AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2013-01-28, 06:31   Link #40001
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

^ I can imagine...

Pilot: "SPARE PARTS.... SPARE PARTS WHEEEREEEEE~" *faint*
Old 2013-01-28, 06:43   Link #40002
StratoSpear
Titans Test Team Pilot

Hence why I wondered if it would automatically cause the owner to act on instinct and try to keep damage to his unit as minimal as he possibly can during missions since he's been practically abandoned, even though it would be for a temporary period.
Old 2013-01-28, 06:52   Link #40003
HasuMasu
*Artist

Oh hey, happy 2000 pages.
HasuMasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-28, 06:56   Link #40004
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratoSpear View Post
Hence why I wondered if it would automatically cause the owner to act on instinct and try to keep damage to his unit as minimal as he possibly can during missions since he's been practically abandoned, even though it would be for a temporary period.
Or you could always...errr... improvise

*Looks at Ez-8*

Can't last forever though, the unit will degrade overtime anyway until proper parts is used (this also a plot point for Houki's FALKEN and to much lesser extent Cecilia's Wyvern, being super prototypes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasumi View Post
Oh hey, happy 2000 pages.
Old 2013-01-28, 07:03   Link #40005
Eratas123

Happy 2k anniversary.
Old 2013-01-28, 07:30   Link #40006
demino_hellsin
That one guy

@zero: for IS, I only imagine physical maintenance is not required. The problem is data management, The IS has two relevant data plots, baseline and latest. If my hypothesis is correct, the IS core requires initial input or baselines to learn about the frame(this may be what Kanzashi was working on). Latest data is concerned on the IS evolution tech like when Tabane checked Byaku(It automatically readjusts statistics according to what should be optimum efficiency in relation to the pilot's ability, which is Ichika's problem).

Manual corrections for either are required and downright torturous, especially for the Ichika type problem. It's basically pruning excess data and reverting it to older form, though if you overextend the delay on pruning the data then your input history overwrites it completely from the database(think internet history).

If my theory is followed, Byakushiki's imbalanced auto-tuning is because Ichika isn't really doing so good as a pilot so the IS is compensating for it. Booster issue is because Ichika's maneuvering is based on pace switching. The boosters are pulse type to allow them to quickly switch up speeds and corner, but this makes acceleration and maximum speed suffer. The Setsura cannon is fixed into a one shot one kill setting due to Ichika practically never firing continuous shots. In fact, he doesn't use it much at all which leaves the self-improvement program stuck on what it's supposed to do so tuning updates are stagnant.

@stratos: Generally yes. I imagine it's kind of like owning a car or playing a survival game with practically no bullets. You are very sensitive to scratch marks due to needing a new paintjob and you stick to your knife because bullets are worth more than gold in weight. Kind of like that I guess.
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-28, 07:48   Link #40007
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Quote:
Originally Posted by demino_hellsin View Post
If my theory is followed, Byakushiki's imbalanced auto-tuning is because Ichika isn't really doing so good as a pilot so the IS is compensating for it. Booster issue is because Ichika's maneuvering is based on pace switching. The boosters are pulse type to allow them to quickly switch up speeds and corner, but this makes acceleration and maximum speed suffer.
You got it inverted, ByakuShiki's biggest problem is it's mediocre mobility (thus poor evasion, due to Ichika's limited skill), it however has IMMENSELY high max speed and raw acceleration (which compensate, allowing Ichika to strike first with OHKO Yukihira before enemy can react, but only so much, because more skilled will able to react to lessens the damage)

Pulse jet, by theory, is more fuel efficient than rocket (without being heavy like turbojet/turbofan), however even in real life, mismatched timing will pull the curve down, and creating a good enough valve is unattainable yet, so pulse jet is pushed aside. As noted, in ByakuShiki's case it's SOFTWARE problem, not hardware.

Quote:
The Setsura cannon is fixed into a one shot one kill setting due to Ichika practically never firing continuous shots. In fact, he doesn't use it much at all which leaves the self-improvement program stuck on what it's supposed to do so tuning updates are stagnant.
I agree with this, it is a weapon created on the spot.
Old 2013-01-28, 07:55   Link #40008
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Hmmm... Ichika's fighting style till now has never been about a straight sprint as far as I remember. I mean sure it is but he always interlaces it with sudden stop and starts. If this were the case, which kind of booster would be most efficient?
Old 2013-01-28, 08:09   Link #40009
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Quote:
Hmmm... Ichika's fighting style till now has never been about a straight sprint as far as I remember. I mean sure it is but he always interlaces it with sudden stop and starts. If this were the case, which kind of booster would be most efficient?
Never straight line, but when he's shot by his enemies, all he did is very basic turn while running at full speed. He could stop abruptly then accelerate again using his engine's crazy thrust, creating a fast but very awkward zig zag movement instead of beautifully executed maneuver.

