worth reading the Fate route....

Last edited by Haak; 2010-08-11 at 12:29.

Tags
fate/stay night, visual novel