He relied on high T/W engine with high maximum V, this kind of engine... well, is too ideal to be true, this leaves one thing to be sacrificed: fuel efficiency

1. Turbojet/Turbofan had high fuel efficiency but poor maximum V, due to air drag problem.
2. Rocket had immense T/W and virtually unlimited Maximum V but VERY poor fuel efficiency, won't last for even a minute.
3. Ramjet has high maximum V and T/W value, but only efficient at very high speed, it couldn't be used to accelerate

All three are 'basic' engine type, but none of them require 'precise timing of ignition and fuel spraying' which is what Tatenashi claimed, Pulse Jet did.

Once again, please take this as grain of salt. It could be just Izuru slap something and forgot it (though the way it applied is very much correct).
Old 2013-01-28, 08:16   Link #40010
demino_hellsin
That one guy

So there is no way for Ichika's flight pattern habits to affect the pulse engines this way?
Old 2013-01-28, 08:58   Link #40011
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Nope, it's all on the setting. If it's about his flying pattern, then someone will notice him already.

Oddly enough, properly made, Pulsejet is a good compromise between turbine and rocket in strength and weakness, which is exactly what ByakuShiki need. Rocket also hard to adjust (literally all or nothing, bad for cornering unless it could be vectored), while turbine has slow response (Ichika's dash-stop-dash method is not possible)
Old 2013-01-28, 09:06   Link #40012
demino_hellsin
That one guy

What if... just a stupid thought. What if the base settings were already proper? I mean it's the fuel spraying and ignition timing that were thrown off kilter right? Maybe this sudden stop start flight style caused the IS to try and adopt another type of timing to the pulse engine fuel spray? If the pulse engine by default is no good for the way he flies that is. He gets mroe comfortable with the new skewed settings but it screws up the system overall?

plausible?
Old 2013-01-28, 09:19   Link #40013
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Why not? Pulse Jet is immature kind of engine (hence exotic status, not considered 'big three'), the lack of human intervention made the adjustment kinda...off. The new, valveless design especially, it's lacks of major moving parts means adjustment = major retool.

Human can always properly adapt to faulty machine, but even advanced machine can be thrown off balance by faulty human. Just ask Graham Aker and Amuro Ray
Old 2013-01-28, 09:22   Link #40014
demino_hellsin
That one guy

In my idea of IS maintenance, the tech crew work as both designer and gardener/custodian. It's their work to put in initial values and hardware drivers or establish the "factory settings" and then they need to keep trimming off unwanted "adaptations" by the IS
Old 2013-01-28, 09:24   Link #40015
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Thumbs up

Quote:
In my idea of IS maintenance, the tech crew work as both designer and gardener/custodian. It's their work to put in initial values and hardware drivers or establish the "factory settings" and then they need to keep trimming off unwanted "adaptations" by the IS
This, brother.

Exactly this, thank you. I might use this to draw the difference between the two ByakuShiki unit, aside form obvious difference in chassis size.

Ichika's old chassis corrupted during dimensional shift because of lack of maintenance even, because the accidental status of the jump process (Yukihira got it worst)
Old 2013-01-28, 09:28   Link #40016
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Pilot maintenance in my version isn't in depth. The tech crew put a certain setting and tell the pilot to reset to this value every so and so hours of engagement. Should they want more freedom of control, preset values are saved and suggested values are told to the pilot and what to expect of value modification. So pilots know how to tune, but not to the same degree as an actual tech.

Just putting this up.
Old 2013-01-28, 09:35   Link #40017
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Quote:
Pilot maintenance in my version isn't in depth. The tech crew put a certain setting and tell the pilot to reset to this value every so and so hours of engagement. Should they want more freedom of control, preset values are saved and suggested values are told to the pilot and what to expect of value modification. So pilots know how to tune, but not to the same degree as an actual tech.

Just putting this up.
Judging from what I read in the novel, this is pretty much canon.
Old 2013-01-28, 10:11   Link #40018
StratoSpear
Titans Test Team Pilot

Writing up the final-ish scene for Chapter 4, then I spotted in Google Maps, a train station in Tokyo called "Gotanda".

Old 2013-01-28, 10:19   Link #40019
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

I believe it's not coincidental

Gotanda is NOT a common name
Old 2013-01-28, 10:30   Link #40020
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Does anyone here use nanometal in their story? And if no, how advanced is such a thing compared to IS tech?

Tags
fanfic ideas, fanfiction, ff.net, harem, is fanfic, warning fanfic spoilers, wincest